rllmuk
jonnyalpha

What are you playing?

2 hours ago, revlob said:

Did you finish the game? How long did it take? I've heard horror stories of games at high player counts taking forever.

After a one hour recap of the rules, it took us 5+ hours to finish the game. Next round will be a lot faster as we had three new players this time.

44 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

The only horror story I see there is glasses on the game board! On the Board!!

I need a lie down.

None were on the board sir! Only the table! And yes that glass of red did get smashed that night.

Broke out Tiny Epic Zombies after buying it a couple of weeks ago on a whim. (I should just back these on Kickstarter, I will wind up with all of them anyway.) We didn’t quite get the rules about turn actions right so we ran out of time but it’s another win in the series IMO: a deep but accessible take on a popular concept with loads of permutations.

And the itemeeples are delightful.

Currently i'm playing Earthbound, my favorite RPG ever. The ambience of the game is completely different from any other game i've played, everything seems like it came straight from an acid trip, the NPCs, the enemies, the soundtrack - specially the soundtrack, the locations, everything is just so psychedelic and ''weird'' that caught me.

I wonder if games like this exists.

Pandemic Legacy 1 - April (Don't read unless you've played)

Well that took a turn! Didn't see angry rage monsters coming! That was a bit of a shock

April (Early) spiraled quickly out of control, and we lost [Having won the last 3 games the government decided we didn't need funding to stop the horrible, unreachable diseases. Thanks!)

No horrible scars etc, but the world just spiraled beyond what we could control. 2 took the researcher and the scientist - the Researcher just ended up following the scientist around to pass them cards (hoping for good draw). Didn't work and was ineffective.

April (Late) didn't go much better. Epidemic on turn 2 even with 2 money. Red diseases exploded everywhere. We fought back and managed to get in under control - but were so far up the outbreak track a loss looked certain.

We managed to pull it back and ended up winning on our last turn. Chuffing tense and 2 guys had to work out a very convoluted plan at the end to get the cards needed to the right persons (80% of the yellow cards were in last 1/4 of player deck).

Still we won (so they took our money off us) - but a lot of the world is now panicing - we've no one at level 4 yet though)

Upgrades - we've done 2 black cards into unfunded events (to make them less pointless) and 2 starting military bases (to help us go for the 6 base objective...if we want

This continues to be a very strong experience.

• Upvote 4

I received the second print of Gloom of Kilforth about 10 days ago.  From the SP perspective, by choosing random races, roles and personal quests, this offers a really neat puzzle game of reasonable length (90 minutes) wrapped in a phantasy RPG setting.  It also has competitive and co-operative modes for a group.  Some definitions in the rules are not ideal (Imo) and some of the "pimped" components should have been included as standard, but otherwise all good!  Artwork on the location cards in particular is excellent.

• Upvote 3

Had a few sessions of "7th continent" with two friends. I'm sure we're miles away from curing the first (20hr+, apparently) curse, but as fairly experienced gamers, it's been interesting to note what's going on in the design of the game.

Firstly there is the "choose your own adventure" style exploration, which is exhilarating with the wealth of options available to you at any one time.  Obviously this is going to be lessened upon subsequent visit to the continent - but the randomisation element (there often being multiple versions of a numbered card, and you randomly choose one) is a clever way of meaning revising this isn't entirely redundant.

Then there's the deck/hand management which you soon realise is essential.  The eating food to replenish the "action deck" is the way to make sure you don't trigger the end of game.  We had a particularly hairy moment, down to the last card in action deck in order to go fishing.  Luckily the fishing was successful, and some hasty gourmet cooking actions restocked the deck.  Phew.  Genuinely tense stuff.

There's also been moments of laughing out loud at the amount of effort (cards from our action deck) we've put in to ensure we succeed at a task (I'll not spoiler what it was), assuming the rewards would be worth the sacrifice.  ...to be rewarded with nothing at all other than a flavour-text telling us we felt good about ourselves.  One of the people I was playing with noted that had this been AD&D you'd be furious at the DM, but here you laugh it off, and it becomes A Memorable Moment.

The rpg-esque development of your character, with skills/ideas that then can be crafted into items also adds to a feeling of being pleased you have a balanced party ... fighter, healer, clever-one also tickles the D&D itch, somewhat.

All told, I'm having a great time with it.  (Despite some of the card/hand management not being entirely thematic).  I'm definitely looking forward to our next sessions.

Had a few sessions of "7th continent" with two friends. I'm sure we're miles away from curing the first (20hr+, apparently) curse, but as fairly experienced gamers, it's been interesting to note what's going on in the design of the game.

Firstly there is the "choose your own adventure" style exploration, which is exhilarating with the wealth of options available to you at any one time.  Obviously this is going to be lessened upon subsequent visit to the continent - but the randomisation element (there often being multiple versions of a numbered card, and you randomly choose one) is a clever way of meaning revisiting this isn't entirely redundant.

Then there's the deck/hand management which you soon realise is essential.  The eating food to replenish the "action deck" is the way to make sure you don't trigger the end of game.  We had a particularly hairy moment, down to the last card in action deck in order to go fishing.  Luckily the fishing was successful, and some hasty gourmet cooking actions restocked the deck.  Phew.  Genuinely tense stuff.

