Convention sounded great though! :)

8 hours ago, Blunted said:

That does not sound delicious.

Convention sounded great though! :)

:lol: bad typo 

6 hours ago, Tourist said:

Was the Thing game this one?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75828/thing

It was this one https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226634/thing-infection-outpost-31

Pretty simple game, and lives or dies on the players playing it 

• Upvote 1

Also had our weekly gaming group last night. Played Nippon from What's your game and absolutely love it. Played it four times now and only just sneaked a win last night. It has a lot of moving parts but on your turn you do one action and then it passes on so it plays really quickly. Some quirky mechanics with action selection and victory point allocation. 

Also played Nmbr9 (fun but frustrating), Kingdomino (expert level) and 6Nmmt (hilarious). Other group played Kingsburg and 7 Wonders whilst we were playing Nippon. 

If anyone is ever around on a Wednesday, you're always welcome to drop by :)

I got to play the most recent Scythe expansion last night, The Wind Gambit.

TWG is composed of two optional modules for Scythe. The Resolution module alters the game's ending conditions, so instead of the game grinding to a halt when someone completes their sixth objective, you choose one of a selection of eight new alternate conditions, which all tweak the final few turns of the game in different ways. Some are more interesting and drastic than others, but there's a fair mix of different ideas in there. For example, one of them adds a doom track which ends the game only after everyone has had exactly 20 turns, another resets all the encounter tokens when the last one is taken off the board. The resolution we played last night triggers an explosion at the Factory two rounds after someone places their fifth star, and any characters standing nearby are killed and sent home in exchange for extra popularity.

The other module, and the one the expansion is really about, is the Airship module. This gives each player a huge airship mini in their colour at the start of the game. Airships are non-combat units that can be moved just like your mechs, except they can cross water from the start. Everyone's airship has the same abilities, and these are randomly selected (or chosen) before the game begins. The airships will receive a passive ability and an aggressive ability, and there are an interesting mix of options here too, which affect other units sharing the same hex as your airship. In our game, our airships had the 'Boost' ability to increase the movement range of any unit starting from the airship's hex, and 'War Correspondent' which would award you with bonus money if a combat occurred on your airship's hex while it was carrying workers.

I'd say the Wind Gambit is a must-have for anyone who is lucky enough to play Scythe regularly, as it'll make every game feel a little bit different. But the airships are an additional layer on top of what is already a fairly complex game, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't played the game a few times before. Utilising the aggressive abilities of the airships is quite difficult, and will be a rare occurrence in your games unless you play at the higher (5+) player counts.

• Upvote 5

I played Scythe the other day, still really like it. I completely dominated the table though, I seemed to be the only player interested in getting to the factory and getting stars down. I had 6 stars out when the closest player had 2. I was also sprawled over half the map including the factory. There were only 3 fights in the whole game, 2 from me, for location and resources, which somehow came as a shock to the other players. 

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

I played Scythe the other day, still really like it. I completely dominated the table though, I seemed to be the only player interested in getting to the factory and getting stars down. I had 6 stars out when the closest player had 2. I was also sprawled over half the map including the factory. There were only 3 fights in the whole game, 2 from me, for location and resources, which somehow came as a shock to the other players. 

The game is an efficiency engine, and the players who aren't as good at planning or making decisions based on value will fall behind quite quickly. This does unfortunately lead to some quite significant deviations in final score, compared to similar eurogames. It's definitely a game best enjoyed with players of equal ability.

6 hours ago, bobin said:

Where is it? I believe you’re local to me...I work in Deeside. 

Hold on a sec... I think we work at the same place. Your avatar...

Been trying to pull my boys away from the PS4 a bit and play some unplugged games, and by picking themed ones for them, its gone pretty well. It's standard fare, but we have Love Letter, Fluxx and Munchkin, all the Adventure Time editions. 

We love playing them all, but then I got the Munchkin Adventure Time expansion. It's made our games a lot longer, and brings out all of our petulant streaks, it's brilliant. I find myself getting genuinely annoyed when they do something against me, and my youngest (they are 12 and 14) can throw a right hissy fit. I might have to take out the expansion cards for a few games so it doesn't take as long.

