jonnyalpha

What are you playing?

Yeah great write up. 

So weird that there are so many crappy rulebooks these days.

Founders of gloomhaven, gloomhaven, anachrony, fury of Dracula, star wars rebellion... I haven't seen a good rulebook in so long. 

In particular I don't really get the fantasy flight quick start plus actual rules combo.

I think a rule book just needs a top line summary of concept and general tactics, followed by a turn order, followed by a detailed breakdown of each turn, and then a play through example. Dunno why it has to be so complicated.

Shards of Infinity made it to the table again today. I'm not sure if it's just early days but we've had a few unsatisfying experiences with it in 1v1 so far - notably that the aggressive deck doesn't work as it's very easy to stabilise with the damage prevention cards, a little bit of healing, and the inevitability of the built-in win condition. Still want to get a few more games out of it before making too many judgements but it can wind up feeling very one-sided, and a foregone conclusion long before the game ends.

Fingers crossed we just had a perfect (shitty) storm.

Has anyone played Azul? I had a couple of games a few weeks back and it's fantastic fun. Really hard to get hold of now because it had a limited print run but I managed to snag a copy from a Facebook group. Can't wait to revisit it again.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Has anyone played Azul? I had a couple of games a few weeks back and it's fantastic fun. Really hard to get hold of now because it had a limited print run but I managed to snag a copy from a Facebook group. Can't wait to revisit it again.

It's been nominated for the Spiel Des Jahres, so I would imagine it's going to be pretty easy to get hold of in the near future.

Finally started The Dunwich Legacy, and it's a great improvement on the core Arkham Horror LCG scenarios. The way they've rebalanced the encounter deck away from a constant barrage of enemies means that the game doesn't get bogged down and there's always an interesting and thematic action available.

• Upvote 1

Dunwich is great... Carcosa is even better.

Tonight we played Doom the board game and it’s *magic*. Loved it. Fast paced 1 vs many run and gun.

On 17/06/2018 at 18:23, Alex W. said:

Finally started The Dunwich Legacy, and it's a great improvement on the core Arkham Horror LCG scenarios. The way they've rebalanced the encounter deck away from a constant barrage of enemies means that the game doesn't get bogged down and there's always an interesting and thematic action available.

Where have you got to so far? Some really memorable bits in that campaign.

"The House Always Wins" as literally the first scenario.

Spoiler

Shit completely hit the fan in a great way when the monsters smashed in and started eating the mobsters. All three of them (due to my bad shuffling) spawned in short order and we had to deal with them.

We made it out on the last round before the Agenda advanced, because goodness knows we didn't want to find out what's on the back. There was a great moment where we were parlaying with the good Doctor while engaging in hand-to-hand combat with the one hired goon that wasn't deceased.

Been playing Pandemic Legacy S1. Having regretted not buying it at the expo since before I left the Great Hall, I picked it up for the same price online last week. 

The wife and I played a normal game of Pandemic on it first, just to remind ourselves how it worked. We’d only played the stock game once, way back when, and for some reason had been unimpressed. Not sure why now.

Anyway, we enjoyed that but ran out of cards in the player deck and lost. A couple of days later we decided to blast on and start the legacy mode.

We comfortably completed January in the early month. That said, those of you who have played it will know why that is, and the game immediately became interesting. Last night we played early February, and we seemed to be cruising to easily win it. Then we got an outbreak (first of the game) which immediately created a chain reaction of 3 more and fucked NE America and Western Europe. Luckily these were the first outbreaks in those cities.

Thankfully we were all planned up for our next move anyway, so I got the final card I needed to cure the final disease and did so there and then (thanks to a mutation we’d applied). Another win!

i wondered if we were getting away easily but things that went in our favour:

- we had drawn no yellow infection cards by the point we cured it, so it was immediately eradicated

- we managed to eradicate red pretty easily

- I’m playing as medic (treat all cubes for a single action) and wife as the scientist (cure with one less card)

when i I checked the infection deck, at the end of my turn I’d have flipped St Petersburg which had 3 cubes on it and that would have unleashed a terrible chain reaction AND used up the last 2 cubs leading to a loss. So actually a lot closer than we thought. 