There's also been moments of laughing out loud at the amount of effort (cards from our action deck) we've put in to ensure we succeed at a task (I'll not spoiler what it was), assuming the rewards would be worth the sacrifice.  ...to be rewarded with nothing at all other than a flavour-text telling us we felt good about ourselves.  One of the people I was playing with noted that had this been AD&D you'd be furious at the DM, but here you laugh it off, and it becomes A Memorable Moment.

The rpg-esque development of your character, with skills/ideas that then can be crafted into items also adds to a feeling of being pleased you have a balanced party ... fighter, healer, clever-one also tickles the D&D itch, somewhat.

All told, I'm having a great time with it.  (Despite some of the card/hand management not being entirely thematic).  I'm definitely looking forward to our next sessions.

• Upvote 5

Played Eldritch Horror with 7 players at the weekend, and...it was just awful.

I always describe Eldritch as a "bullshit simulator" in a similar way to Betrayal at House on the Hill, as there's very little player agency that doesn't come down to a dice roll. Usually you just accept that you'll have some good rolls, you'll have some bad rolls, and you'll probably lose, but there will be some entertaining nonsense along the way. Despite what that may sound like, I enjoy Eldritch Horror for what it is, provided everyone's on board with that and doesn't take it too seriously. This time however, all seven of us failed to roll a success (5 or 6 on a D6) for over an hour, during which time 3 Investigators became Cursed (making success require a 6 on a D6), and everything went to shit around us. We had one new player and one rules lawyer however, so things went to shit really slowly. Around 3 hours in we gave up, feeling frustrated. 

To lighten the mood we then played Triple Agent, which was excellent. Basically One Night Ultimate Werewolf but played entirely through a single person's phone with no cards required, Triple Agent assigns each player a team (with additional roles available if you get the paid version), then issues a series of events. The "briefing" for each event is read aloud, telling everyone who the event is for, and whether it's going to provide that player with information about others, ask them to reveal something about their role, or possibly change their team. Only the player with the active event has the phone however, so although the event briefing is known by everyone, the player can lie through their teeth about what the outcome of the event actually was. After a few of these events there's a discussion phase and a vote: if more players vote to imprison a "good" player, the traitors win, and vice versa. 5-9 players (free version plays 5, I think) - great one to have on your phone.

• Upvote 5

Just played Powergrid (honestly found it a bit dull), but then a game so bad I left the club (not BM! a different club). Jack box on the Switch. When I pointed out it was like CAH, everyone else thought that was a great thing :( Was really enjoying the people as well

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Just played Powergrid (honestly found it a bit dull), but then a game so bad I left the club (not BM! a different club). Jack box on the Switch. When I pointed out it was like CAH, everyone else thought that was a great thing :( Was really enjoying the people as well

Its not really like CAH. The cards in CAH don't require you to be clever or funny, if you deal a random card into each round it'd just as likely get chosen.

I assume you played Fibbage? Its more like the board game Balderdash. You have to be creative to trick other players. Fair enough if you don't like it though!

2 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Nah, we played Rap Battle, and I was told to be as offensive as possible.

Ah, never played that mode. My apologies! There are some great modes in jackbox though, but yeah, "be as offensive as possible" isn't a great game premise!

10 hours ago, Tourist said:

Is jackbox the console party game that you play with your phones? That is truly terrible.

Yes. Genuinely a terrible gaming experience

It was really slow and boring as well.

• Upvote 1

It can depend on which of the minigames you play; some are much better than others. We've had some great times playing Fibbage, which is simply an online version of Balderdash. A lot of the others are somewhat forgettable.

• Upvote 2

Daughter and I tried out Viticulture today over lunch at Sheffield's shiny new boardgame cafe. Lovely experience, friendly staff, good food and a decent bar :hat:

The game was superb too - we were worried we wouldn't finish in time, but it turned out she had a secret plan to whup my ass, so that was all fine. Definitely going on the shopping list, I can see why so many people have loved it for so many years. Loved the "seasons" mechanic as a conceit for the turn structure, and the "just enough randomness to keep you on your toes" of the visitor cards. Worked great with 2 players, would be awesome with more.

• Upvote 3

Still on a massive 18xx binge, most recently 18Ireland, which is definitely one of my favourites so far. 

Lots of tough decisions, nice tight map, no obvious easy money routes. Love it. Due to start a new game tomorrow and can't wait.

• Upvote 1

On 10/04/2019 at 16:44, Cosmic_Guru said:

I received the second print of Gloom of Kilforth about 10 days ago.  From the SP perspective, by choosing random races, roles and personal quests, this offers a really neat puzzle game of reasonable length (90 minutes) wrapped in a phantasy RPG setting.  It also has competitive and co-operative modes for a group.  Some definitions in the rules are not ideal (Imo) and some of the "pimped" components should have been included as standard, but otherwise all good!  Artwork on the location cards in particular is excellent.