At my semi regular gaming group, 7 wonders plus expansion is always a favourite. My 14 year came a while back and enjoyed that. We also play a lot of Bang! as a quick game, dice based Western, and the expansion has made that more fun too. Citadels is a regular too, Roborally if there are just 4 of us. We play a wide variety but its got to be something people can pick up quickly as we have different people each time. We played a Dracula one which was fun for 4 of us, where one person has to evade the rest of us, can't remember the name.

• Upvote 3

Had a very good game of the Arkham Horror LCG, just Midnight Masks with upgraded versions of Wendy and Skids. Lots of interesting choices; Wendy’s skills give her lots of spells and Skids’ give him lots of resources for assets.

Edit — Daisy not Wendy. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/01/2018 at 09:39, Vorgot said:

Been trying to pull my boys away from the PS4 a bit and play some unplugged games, and by picking themed ones for them, its gone pretty well. It's standard fare, but we have Love Letter, Fluxx and Munchkin, all the Adventure Time editions. 

We love playing them all, but then I got the Munchkin Adventure Time expansion. It's made our games a lot longer, and brings out all of our petulant streaks, it's brilliant. I find myself getting genuinely annoyed when they do something against me, and my youngest (they are 12 and 14) can throw a right hissy fit. I might have to take out the expansion cards for a few games so it doesn't take as long.

At my semi regular gaming group, 7 wonders plus expansion is always a favourite. My 14 year came a while back and enjoyed that. We also play a lot of Bang! as a quick game, dice based Western, and the expansion has made that more fun too. Citadels is a regular too, Roborally if there are just 4 of us. We play a wide variety but its got to be something people can pick up quickly as we have different people each time. We played a Dracula one which was fun for 4 of us, where one person has to evade the rest of us, can't remember the name.

My kids (11 and 8) both love Escape The Dark Castle and we've been playing it as an alternative to a bed time story.  Lots of great flavour text and imagery and easy and quick to play.  Definitely recommend it.

Imperial Assault : Campaign Session #2

Or: This feels really really hard for Rebels

Story mission #2: A New Threat. No idea how Rebels were meant to win this. 3 terminals down 3 routes - need all 3 to win, no points for 2/3 etc.

Unknown which terminal is tested by which attribute.

We split our 4 heroes 2:1:1. The two 1s got to their terminals pretty easily and manged their tests in a go or two - no way to get back to third test though

3rd Test - Imperial threw everything at defending this one spot, and then the test turned out to be one that one of two we'd sent couldn't do...and then Imperial player was able to spawn a creature on top of target - delaying us another turn. The mission was dictated after a previous Rebel will - but felt massively balanced towards a compotent Imperial player. We had no info on who to send which way (so a blind choice could ruin us), then had mercy of dice rolls on good choices, and then the Empire can just choose to defend one of the 3 routes.

Looked it up afterwards and there's an 80% Imp win rate on BGG...which feels too much. Was still fun, but clear we weren't going to win from pretty early on - add in this is the first to give bonus XP rewards for winning and feels mean.

Side Mission: Imperial Manufacturing. Imp player forced us to pick this to try and stop him getting a strong upgrade.

Close and made us think tactically - and push the objective hard. Getting through the doors under fire was the biggest issue, but once we'd committed to rampaging, we had it I think.

Have to decide on XP upgrades now. Wait a few missions for amazing cleeve (if the Imp player groups up) or take the movement granting "Force Throw" now. Force Throw feels like it could be very important to get to/from objectives - but also AoE damage might batter latter when the Imp is churning out units with glee.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, scottcr said:

My kids (11 and 8) both love Escape The Dark Castle and we've been playing it as an alternative to a bed time story.  Lots of great flavour text and imagery and easy and quick to play.  Definitely recommend it.

