rllmuk
jonnyalpha

What are you playing?

2 minutes ago, Tourist said:

I was fortunate enough to get the base game free because Amazon messed up my order and gave me a refund and let me keep the game. I paid full whack for three expansions and didn't enjoy a single one so gave away the whole lot to a friend. Je ne regrette nuffink.

I'd have paid you a couple of quid for them. :P

With every Time Stories scenario (at least the ones we've played), the first and second play-throughs are quite enjoyable and interesting, then the third wanes a bit as you re-tread familiar ground but end up falling foul of some random, time-consuming encounter or insta-death, then after that it's just a tiresome chore to get back to where you were, only to go down another dead end and do it all again.

We've still got Prophecy of Dragons to go through but after that I think I'm done with it. If anyone wants Marcy Case or Under The Mask (£10 each or £18 for the pair, inc. postage) drop me a PM.

Edit: Sold to Hexx.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I'd have paid you a couple of quid for them. :P

I was going to post on here but I asked my friend first and it turned out he was about to buy it. But in any case I'd have given it away free. Would have felt bad to take money for something I couldn't recommend!

Fire in the Lake

I played this last weekend, 2 player variant where each player controls 2 factions. So I was the VC and the NVA and the other side was the US and the ARVN. I'd never played it before as finding 4 people willing to play a COIN game isn't easy. It was superb. I've not played too many of these games but I enjoyed this one the most. I think the theme helps as the system seems ideally suited to the Vietnam War, whereas a lot of the more historical settings just don't appeal to me so much. The 2 player variant states that for US and ARVN player to win both of those factions have to achieve their victory conditions when a coup card appears. The other player wins if just one of their 2 factions achieves theres. The US got a really strong early position and would of won if we'd been playing a 4 player game. Then I managed to claw some support back and the game end came when the NVA decimated the US troops in one turn which freed up the VC to snatch victory while my opponent didn't have the troops to respond. Really can't wait to play it again as one play just feels like we've scratched the surface of what it has to offer.

Pipeline

If you like really heavy dry economic euros then you should give this a go. Luckily I do. This was really tough. Money is tight throughout the game and it would be easy to cock it all up and then have to spend half the game trying to get yourself out of a hole. It's all about action efficiency and trying to make little improvements to your oil refining engine as the game progresses. Another one I can't wait to play again! 

• Upvote 3

I've been playing 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis, (which was less than £15 in various online offers last week).  This cold war themed, card management and influence/area-control game is played out on a map representing the different politically significant battlegrounds across the ... hang on, I'm describing Twilight Struggle aren't I?  Well, yes - I very nearly am.  This is ever so derivative of T.S., but plays out in a much smaller timeframe.  There's just about enough difference to make it its own game.  There are a lot of difficult choices with how to play cards. Very similarly to T.S. the cards can be played for influence on the map, or for their Events (belonging to the USA, USSR or either (U.N.)), but if played for the influence, and the card belongs to the opponent's side, they have the option of also triggering the event.  (This mechanism is entirely borrowed from Twilight Struggle).

Anyway, despite its obvious parentage this is a good game in its own right, and is similarly engaging to T.S. - albeit with a shorter play time, and no dice rolls.  It's never going to have the same level of depth and strategy that T.S. has (or have so many words written about how-to-play and online strategy guides), but equally the decisions made are meaningful, and there is a strong bluffing element along with card play strategy there.  I'd definitely recommend it, perhaps as a gateway to Twilight Struggle, or something similar but less hard work (insofar as it doesn't last as long).

• Upvote 3

... well that went well bleakly.

It turns out This War Of Mine is as depressing as people say.  My rag-tag assortment of civilians caught up in a war were made up of Boris, Cveta and Bruno - and they ultimately fell to misery (upped and left the party), wounds (killed by the military, whilst out scavenging for food) and suicide (brought on by extreme hunger).

The gameplay, exploring the shelter, and doing out for raids is a painful set of 'there's never enough actions available to do what I want', and this is exacerbated with your character's actions being simultaneous so rewards from one can't be used to pay for the others.  (Though there are up to three actions per day, this is often reduced to just one or two, thanks to the the fatigue/illness/wounds and misery states reducing the number of actions available).

The 'book of scripts' is passably written, and I think the designers making a thing in the rules of a player reads it to themselves and paraphrases is a cop-out interesting way of getting around whether it should be writen as "I approached the house and I saw..." vs "We approached the house and we saw...".  

