rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Magic: The Gathering

I used to play this casually like 10+ years ago. I got speaking to a friend from work who said he has started playing it which gave me the incentive to get back into the game.  So got myself a Kaladesh deck builder kit and then got some booster packs and have had some fun constructing decks.  Right now it will just be causal games between friends but hopefully I'll aim for the next prerelease they have, because they seem really fun.

• Upvote 1

Me and a friend recently went halves on a rivals of Ixalan booster box and had three games of sealed. The format isn't as good as using standard decks and that but it is quite fun. I love trying to construct a deck with limited cards available.

I prefer draft to sealed, as while it's still dependent on luck to a certain extent, building your card pool does require some level of skill. Of course, it's a lot easier grabbing one person to play sealed with than it is to get a table of people together to draft.

How is standard right now? I played about 50 games (rough estimate) with a UW God Pharaohs Gift deck before Christmas having not played standard at all for a year or so, but the amount of mono red and energy decks were exhausting. Have the bans helped in that regard?

Anyone heading to GP Birmingham? I'm going on Sunday to draft and play Pauper. Prep is not going well, I've not played in months and I'm terrible now. 

That said I accidentally won one game on Magic Online because my opponent managed to cast a removal spell on their own creature when trying to tap it for mana, so maybe I'm not doing all that badly...

Is anybody especially knowledgeable about prebuilt decks? I have been picking up random prebuilt decks whenever I'm out of my wife's sight and I have a friend coming over tomorrow and was wondering if there are any particularly even matchups etc. 

The decks I have are:

Tezzeret

Ajani

Nissa

Eldritch Moon

And a Japanese set of two: Nissa vs Ob Nixilis (or something)

I assume that they are all from different card sets etc. but is it okay to mix and match; are there any particularly unevenly strong/weak decks; or are there any matchups that might make for an interesting game in among that lot? 

Anybody know?

Sorry it's a bit late @Tourist, but the planeswalker decks (Tezzeret, Ajani, Nissa) are intentionally pretty well balanced and should play nicely with each other.

The Nissa vs Ob Nixilis decks you got are what's called a Duel Deck, which are specifically designed to be played against each other. In theory, they would be your best bet for a balanced game. There are a bunch of other Duel Decks, but they've recently stopped producing them, so if you want more I'd get them soon.

• Upvote 1

Anyone here tried Arena? As a died-in-the-wool Hearthstone player I'm keen to try the mother of all card games in a free-to-play online format. Should I give up before I get sucked in, or persevere? Any good sites for advice on playing with measly pre-constructed decks?

On 02/11/2018 at 17:54, Padster said:

Anyone here tried Arena? As a died-in-the-wool Hearthstone player I'm keen to try the mother of all card games in a free-to-play online format. Should I give up before I get sucked in, or persevere? Any good sites for advice on playing with measly pre-constructed decks?

I played in the beta, and whilst it's very good, it's also grindy as all hell to get competitive decks. I came at it as an enfranchised Magic player though, and I can imagine it's very frustrating trying to learn the game with a crappy precon deck whilst some guy uses a tier one deck to stomp you. 

If you want a good starter deck, look at some red lists, and switch some of the rare cards out for commons and uncommons. Mono-red decks (in the current standard format, at least) play similar to zoo lists from Hearthstone, attempting to swarm the board with cheap creatures and win the game before your opponent can get going. You'll get a few cheap wins for way, and be able to figure out what kind of deck you'd like to play before using all your rare and mythic rare wildcards.

If you do push on with it, MTGGoldfish is a great resource for decklists and the current meta, and Channel Fireball has loads of articles on strategy with regards to individual decks. As for advice on playing with preconstructed decks, my advice would be to try a few, and if any click, look into making them more consistent - they'll quite often only have 1 or 2 of a key card for the strategy, meaning you can't rely on seeing it all too often.

As you can see by the fact that I'm posting almost two weeks after you, it's fairly dead in here - Reddit has a bunch of Magic sub-pages, the main one in particular can be good for new players.

• Upvote 1

I've jumped on the Arena bandwagon now that draft has been introduced :)

It's definitely a grind to get all the cards you need, but they've done a decent job with the starter decks - instead of feeling like the usual inconsistent junk you expect from a starter they are just about playable as you get hold of them, and can be upgraded with only a few wildcards (though I remain unconvinced that's a good idea unless you wanted to playv the deck anyway).

Loving how they've managed to make MTG feel quick and snappy for the majority of its interactions.

I adore MTG Arena.

The last couple of months I've been spending about £55 and that's allowed me to draft every other day.

This month I've still got enough gems left over to pay for every other day still and I currently have 30,000 in gold which is going towards the new set. Hearthstone is pretty much dead to me now.

I've bought a Magic The Gathering War of the Spark Pre Release box and collectors box with ten booster packs but have never played the series before. Would anybody know of any easy to follow beginners tutorials they'd recommend?

If you have access to a Windows PC then the best thing to do is download Magic Arena. The tutorials there will explain all the basics, and there’s a skill progression tree which ends up unlocking basics decks in most of the colour pairs so you can get a feeling for them all. 

• Upvote 1

Have never played MtG before but I was bored the other day and decided to have a look at Arena and I’m absolutely loving it. 

Quick question though if I may for those in the know...

I see there’s a maximum of 4 of any given card. What happens if I’ve already got 4 and then get another copy? Do I get a full wildcard for it instead? 

I understand that in real life I would just be tough, but of course I’d have the ability to trade it with someone which I don’t online. 

I fancy a go at Drafting as that seems like a good way of building up my card collection, but without remembering exactly what cards I’ve  already got and how many, it seems fairly risky that I’d end up picking stuff I’ve got already which seems a big waste unless extras are converted to wildcards. 

The way that fifth copies work is a little opaque. There’s this thing called “the vault”, which you accrue progress towards opening as you obtain fifth copies of common and uncommon cards (and by opening packs I think?). Either way, they hide your progress towards it opening until you get to 100%. When you do open it, you’ll find it has wildcards in. For rares and mythic rares, there’s duplicate protection to prevent you getting fifth copies. If you ever get a complete set then you get gems instead. Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

That’s brilliant, thanks for the clarification. I’ll have a read up and try and get my head around what’s going on. 

Either way, as long as I’ve not got a niggling feeling that I’m pissing away my money / gold / gems I can get on with enjoying the game. 

On 20/05/2019 at 18:15, bridger said:

That’s brilliant, thanks for the clarification. I’ll have a read up and try and get my head around what’s going on. 

Either way, as long as I’ve not got a niggling feeling that I’m pissing away my money / gold / gems I can get on with enjoying the game. 

Glad you’re enjoying arena, I think it’s superb.

if you can resist opening the vault you can easily see your progress to the next unlock.

On 17/02/2020 at 12:16, catinthehat said:

I forgot we had a dedicated thread.  I just posted an MTG question in ATF.  Can any of your help?

I don't know how easy it would be getting a box, but Khans of Tarkir was highly regarded for drafting, and has some value in the fetchlands so you might even get lucky and get your cash back. If you really want to push the boat out, the Masters sets were designed to be played in limited formats (much to the annoyance of most players as they were hoping for more staple constructed cards), and if you're all familiar with the rules, Unstable was supposed to be great fun.

More recently, I've also enjoyed Guilds of Ravnica and War of the Spark on Arena, each of which you should be able to get for about £100 a box.

• Upvote 1

Reading your OP again, seeing as you haven't played in a while, I'd suggest War of the Spark. Getting a Planeswalker in every pack is fun, and makes for a more unique experience.

• Upvote 1

Khans is a brilliant set, but you may struggle to find it affordably.

Theros: Beyond Death is receiving a lot of good press, and War of the Spark is also highly thought of, but WotS is quite a complex set and the Planeswalker static abilities can be a bit of a pain to keep track of if you're not all experienced players.

• Upvote 1