rllmuk
Lorfarius

Dungeons & Dragons Thread

The first episode was pretty combat heavy. They had some nice minis. I think it’s unlikely to be to my taste long term, but I’ve watched all of his instructional videos so it’s interesting to see him play. The story heavy / lightly comic style of Chris Perkins is more my sort of thing. I’ve skimread Strongholds and Followers and it’s fine but I doubt it will be used in my game any time soon. Happy to support him as I’ve found his videos really useful.

Playing DnD last night. My Wild Magic Sorc (level 3) is part of a fight against a Monster Stirge and a undead 2 headed dog. Blast them with a spell basically ending the fight...but triggers Wild Magic.

A Modron spawns. (WTF IS THAT is pretty much character and player reaction). DM has to describe while laughing.

New pet!!!

It disappeared after 1 minute :(

Plot point for later! We will find that Modron!

• Upvote 1

WotC is publishing a Stranger Things D&D Starter Set!

FD817208-B42B-4087-8754-02F5F7F63150.jpeg.a2d7cdcdee1b2a3b9058eb3fa56c2fd2.jpeg

Stranger Things themed Dungeons & Dragons: embark on an exciting Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Hunt for the Thessalhydra, "created" By the character Mike from the Netflix original series, Stranger Things

Great game for new Dungeon & Dragons players: whether players are new to D&D, or looking for a new adventure, this Stranger Things themed roleplaying game includes everything a group needs to PLAY

Detailed rules, adventure book and game dice: The exciting adventure book and colorful rulebook contain tons of information on how to play the game, strategy, and tips for players to advance a character beyond the Fifth level, plus 6 Polyhedral dice so you're ready to play

Stranger Things character sheets: play as a favorite stranger things character

Includes 2 Demogorgon figures: The game includes 2 Demogorgon figures, one that players can paint and customize

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/13/stranger-things-dungeons-dragons-starter-set/

We've finished our family play through of The Lost Mine of Phandelver last night. A heroic final battle, where my amazing god given powers (spirit guardians) more or less defeated everything - which was probably good as my son hadn't scaled the fight down for there only being the three of us and the halfing got trapped for a decent portion of the fight. I think our less than strict interpretations of where players are in relation to creatures probably helped there. Generally, enemies seem to always be "yeah, he's within 5ft of you" which is mostly ok, bar when the rogue actually doesn't want to be within 5ft of them. I'm rationalizing it as a bit like the walking dead, with enemies not being there and then boom! They're all lined up right next to you.. I figure there's only so many mechanics you can try taking on as a new DM anyway.

My son's all in favor of starting up another asap, which other son is cool with (and really wants to be a forest gnome ranger), I'm happy with and wife is resigned to 'enjoying' for the greater good. He'd like a brand new campaign, starting at level 1 if anyone has any suggestions? He's done a bit of googling and is liking the sound of Storm King's Thunder.

Which we'll probably end up doing regardless it that's what he fancies, but I'm a bit concerned it might be too open ended in places. Although I can always just herd people along, it's kind of what I was doing in lmop anyway. Plus this time rather than being the quiet cleric who doesn't like to lead I'm the wildly charismatic bard, who clearly should be leading.

SKT does make a natural transition from LMOP. I’m DMing it at the moment and the biggest challenge for me was the vast size of the open world that’s somewhat underpopulated with encounters. I think I’ve been able to overcome that with a bunch of extra reading about the setting and a bit of smoke and mirrors but it made me appreciate the smaller scale of LMOPs sandbox. 

Curse of Strahd seems like one of the best hardcovers, but gothic horror is not to everyone’s tastes. Tomb of Annihilation has a great plot driver and some atmospheric settings  but is a bit of a race against time, the hex crawl looks a bit long and under populated and finishes with an enormous death trap dungeon, none of which I fancy running. I do fancy running Dragon Heist, but I think I’d only use bits of Mad Mage as I think my players would get bored of being stuck in a dungeon for ages. The other hardcovers seem less appealing to me. For those reasons, I think SKT was a good choice for us. If we do ever finish SKT I think Strahd or Dragon Heist would be my next choices, but maybe by then I’ll want to just run my own. 