Might well give that a go Scott, cheers

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2018 at 11:28, Hexx said:

Imperial Assault : Campaign Session #2

Or: This feels really really hard for Rebels

Story mission #2: A New Threat. No idea how Rebels were meant to win this. 3 terminals down 3 routes - need all 3 to win, no points for 2/3 etc.

Unknown which terminal is tested by which attribute.

We split our 4 heroes 2:1:1. The two 1s got to their terminals pretty easily and manged their tests in a go or two - no way to get back to third test though

3rd Test - Imperial threw everything at defending this one spot, and then the test turned out to be one that one of two we'd sent couldn't do...and then Imperial player was able to spawn a creature on top of target - delaying us another turn. The mission was dictated after a previous Rebel will - but felt massively balanced towards a compotent Imperial player. We had no info on who to send which way (so a blind choice could ruin us), then had mercy of dice rolls on good choices, and then the Empire can just choose to defend one of the 3 routes.

Looked it up afterwards and there's an 80% Imp win rate on BGG...which feels too much. Was still fun, but clear we weren't going to win from pretty early on - add in this is the first to give bonus XP rewards for winning and feels mean.

Side Mission: Imperial Manufacturing. Imp player forced us to pick this to try and stop him getting a strong upgrade.

Close and made us think tactically - and push the objective hard. Getting through the doors under fire was the biggest issue, but once we'd committed to rampaging, we had it I think.

Have to decide on XP upgrades now. Wait a few missions for amazing cleeve (if the Imp player groups up) or take the movement granting "Force Throw" now. Force Throw feels like it could be very important to get to/from objectives - but also AoE damage might batter latter when the Imp is churning out units with glee.

Yep, a New Threat is pretty frigging difficult, especially so if you're new to the game. A less cynical person might say it's thrown in there to teach new players the importance of gunning for objectives, but it's more likely due to poor playtesting. Plenty of people house rule this mission, e.g. make the terminal colours visible from the start. It is doable, on the play by forum I'm playing on BGG, my group won this before the end of round 5, no house rules, against a very experienced Imperial. We had some pretty good rolls to clear out a lot of enemies though.

Stopping your Imperial from getting Imperial Industry is huge, it's a really good card and you'd be cursing it the rest of the campaign.

Advice on your xp upgrade.

Spoiler

Get Force Throw now and thank me after the next story mission.

6 hours ago, Blunted said:

Picked up Patchwork for a nice easy game to play with the Mrs. Great fun but I am rubbish at it.

Get the app for practice!

• Upvote 1

Rising Sun

Fresh off the factory floor comes another of CMON's success stories. Raising a mammoth 4.2 million dollars, the sixth most funded gaming Kickstarter campaign is now delivering this hotly awaited title to its backers, and one of our group got his hands on his pledge rewards this week. He went virtually all in, and received a huge delivery containing every expansion and additional item bar the art book, and we got to play our first game last night.

Viewed by many as a sequel to Blood Rage, Rising Sun sees famous designer Eric Lang collaborate with the plastic miniature engineers at CMON again to produce a game about putting fabulously detailed dudes on a gloriously colourful map. The box (or boxes, with the Kickstarter exclusive content coming in a second box as big as the base set) belches forth tray after tray of miniatures, including medieval bushido warriors, arcane shinto priests, and of course, gigantic monsters of Japanese folklore. Beyond the plastic people there are many other treasures too, including metal coins, various plastic tokens, and satisfyingly chunky ceramic-like tiles. Last but not least, is the optional printed playmat, which will dominate your table, covering it in an illustrated map of feudal Japan.

Setting up the game requires you to select a clan, gather all your coloured pieces and to place a small starting force in one of the provinces on the map. Across three seasons, players will take turns executing "mandates", setting up a board state to prepare for the War which will occur after eight turns and bring the season to a close. Mandates will see you recruiting and moving units, summoning powerful monsters, purchasing valuable upgrade cards, harvesting rewards from the provinces, and stabbing people in the back and taking their units for your own. This Political Phase is full of difficult decisions, as you weigh up your position on the board, and try to work out the right time for the right mandate, because whatever you pick, everybody gets to take the same action. The deciding player (and their ally if they have one) will get a bonus to whatever action they take, but there will almost always be more than one option that you want to take, and it's painful handing your opponent a deck of mandates after only a single choice.

