What are you playing?

jonnyalpha

Got Mansions of Madness a few days ago, played four times so far and love it.

We heard from Marie Leblanc and knew it was bad right away.

Joe and I had dealt with cults before. Joe always says I've been through more cults than most girls have had hair styles trying to find Isabelle and I guess he's right. Whatever it was that Leblanc had got mixed up with must have been bad for her to go herself, and for that tough bird to get lost in must have been worse. Joe was nervous about things so got in touch with that creepy bum he knows, Pete. Smelt him coming a mile off. I can't stand him, or the stupid mutt that follows him around. But he is handy in a fight, and nothing seems to scare him. Must be all that moonshine in him, practically pickled in it.

The three of us got to the monastery and it all went downhill from there.

The chanting, the brain dead cultists. The blood on the walls. I don't want to think about it...

I remember that crazy Pete hacking at things with the axe we found. Every time he killed one of those cultist pigs he got covered in more blood and looked a little more crazy. And that dog! Biting and tearing at them all. We got separated and I had to disguise myself in one of the robes we found. I managed to find Marie, in a bad way, alive.

We could hear chanting, gun shots. Shrieking and then a tearing of earth. Like nothing else. The monastery was shaking. The ground was swallowing it up...

I met up with the boys in the chapel. The floor was covered in corpses, and there was a huge crater in the middle. There was blood on the walls. Pete was covered in blood and cackling at the world, his dog was rabid but Joe was cool as ever. All of a sudden the house shook some more, the walls tearing to be free from the earth,

Something.....something.....like an octopus' arm with a mouth burst out of the floor. I screamed, the crazy bum charged and Joe fired like it was a target at the shooting range.

I can see its mouth biting at us, its tongues wrapping around my legs, the black blood like tar pouring from the cuts and bullet holes in its side....

Somehow we got out, the thing had died. Marie was alive.

Another job done....I still hadn’t found my sister.

Don't be sorry mate :)

No point swapping for stuff you don't want. Keep it for the next BGG math trade. Once you know what you're doing it's easy and I was dead chuffed with what I got in the February one. I think there should be one next month and I can talk you through how to set it up. You would probably score something really good with Ghost Stories.

Four player Paperclip Railways last night! When I brought it out there were a few What The Fuck Is That looks, but after going through the rules and getting through the first run, everything went really well. It's a game about making a rail network using paperclips as your tracks and it's pretty damn good. It'll be available at the UK Games Expo (though limited to 120 copies) but at the moment there's only the designer's version and mine in existence :) I'll put a review up soon.

Got Mansions of Madness a few days ago, played four times so far and love it.

Great stuff :D heading down to Liverpool in a couple of weeks for a boardgaming weekend, really hoping one of my mates will have purchased it by then. Wish I could afford it just now, but the wife would flip out.

fuck em, no-one comes in here except Joyrex and he's not a mod. Well, maybe Laine but she :wub: s us.

I like the idea of AT-43 but it's been discontinued hasn't it?

Yeah, Rackham went bust I think, but you can still get gear on fleabay and prices haven't gone up since it was discontinued. Besides, Op-Damocles is a self-contained game....albeit a fairly basic introduciton to the system. I'm not really bothered about trading it for something of equal value or whatever - I just never play it and want it off my shelf, so I'd consider anything at all that's good for me and the wife to play, regardless of its comparative monetary worth.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=at-43&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I thought about firing it into that maths trade a little while back, but I got scared when I read the FAQ/guide.

Honestly anyone who considered the math trade and was put off should definitely give it a go. I nearly didn't do it as I thought it looked ridiculously complex but like most things once you have a better look it's quite easy. I'm going to have another go when it comes round again.

I like the idea of AT-43 but it's been discontinued hasn't it?

There have been rumours of a new version of the rules, but to all intents AT-43 is a dead game. Quite apart from Rackham's terrible business sense, it suffered from translation issues and problems with its treatment of area effect weapons. It tried to start out as a boardgame/wargame hybrid but never quite worked as either - a pity, as there were some nice models. You'd be better off chasing down a copy of Dust Tactics, which evolved out of AT-43 (same original designer) but has better support and is proving popular at the moment. Fantasy Flight seem to be ramping up the releases, and the models are lovely.