The narrative elements are generally bleak, with some moral choice available for your actions in places (without the obviously predictable 'good path will give you morale boost, bad path will reward you financially' that I'd anticipated).  One moment (I won't spoil, but it wasn't the death of a character) of quite matter-of-fact writing did connect with me, and made me ... not well-up exactly ... but in that direction.  So kudos on a game for making me feel that.

I can really see how the game is going to be difficult to win.  I only survived part way into 'chapter two', of a three act game.  As a solo endeavour I thought it worked pretty well - not sure how I'd like to share the not-very-fun narrative with other people.  Thinking of the people I game with there's one who I definitely wouldn't play it with, as I can't imagine him taking it seriously.

I'll definitely give it another go, when I'm in the mood for something a bit downbeat, and brutal (emotionally and gameplay wise).  Perhaps the take-away is that in a scenario like this, there are no winners.

• Upvote 2

Machi Koro Legacy. Playing it with my 11 year old who loves Machi Koro. We are 3 games in now out of 10 and it's superb. Without wishing to spoil it for anyone there are already mechanics in play that are significantly different to anything that's been in Machi Koro before. Nothing that complicated though so it's definitely something you could play with family. Can't wait to see what the next 7 games add. My only slight concern is will we be left with a game we'll want to play once the legacy part is all done? Or will it just gather dust on a shelf? It's not like you can sell on a used Legacy game either.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Machi Koro Legacy. Playing it with my 11 year old who loves Machi Koro. We are 3 games in now out of 10 and it's superb. Without wishing to spoil it for anyone there are already mechanics in play that are significantly different to anything that's been in Machi Koro before. Nothing that complicated though so it's definitely something you could play with family. Can't wait to see what the next 7 games add. My only slight concern is will we be left with a game we'll want to play once the legacy part is all done? Or will it just gather dust on a shelf? It's not like you can sell on a used Legacy game either.

Usually there's a game to play beyond the legacy part with these things. I'd ignored this as I've got Machi Koro but if it's significantly different I might have to look into it.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Usually there's a game to play beyond the legacy part with these things. I'd ignored this as I've got Machi Koro but if it's significantly different I might have to look into it.

I'll post an update when I've played a few more games.

I've played Pandemic Legacy and Charterstone but neither of those got a repeat play once done. Machi Koro is 30 mins a game though so could be different.

7 hours ago, SimonC said:

I'm not a big Machi Koro fan myself, but I was sold on the legacy aspect having never played one before, and my thoughts pretty much echo yours.  My wife and I played through five games over the weekend and we cannot wait to play some more.  It can still be a little luck based towards the end of a game with both of us just racing to see who can be first to get the amount of money needed to buy our last landmark and win, but the new additions and alterations to the rules every game make it a lot more interesting than vanilla MK, and I'm really enjoying it as a result.  It may just be our game, but the nastiness of the purple cards seems to have been reduced significantly too, which my wife definitely prefers.

Regarding what happens once the ten games are over, apparently we should all end up with our own unique new base game to continue playing endlessly, and Tom Vasel said in his review that he prefers the game he has ended up with over the original.  Whilst nice to have a still playable game afterwards, if I never play it again I will still have had enough value from it over the ten hours or so it takes to complete.  I've spent more on tens of video games that I have barely touched at all!

On 23/09/2019 at 09:06, SimonC said:

Based on reviews, you’ll be fine. 

I’ll definitely be picking it up quite soon, I just bought a fair bit in the sales.

I did really like Machi Koro but unless you were proactively trying to fuck over the other players, which I never particularly like, it did basically become “who builds the most bakeries”. Ie. It was basically Greggs The Card Game. You could win in other ways, but if you did that you probablyyyy would. Which sort of spoiled it.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Anyone played 'The King's Dilemma'? 

No but I'll probably pick it up when available and tweak it for solo play - I'm a sucker for legacy games.

Hopefully I'll be contributing again to this thread soon after a decorating sabbatical. I've also re-arranged the bedroom and gotten two final cabinets for board games.  

Off to the Ally Pally event tomorrow but I won't be disappointed if I don't pick anything new up there since the backlog is horrendous.

10 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

No but I'll probably pick it up when available and tweak it for solo play - I'm a sucker for legacy games.

I'm intrigued by the look of it and how it seems to straddle a typical RPG with some sort of competitive play system.

Swithering on whether to pre-order though...

Pandemic Legacy 1 : Sepetember

Another solid game of this - the mechanics are still just complex eneough to keep you costantly on toes.