Dragon Heist would be worth a look. It is a city based adventure and as such is quite freeform for the players but I think has probably been designed to be a Starter Set alternative and is probably easier to DM than SKT or TOA. It only covers levels 1-5 as written but the Mad Mage dungeon crawl can follow it. 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2019/02/28/dungeons-and-dragons-sourcebooks-young-adventurers/

Earlier this week, comic book writer Jim Zub announced that he was helming a new series of Dungeons & Dragons books designed to introduce the game to middle school aged players. The D&D Young Adventurer's Guides will be a series of new books published by Ten Speed Press that will focus on the key aspects of D&D and show young players (or new players of any age) what they can use to build their own characters and adventures.

So, having started playing D&D for the first time last year, and ended up with a solid group of regulars that I enjoy playing with, I've been getting into the swing of the game - mechanically and... roleplayingly. That culminated this weekend in three of us opting to take part in a 5e adaptation of Tomb of Horrors hosted by our local board gaming cafe.

One of the players dropped out without telling anyone, so we ended up doing the thing with a party of four level 10 characters - one human thief to deal with the locks and spot the more mundane traps (Mike, our regular DM); one assassin/shadow monk for combat and backup dex checks (Tanya, regular party member), one gnome divination wizard to read, identify, see invisible things and, in a pinch, murder things (me), and one Paladin to keep everyone moving (chap I didn't know).

Unspoilery version: over a 10 hour (11:00 - 21:30, including half-hour dinner break) session we managed to win, albeit with one TPK in the latter half that the DM allowed us to rewind, and scraping the last encounter (which we wouldn't have been allowed to reset) by the skin of our teeth and one beautiful roll. It was a very fun time.

Also everyone was very appreciative of my gnome miniature, so that was gratifying.

Spoilery version (seriously, if you've never done Tomb of Horrors and think you might want to, don't read the following):

We managed the early sections with relatively little difficulty. Well, I say that: two of our party lost their equipment [and clothes] going through an unfriendly teleporter; fortunately this was 'only' the Paladin - now relegated to healer rather than tank, as being a half-orc didn't really offset being reduced to AC12 from AC20... - and the shadow monk, whose AC and damage output were unaffected. Alas, this also cost us the Orb of Seeing and all other contents of our bag of holding. Moral of the story: don't send the paladin-of-burden through a teleporter, even if it had no damaging effects on my familiar...

I guess there was also the bit where my atypical decision to play as a male character was promptly thwarted when my gnome entered a mysterious gas and came out with a rather different body (and a whole new set of morals), which was bemusing for all, but otherwise things passed without too much trouble; we paid attention to red lines, heeded ambiguous warnings, paid good attention to to our environment (apart from our poor thief who continually bungled his checks and fell down pit traps, which was quite entertaining). Someone nearly enjoyed a lava-y death, but a timely levitate spell solved that problem.

The one disaster we had was against a certain mummy lord, who rolled top of initiative, insta-KOd me, and then our paladin decided it would be a good idea to, instead of restoring me to just blast the mummy to death, loot my unconscious form for the suspect wish stone I'd pilfered and try and use it to kill said mummy. Then, when it started glowing hot, instead of throwing it away, doubled down and held it against the mummy - resulting in a TPK as all four of us (and, in fairness, the mummy) were vapourised in the blast. That's the point where the DM revived us (at a permanent -2 CON & -1 chosen stat penalty).

Other than that, we had a nice time bumbling onwards, meeting a djinn, and me wishing it away before anyone else in the team could accidentally bring ruin on us (namely our paladin or monk, both of whom were very keen to try for wishes), then finally reaching a not-at-all dangerous looking room of treasure with a not-at-all-suspect skull. Also our teammates' missing clothes and equipment, which was nice for them.

When it became clear the party were going to loot the room of impending doom for everything it was worth, my wizard decided to stand outside (we'd burrowed through the trap door rather than rushing through, so that was easy enough) and rest, regaining my second level 5 spell slot, which I was very glad for when our paladin decided to, er, poke the skull with a pole, thus awaking Acererak.

That combat was a fun time; things started well with a 20 I had portented allowed a teammate to deal massive damage, followed by a portented 8 forcing Acererak to burn a legendary action to completey resist cone of cold (based solely on this session portent has become one of my favourite subclass features), but three rounds in and we had two of our party eyebrowed, and our remaining thief unable to deal damage (possessing as they did somehow zero magical weapons). Knowing that next turn would be my turn to die as I'd survived until then by staying out of the room, which only really worked when there were threats keeping Acererak occupied, I bravely my weasel familiar bravely rushed in to burn my final level 5 slot on a second cone of cold; the DM flubbed her constitution saving throw, I picked up my dice; she coolly informed me that even so, I needed to deal at least 52 points of damage or Acererak would kill me text turn, I took up my 8 d8s... and rolled three 8s, a 7, two 6s and two 5s.

