rllmuk
makkuwata

Red Dwarf

6 hours ago, Death's Head said:

I've not braved series 7 since it was first broadcast so was it ever explained how, at the end of series 6 the time-drive could move them in time but not space (hence being stuck in deep space in the medieval period) but by series 7 they're cheerfully nipping back to Earth whenever?

Nope - at a push, they handwave the acquisition of whatever faster than light technology the alternate universe crew used at the end of Series VI, but it's another example of just waving away any need for an explanation. Which would be fine if the comedy was top notch.

On 20/10/2019 at 11:17, PK said:

Why the fuck was Petersen carrying a calculator

It's strange what dates sci-fi isn't it?  It's still 200 years in the future but the one thing that gives away it's an old book is he's not just using his phone. (And in 30 years that line would probably look just as daft).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

It's strange what dates sci-fi isn't it?  It's still 200 years in the future but the one thing that gives away it's an old book is he's not just using his phone. (And in 30 years that line would probably look just as daft).

One of the dated-future things from the early series got acknowledged in Back to Earth:

Dave Lister: What are these things?

Kryten: They're Digital Versatile Discs, sir. DVDs for short. They were very popular in the early part of the 21st century before they died out and were replaced with what we use now.

Dave Lister: Oh, you mean videos?

Kryten: Precisely. Back then no one knew that the human race were utterly incapable of putting the DVDs back in their cases. Case in point: over 2 trillion went missing in just over 20 years. Videos are just too big to lose.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Death's Head said:

I've not braved series 7 since it was first broadcast so was it ever explained how, at the end of series 6 the time-drive could move them in time but not space (hence being stuck in deep space in the medieval period) but by series 7 they're cheerfully nipping back to Earth whenever?

You want plot consistency from Red Dwarf? :lol:

14 hours ago, Nick R said:

One of the dated-future things from the early series got acknowledged in Back to Earth:

I literally couldn't get through more than about the first 5 minutes of Back to Earth despite watching 10,11 and 12 since so I didn't know that.

I fear that might be the best joke in the whole thing.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dudley said:

Well, that and the encyclopedic knowledge of 20th century pop culture from the characters. Relatively speaking it'd be like us all cracking jokes about actors, plays and musicians from the 18th century. (Not that I wanted Dwarf to be filled with Trek-style cultural gobbledegook for the sake of world building!)

I still enjoy the concept of the mail pod arriving with letters for the crew (and big triangular videos) in Better Than Life.

While series 7 gets a huge amount of stick, and it does deserve that, there are still some classic moments like the Rimmer Munchkin song, the beginning to Stoke me a clipper, the Rimmer/Lister kiss etc.

Also Doug says than he and Rob couldn;t be bothered with consistancy and actually abandoned it. Doug likes making Red Dwarf without consistancy as it bothers the fans!

• Upvote 1