We lost our first game in September, but completed the new objective added that month...so the second game took some turns (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

We've been played! We've been helping paramiltary take over the world!

And Private Dancer - our most powerful and best punned character - is a traitor! We had to tear him up :(

Why our funding keeps getting cut makes perfect in game story sense!

Some new "show" (not discard) cards arrived and we've tooled up with C4. We're not fighting diseases and the man...and it's great.

We knew we were failing September early, so rushed to ensure we'd completed all outstanding searches...but that meant Red...the disease we'd most had under control...is now largely faded cities. Epp.

We only have the 3 objectives (for now), Cure 3 diseases, quantrine 7 cities and blow up 2 bases...but even so September late was still pretty gosh darn close

I love this game

• Upvote 1

So spent the weekend demoing at MCM Comic-Con and got to play a couple of new games - Marvel Champions, the new LCG from Fantasy Flight - got a fair few rules wrong in my teaching of it (not bad considering I only punched and read the rule book at 8:30 ) but it seems like a fun co-op card game with the heroes taking on a main bad guy (Rhino for our demos) with his scenario to break into a bank. You play cards as normal in these games but all the resources are paid for by spending other cards from your hand so it becomes a case of what can I afford to lose for now. 
 As you get through the bad guys add more minions or side schemes that make the end game come quicker. 
 Could be a lot of fun for the right group (plays up to 4) but knowing FFG it’ll either be a small fortune to keep up with or dropped like a brick the second it looks to be selling under expectations. 

Also played space gate odyssey- a tile laying, action selection game which I really enjoyed. 

Taking actions involves moving workers around the operation room and you get action points based on how many workers are in that room, however other players also get actions as well and you can end up handing more points to opponents if you aren’t playing smart. 
 To score though you need to get your colonists Dow to the planets using the “space gates” in your ever expanding station (tiles are added as one of the actions and each have varying effects) - each planet scores differently and you need to be sure you don’t let someone get an advantage here. 
 It’s got very little downtime - the box art is lovely and it’s a bit different, I may pick a copy up as it’s certainly worth the £30 asking price I’ve seen online. 

• Upvote 1

I'm back in the game and playing:

Burgle Bros.  I had this on my want list and it came back into stock recently at BGGuru (no longer :().  It's a really neat puzzler whereby you lay out a grid of 16 rooms for each of 2 or 3 floors and send your team of 1-4 dudes in with the objective of hacking the safe on each floor and making an exit from the roof.  You gradually uncover the tiles by peeping or moving - some of the layouts are much tougher than others since certain rooms are difficult to enter (really annoying if blocking quick access to stairs for example).  Needless to say there are guards on each floor who have predefined patrol routes.  It starts off pretty easy since guards only move 1 spot but they speed up on higher floors and will move after each meeple (so having 2+ on the same floor is much more dangerous).  There are all sorts of alarms too which may be activated, hacked or activated on purpose as distraction.  You pick up sundry tools, and loot items and as a nice touch if you turtle up somewhere safe you have to draw an event card.  Usually if you co-incide with a guard 3 times you are finished (as a team). Finally, the box has been designed to exactly hold the components, which is always nice.  In the photo, I've hacked the first floor, working on the second but the dude on the third is going to be nabbed with one life remaining, so FAIL.

Dark Domains.  This is a KS which I had earmarked for sale but it was sat there in the bottom of the wardrobe crying out for one final play, so I went for it yesterday afternoon and had a 4H game.  I'm no longer selling it.  It's a hard game to photograph because its fairly big but there are lots of nice little touches and details which merit capture.  It's a highly interactive worker placement game over 5-8 rounds.  The idea is you play a race of dwarves or elves or whatever (no impact except for differently shaped meeples which is one of the nice little touches).  Your aim is to be as evil as possible and you do this principally by building structures (yawn) and converting them into their evil counterparts so that they may house monsters (more interesting!)  The evilness comes in mechanical terms from the tokens these dungeons earn each round, but also the damage you may do to your opponents - some of which won't necessarily help you win the game but is sheer shit-housery.  This damage may be caused by using element powered spells or using the "assassination" or "street thugs" options on the board.  Spells are wonderful and may be played during most stages of each round to do all sorts of things such as change a meeple's action, remove a card on the board, teleport in a monster for defence, resurrect a monster,  protect your sites from interference, attack other's sites etc etc.  Being more evil than the others attracts the attention of two bands of "heroes" who venture forth from the taverns and attack their priority targets (which are visible to all players).  Successfully defending these attacks earns you more evil points and sends the heroes into oblivion.   Finally, at the start of each round two fate (Tarot) cards are played and these determine the round conditions, but if they are of the same suit, different factors apply - its really neat.  The game is of really nice quality, is generous in terms of deck sizes and has a high degree of variability (all big plus points for me). 