I suspect March is going to hurt us. 

• Upvote 3

Our group has scheduled our final game (the second in December) for this Thursday, which marks the two year anniversary of starting Pandemic Legacy. Whatever happens, it'll have been quite a journey. I think I'll need some time to decide if I'm mentally prepared for Season 2.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

"The House Always Wins" as literally the first scenario.

Hide contents

Shit completely hit the fan in a great way when the monsters smashed in and started eating the mobsters. All three of them (due to my bad shuffling) spawned in short order and we had to deal with them.

We made it out on the last round before the Agenda advanced, because goodness knows we didn't want to find out what's on the back. There was a great moment where we were parlaying with the good Doctor while engaging in hand-to-hand combat with the one hired goon that wasn't deceased.

Yeah - really enjoyed that one and a great change of pace from the first campaign.  Loved the goon following you around aloof style keeping his eye on you... we 'cheated' to get an advantage as well but the whole place..

burnt down before we could rescue the guy... we bolted out the back and left it to ruin.

something that AHTCG does *brilliantly* is the continuing campaign... unless everyone properly dies (and even then, that's not the end of the game) there are no way to hard lose at a game.  You have various outcomes, some more optimum than others, but it balances itself pretty fairly all the way through to keep the challenge doable even if you've had sub-optimal outcomes from previous scenarios.

Great game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Yeah - really enjoyed that one and a great change of pace from the first campaign.  Loved the goon following you around aloof style keeping his eye on you... we 'cheated' to get an advantage as well but the whole place..

Reveal hidden contents

burnt down before we could rescue the guy... we bolted out the back and left it to ruin.

something that AHTCG does *brilliantly* is the continuing campaign... unless everyone properly dies (and even then, that's not the end of the game) there are no way to hard lose at a game.  You have various outcomes, some more optimum than others, but it balances itself pretty fairly all the way through to keep the challenge doable even if you've had sub-optimal outcomes from previous scenarios.

Great game.

Hmm I don't think it balances very fairly at all. There's no catch up mechanic that makes the scenarios harder if you win and easier if you lose. In fact quite the opposite is true. If you continually fail you'll end up with less powerful cards in your desk from having less xp, your characters will have permanent sanity and/or health penalties and you'll possibly have worse tiles to pull out the bag. That's my experience of it any how in a game where we've lost nearly every time and it now feels like we've fallen way behind the curve but yet the game continues to punish us for failing rather than lending a helping hand. It's still good fun though, in a "I wonder how many turns we'll stay alive this time" kind of way, but we have very little chance of completing any scenario.

9 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Hmm I don't think it balances very fairly at all. There's no catch up mechanic that makes the scenarios harder if you win and easier if you lose. In fact quite the opposite is true. If you continually fail you'll end up with less powerful cards in your desk from having less xp, your characters will have permanent sanity and/or health penalties and you'll possibly have worse tiles to pull out the bag. That's my experience of it any how in a game where we've lost nearly every time and it now feels like we've fallen way behind the curve but yet the game continues to punish us for failing rather than lending a helping hand. It's still good fun though, in a "I wonder how many turns we'll stay alive this time" kind of way, but we have very little chance of completing any scenario.

We finished Dunwich, managed to defeat the big bad optimally - but probably only 'won' 3 of the scenarios optimally. 

we lasted about 20 minutes in the train scenario - but we just rolled with it.

What I would say is that Carcosa does do a bit more of this balancing though, it's also much more story based where your choices have bigger impacts through each scenario.

The wife and I played Pandemic Legacy again last night, early March.

Spoiler

The way this game introduces change is so much more natural than Risk Legacy, making it really feel like a constant evolution. The stuff we've got so far has very much been a a case of "what will we need this for?" And then at the end of the game we are all kinds of "oooooh right".

Anyway, we had zero funding for early March so it was just us and our wits. The increased objectives didn't worry us as one of them was something we'd done every game.

