Bridesmaids - From producer Judd Apatow

I got nothing this week. Superbowl trailers haven't hit yet, I'm working then coming home to paint for two hours, wife is heavily pregnant, three year old daughter is already mad at unborn child. All I've got is the trailer for Bridesmaids. I'm sorry. But it's got Rose Byrne!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srObsPPmgDY

(why is Chris O'Dowd from the IT Crowd playing a US Cop?!)

post-242-018914500 1296591733_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

saw this earlier - pretty good, it has been pimped as a female hangover - not really that type of film...some great performances, kirstin wiig running sh*t, also had the guy from the IT crowd as the love interest, he was actually well suited for it, didnt expect that...also the draper from mad men with a small role...this one is worth seeing....probably one of the better comedies this year I`d say (not much competition though)

Saw this one at the cinema last night.

It's being touted as a "Hangover for Girls" type of film, but as said earlier, that's not really true.

Instead, this is a film that can be summed up as an "Apatow movie for girls".

The difference is that this film has an actual emotional arc for it's character to go through, much like the 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People had those types of arc's weaved into their storyline. And to be honest, next to Forgetting Sarah Marschal, this is easily at the top of my fave Apatow productions. The lead Kristen Wiig is really funny, very touching at times and when in the second act of the movie you see her rage boilling over because of someone

stealing her idea for a french shower

, you really feel for her.

For me however, it's the supporting cast that get the most praise, my personal favourites being Chris O'Dowd as a likeable cop and Melissa Mccarthy as a bit of a butch girl character who get's all the best lines in the movie(and one of the most hilarious scenes involving an Air Marschall).

The only negative for me was that, as with Knocked Up and 40 Year old Virgin, the movie feels a bit to long an drags a bit at the end because of that. Even so, the jokes keep coming untill the very end and you do wind up hoping Wiig's character get's her shit back together.

Funniest movie I've seen in a while.

4 stars out of 4.

Best film of the summer so far...

Actually emotional without being cloying, Nice arcs for most of the characters some very cringey but believable moments and lots and lots of laughs. It's very hard to balance a movie like this but it did it very well thanks to it's cast Kristen Wiig was fantastic, in fact the whole cast were amazing one person who i was not expecting made the whole cinema light up when he walked on screen.

As long as it isn't some strictly chick-flick I guess I could stomach it, having liked the other Apatow stuff.

The difference is that this film has an actual emotional arc for it's character to go through, much like the 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People had those types of arc's weaved into their storyline.

More of similarity than a difference then...

Really enjoyed this last weekend. Didn't find early scenes especially funny but it really hit its stride once it had established the characters and plot. A real cut above the other comedies of its ilk as there are numerous well rounded, funny characters with their own stories and the film genuinely has something to say that's worth hearing.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this earlier tonight. Cinema full, which was interesting. According to my sis we were laughing more than other people but it was very very funny.

If you're mulling over whether or not to take the plunge do so. Rose Byrne and Kristen Wiig both standouts, alongside Melissa McCarthy. Pretty much fell in love with all three of them.

• 1 month later...

Is this all the praise Bridesmaids got around here? :lol:

It's been a while since a film made me laugh so consistently throughout...maybe I'm a just sucker for explosive diarrhoea and vomit gags, but it tickled me.

Feig and Apatow creations are always a pleasure, and credit has to be given for successfully making a funny female movie. Rare things indeed.

Saw it the last day of our holiday with the MILwhen it first came out in cinema and we both laughed our arses off. I'm really not normally into chick type flicks but the movie started funny and just got a hell of a lot funnier as it went on. Sure you could tell what was going to happen without needing to break out the crystal ball to know what was going to happen, but it didn't matter in the slightest Absolutely loved Melissa McCarthy, stole pretty much every scene that she was in.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for this movie but I thought it was a total turd of a comedy.

The only funny characters were the two guys.

Yep, sentimental crap, blatantly aimed at females only. The female Hangover this is not. Two very funny sequences, the other 90% of the film was a complete letdown.