GTAV single-player and general gameplay thread

Anyone who thought GTA4 was "dull" were clearly only playing the story.

That's not where 90% of the fun of the games is.

Sorry, but pardon? I barely bothered with the story, put in around 35 hours. I'm aware this is, generally, a GTA fan thread, so no doubt those terrifying negs will kick in but the world felt sterile, dull, and after 15 or so hours, it just got incredibly boring. I'll admit, I never made it to the 3rd island, but pretty much driving around doing 'wacky' things, or shooting people with the rather shite control system got incredibly tedious. Gorgeous world, not enough to occupy it.

I'll buy this, day one, but for the simple reason that I'm looking for just a tiny bit of that GTA3 wow factor which I've been searching for since. If it is, basically, just GTA4: SA, I'll be a tad annoyed, to be honest.

BREAKDOWN 8

A car! Some rubbish! Men! Cars! Lighting effects! Mountain! Helicopters! JUST SAYING WORDS OF THINGS!

I was in a bit of a hurry for the later ones. But I've done the boring work of capping and uploading the shots, so feel free to add your own commentary.

I'm no graphics whore but the people in this look really plasticiney, it's like the sims, they could do with some decent skin textures at least. Everything looks really blocky and dated.

So this is definitely the same badly optimised engine is it? I don't care what a game looks like so long as it runs well, managing to look bad and run bad at the same time is quite a feat though :D

Erm, apart from the fact it was the most amazing realised world ever created, and still stuns, even on a 360...to this day.

I am a graphics whore and that vid looks lovely. It may have run lower then 30fps but look at what its running. There is no interactive world that comes close so to say it looks a bit dated is a bit silly when you look at what your actually seeing.

Erm, apart from the fact it was the most amazing realised world ever created, and still stuns, even on a 360...to this day.

I am a graphics whore and that vid looks lovely. It may have run lower then 30fps but look at what its running. There is no interactive world that comes close so to say it looks a bit dated is a bit silly when you look at what your actually seeing.

Surely there's nobody left who still thinks the GTA4-engine character animations look good, though? That shot about a minute into the trailer of some dude running away from some other dudes kind of confirmed that they're still all going with the "hurrying"-across-the-street-because-a-car's-coming version of running. It's a problem with attempting realism in your animation, I guess, but it's still a problem.

They may not look amazing but taken into context with everthing else being done to portray a living breathing city they're fine.

Even if they've jut re-drawn GTA IV in a new enviroment and changed the story, thats fine with me.

I'll assume nothing's changed from GTA IV with exception of above and hope i get some nice suprises.

I'm no graphics whore but the people in this look really plasticiney, it's like the sims, they could do with some decent skin textures at least. Everything looks really blocky and dated.

So this is definitely the same badly optimised engine is it? I don't care what a game looks like so long as it runs well, managing to look bad and run bad at the same time is quite a feat though :D

Sorry man, but this is the funniest thing I've read all week.

By any measure you want to choose it looks significantly better than GTA IV.

Without going all Master Race it's probably running on a PC. Would be nice if it looks like that on the consoles though.

Surely there's nobody left who still thinks the GTA4-engine character animations look good, though? That shot about a minute into the trailer of some dude running away from some other dudes kind of confirmed that they're still all going with the "hurrying"-across-the-street-because-a-car's-coming version of running. It's a problem with attempting realism in your animation, I guess, but it's still a problem.

Yeah, the bit where someone pushes someone else over looks awkward as ever. As long as they still do ragdoll cartwheels when I explode something uder their feet I'm not bothered though.

I think GTA IV is still a very beautiful game, although the upscaled lower resolution is painfully obvious these days. When it comes to lighting and atmosphere it's great though. I completed it a few months ago after a long hiatus, and I was still very much impressed by it, which is quite something considering it's now a pretty old game. A helicopter chase over Time Square in the orange light of a sunset is still amazing.

I'm loving reading posts across the net where people are picking apart various screen grabs. Has it been mentioned here about the guy hammering in the for sale sign, and below him the house number 2405. Leading people to believe it will be for sale 24th May :)

I'm loving reading posts across the net where people are picking apart various screen grabs. Has it been mentioned here about the guy hammering in the for sale sign, and below him the house number 2405. Leading people to believe it will be for sale 24th May :)

I can't ever remember a game coming out on a Thursday before but you never know!

I can't ever remember a game coming out on a Thursday before but you never know!

Yeah that is a bit if a sticking point. But they back up their claims by saying the album containing the song used in the trailer was released on 24th May. I know it all sounds tinfoil hat-ish, but it's fun to read.