Adventuria. Another KS.  This is a card game based on the German RPG The Dark Eye.  I've only scratched the surface so far but what I've played I like - they suggest you duel characters before attempting any scenarios and that works well to help familiarise yourself with the mechanics.   The idea is you have an initial hand of 5 cards, one Mulligan, draw 2 new cards a round and may select 1 or 2 cards each round for your stamina pool.  This pool powers the use of all other cards and the best weapons, spells and armours naturally require the highest stamina to bring into play.  Cards played may be permanent - either increases in stats or weapons / armour / items etc, or may be single use or even re-active, so it's always a balance between using all available stamina or keeping some back.  Characters may typically attack once per round for each weapon they have equipped (stamina permitting); skills are tested to determine success or otherwise and rolled again for damage.  Enemies have a d20 menu of attacks or actions, and there is a typical structure of events occurring during scenarios to mix things up a bit, although there doesn't seem to be typically a hard time limit on scenarios (you benefit though if you complete them with some timer tokens to spare).  

IMG_1398.JPG

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 3

Got hold of Combo Fighter last week and boy is it goooood. So good in fact that I've ordered expansions 2 & 3 for it so I can have the complete set.

I love everything about it. I love that it's so easy to teach and to play. I love that it plays so quickly with almost no downtime. I love that the theme and the mechanics mesh perfectly with each other. I love that it's so small and cheap for such a fun game. I love that it's great fun even when you're losing. I love the artwork. Oh god I love the artwork.

Look at it.

pic4199962.thumb.jpg.f34d4621e67546d840e18c9506b09540.jpg

So much character and movement. I've not played a card game where the act of playing cards is so satisfying. The way that the combo system works, combined with artwork means that playing one card after another feels like you're making your own ad hoc comic strip fight scene.

Here's a simply one for Sno Storm

pic4189536.thumb.jpg.a83926ea43ef0a1d471a3ca2c15cc04a.jpg

The Shut Up & Sit Down review is bang on the money.

I hope this is a huge success because I want to buy dozens of fighters to play with.

• Upvote 3

On 05/10/2019 at 16:05, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Got hold of Combo Fighter last week and boy is it goooood. So good in fact that I've ordered expansions 2 & 3 for it so I can have the complete set.

I love everything about it. I love that it's so easy to teach and to play. I love that it plays so quickly with almost no downtime. I love that the theme and the mechanics mesh perfectly with each other. I love that it's so small and cheap for such a fun game. I love that it's great fun even when you're losing. I love the artwork. Oh god I love the artwork.

Look at it.

pic4199962.thumb.jpg.f34d4621e67546d840e18c9506b09540.jpg

So much character and movement. I've not played a card game where the act of playing cards is so satisfying. The way that the combo system works, combined with artwork means that playing one card after another feels like you're making your own ad hoc comic strip fight scene.

Here's a simply one for Sno Storm

pic4189536.thumb.jpg.a83926ea43ef0a1d471a3ca2c15cc04a.jpg

The Shut Up & Sit Down review is bang on the money.

I hope this is a huge success because I want to buy dozens of fighters to play with.

:omg: Sold!! :omg:

It's interesting that this is getting such love. Hard to see it, to me. Perhaps I'd have to play it.  (I certainly don't like Brawl, if anyone remembered that game, and maybe that's souring me).

But maybe it's me.  I bought "Normandy Undaunted" recently on the strength of reviews. Found it ... Okay.  But games just outstayed their welcome, when trying to wear down the opponent's deck, and then replenishing.  Might sell it on, if it doesn't click soon.

There was a whole stack of “Star Wars: Empire vs Rebellion” in TK Maxx for about £4 down from £12, so I gave it a shot. It’s a tiny two person strategy/bluffing/blackjack sort of game which is simple to understand but quite intricate to play. Apparently it’s an adaptation of a well-received CIA vs KGB game but I thought it was fine on its own merits.

• Upvote 1

@Glasgowchivas sold me his copy of Fury of Dracula (3rd Ed.) last year, and this weekend I had my first opportunity to actually play the thing.

