The Shadow Line

FishyFish

So, it looks like the theory posited recently was about right, if things were going smoothly, but now there's a spanner in the works as one faction seems to be trying to usurp another.

At least I assume as much, that brunette woman seems like a spook to me. (incidentally, is she the same one who was trying to track down her fella by talking to bob a few weeks back?).

I was expecting a bunch of surprises in the latest episode and that is what we got but they were all still ones could not have seen coming.

The whole show still only hangs together in its own self created reality of nuttiness. The last episode particularly was taking some massive liberties with the plausible. Not that that stopped me enjoying it.

My now refined theory is that counterpoint is a high level conspiracy that has the police as part of the smuggling operation too. (Possibly simply to make some high ups look good.) Police money buying drugs (that happened to be stolen from the evidence room). All being arranged by shadowy spooks. I though Petra was working for Gatehouse where it now appears she was just working for the conspiracy he was part of. Gatehouse has been trying to get everything back on track since it all went tits up because Gabriel got near to working out that it was police money paying for the stuff Glickman was accumulating to get Wratten his pardon.

Glickman fucked that up proper with his attack on Gatehouse, so Petra tried in turn to clean up that mess. But Gatehouse was not having that, he knew someone would come to clean up and waited until they did to make his move. Now he is a free agent, god know what he will get up to.

Also, what will Rattalack do, in the absence of his line to the money through Gatehouse? This could leave Bede right up it with Babur.

To be honest I am not sure how they can tie this up without indulging in even more nutty implausibles. We shall see.

I was right about the truth though. It is better not to look into the dark, there are monsters there that will eat you and your children.

What a cracking end to it, you were pretty much spot on with your thoughts very enjoyable series.. at the start I thought it came accross as a bit slow and wanky arthouse, but the second episode really grabbed me.

A really well shot,written and acted show. Well done the BBC!

I thought Rafe Spall was excelent, he came accross as a very scary, mentally unhinged psycho... very reminicent at times of Heath Ledgers Joker.

I really enjoyed that. The ending was a little sad but kind of inevitable given the foreshadowing. Gabriel just could not let it go. Bede eventually decided he could. Everybody else comes out of it looking very dodgy indeed. Which is, I guess, the entire point really.

Gatehouse will be unforgettable.

Finally finished this last night, and I thought it was a wonderful show. The heavily stylised nature of it doubtless put some people off, and Rafe Spall got lost in a couple of eps, but Gatehouse was one of the best characters in recent years (great performance by Stephen Rea) and the plot was pleasingly twisty-turny (as well as being batshit-mental). I personally loved the style of direction and dialogue delivery, so I was well happy. More like this please, BBC2. Though we all know there won't be, as the ratings dropped off a cliff. Sigh. Silly impatient, lowest-common-denominator audiences.

It's also one of the more kill-happy shows in recent memory. Reminded me of Game of Thrones with its "nobody's safe" mantra.

Didn't get along with this, it seemed to equate throwing a dozen disjointed elements and plot twists at you with creating a deep, dark conspiracy. The angry one-on-one conversations in flats/corridors/boats got tedious too. Also I can't have been the only person to almost laugh on certain occasions, the police captain playing with giant red dice, the clock shop bomb, boat suicide and baby salute.

It is a shame though as the criminals were all excellent villians and if you gibbed off the cops mistress, nosey journo and gay police captain there might have been enough space to make a tighter story based around Gatehouse/Jonah/Bede.

Didn't get along with this, it seemed to equate throwing a dozen disjointed elements and plot twists at you with creating a deep, dark conspiracy. The angry one-on-one conversations in flats/corridors/boats got tedious too. Also I can't have been the only person to almost laugh on certain occasions, the police captain playing with giant red dice, the clock shop bomb, boat suicide and baby salute.

It is a shame though as the criminals were all excellent villians and if you gibbed off the cops mistress, nosey journo and gay police captain there might have been enough space to make a tighter story based around Gatehouse/Jonah/Bede.

Yeah, I also thought the tone was all over the place. There were just too many scenes where I couldn't tell if they were meant to be intentionally funny or not. Gatehouse kept me watching though.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got round to finishing this, and definitely enjoyed it.

The final twist was one I'd been waiting about 3 episodes for, but I still smiled a bit when it happened. From the very beginning, it seemed like a Macbeth style tragedy to me, and that was almost the final piece. As soon as it became clear that we were watching a tragedy, most people's endings were easy to predict based on their morality. Part of me hoped that Gabriel would turn at the end though.

As people have said, the tone was occasionally all over the place, and Rafe Spall's appalling stage-school open-mouthed gurning managed to grate more than once - dropping your bottom lip and self-consciously licking your lips does not make you the Joker- but I'd definitely watch something by the same crew again.

I've seen that a lot of people online agreed with you, but his performance just didn't do it for me at all. Everything seemed wildly affected. But everyone else was very watchable for me.

Except for possibly Kiersten (?) Wareing, doing a very predictable 'hard-nosed female cop in a man's world' routine as Honey. Then again, I've heard that she's great in other things too.

• 9 months later...

Odd series, I found every singly episode really slow until the last 15 minutes when it would all be pulled together. The highlight for me was the second episode with the slow (at first) chase on foot. Gatehouse has some amazing lines and he's a real menace, a polite English terminator.

I don't know if anyone noticed but there was a real emphasis on stillness and background noise. Creaks on floorboards, the clink of china, the high hiss of electronics or lighting, gave it a really harsh feel.