I really enjoy GoK, although I’d say it’s really a solo game. When playing in a group there wasn’t really any interaction. The rules are hard work though.

Played the Mother of Dragons expansion for game of thrones this week. 7 players with Greyjoy as a vassal. I was targareon and was close to winning but Martell snuck in and took some of my Essos cities to clinch it.

I loved it, the dragons can fly anywhere on the board at any time so it completely changes the flow of the game, the Westeros houses schemed against me so I was constantly trying to bribe individuals to help me get a foot in the continent. I'm really intrigued to try it with less players and more vassals.

Tried a friend's Kickstarter of that massive Batman game yesterday. It was good fun, although the 'readability' of the game isn't great, the art and design are a little confusing but after a few turns it really started to flow. Good fun but now Conan is about £40 in many online stores it seems a much better value proposition.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

I really enjoy GoK, although I’d say it’s really a solo game. When playing in a group there wasn’t really any interaction. The rules are hard work though.

I was thinking that a group playing co-operatively would want to stay in close contact and do a lot of swapping of rumour or asset cards so as to play to each other's strengths and thus expedite levelling up.

I don't think that Hall or Nothing do the best rule books.  They seem to like lists, and then repeating or summarising those lists which don't become any clearer in so doing (1066 is the same).  The folded up player checklist is helpful though once you've cracked the basics.  Some of the terminology is a little strange too.  I just think of completed encounters as my character's experience gain (not a term used at all), which may either be immediately converted into a rumour card or be kept in hand for use later that day to level up.  I also think the naming of Boss "plot" cards is a bit strange; minion would be better.

Picked up the new game by The designer of Quacks - Die Tevernen im Tiefenthal, it’s a deck builder where you’re upgrading your tavern to attract nobles and increase your reputation. The twist is it’s also a dice drafting game after you place your cards. 

Like quacks it comes with a bunch of modules you can add in to expand the game as you please and has a lovely modular board for all the upgrades. Think it’s going to go down well as another mid length filler. 

2F1C54E0-EDB7-4F15-A83D-7ED18FD1677A.thumb.jpeg.0cee8e634d9e24d6a5584df609cc3a78.jpeg

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I was thinking that a group playing co-operatively would want to stay in close contact and do a lot of swapping of rumour or asset cards so as to play to each other's strengths and thus expedite levelling up.

I don't think that Hall or Nothing do the best rule books.  They seem to like lists, and then repeating or summarising those lists which don't become any clearer in so doing (1066 is the same).  The folded up player checklist is helpful though once you've cracked the basics.  Some of the terminology is a little strange too.  I just think of completed encounters as my character's experience gain (not a term used at all), which may either be immediately converted into a rumour card or be kept in hand for use later that day to level up.  I also think the naming of Boss "plot" cards is a bit strange; minion would be better.

Yeah - maybe it’s my group but it didn’t really work like that. 

The terminology really threw me. Stuff like deeds for actions and ‘veil’ for tap or exhaust. I get that he’s trying to make it sound more like a story - but it made learning the rules harder. I found keeping track of AP quite difficult too.

The art as well... there’s almost too much of it and a lot of it looks a bit as though it was drawn symmetrically with one half slightly altered after copied. 

that said, I do really enjoy it. Just took much longer to learn than it should have. Like all games, it’s pretty straightforward once you get your head around the unique terminology.

1066 is a great game.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Yeah - maybe it’s my group but it didn’t really work like that. 

The terminology really threw me. Stuff like deeds for actions and ‘veil’ for tap or exhaust. I get that he’s trying to make it sound more like a story - but it made learning the rules harder. I found keeping track of AP quite difficult too.

The art as well... there’s almost too much of it and a lot of it looks a bit as though it was drawn symmetrically with one half slightly altered after copied. 

that said, I do really enjoy it. Just took much longer to learn than it should have. Like all games, it’s pretty straightforward once you get your head around the unique terminology.

I put my AP markers on my character card each day to keep track of them (also the purple +1 marker).  I also use two sets of markers for the two tunnels and the 4 square skull tokens to mark destinations I want to travel to to "discover"  (another bad term) my rumour card i.e to convert the rumour into a useable asset.

After floundering around a bit with a couple of solo characters (dwarven fighter had to be easiest surely?) and then playing a "competitive" 3H game since that seemed the easiest way to actually reach the boss fight (you only needing 2 bits of experience for each stage of levelling, and also for one character to be able to power level those lagging behind), I had a look at the card decks and that helped me realise what is going on and why the dwarven fighter class is so tough to play as a first game.  The terrain type decks are asymmetrical! The mountains are crawling with enemies compared to other locations, and dying or serious injury in this is so problematical because of AP loss (I suppose this is rationalised as a sort of stamina loss, won't kick in though if you fight before supper!).  I also had a look through the various asset decks to see how they fit into different categories because the variety is initially bewildering.  

Now it's random solo mixes all the way, and from it's initial complexity the game resolves itself into a quest to, in particular, get those early and by far the most tricky levels accomplished efficiently by uncovering encounters, after which, if all goes smoothly, the minions and other Boss buffs can be dealt with, with the luxury of high AP.

• Upvote 1