These guys are among the next releases:

panzer-walker-1.pngassault-walker.png

I know its bad form to reply to yourself, but I did actually play a game last night. Sadly I once again failed to take any pictures, so I've snapped a quick photo of the army to make the text more interesting. I'm about 60-70% done painting up the army which is some kind of miracle for me.

Beastmen2k.jpg

It was actually the first game of Warhammer I've played under the 8th edition rules. I found 7th a bit dry, and it lended itself to rock hard tiny units of elite troops/cavalry, which isn't really what I feel a game of fantasy battles should be about (we've got skirmish systems for that kind of thing). I'd managed to dig my Beastmen out of the various boxes they were stored in, and had a busy week assembling 2000pts and painting up what I could in readiness. My opponent brought Vampire Counts.

To sum up the fight, the first three turns mostly consisted of him running his Grave Guard death star through my General and his Bestigor (they broke, ran and were run down the following turn by some charging Spectres) and then my Battle Standard Bearer's Minotaurs (they broke, auto killing the BSB, although they did recover). I still had the two large Gor units and my Great Bray Shaman but didn't think I had much chance with the nasty bits of my army dead. At this point, I managed to cast Purple Sun - he'd already used up his Dispel Scroll to save his Wight King (who promptly died in a challenge). All the remaining units were bunched up in the centre of the board, and the spell (5" template) shot a pleasing 18" straight through his 3 main units/all his characters and promptly tore them apart. With his general dead, the remaining undead began crumbling to dust and it was a simple job to mop up the remains.

It was interesting to see how quickly magic can turn the game around - I went from being fairly certain of a trouncing to totally wiping him out all through some fairly lucky dice rolling.

We only managed to play one game, the turn sequence kept making my brain crap out. We noticed a couple of things, which we initially are prescribing to not playing it right. The game seemed over before we'd really started and he got 2 damage on me by the second turn or some shit.

The mechanic is really interesting - having to think about how you want to chain your cards, and deciding what you want to leave on the end to minimise your opponent's chain is fun.

On my first turn I chained two of the red starter guys who deal one damage to your opponent, and that seemed a little unfair right at the start of the game. The other problem we had was running out of cards in our deck - though it probably suggests we were playing it wrong, and that the best tactic is to discard as much as possible at the start of the game to bolster your deck with cards that won't be exiled after you've played them.

That said, if someone starts off with double red guy and their opponent doesn't drop anything to block with, they'll have taken six wounds before your opponent has even finished their second turn.

I like it a lot though - it offers something a little different to some of the other deckbuilders I've played and I'm looking forward to giving it another crack when I get chance.

Only real downside is that it's bloody difficult to explain. Easy enough to play once you've got the hang of it but trying to remember everything first time round is not so easy to do!

Couple of good games last night - finally got round to cracking open the decks on Glory to Rome. Good lord, what an ugly game. There's no real running theme between the art on the cards, they like they've been drawn by a bunch of different people, each with a different level of ability. The game itself though? Amazing stuff. Really think-y, plenty of different ways to build up points and win. Definitely going to get it played again soon.

Second up was Cartagena, not my favourite game, but still pretty fun. I lost, badly. My poor pirates were left stranded as everyone else escaped :(

Had a pretty awesome session of Call of Cthulhu the other night with our weekly RPG group. Four of us playing students studying at various Boston colleges. It started with one of us (the jock) seeing our neighbour return late at night and drop what appeared to be a dismembered child's arm wrapped in brown paper as he fumbled at the door, prompting the character to fail a sanity test and immediately faint. He is now being referred to as Swoony :D

The rest of the characters didn't believe him, so he cycled to the nearest phone booth (20s setting innit) and called the cops. They turned up and spoke to Mr Corbett (the neighbour) who showed them that it was in fact sausages and suggested that it may have been a prank. The cops visited our home and advised us that we better not pull anything similar in future.

The party then proceeded to visit Mr Corbett to *apologise* (investigate) but he showed us the sausages and we left, taking the piss out of Swoony the whole time. The next day involved some exams and then some investigation of Mr Corbett at the behest of Swoony. We found out that he works in importing, bringing in goods from the far east (mysterious!). We also discovered that his wife and child had died during childbirth about 15 years prior and that his father had passed away in mysterious circumstances while the two of them were on a trip to India. That took up most of the day so we retired to the coffee shop to consider our plans............

Part two to follow as soon as I am at a keyboard and don't have to type on my iPhone. Hadn't really planned tonwrite this much!

