What are you playing?

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

I really enjoy GoK, although I’d say it’s really a solo game. When playing in a group there wasn’t really any interaction. The rules are hard work though.

I was thinking that a group playing co-operatively would want to stay in close contact and do a lot of swapping of rumour or asset cards so as to play to each other's strengths and thus expedite levelling up.

I don't think that Hall or Nothing do the best rule books.  They seem to like lists, and then repeating or summarising those lists which don't become any clearer in so doing (1066 is the same).  The folded up player checklist is helpful though once you've cracked the basics.  Some of the terminology is a little strange too.  I just think of completed encounters as my character's experience gain (not a term used at all), which may either be immediately converted into a rumour card or be kept in hand for use later that day to level up.  I also think the naming of Boss "plot" cards is a bit strange; minion would be better.

Picked up the new game by The designer of Quacks - Die Tevernen im Tiefenthal, it’s a deck builder where you’re upgrading your tavern to attract nobles and increase your reputation. The twist is it’s also a dice drafting game after you place your cards. 

Like quacks it comes with a bunch of modules you can add in to expand the game as you please and has a lovely modular board for all the upgrades. Think it’s going to go down well as another mid length filler. 

2F1C54E0-EDB7-4F15-A83D-7ED18FD1677A.thumb.jpeg.0cee8e634d9e24d6a5584df609cc3a78.jpeg

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I was thinking that a group playing co-operatively would want to stay in close contact and do a lot of swapping of rumour or asset cards so as to play to each other's strengths and thus expedite levelling up.

I don't think that Hall or Nothing do the best rule books.  They seem to like lists, and then repeating or summarising those lists which don't become any clearer in so doing (1066 is the same).  The folded up player checklist is helpful though once you've cracked the basics.  Some of the terminology is a little strange too.  I just think of completed encounters as my character's experience gain (not a term used at all), which may either be immediately converted into a rumour card or be kept in hand for use later that day to level up.  I also think the naming of Boss "plot" cards is a bit strange; minion would be better.

Yeah - maybe it’s my group but it didn’t really work like that. 

The terminology really threw me. Stuff like deeds for actions and ‘veil’ for tap or exhaust. I get that he’s trying to make it sound more like a story - but it made learning the rules harder. I found keeping track of AP quite difficult too.

The art as well... there’s almost too much of it and a lot of it looks a bit as though it was drawn symmetrically with one half slightly altered after copied. 

that said, I do really enjoy it. Just took much longer to learn than it should have. Like all games, it’s pretty straightforward once you get your head around the unique terminology.

1066 is a great game.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Yeah - maybe it’s my group but it didn’t really work like that. 

The terminology really threw me. Stuff like deeds for actions and ‘veil’ for tap or exhaust. I get that he’s trying to make it sound more like a story - but it made learning the rules harder. I found keeping track of AP quite difficult too.

The art as well... there’s almost too much of it and a lot of it looks a bit as though it was drawn symmetrically with one half slightly altered after copied. 

that said, I do really enjoy it. Just took much longer to learn than it should have. Like all games, it’s pretty straightforward once you get your head around the unique terminology.

I put my AP markers on my character card each day to keep track of them (also the purple +1 marker).  I also use two sets of markers for the two tunnels and the 4 square skull tokens to mark destinations I want to travel to to "discover"  (another bad term) my rumour card i.e to convert the rumour into a useable asset.

After floundering around a bit with a couple of solo characters (dwarven fighter had to be easiest surely?) and then playing a "competitive" 3H game since that seemed the easiest way to actually reach the boss fight (you only needing 2 bits of experience for each stage of levelling, and also for one character to be able to power level those lagging behind), I had a look at the card decks and that helped me realise what is going on and why the dwarven fighter class is so tough to play as a first game.  The terrain type decks are asymmetrical! The mountains are crawling with enemies compared to other locations, and dying or serious injury in this is so problematical because of AP loss (I suppose this is rationalised as a sort of stamina loss, won't kick in though if you fight before supper!).  I also had a look through the various asset decks to see how they fit into different categories because the variety is initially bewildering.  

Now it's random solo mixes all the way, and from it's initial complexity the game resolves itself into a quest to, in particular, get those early and by far the most tricky levels accomplished efficiently by uncovering encounters, after which, if all goes smoothly, the minions and other Boss buffs can be dealt with, with the luxury of high AP.

• Upvote 1

Played Fluxx and Colt Express with the family over the weekend.

Fluxx was good fun, and I managed to win, so it was officially the best game ever.

Until we played Colt Express, which I also managed to win by an absolute country mile. So that's now the best game ever.

Yay for wins!