We did ok, but Western Europe (where our Coda virus has taken hold, boy was it a mistake choosing blue) can't be treated or cured so we are having to bounce around a bit.

But we got slammed from the start. The first card drawn off of the player deck in the first turn was an epidemic cars and it went downhill from there. We managed to just about pull it back, and we were a turn and a half from curing the final disease, when another outbreak in Western Europe flattened us and we lost first by hitting 8 outbreaks and would have lost due to running out of cubes regardless if it hadn't.

Balls. We've now been given increased funding to try again later in March, but now we've got some panic level 2s and 3s in Paris, London, Madrid and Essen we're in even more trouble.

That said, we do now have every virus as curable without needing to be at a research station, so maybe we have a chance....

This is so, so good. And, being playable in an hour with two players, it's the perfect length for us.

• Upvote 5

We finished our final game of Pandemic Legacy, and boy was it a corker. Without spoiling, all I'll say is that we managed to complete our final objective on the final possible turn (just before drawing from the empty player deck), making it the closest game I've ever played. With it taking my group two years to see Season 1 through to its conclusion, and entering the second game of December with a pretty dire board state, it was a pretty dramatic moment during the final round when between us we worked out that not only was victory possible, but that it would take every single of our final actions to accomplish with zero margin for error.

Some spoilers for the final mission as well as pictures of the board:

Spoiler

Our mission to contain Coda had not gone well. Ground Zero was San Francisco, and by the time we'd discovered the vaccine, the disease had spread across most of the world, with only southern Asia untouched by Faded.

A particularly bad game in the middle of the year had ended before the second round of turns had even completed, the first three initially infected cities were all Faded and all adjacent. The first player card drawn was an Epidemic, and it went downhill from there, turning cities in the Middle East and North Africa over to the green menace.

We don't talk about Chicago anymore.

But we'd not wasted our time in the first half of December. Knowing it was extremely unlikely we'd accomplish both goals in one game, we abandoned the search in the hope of vaccinating as many blue cities as we could, in the hope of setting up a better state for our final game. And it worked, two of the three-cube cards we drew for initial infections were vaccinated blue cities, meaning a lot fewer threats to handle at the start. A character upgrade allowed us to reuse the binoculars, without which we'd have never acquired all the cards we needed to locate the Coda stockpile.

This is how things looked at the start of our final game:

IMG_20180621_201925.thumb.jpg.4590b9e9a5cc92cf530543a4905e5589.jpg

Here's our world at the end. In the top left is the white pawn, the last city to receive the vaccine (on the last turn) was San Francisco, where it started all those months ago:

IMG_20180621_223255.thumb.jpg.c61b7e76d917f32cd7c2ac1e3c54189d.jpg

Our final score placed us in the second-from-last bracket, because we had to receive help from Bravo Team after failing to complete one of the earlier searches, which massively penalised us. But we were happy not to have completely fucked it, and completing the two final objectives meant we were all able to walk away satisfied that we'd accomplished something.

It's weird now that we've finished it. I've really enjoyed it, and it's definitely one of the most unique experiences in board gaming. But, am I ready for Season 2? It's difficult to say, I think I need a break from it to truly know if I'll miss it so much that I'll want to play more.

• Upvote 3

Season 2! Season 2! I’ve played up until May of season 2 and have enjoyed it a whole lot more than season 1. And I loved season 1. :) Although I do appreciate the need for a break, but definitely pick it up some day! 

I actually just bought a fresh season 1 for my nephew and I to play through. I went over the other weekend with the intent of carrying on our 7th Continent adventure, but I also took Pandemic and Mansions of Madness and one of the exit games as it was an all day session we had planned. He loved pandemic so much that we didn’t get round to 7th Continent. First game planned for tomorrow! Although it won’t be the same experience for me, I’m hoping that my poker face will be enough to not give anything away and I’ll go with whatever plan of actions he thinks best. 

• Upvote 1

Photosynthesis

91VSJvLcm0L._SX522_.jpg

Saw this at the Expo, but didn't get round to playing it.