I was, to put it mildly, quite pleased.

Anyway, I had a very nice time, and am now familiar enough with the rules and mechanics of most classes that I'm beginning to think about maybe trying my hand at DMing something short. I know this question has been asked a good few times, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good module to start with? I'd want to start with a short one (8-12 hour), and I'd likely be running it for the people I already play with: meaning people who already know how to play, so I shouldn't need to explain rules to them, but also meaning they will have played the most obvious introductory sessions and I don't want to bore them with a rerun.

• Upvote 2

Lost Mines of Phandelver from the Starter Set is well regarded by almost everyone  for new players and DMs. It took us 8 * 3 hour sessions to complete so it might be a little long for you but you could easily cut it short if required.

i haven’t played through it, but The Sunless Citadel, from the same 5e compilation that  you got ToH from (Tales from the Yawning Portal) is a low level adventure of about the right length. It’s famous and well regarded but I prefer a little more story. 

Another decent place to start for running a whole campaign is Waterdeep Dragon Heist, which starts out with some easy encounters and dungeons. It does feature a whole city which you may find daunting or inspiring. 

For small one shots A Wild Sheep Chase looks fun, and I also like M.T. Black’s adventures, which seem fun and easy. 

• Upvote 1

Defiance in Phlan is a decent set of 5 mini adventures. 

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/170384

The author does an extensive post mortem on the adventure here, which I found interesting. 

http://www.encodeddesigns.com/news/lessons-learned-four-years-designing-5e/

There are plenty of other “Adventurers League” modules on there which seem straightforward to run but I can’t think of any I’ve read that leap out at me. 

• Upvote 1

If you did maybe fancy running a gothic horror vampire campaign if things go well, Curse of Strahd is one of the better hardcovers and it has an introductory adventure available for free. You could run it as a one shot and then decide if you want to continue. 

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/Curse of Strahd Introductory Adventure.pdf

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Graham S retired said:

i haven’t played through it, but The Sunless Citadel, from the same 5e compilation that  you got ToH from (Tales from the Yawning Portal) is a low level adventure of about the right length. It’s famous and well regarded but I prefer a little more story. 

I played The Sunless Citadel in the early 3.0 era. I really enjoyed it. Yes, it’s a dungeon crawl without much plot and I can’t remember a great deal about it but I enjoyed it. No idea what the 5e conversion is like. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Graham, that's a meaty selection to get into - we're actually midway through Dragon Heist at the moment (my idiot bard is having a particularly great time, having successfully schemed to get the head of her own guild executed by making it look like he was trying to have the Blackstaff assassinated), but I'll definitely take a look at the others!

• Upvote 1

If you get an idea of the sort of thing you’d like to run, let me know, I’ve read a lot of modules in the last year. I’ve only run LMOP, part of SKT, and just prepping for W:DH now. 

In a way, I just recommend reading a bunch of different modules and the core sourcebooks and seeing what attracts you. I expect you’ll end up making up your own stuff anyway, but it’s quite rewarding reading the sourcebooks for inspiration. There’s a lot of gold in there to be mined. 

For new DMs, Matt Colville’s “Running the Game” series on YouTube has some decent advice and encouragement.

I’d also recommend Sly Flourish’s “Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master” which gives you a structured way to organise a session to support improvisation and focusses your prep on the stuff you’re most likely to use.

• Upvote 1

Dungeon scenery creators Dwarven Forge have released a free (almost 400 page) 5e campaign, designed to be accompany their latest scenery sets (but obviously playable without them..) It's designed to be a 'Deadly' adventure for level 1-10 players..

Available in 2 PDF formats - a small web version - or a huge 1GB version designed to be printed..

https://dwarvenforge.com/prepare-to-meet-your-doom/

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Everything about that picture is pure win. You Sir are a great parent.

Thanks!!

he went to bed tonight with the players manual to read.... actually quite choked up about it

• Upvote 1

So question -- if your maximum hit points are reduced to 0 by some magical effect, you instant die, no saving throws etc

How can this be undone? Because it needs greater restoration to undo...

Because if you are revivified/resurrected you come back to life...at 0 HP? And die immediately? Would you have to Greater Restoration the corpse and then revive?