Our lot took a break from Folklore the Affliction (which was getting stale) to play a game of the CMON Godfather game. Pleasantly surprised to discover it was loads better than I was expecting. A mix of worker placement and fuck you job cards kept it interesting till the end. We were all in with a shot of winning at the end which is a good sign. I came second but it was some distance behind the winner. A decent little game to be fair. That said, after seven weeks of Folklore I could have played Munchkin and enjoyed myself I reckon.

Oh and 878 Vikings which I thought was great cos I won & the loosing team got proper salty :)

Pandemic Legacy - May

Won this first try. Very lucky with some card draw. To be honest every month of this could be the same review - excellent evolving rules, challenges and powers that keep it feeling fresh. Plus due to RNG nature of cards (and their impact) pretty sure no games are the same.

Roadblocks and a MurderColonel! But also now PlayerCards spawn CoDa. That's a nasty spin to keep track off.

TBH we breezed this (another in the group thought it was tightrope the entire time) - very lucky with decent card draw for Scienctist meant we cured Red  and Blue very early. Blue was soon eradicated, and Red exploded (avoiding an outbreak just) but we could manage it. Then a matter of positioning and Yellow.

Containment of Coda was name of the game - and the Faded Cities are starting to encroach into blue which is problematic. We only Roadblocked on city to try and stop an outbreak. Not sure we used roadblocks well.

Quarantine, Ops, Dispatcher and Quarantine were our team. The Dispatchers "move a pawn to a pawn" ability

is amazingly strong.

Double Upgraded Blue disease so easier to cure in future.

• Upvote 1

We failed both attempts at May. It was a while ago, and for one reason and another, we haven't managed to get our regular participants back together to tackle June. Hopefully should manage to in the next few weeks. Looks like tons of stuff gets added at the beginning of June, so I'm looking forward to it.

Played Journeys in Middle Earth last night... it's fucking ACE.  

If you like that Mansions of Madness type narrative game you'll like this.  Borrows from a number of different games MoM, LotR LCG, Gloomhaven, Arkham LCG.  Unlike MoM, there are no dice.  You have a deck of powers you can selectively use... but the trick is that your deck is also used to pass tests.  When you 'scout' at the beginning of your turn you draw a number of cards as instructed by the app, choose one and then put the others back on the top or bottom (or both) of your deck in any order.  Of course, some of the best powers are also the cards most likely to help you win a test, so that's where the real decision making comes in.  Certainly feels more 'boardgamey' than MoM does - which to me is more about playing through a story. 

Loved the first scenario we played and I can't wait to batter through the whole thing.  Also, for a LotR fan - the mini collection is going to be absolutely vital as the game evolves.

• Upvote 5

Still making our way through The Dunwich Legacy, Undimensioned and Unseen. Once we got a sense of where the scenario was going we basically holed up in the place you can Resign from and held out until we were on the verge of death. We didn't really make a difference to the narrative but it was a glorious failure.

• Upvote 1

Just to echo @scottcr that JIME is excellent. Played the first two chapters through solo with two characters, and beat both missions (only just for the second one - literally snatched an unlikely and air-punching victory on the last possible card turn before guaranteed failure).

The app is great, the artwork is great, the music is well done, the mechanics are fun (if a little too much shuffling of your skill decks), and it seems well balanced.

If you like MoM, IA or Descent with their apps, and you like the LOTR licence (though I hope they do more with it in time), you’ll bloody love this.

Can’t wait to play more.

• Upvote 4
On 27/04/2019 at 22:54, Alex W. said:

Still making our way through The Dunwich Legacy, Undimensioned and Unseen. Once we got a sense of where the scenario was going we basically holed up in the place you can Resign from and held out until we were on the verge of death. We didn't really make a difference to the narrative but it was a glorious failure.

I recently finished Carcosa. If you like Dunwich, you’ll LOVE Carcosa

• Upvote 1

Nice, I'd been starting to ponder our next campaign now we've got the last couple of Dunwich packs. (I think I got the last copy of Lost in Time and Space in existence, it's out of stock everywhere and it was the only one left on the rail in our local physical game shop.)

Our current plan is to go back through Dunwich with new decks though, my wife's still fuming that we only saw two train cars in that particular scenario and I want to try a Mystic.

• Upvote 1

We made it through Where Doom Awaits! Unbelievably tense but a clever play with clue-finding abilities saved the day at the eleventh hour.

I looked at some of the cards for the next scenario and the existential dread is palpable, but at least we’ll go down fighting.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

We made it through Where Doom Awaits! Unbelievably tense but a clever play with clue-finding abilities saved the day at the eleventh hour.

I looked at some of the cards for the next scenario and the existential dread is palpable, but at least we’ll go down fighting.

Lost in Time and Space is a lovely little scenario

Carcosa is a great expac and camapign, and does some interesting things.

I've got all off the Forgotten Age and haven't played it. Chum and I might skip to The Circle Undone as TFA sounds harder the diamonds.