It's quite good fun (you plant, grow and eventually harvest trees for points). The trees are on a grid and the "sun" rotates around the hexagonal board. The direction of sun, shade, other trees shadows etc affect your options/points to spend each turn. 

It works rather well - but I'd be worried there's "best" options early on. The variation in point tiles (there's 4 levels of points cards - from outer ring to inner space) also wasn't that massive. The inner space gets you 20-22 points, but the next right out (with 6 spots) gets you 18-20 points. Needed more variance for the difficulty to get them.

Enjoyed it and would play again, but also on the basis of one play, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Rebellion

A big weekend game for a guys Birthday. Still absolutely love this. The expansion combat and missions at some good variety, and the dice roll element and thematic make some memorable moments. (2 brave little Tie Fighters protected a Death Star under construction from a Rebel Fleet due to great tactics and Brilliant/Terrible dice rolls)

• Upvote 3

We beat Late March in Pandemic Legacy! When we wrapped it up we realised we'd completely fucked up the placement of structures and had cheated our way to victory! This was because we'd only built one extra structure in the previous games, full stop.

But, if ever there was a game where there's no backsies, it's a Legacy game, so we've gotta run with it.

(Fuck)

• Upvote 1

On 24/06/2018 at 18:36, Rikku said:

Season 2! Season 2! I’ve played up until May of season 2 and have enjoyed it a whole lot more than season 1. And I loved season 1. :) Although I do appreciate the need for a break, but definitely pick it up some day! 

I actually just bought a fresh season 1 for my nephew and I to play through. I went over the other weekend with the intent of carrying on our 7th Continent adventure, but I also took Pandemic and Mansions of Madness and one of the exit games as it was an all day session we had planned. He loved pandemic so much that we didn’t get round to 7th Continent. First game planned for tomorrow! Although it won’t be the same experience for me, I’m hoping that my poker face will be enough to not give anything away and I’ll go with whatever plan of actions he thinks best. 

I didn't enjoy season 2 much at all. It was a lot harder to get into, probably because of the new rules and we just had a terrible time being overwhelmed and losing most games even though we did actually win at the end

Space Base

Despite it's title you actually spend very little time making Space Base, and more time building space ships.

You have 12 ships. You roll 2 6 sided dice. You can either "activate" the number on each dice, or add them together and active the total. You can resources/VP from whatever you active

You can also buy a ship and replace one of your 12 - upgrading what you get when you active. The replaced ship goes to the "passive" pile for that number. 

The passive bit you get to activate (with less rewards) when other people have their turn rolling.

So it's a cute little engine builder - all card based. Thematically light - but a lot of work has been put into names etc, so many raise a little smile.

It's not revolutionary, but it's solid and I'd happily play again

• Upvote 1

Finally got round to starting season 1 of Pandemic Legacy with my nephew last night.  We played both January and February.

I can't believe the start that we got.  Below spoiler contains a picture of the board at the end of the first turn in January and other January spoilers!

Spoiler

We got hit pretty badly by black on the Infection set up, my nephew was playing the scientist (Bob) and I was playing the medic (Dr Strange).  He went first and headed over to black to start cleaning up a little bit, and I was going to follow him over by tackling red and moving on over from that direction, given it was the first turn we thought we had a couple of turns to do some clearing.  I don't know why we weren't expecting an epidemic on the first turn, but there we are.  We drew Istanbul for Infection which already had 3 cubes so it outbroke and chained to him. We were convinced that we had lost the game on this first turn. :lol: Black disease mutated to CODa so we tried to do damage cotnrol whilst scrambling about looking for the cures for the other three and unbelievably, we came back for the (very close) win!

292325540_EarlyJanuary.jpg.aceae1ea67eefce53bacb4135a0f5353.jpg

He was unfortunate enough to be in Atlanta when that outbroke as well towards the end of the game, with our scientist having 2 scars it wasn't looking good so our game end upgrade was to give him the grizzled upgrade so that he could no longer be scarred by being in a city that outbroke. And we chose red to be cured without needing to be at a research centre.

February - Board spoilers and February game Spoilers:

Spoiler

So with CODa no longer being treatable, my nephew decided to switch out to our new best buddy, the Quarantine Specialist and I continued on with the medic.  We became co-workers, making it that little bit easier to swap cards.  We decided that he should focus on quaratining problematic areas, whilst I dived around cleaning up elsewhere. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be, CODa just utterly took over, we were so close to curing yellow but an epidemic meant that Dehli outbroke and chained and we run out of black cubes.  On the plus side, more upgrades!

1677636248_FebEarlyLosenoBlackCubes.thumb.jpg.67f8ca6279c2142bea7697e85d7bec01.jpg

We came back stronger than ever though in late February, after begging the Government for a bit more funding and recalling we had a win bonus from January, we put our resources to good use and upgraded the other diseases!  Unfortunately the panic levels have started to rise in some cities.  And riots are breaking out.   Our game end upgrade here was to chose a permanent research centre in St Petersburg, hopefully making it easier for our Quarantine Specialist to get to that terrible CODa zone. Whilst I learned how to treat a city connected to me. :wub:

1905556322_FebLateEndGameBoard.thumb.jpg.f21798cf2da2bc251be06423dff89656.jpg

Bring it on, March.

• Upvote 7

I haven't played Season 1 but got Season 2 in the recent Tesco sale... really looking forward to trying that.

In other news, heading off for a couple of weeks on holiday - taking Arkham Horror LCG with me and going to solo through all of Carcosa.  I'll probably play the easy chaos cup as I don't like solo playing two characters, just far too much for me to deal with.

Code of Nine made it to the table last night, and boy that is a pile of mixed emotions.

Code of Nine is a worker placement game with a maximum number of moves before the game ends. The big twist is that each player has two cards that only they can see at the start of the game, and you can choose to take turns to look at your opponent's cards. These cards hold modifiers to the end-game scoring conditions - so for instance whoever has the most of some particular item gets bonus points, whoever has the fewest items gets X points, etc. The idea being that the items you take over the course of the game stand you in the best stead for making the most of the hidden bonuses. When you receive the cards, you put one into a section that is easy for your opponents to see, and one is more difficult to see (it's actually impossible for all players to see all the cards over the course of a game).

All well and good so far, until you find that some of the cards carry an instant-loss condition - the one we found last night was that if one player had the fewest of one specific item (as opposed to two people having the fewest) then that player cannot win the game. This happened to @Pelekophoros last night, he battered us but was gotcha'd by this thing that I'd hidden in the bit that was difficult to look in.

The issue with this isn't that it exists, it's that if you don't know the game inside out then you are liable to get owned by it in a really unsatisfactory manner. The high level play of Code of Nine is probably great fun - deducing what your opponents have and keeping track of what manner they're playing in and acquiring items appropriately sounds like it would be wonderful, but the low-level play is just finding out that you accidentally can't win the game because of some card that you didn't know was in play.

If your group is good at keeping track of external information and paying attention to what your opponents are doing this has the potential to be a great double-bluffing power struggle of a game. I don't think I've got the time in my life to reach that point, and I can get my similar-style of game fix from Lords of Waterdeep instead.

We also played some more Shards of Infinity - previous concerns about armour cards being overpowered have dissipated slightly, as I had a good look through the deck and found that there's only ten armour cards in the game - so just shy of a 1/9 ratio. As soon as they start getting spread around the players then the combat cards start getting much more powerful. All three games of it that were played last night were ended by a large combat step, but you do have to be extra-aware of how much armour people are buying if you're going for that strategy.

Finally The Game, which is a simple cooperative limited-discussion game - I'll get on to describing this one later as I have to go now and my first attempt made no sense whatsoever.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

Code Of Nine is fucking bollocks and anyone who enjoys its high level play is probably a Brexit advocating Trump supporter.

Sore loser.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Sore loser.