Nice update.

I had a solo session of Wrath of Ashardalon last night.

First I played the single hero, solo adventure (number 1 in the book) and it was OK. It felt a little 'mechanistic', almost as if the game could play itself; move, place tile, spawn monster, bash monster, move, place tile... However it came together at the end. I was down to my last 2 or 3 hit points, no healing surges. On the penultimate title I managed to roll a 20 so I leveled up and picked some "swingy bashy mighty smite" daily power, facing the kobold boss monster on the last tile, I managed a few lucky rolls and pulled off the bashy power to smash the little fecker and escape! That felt pretty good, like it all came together at the end.

Played for while controlling two heroes through adventure 3, and the mechanistic feel was pretty much gone, lots of thinking about how best to move and use the powers to the greatest advantage, as many of them effect other heroes too. But it was pretty fiddling trying to keep track of two heroes at once.

Pretty cool little system. Now I need to convince the fiancee to have game tonight :D

Tell her that my wife is the least board-gamey person ever, but she really enjoyed Ravenloft, and she's the one pestering me for our next game! We had a similar experience to you, where we kind of muddled around learning the game, and you're bang on with your description of it as feeling 'mechanistic', but the climax was actually pretty exciting and demanded some shrewd use of our cards. The thing I liked about it was that by the end, once we'd detatched a little from those rules and mechanics, we both felt like it was telling us a story.

Couple of good games last night - finally got round to cracking open the decks on Glory to Rome. Good lord, what an ugly game. There's no real running theme between the art on the cards, they like they've been drawn by a bunch of different people, each with a different level of ability. The game itself though? Amazing stuff. Really think-y, plenty of different ways to build up points and win. Definitely going to get it played again soon.

I think you're being a teeny tiny bit harsh on the art but not much as it is very amateurish which is a great shame as the game itself is brilliant. This came out before Race for the Galaxy and IMO is a great deal more fun but never had the impact of Race. Possibly the sci-fi theme helped the later game but I think the look of Glory to Rome put so many people off that it has never reached it's potential. Anyone who likes combos in their card games should take a look at it.

Went to London On Board again last night, and Laine joined me. I wanted to play board games, she was checking the place out for 'hot guys', oh and to play games too, or so she said/pretended ;)

Had a quick game of Summoner Wars, which I totally messed up by misreading and muddling the summoning value/attack value on the cards :facepalm: by the time I spotted the mistake, it had given me a massive advantage, which basically ruined it. Whoops! :(

We then got dragged into a game of Kingsburg by a couple of guys, turned out they were father and son, they were a little bit weird, but nice enough and explained the game pretty well! I quite enjoyed the mechanic of rolling the 3D6 and allocating them to the advisors on the board, seemed a good mix of randomness and strategy. Oh and I won! \o/

Then we had a quick game of Gloom, which Laine was keen on trying out. It was OK, very hard to read the cards, and still not 100% sure we played it right. I liked the doomy, miserable bleak theme to it, would need to play it again before making my mind up about it.

Ok, on with our Call of Cthulhu sessions.

The next morning three of us had exams (accursed poor luck rolls!), leaving just Swoony to investigate, who decided to try and follow Mr Corbett to what he thought would be his business. He got a bit lucky with some short cuts and ended up tailing him to the local hospital, where he observed Mr Corbett speaking to an orderly. He entered the hospital, so Swoony spoke to the orderly claiming that he (Mr Corbett) had dropped his wallet. The orderly said that he had asked him for directions to the paediatric ward and pointed him in the right direction. Swoony reached the desk at the doors to the peadiatric ward but totally fluffed his fast talk roll and made the duty nurse massively suspicious, so he made a swift exit.

We all met up at the coffee shop once our exams were over and discussed our next course of action. One of our previous clues, about the death of Mr Corbett's wife and child, had revealed that a nurse had been present at the birth but was committed to the local asylum afterwards as she had collapsed after the death (attributed to shock at the time) and when she came to she was near catatonic and wouldn't say a word. This seemed to be the logical next location for our investigations. Our medical student called in some favours and got us an meeting with the head of the hospital under the pretence that we were all medical students studying psychiatry. We gained access to the nurse's files which revealed that she had died a couple of years previously, but that just before she passed she had shouted "the wrong one lived! the wrong one!" and promptly died. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

More to follow!