Azul - Stained Glass stuff

Finally played (an) Azul last night. And it's ok...I suppose. Didn't get all the hype.

Disclosure: I utterly HATE Splendor. It's "fine" mechanically - but in my experience you sit in silence for 45 minutes engine building and then someone wins. There's so much going on you have to focus so there's no social side. Which is largely why I'd avoided Azul

Azul - I disliked how RNG it was (RNG mat set up, RNG tiles, RNG bonus per round) - which felt it could really help or hinder you. Everyone's in the same boat obviously, but it felt inelegant from the start. There's still involvement in terms of planning and executing, but it still felt like a game were a good (but not overwhelming) proportion came down to chance of the opening draw. I'd play it again - but it wouldn't be my first choice. It's much better at letting you interacting/chat with other people though.

Lovely components though - but I hated the fact there was no way/points to make an aesthetically pleasing window display. You match the colours on the tiles (randomly laid out) who cares if they clash. Boo hiss!

The Quacks of Quedlinburg. You've probably heard of it, because designer Wolfgang Warsch is so hot right now (also, it won last year's Kennerspiel). If you haven't, then it's a push-your-luck bag-building game about brewing potions. You pull ingredients one by one out of your bag, and pray you don't pull enough 'cherry bombs' to cause your cauldron to explode.

It's really fun! While a lot of PYL games are quick filler affairs, this has just enough going on to elevate it to being a properly satisfying board game experience. I immediately wanted to play it again after finishing our first game. It has some clever catch-up mechanics to ensure you don't fall too far behind the leader, and it looks great on the table, with some really nice and colourful pieces.

Got my copy of D6 Dungeon today - great game, tense stuff towards the end. The components could have been better, however (had at least one dice with a fairly sizeable crack in it which has caused a bump on that face). He was talking about getting wooden/plastic waffles at some point, though, so hope for better dice too!

The recent Asmodee digital bundle has inspired me to play Pandemic. I spent last night playing about 10 games with four pawns, failing to win them all (spent quite a while dusting off my rusting understanding of the rules - in about every single one of the first 5 games I attempted what I thought was a real humdinger of a move only to discover I had misunderstood, eg. airlifting the operations guy to the same spot as the scientist so he could build a research station with his free build action for the scientist to cure at the start of her next turn, except he doesn't get an EXTRA build action, he just gets to build without discarding, etc. etc.).

Finally broke the back of it by playing with only two pawns, which was a relief because I needed to sleep. Hoping to get the boardgame out with my wife and daughter at the weekend but am almost 100% certain my wife will refuse to play (my daughter is desperate to play but it's a little bit beyond her so she'd need an adult partner...)

19 hours ago, Tourist said:

Finally broke the back of it by playing with only two pawns, which was a relief because I needed to sleep. Hoping to get the boardgame out with my wife and daughter at the weekend but am almost 100% certain my wife will refuse to play (my daughter is desperate to play but it's a little bit beyond her so she'd need an adult partner...)

Have you thought about getting Forbidden Island to play with your daughter? Similar mechanics and scalable difficulty but much lighter and child friendly too.

• Upvote 1

I’ve managed to beat Forbidden Desert with my 6 year old, with a bit of coaching. I think the theme of Pandemic would be a bit heavy for her, though. Forbidden Island would be perfect, but I only have a digital copy. 

I recall concluding that Forbidden Island was an objectively better game than vanilla Pandemic for some easily argued reason which I have now forgotten. Oh well.

I like Desert; I wouldn’t say it’s better or worse than Island, but different enough to be it’s own animal. The storm mechanic, though a bit fiddly and confusing at first, means that you don’t get into that rather unthematic card-counting behaviour that you get in Pandemic/FI, where you can make educated guesses about when certain locations will come out of the deck.

Has anyone played Forbidden Sky?

• Upvote 1

Forbidden sky is more of an evolved desert rather than island. It has really nice pieces and adds a layer of complexity to the game, which is welcome if you've progressed through island and desert, due to it requiring much more specific win conditions.

As expected, my wife had no interest in Pandemic, so I played it solo and let my daughter move the pieces and hold the cards etc. She still seemed to enjoy it, and got a kick out of saving Tokyo. 

She also enjoyed a game of Greedy Wizards! 

Greedy Wizards.jpg

Greedy Wizards 2.jpg

• Upvote 3

Just had a very hefty box containing Gloomhaven arrive. Probably going to play it solo with random people hopping in from time to time. Lots and lots of cardboard in that box.

• Upvote 4

Enjoy. It's fast becoming my favourite game of all time, we've been playing in a group of 4 for ages (50 hrs game time so far) and there's enough game there to keep us going for a good couple of years at the rate we play :) 

• Upvote 1