Shit maths trade.

edit: to expand for the audience. The game has so many gotchas within it that are all designed to negate different strategies that combined with the limitations on how much you can investigate you’re basically flying blind in the hope that maybe the card that will screw you isn’t in play but, hey, maybe it will be.

the soonest you can start to add any certainty is Turn 3 of 5, and there’s only 1 action on the entire board that one player can use each turn, meaning there’s absolutely no opportunity at all to check your strategy.

so, even high level play is going to have to consist of hedging your bets and hoping or, by ensuring every strategy has a card associated with it that will fuck you up, the game has effectively removed most strategy from it. The only strategy you can have that consistently plays through is to have one of your two cards tucked away in the hope it will goose the person who is running away with things. And given you don’t know what cards they have, you don’t know if you’re tucking away the right one.

It’s a game of absolute luck; you take a punt at the start, and the you’re taking the punt for at least 2 more turns before you hope you can draw it back.

Possibly one of the worst games I’ve played. It’s like some weird mashup of Love Letter and Waterdeep without understanding what made either of those games good. 

It definitely seems to suffer from Killer Bunnies-itis - in that you can be the best during the game by miles and still lose.

Thing is with enough knowledge I think you'd be able to have an idea of what cards people have based on the way they're playing, but there's so much road from where we're at (in which it is very unsatisfying) to where that becomes a positive.

I do love the idea too, that scoring is based on hidden information - but when the hidden information is absurdly powerful it does cheapen the rest of the game.

Pandemic Legacy S1 again.

Early April

Spoiler

We stuck as Medic and Scientist again. Dr Meatpouch is now Grizzled, meaning he can't take any more scars, and given he can call in favours from neighboring cities and treat all cubes in them, he's pretty fucking good.

Professor Fox can cure with just four cards, which also helps.

We had a crisis of conscience and marked our previous game down as a loss, given we fucked the rules. Amusingly it made this one easier given the funding increase. 

2 epidemics in, Coda mutated again. We now have....YAWN....zombies. I get it, I really do, but fuck me that's a bit boring isn't it?

Anyway, we managed to beat early April with just 2 outbreaks (though we were 3 epidemics in so a fair way through the deck). A number of cities are now faded (and I'll need to double check what that means) but this win felt pretty comfortable. 

We even got the rules right.

Looking forward to playing May.

• Upvote 1

I started my new job on Monday, I've been assigned a buddy and I had a catch up lunch with her in my calendar for today.  We were talking about the weekend, and I mentioned that I would probably head over to my sisters to play some boardgames.  She got really excited and for a moment I thought, ooooooooh this could lead to something.  Sadly she went on to describe how her and her partner played connect 4.  I smiled encouragingly and nodded appropriately. Maybe someday, I might take in Rhino Hero for our next buddy lunch and take it from there. :D

Anyway, the point of my post.  Pandemic, season 1! March and April under our belts.  Kind of.

March game and board spoilers:

Spoiler

We won March! Hooray! We had two objectives, and we chose to eradicate a disease and cure the others.  We got incredibly lucky with our blue infections which meant eradicating was done with very little effort.  Not really a lot to say about this.  We were playing with Dr Strange (medic) and the quarantine specialist. 

2131752252_MarchEarlyBoard.jpg.4de53fbb571efc58149e2683afd9d80e.jpg

April game and board spoilers:

Spoiler

Fuck. We lost so hard to early April. As soon as we uncovered our objectives, we thought we would switch it up a bit and went for the Operations Specialist and the Quarantine Specialist.  Our plan was to start building the structures and pick them as game end upgrades to ensure that objective was always met going forward. Without the medic though, things got bad, really quickly.  The faded started to spread, outbreaks were happening all over the globe, panic levels are on the rise, and we failed.  Although I think we probably played it wrong, as soon as the faded started to appear, we replaced everything already on the board with Faded and tracked back and realised Cairo was our city zero.  In hindsight, the card did say from now on, so I think we probably have more faded cities than we should.  But, at least we go in to late April with some funding which should hopefully help.  The medic is getting brought out of early retirement as well!  We have plans to play tomorrow, and it's looking to be quite a long session so hopefully we'll get a few more months played. :)

110293987_AprilEarlyBoardEnd.jpg.85252299319f40f13ee8246ccfda29c1.jpg

• Upvote 4