Jump to content
IGNORED

Dungeons & Dragons Thread


Lorfarius
 Share

Recommended Posts

Question, as the DM is mind controlling a high level spell caster PC and having them burn their highest level spell slot on trying to kill the party a really annoying thing for a DM to do or is it all part of the fun? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh yes definitely and if he is a rogue make sure he is getting that sneak attack and using optimum attacks :D

 

As for the question it depends on the mind controller and its intentions. If it is an intelligent relatively high challenge opponent and it wants to kill the whole party then yep use every single high spelll slot for two reasons - 1) to damage the party and 2) to reduce how many spells he has when he regains control... if he was a sorceror I'd be burning those sorcery points as quickly as possible.

 

trying to judge how intelligent your party's attackers are and formulating strategy is one of the most fun aspects. Get to a certain level and creatures will adapt and try to pick off the weakest or the one doing most damage etc.

 

It is quite high level CR when you get to that point though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't change it that much - in 5e players can do a load of damage per round - you could be looking at 5 characters of that level managing 100 damage per round between them easily.

 

Maybe lower the AC to ensure they get those hits in but again most players will have +7 to hit etc.

 

If you check kobold fight club  2 lvl 7 and 3 lvl 9s fighting a CR16 is a deadly encounter - BUT - not by much (if you tweak the players up a bit it becomes "medium" level and I find KFC overestimates the danger. What really hits players hard is abilities that drain and do extra damage or abilities that restrict their ability ot hit/cause damage (immunities and resistances etc) that creature has none of those.

 

All of the above depends on how rested they are when they meet the creature - will they be full rested or will they be at half spells/2nd wind/ki/sorcery? Or will they be tapped out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Our small group is considering D&D as a way of getting back to gaming in a reasonably socially distanced way (and giving us the option to continue should there be another lockdown). Problem is we've got no idea where to start or if there are any obvious alternatives to D&D that might be better.

 

1) There will always be a minimum of 4 people (including the DM) with 5 some of the time. Unlikely the group will expand beyond that though.

2) None of us have ever played a TTRPG before, or certainly not in the last 15 years.

3) Our board game sessions tend to be long-ish affairs so time shouldn't be a limiting factor.

4) Theme isn't hugely important, although we haven't discussed that

5) I think the group would probably err to something with a reasonably well defined ruleset and not something that relies on very heavy RPG/creative elements. At least to start with!

 

D&D seems like the obvious option, and if it is - where the hell to start to have a 'trial' session of sorts? I'll probably end up being the DM and i'm happy to do all the initial legwork to get it up and running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s never been easier to get into D&D. It’s the starting point and the default for lots of reasons. Yes there are alternatives but D&D is the most widely played and the most widely supported. I could not recommend anything else. 
 

Buy the Starter set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0786965592/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tsClFbCZP5985 it’s a campaign in a box and the perfect introduction.

 

Basic rules are in it but also here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
 

good luck and have fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@phresh Honestly, if you're looking to get into TTRPGs, I wouldn't recommend anything to you but D&D. 5th Edition is a fantastic, comprehensive and straightforward system. It still suffers from that D&D thing where you're basically getting an amazing tabletop skirmish battle game with a roleplay sort of built around it, but I think from what you've said about your group this is almost an advantage.

 

I do have my concerns about D&D devouring the whole hobby, but there's a reason why it's so big - it's beginner friendly, and it's good.

 

Please, please, please make sure wherever you play it, play fights on a grid. The true brilliance of the combat encounters won't reveal themselves without it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I do have my concerns about D&D devouring the whole hobby, but there's a reason why it's so big - it's beginner friendly, and it's good.

 

It’s almost always been like this though. I’ve been playing since the early 80s (starting with D&D) and it’s always been the dominant RPG. These days you can certainly find out more about other RPGs via the internet but D&D is great for getting new people into the hobby. 5e is great as it’s a really solid system that has learnt the lessons from the past. 
 

The mid eighties scene was a bit more diverse but that was probably down to GW publishing and stocking other games but that all vanished when they focused on their own games. It seems really hard to make money from RPGs these days, which I don’t quite understand, and I wonder how much money and players are into computer games instead. 
 

I understand your concerns though, there are lots of good games out there. I’d quite like to play a bit of war gaming  but 40k and Age of Sigmar hold no interest for me And GW is soooo dominant. 
 

@phresh Good luck - if you have any questions ask here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I understand your concerns though, there are lots of good games out there. I’d quite like to play a bit of war gaming  but 40k and Age of Sigmar hold no interest for me And GW is soooo dominant. 