After all of the mandates for the round have been played, War occurs. A series of battles are fought over the provinces, and wherever two or more unaligned players occupy the same space, only one of them will be emerging the victor. Battles are conducted in an interesting way I've not seen before in a game of this type. While at the end of the day, the player with the most strength in the province will win, before the battle commences each involved player has the opportunity to conduct a secret bid behind a screen, using any funds they acquired during the political phase. There are four actions you may bid on, and when everyone is ready, the screens are removed and the actions are resolved in order by whoever spent the most on each. First, there's Seppuku, and the winner here will see all of their units in the region kill themselves, earning honour and victory points in exchange, but ceding the battle, hopefully seeing the other player waste funds on the subsequent actions that may no longer take place. Then there's Take Hostage, which can remove a single unit from the battle and tip the balance. After that there's Hire Ronin, which allows you to muster additional forces. The battle then takes places, everyone who didn't win dies, and whoever bid the most on Imperial Poets gets to write a haiku, earning VP for each unit killed.

So winning battles is not just a matter of having the right dudes in the right places, but also carefully managing your funds, predicting the actions that your opponents will bid on, and looking for opportunities to double-bluff, inciting others to spend more or less than they should on a battle.

It's a more cerebral game than Blood Rage, and despite only lasting three seasons your games will stretch, as each player will agonise over choosing their mandates, manoeuvring their units, and deciding how to bid during battles. At the end of our four player game we all felt frazzled, I would expect games with more players to melt your brain. I performed awfully, never seeming to be able to keep my dudes on the map, and came last as a result. I don't usually enjoy these Ameritrash games, but I had a good time and cannot deny it looks amazing on the table.

Oh, and it's impossible to put back in the box. Anyone familiar with Blood Rage will understand the difficulties in finding homes for all of the pieces in those flimsy plastic trays. Any game releasing post-Mechs and Minions should not be making miniature storage such a chore.

• Upvote 7

On 1/18/2018 at 10:27, revlob said:

Millennium Blades

This is insane. If you've never heard of it, Millenium Blades is a CCG simulator. It's a game which encompasses not just the actual duelling gameplay of a CCG, but the trading and collecting aspects too, all inside a single (huge, stuffed with hundreds of cards) box. The game begins with each player given a small nine-card "starter deck", and you're immediately thrown into your first tournament. 

I've just bought this and will have it on Monday :omg:

Haven't been so excited about getting new cardboard in ages. It best be good or you owe me £60 @revlob. I did a lot of reading up and watching vids and it does look fantastic, I'm just not sure my regular play group will take to it. The real-time card collecting bit may send the more euro focused folk a bit mental.

• Upvote 1

Clans of Caledonia

I'd initially backed this one before realising I'd spent a fortune on kickstarters and withdrew at the last minute. Several months later it started arriving in peoples hands and the general consensus seemed to be very positive - cue loads of (non)backers remorse until someone here kindly pointed out they had late pledges available.

I've now played it a few times at all player counts and I love it, yes the pieces can seem a little small and the box is a tight fit to get everything back in but the game itself is superb fun (if you enjoy a mid weight economic euro).

You start with your player mat loaded with all the pieces, £55 and starting goods (all variable from the starting tiles) and your clan with it's special power to assist you in game (from a selection of 8). However as every action has a cost for both the unit and the land this can dwindle quickly.

A turn is nice and simple, take one of several basic actions - place units, trade at the market (which changed the costs of goods for everyone), upgrade tech, take an order, fulfil an order (gaining bonuses and luxury goods for end game scoring) or pass (which also determines player order for the next round). You then get your production phase where depending on what's on the board you can get money and goods to sell or fulfil contracts in the next player round. and the scoring phase where points for end of round bonuses are handed out.

