IGNORED

Axetivision

footle

Activision has hit DJ Hero developer Freestyle Games with severe layoffs and axed the Guitar Hero series, Eurogamer understands.

United Front's open world game True Crime has been cancelled, sources have told Eurogamer.

An announcement is expected tonight ahead of the publication of Activision's financial results.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-09-activision-kills-guitar-hero

Hmm.

WTF?

Its their biggest franchise isn't it?

Nope. DJ Hero underperformed, and Guitar Hero 5 was practically a flop - and although not directly connected, Band Hero, Rock Band 3 and Rock Band: The Beatles have all under-performed. Viacom have similarly ditched Harmonix too. The music genre is over now as far as big business is concerned.

I'd lament it, but then again, I have Rock Band instruments, and with all the Rock Band 1, 2, DLC and Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits songs, I have much more material than I've got time to consume at the moment. I'm certainly not motivated to go out and buy Rock Band 3 or Guitar Hero 5.

COD is raking in more and more sales each year, unlike the Tony Hawk's series. It's going to take a while for that one to decline.

In fairness though, Tony Hawk 1, 2, 3, 4, their various re-releases and Underground had a broadly upward trend, and only then did it go downhill. Time will tell with COD. That being said, I think they could go on with it considerably longer because as a plot-based shooter, it can have different settings each game. I think there's more room to maneuver in the "real-world-inspired-but-actually-fantasy-military-shooter" subgenre than the skating genre.

DJ Hero was always a massive risk - not just with the declining music game sales but because the uptake was never going to be there when compared to the GH/RB games.

A real pity because what came out of it was an excellent game, yet the cost to develop may well have outweighed and returns.

Still it was a big risk, I'm not sure why anyone thought there was enough of a Market/need there to support it.

Guitar Hero's death is, frankly, overdue. Compared to Rock Band, it's a joke.

They must have lost a fortune on Guitar Hero: WoR. You see piles of unsold guitar bundles everywhere.

The only real shame is that their plastic guitars are so much better than Rock Band's.

Wonder if Harmonix can buy the brand...

UPDATE: Reports are coming in that layoffs have also hit the Activision-owned developer Vicarious Visions. BioWare developer Manveer Heir tweeted this evening to say, "Ugh sorry to hear about the Vicarious Visions layoffs today after Guitar Hero canceled. Shitty. Sounds like Freestyle (DJ Hero) got hit too."

Geoff Keighley confirming that Acti have canned TC: Hong Kong and Guitar Hero. (note the 2011 for GH, sounds like they intend to give the series a break instead of canning it completely)

It's official: Activision will not make a Guitar Hero for 2011, and has canned True Crime: Hong Kong.

:(

Hm, giving Guitar Hero a break rather than canning it completely would be a good shout. I don't think people are bored of the genre, the market is just oversaturated.

And, of course, people would be interested in buying new Guitar Hero games and instruments for the next-gen consoles when they come out.

Some really positive previews of True Crime recently - had a ground up reworking since the last and looked like one to watch... :(

Hope the studios can survive in some form - we're losing so much talent from the industry this gen.. :(

United Front confirm that Acti canned TC: Hong Kong.

Special Announcements:

TRUE CRIME: We are sorry we did not get a chance to complete this project with Activision, but we understand why. We are both committed to doing quality games and nothing less. Maybe we will have a chance to work together in the future, but in the meantime we are setting our creative sites on a different horizon. You can keep up with the latest developments at UFG here on our site.

http://www.unitedfrontgames.com/

Such a shame. :(

Can you smell that? That is the scent of a very disgruntled studio doing their best to stay polite and formal.

I am confident the studio will find another publisher, unless Activision is going to act like a cunt. I do not know if the whole Brutal Legend debacle is comparable to this but Acti really did not play nice that time.

At least the developer of Guitar Hero 2 is still going ;)

Oh aye. I was more excited by the arrival of RB3 last year than pretty much any game ever. While the interest in music games may have declined in the general publics eyes, I still love them. :wub: