PGR2 makes me feel down

Cyhwuhx

.::: A bit odd this one. While the Kudos are enough reason to boot up PGR2 I'm finding myself struggling to not hate the graphic-part of the game.

The cars' appearances still lack the (seemingly) patented GT-wow effect, but I can live with that. Yet, the cities you drive through are just mindnumbingly dull. Both in 'design' (I know they're existing cities) as in colourpalette. Whatever they did to it the cities don't feel like cities. They're soulless places where demons have appearantly sucked every ounce of life out of everything.

Or something like that.

Whatever the case the game is depressing me because of it. Combined with the menu's and their background music it's forcing a cemetary-ambience unto me. I've been trying to counter-effect it with uplifting custom soundtracks but it ain't working as well as I hoped.

The game stays... 'dead'. (Even with Hyrule Symphonies providing the Wind Waker Sailing theme.)

Is this what happens when realism goes too far or am I paranoid? Have others experienced similar feelings with other games? Is PGR2 too heavily focused?

In retrospect this is probably what I hated about Ridge Racer V as well...

Is this what happens when realism goes too far or am I paranoid? Have others experienced similar feelings with other games?

It's not the realism. It's the fact that the cities are TOTALLY empty and soulless. This is not realistic. If there were cheering crowds, traffic parked on the other side of the barriers, neon-signs animating and stuff happening you wouldn't feel that way. Take Top Spin for example: it's a very realistic game, but it feels vibrant and alive due to the audience, voices, applause and ambient sounds.

Driving around PGR2 feels like driving around a ghosttown. Where did everybody go? Why doesn't anybody come watching the race?

-Edit- I've got this same feeling on Midtown Madness 3. While the city is very busy and full of traffic and pedestrians in the single player game, there isn't a single living soul to be seen on Live, except you fellow-players.

the GT series gets around this by placing loads of crowds (however static).

Most people watching a race stand still, so the effect stands.

In the city tracks of Mercesdes World Racing, the same applies as per GT, but races in the Alps have all manor of objects in the sky.

Even Wipeout has some starships and trains moving about.

Such a simple thing too.

.::: Mercedes-Benz World Racing... Wow, that game's environments captivated me truly. I have spent afternoons in that game just driving around admiring the scenery. It felt like you actually were somewhere.

And indeed Midtown Madness 3 on Live is as soulless as PGR2.

Guest Penguin_Lad
And indeed Midtown Madness 3 on Live is as soulless as PGR2.

I find PGR2 on LIVE great if you are with people you know.

That and I just swear and get angry a lot...to other peoples enjoyment no doubt.

I read and thought about it, and I agree with lack of astmophere in the game. Maybe it need to take a leaf out Ridge Racer for next PGR III game :)

I mean compare this to Tiger Wood 2K4 for example. You can see animal running around in the background.

and little animals make it a better golf game?

PGR 2 has all the atmosphere you need - you're driving around in near perfect copies of a bunch of cities, for crying out loud! I've noticed little vespas in italy, and other vehicles and roads that do absolutely NOTHING, but are there when they don't need to be.

I know what you mean, MSR and PGR1 were the same. Haven't played PGR2 but it's disappointing to hear they haven't sorted that out. It's like Quiet Earth: The Racer. Strange and slightly sad that this should make such a difference but it certainly does for me.

you cant tell me that the game lacks atmosphere. While barrelling through the streets of Edinburgh with someone breathing down my neck, the outcome of the whole race depending on the line i take through the next corner, i have never once thought..."you know what.....this is really dull".

At the end of the day, its all about the thrill of racing which i think PGR captures extremely well. I think the devs have tried to put in lots of atmospheric touches (leaves/rubbish blowing across the track, the trees moving in the wind etc) to be honest.

I've seen the train, rubbish, birds and leaves.

It does still seem empty though but i'm usually too busy racing to notice.

If the game has a problem it's the impossible speed boost the computer drivers have on platinum mode. Now that makes it seem unrealistic.

It's a racing game. It doesn't need shitty 2d sprites at the side of the road (GT3, I'm looking at you!). It has the odd flock of birds, some papers on the road in Edinburgh, trains and a boat on the river in Stockholm, and some leaves in Washington. So what? it's all about the racing and I really don't need distractions when I'm trying to nail the next platinum medal. I like it the way it is because it streamlines it all down to what you need to be aware of. The track, the other cars and winning and that's about it. Perfect. I would even say it's better than MSR, my favourite racing game until this. PGR2 is just aceness personified.

If the game has a problem it's the impossible speed boost the computer drivers have on platinum mode. Now that makes it seem unrealistic.

I noticed that bit then I also noticed that they stick to your rear end when they do it... They're drafting you just like you can do to them. I thought that was pretty impressive once I noticed this.

I noticed that bit then I also noticed that they stick to your rear end when they do it... They're drafting you just like you can do to them. I thought that was pretty impressive once I noticed this.

I'm talking about when they're in front.

I was playing it on my friends last nite trying to get him platinum on the last race on the first series. On more than one occasion he pointed out how it was impossible the way they were pulling away from me. Watching the radar makes this even more obvious.

I tend to agree with the "soulless" comments, though. I'm finding it a massive disappointment so far.

It's an improvement on MSR & PGR, what's not to like? It's sufficiently different enough from the Burnout and Gran Turismo series to happily co-exist with them.

I dunno, the environments will always be lifeless in PGR2, but at least some effort has been made (rubbish blowing about in Edinburgh, birds flying about). There's some utterly gorgeous tracks though. The one in Florence with light streaming through archways is particularly lovely. Edinburgh's pretty smart too, though some American's say "Hey, isn't that Scottish Castle?" when they drive past it. Hmm.

On Live!, it's great. Slick and lovely, and very few glitches. Shame the front end sucks...

Steve :)~

On Live!, it's great. Slick and lovely, and very few glitches. Shame the front end sucks...

.::: When I saw the front end for the first time, I almost went ballistitc. I loved it. A few gamehours further I was wodnering why the hell it was so cluttered. Info is too close to each other. A shame as I still like the vertical menu.

To get back on-topic; as a comparison I booted up R4 again. And it looks alive despite it never really showing people or anything (during a race). It changes color a lot and shows natural environments. It just feels better. (As a side note HOLY COW, collission detection between cars themselves have improved dramatically over the years.)

Really, I understand people are loving the game itself, it just strikes me as odd, that such a high profile title is so (pardon the errornous pun) 'liveless'. You are all correct to just discard the comment as being unrelated altogether as the game focuses on racing.

Still I like to connect to the game is some way or another. Metroid scared me back when I was a kid, and it conencted to me in a negative way but because of it left a mysterious 'taste'.

PGR2 doesn't leave a taste at all... It feels more like a tool to race. A very very good tool indeed, but I wouldn't put in on a mantelpiece in the living room so to speak.

I feel the same way about FF Tactics, I suppose you could say that the game is a mechanism that real-world stuff (meeting up with your mates online, trying to be the world's best/planning character growth and mulling over your overall stategy) grows from.

I think they were trying to do a Colin McRae 4 with the front end, and, er, failed. At least Colin's front end looks designed instead of thrown together. This is painfully obvious in the lobby section, with that same bastard yellow Porsche on the 20 seconds of FMV going past the same sodding branch of Boots. You see, the Lobby is a place which should of had a replay of your past race. Bah.

There is no justice.

Steve :)~

i guess maybe Live racing breathes life into the game that makes me play it to death. Would i play this if it was purely off line? I'm not too sure to be honest, i hardly touched pgr1 (my loss i expect) and without Live PGR2 is very much like its predecessor.

I still maintain however that the game is far from soulless.

I went back and played GT3 yesterday and the graphics on there are still really nice and they are a hell of a lot more colourful than PGR2...maybe its a colour pallette issue as there is comparatively just as little stuff happening in the GT3 backgrounds.

Hmm. I am not getting this whole "feeling down" thing. This is the most fun I have had with a racing game since PGR1. It just feels so great when you powerslide round a corner, just missing the side barrier. I think it is a bit unfair to criticise it for being drab, when they have modelled it to look as close to real life as possible. I think the real life city tracks are better than made up fantasy tracks. I too had a look back at GT3 and for me it is dull dull dull. That game has never made me as happy playing as gotham 2 has. I think people just have different ideas of what makes a fun, good looking game, as this for me is easily the best racing game of the year.

Hmm. I am not getting this whole "feeling down" thing.  I too had a look back at GT3 and for me it is dull dull dull.

no, me neither, i was just comparing the graphic styles of these racing games. I was trying to understand the reasons why people may feel the way they do about pgr2, and gt3 in terms of colouring is very bright compared to pgr2 so that could be one thing. In terms of pure enjoyment i've had more fun out of pgr2 than the whole of the GT series (not that that is a slight on the GT games, its just me).