We had one half go (whilst very drunk) on Friday night, and then another sober go on Sunday.

Blimey, that is a lot of rules to digest. We all had fun, and enjoyed it a lot. But it's long, and checking a few things today I realised I was making a hash of the rules in a few places.

Thanks to Glasgow though for the game, it is (un)dead good.

And we all want to play it again, so that's a good sign. Here's hoping we get to do so in less than a year.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

@Glasgowchivas sold me his copy of Fury of Dracula (3rd Ed.) last year, and this weekend I had my first opportunity to actually play the thing.

We had one half go (whilst very drunk) on Friday night, and then another sober go on Sunday.

Blimey, that is a lot of rules to digest. We all had fun, and enjoyed it a lot. But it's long, and checking a few things today I realised I was making a hash of the rules in a few places.

Thanks to Glasgow though for the game, it is (un)dead good.

And we all want to play it again, so that's a good sign. Here's hoping we get to do so in less than a year.

Love this game. There are a good few rules to get through the first time as you say but I find it's very straightforward once you have them down and easy to pick up again in subsequent games (even if there's a long break inbetween games). Get yourself a cape on the cheap after Halloween!

Did Dracula win any of the games?

• Upvote 1

The first (drunk) one we just didn't finish - but that was always the plan as soon as we figured out how long it was going to take. We thought it would be a useful practice.

On the second one, we were also about to get timed out by the real world, but then we caught Dracula making a mistake in movement and the penalty for that killed him.

One of the big mistakes I'd made in reading the rules was about combat, hunter cards and how they were being used/discarded/replenished*, and I think I'd made the hunters significantly too weak. But I think we'd have killed Dracula naturally before he won, had we continued.

But then, of course, it was our first go, so we weren't using any of Dracula's extra powers and the like.

*I was instructing people to pick the Dodge/Escape/Punch card back up immediately, which I now understand is supposed to wait 1 turn - you can't Punch, Punch, Punch, but you can Punch, Dodge, Punch - and also we'd misread and I think combat items are supposed to go back in the Hunter's hand after that same 1 turn wait, not be one-shot.

• Upvote 1

But yes, I think I'd be straight into it next time. The only other big mistake I made was that I had Dracula playing the Encounter card to the previous location rather than the new location on movement, and that caused a knock-on confusion to when he was Escaping.

Also, if a Vampire who's on the board having had a Hunter find an Encounter then Matures because Dracula moves and he falls off the trail, does the Vampire disappear at that point? That's the only bit I am still a little unclear on afterwards.

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

But yes, I think I'd be straight into it next time. The only other big mistake I made was that I had Dracula playing the Encounter card to the previous location rather than the new location on movement, and that caused a knock-on confusion to when he was Escaping.

Also, if a Vampire who's on the board having had a Hunter find an Encounter then Matures because Dracula moves and he falls off the trail, does the Vampire disappear at that point? That's the only bit I am still a little unclear on afterwards.

Yeah, the hunters will want to kill any vampires they encounter asap as they will disappear when they mature, even if they have some damage on them.

• Upvote 1

So we played John Company for the first time last week. A semi co-op where we all work together to run the East India Company while trying to make as much personal gain as possible and retire to an affluent position. 
 It’s a mixture of economics, conquest, negotiation and random chance as every event isn’t entirely within your control and all you can do is attempt to reduce the risk. 
 It’s an interesting game that will require a fair bit or replays (and we haven’t yet attempted the full game where you can setup competing family firms when the EIC loses its monopoly)

it’s certainly not going to be a game for everyone but it’s so different from the rest of my collection I can see it having a place on the shelves for a while. 

• Upvote 3

A second game of John Company this week with 5 players - 2 new and 3 who played previously. Have never found a game that played so differently - last game the dice went in our favour we made so much money it was easy to run the company and skim profits. This time we had 2 successful rolls in 4 rounds and had to bail the company out multiple times. It made for a much more fraught negotiation game where everyone was fighting over a pound or so. 
 Then a simple card event turned the tide and suddenly the 2 players left with shares were flooded with cash and the other players were desperately trying to use any leverage they had to extract positions and money. 
 Can’t wait to start a full game soon where we all get to compete against each other with mergers and hostile takeovers. 

I'm going to post about Vindication next week - advance warning - extreme gush is likely.  A game hasn't grabbed me like this one for ages.  I also want to post about Stworze (:)) and Nanty Narkin (:().