The game plays with little down time on a turn and a 4 player game (if everyone knows what they are doing) can pass in about 90 mins and end game scoring can mean it's hard to see a clear winner till you tally up the variety of bonuses available, luxury goods from contracts are added up and each one scored points depending on rarity (goods get 5/4/3 points per good from rarest to most plentiful), separate settlements are scored , most contracts fulfilled and goods and money all score.

Most games I've played have been close even when teaching new players and as an added bonus it also has a nice solo play mode which takes all of 25 mins to run through.

It's not reinventing the wheel here and there are other similar games out there but Clans manages to meld together the best bits of many euros, squeeze a lot of game into a small box and give lots of replayability - I just wish I'd nabbed the version with the metal coins 'cos every game is better with metal coins :)

• Upvote 3

Just now, SimonC said:

I've just bought this and will have it on Monday :omg:

Haven't been so excited about getting new cardboard in ages. It best be good or you owe me £60 @revlob. I did a lot of reading up and watching vids and it does look fantastic, I'm just not sure my regular play group will take to it. The real-time card collecting bit may send the more euro focused folk a bit mental.

I hope you enjoy it! There's a lot of game in the box. The recommended setup for your first game is fine, don't worry about it cutting a couple of mechanics out because there's plenty to get your head around to start with. My advice for the first deckbuilding round: it's very tempting to spend all your cash immediately and buy lots of shiny new cards, but as newbies you can very quickly become overwhelmed, I found it better to pace yourself during those twenty minutes. Don't forget the rule about flipping cards over when you use their action!

I played through my second session of pandemic legacy season 2 over the weekend and we are being absolutely wiped out by it. I feel like we've consistently picked the wrong strategy and just haven't got into the rules... We had a run of 6 games lost! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmyzilla said:

I played through my second session of pandemic legacy season 2 over the weekend and we are being absolutely wiped out by it. I feel like we've consistently picked the wrong strategy and just haven't got into the rules... We had a run of 6 games lost! 

Is there anything like in Season 1 where you get to open stuff if you've lost four games in a row?

Played our first game of Hardback this weekend. It's a deck-building word game, and is the sequel to Paperback. It has the same basic mechanisms (it's like Dominion but making words rather than random combo chains), but they've managed to make it feel substantially different to Paperback, to the extent that it's worth owning both. Paperback rewards players that have a good vocabulary or the ability to come up with longer words, whereas Hardback concentrates more on the gamer-y aspects of chaining combos in shorter words, and introduces a push your luck aspect where you can draw extra letters into your hand but you then have to use them.

It went down really well in a group that included a couple of non-gamers (once they got to grips with the more 'gamey' aspects of it). Going to introduce them to Paperback next weekend and see which they like better.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Professor Rob said:

Is there anything like in Season 1 where you get to open stuff if you've lost four games in a row?

Yeah, not opening a box but you do get to scratch off a card if you're playing that poorly! 

8 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

Played our first game of Hardback this weekend. It's a deck-building word game, and is the sequel to Paperback. It has the same basic mechanisms (it's like Dominion but making words rather than random combo chains), but they've managed to make it feel substantially different to Paperback, to the extent that it's worth owning both. Paperback rewards players that have a good vocabulary or the ability to come up with longer words, whereas Hardback concentrates more on the gamer-y aspects of chaining combos in shorter words, and introduces a push your luck aspect where you can draw extra letters into your hand but you then have to use them.

It went down really well in a group that included a couple of non-gamers (once they got to grips with the more 'gamey' aspects of it). Going to introduce them to Paperback next weekend and see which they like better.

I haven’t had a chance to play it with a group yet but have had a few tries at the solo mode and it’s as hard as nails. 

First game I got beaten 17 to 60, 4 games later I managed 43 to 60. Not that I’m complaining - a solo mode you can beat on the first couple of games isn’t worth playing :)

My copy of Hardback should be arriving this week,  also on the horizon is the next Fowers game, Now Boarding, and wave 1 of the new 7th Continent printing. Excitement!