 

You are probably right of course. And I suspect that the word "concerns" isn't the best one for it. I'm not really fretting or anything - locally it's just got a little bad with the local RP venues more or less running exclusively D&D, and other games being pushed right the way out. Still, it's not like I can begrudge Wizards the success, as I've said above they've got a fantastic product that I would still recommend to new people trying to get into the hobby.

 

I'm sure they'll get overconfident and stuff up 6th Edition.

 

Also, where's my Dark Sun campaign book, Wizards? That's the best D&D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I'm sure they'll get overconfident and stuff up 6th Edition.


 

 

Up until now I have only really played odd numbered editions. I hope they muck up 6th just so I can keep my reverse Star Trek film thing going. 
 

11 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Also, where's my Dark Sun campaign book, Wizards? That's the best D&D.

 

I want Greyhawk! :quote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/08/2020 at 22:05, phresh said:

Our small group is considering D&D as a way of getting back to gaming in a reasonably socially distanced way (and giving us the option to continue should there be another lockdown). Problem is we've got no idea where to start or if there are any obvious alternatives to D&D that might be better.

 

1) There will always be a minimum of 4 people (including the DM) with 5 some of the time. Unlikely the group will expand beyond that though.

2) None of us have ever played a TTRPG before, or certainly not in the last 15 years.

3) Our board game sessions tend to be long-ish affairs so time shouldn't be a limiting factor.

4) Theme isn't hugely important, although we haven't discussed that

5) I think the group would probably err to something with a reasonably well defined ruleset and not something that relies on very heavy RPG/creative elements. At least to start with!

 

D&D seems like the obvious option, and if it is - where the hell to start to have a 'trial' session of sorts? I'll probably end up being the DM and i'm happy to do all the initial legwork to get it up and running.

 

I would have suggested either the Call of Cthulhu or Takes from the Loop starter sets so if you don’t get on with D&D maybe try those. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I do like the look of Tales from the Loop.

 

I'll be DM'ing the first part of Mines of Phandelver on Saturday evening! Nervously excited about it - it's with good friends (who are all just as inexperienced with D&D) so I think it will be good fun and relaxed, and everyone seems quite excited about it. I'll post here with how it goes (and probably a thousand questions!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2020 at 12:09, phresh said:

Thanks, I do like the look of Tales from the Loop.

 

I'll be DM'ing the first part of Mines of Phandelver on Saturday evening! Nervously excited about it - it's with good friends (who are all just as inexperienced with D&D) so I think it will be good fun and relaxed, and everyone seems quite excited about it. I'll post here with how it goes (and probably a thousand questions!).

 

Nice one, best of luck with it :D We're up to Cragmaw Castle now and its been great. I was really nervous the first session even though it was with friends I know well but have settled into things nicely. I overprep a lot I think but I enjoy digging into the story. Happy to answer any questions about my experience with the adventure (although I'm a first timer too so that may not be worth much)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2020 at 12:09, phresh said:

Thanks, I do like the look of Tales from the Loop.

 

I'll be DM'ing the first part of Mines of Phandelver on Saturday evening! Nervously excited about it - it's with good friends (who are all just as inexperienced with D&D) so I think it will be good fun and relaxed, and everyone seems quite excited about it. I'll post here with how it goes (and probably a thousand questions!).

 

I ran some forum folk through this campaign four years ago (holy crap how was it four years ago?!?) and it was fun, leading them to carry on playing in new campaigns. Our experience was captured here:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had our first session last night, getting up to the entrance of the Cragmaw Hideout. It all went off reasonably well, considering none of us had played before, and we all had fun and want to carry on with the adventure, so must have done something right!

 

The ambush encounter was tough, we didn't use a map and I didn't do a great job of tracking, or sometimes explaining, where everything was. Also I think I got some of the rules around hiding a bit off so need to head back to the rulebook! We only had 3 players so I adjusted the difficulty and even then I played the goblins reasonably 'kindly' and fudged one dice roll to keep the party members alive. Was funny in places too, the cleric failing an intimidation check while trying to invoke the power of their gods, but effectively running into the bushes shouting garbage while nobody took any notice.

 

One thing I struggled with a bit was how to run the traps on the Goblin Trail. I simply asked the person at the front of the marching order to roll a perception check and then described the trap (spotted the snare, fell in the pit), but this felt a bit clunky, especially just doing it twice in succession. It still worked fine, just felt a bit awkward, whereas everything else seemed to flow quite nicely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it was just getting the pacing right maybe. Trying to communicate the passing of time (long or short) is obviously something i'll need to get to grips with.

 

At one point when intimidating a captured goblin I did have to remind the group that this wasn't a torture porn simulator :lol:. It also helped when it twigged that they weren't these legendary heroes, which definitely added to the adventure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.