rllmuk
makkuwata

Red Dwarf

"So, Kryten, you've heard of this "Inquisitor?""

"Only as a myth; a dark fable; a horror tale, told across the flickering embers of a midnight fire, wherever hardened space dogs gather to drink fermented vegetable products and compete in tales of blood-chilling TERROR..."

"A simple "yes" would have sufficed."

• Upvote 2

"There's gotta be a way out. There hasn't been a prison built that could hold Derek Custer. Why don't we scrape away this mortar here, slide one of these bricks out, then using rope weaved from strands of this hessian, rig up a kind of pulley system, so that when a guard comes in over the tripwire, he gets laid out, and we put Rimmer in the guard's uniform, he leads us out, we steal some swords and fight our way back to the Bug!"

"Or we could use the teleporter."

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, wev said:

"Stop your whining you filthy piece of distended rectum"

I am really sorry to do this but it is one of my fave quotes in Red Dwarf

Stop your foul whining you filthy piece of distended rectum

The rhythm of the line NEEDS the "foul" to scan and be as funny as it is :D

Sorry again

GiddyHeftyHog-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 7

For all the criticisms of the later series there are still some quotes that get me every time

And we're going to...live!

And as overused as it is I still like

Step up to Red Alert!

Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Nowhere near the quality and pathos of the first couple of series but Red Dwarf really does have many facets and periods of differing humour within its life.

The first and second series are incredibly silly and fun but they still have the human factor and pathos (as hammy/amateur as it was in S1). S3-4 etc it becomes bigger and brasher and the humour is sharper/brighter in so many ways. Beyond that it then you move to it being purely that big brash bright humour and no real pathos. Due to a big break it then becomes a very odd beast indeed but still with its moments - introspective without the big brash but still with the obvious humour hooks  but trying so hard to be more "serious". It then shifts gears into almost a parody of s3-6 with dancing blue midgets and bad cg. We then get the weirdness of the Corrie crossover etc which is the hardest to love.... and finally we get the Dave incarnation which is really a sort of tribute act to the original - a handful of moments that remind you of the glory days but mostly going through the motions.

and alot of the above is retrospective of course - at the time of its broadcast everyone I knew hated series 1 saying it was amateurish hammy rubbish. 

I wouldn't be adverse to a reboot with the novels as source mainly because it would just be a different facet of Red Dwarf once again - this time more serious scifi edged. I'm not convinced you'd be able to argue it was better than Red dwarf as there have been so many versions of it - all find their audience :D

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I am really sorry to do this but it is one of my fave quotes in Red Dwarf

Stop your foul whining you filthy piece of distended rectum

The rhythm of the line NEEDS the "foul" to scan and be as funny as it is :D

Sorry again

GiddyHeftyHog-size_restricted.gif

I knew I'd missed something, must have been in the "i" of Rimmer

• Upvote 1

"About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure it's bad news for him. But on the other hand it's party time for all the little worms.

There's just no consoling him."

It is my duty. My duty and as a complete and utter bastard

(one of the darkest moments in RD as well if you strip away the silliness :D )

My favourite scene, and cleverest bit of writing I think the show has ever done, is in the second episode, Future Echoes. Lister talks to future Rimmer and they have the same conversation twice, except the second time it's Lister reacting to Rimmer saying the same things, and thus prompting him to say those things again.

I can't begin to imagine how hard that was to write, but it's utter perfection.

"Well it probably is deja vue, it sounds like it!"

---------

I don't really expect Red Dwarf to hit those heights again, but honestly I do just enjoy watching these characters interact and I'll happily sit through another season of lighthearted sci-fi and camaraderie. (Or a feature episode and some documentaries, in this case.) Bring it on!

• Upvote 4

"You are a total, total.... a word has yet to be invented to describe whatever totally it is that you are, but you are one and a total total one at that."

"All right, keep your hair on." 

"I'm lucky if I can keep my legs on with you around." 

• Upvote 3

I realised I hadn't properly watched all of series 12 so I am giving the "missing episodes" a go. What is interesting is my thoughts on the series as they develop do stand but there are occasional moments with the "tribute act" that do come close to the greatness of earlier RD. The execution juuuuust fails usually though.

Episode 5 - m-corp is just teetering on a classic. The actual execution is a just a little clumsy so it just misses the mark. The high concept of the episode is genius as well as the commentary on virtual currency etc - it just doesn't quite hit the mark. Infuriatingly close though. Old Dave selling his life away, his personality being reset and the final scene being almost good, just a bit sloppy in delivery.

Episode 6 - skipper is teetering even closer - just the lack of a decent ending marks it down. The noone is dead Arnold is personally perfect. A shame it was the last one... we'll see what the "feature" brings.

Anyway those two are the closest tribute act era Dwarf has come and it is tantalisingly close to the genius of early dwarf

• Upvote 2

Well, thanks to the last couple of pages, I'm going to have to start a full Dwarf-through tonight, aren't I?

Only, I can't, because I got rid of all my Red Dwarf DVDs when I moved in with my missus. Smeg.

Is it on Netflix?

26 minutes ago, PK said:

It is!

Hooray!

11 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just remember to stop after season 6.

Haha don't worry. I still remember the feeling when series 7 originally aired. All the hype and excitement of new Red Dwarf, after what seemed like half a lifetime of waiting since 6, slowly draining out of me as I gradually realised it was shit.

The second most crushing disappointment of my teenage years (the first being when Becky Crawford said no when I asked her out).

• Upvote 3

On 22/10/2019 at 13:15, Shoes said:

Lister, tune into Sanity FM.

Lets flag down a black cab and head for real-street.

Lets get out the sheet music and play the real-waltz.

As an aside is the set (oil rig-esque with all the dials?) for the episode "Justice" the same as Gamesmaster used for a bit? 

36 minutes ago, McFly said:

As an aside is the set (oil rig-esque with all the dials?) for the episode "Justice" the same as Gamesmaster used for a bit? 

Yes:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/guide/index.cfm?sectionID=sets&seriesID=4

Outside of the studio, the crew visited the Sunbury Pumphouse for the massive Justice Zone (a location later used to house Channel 4's Gamesmaster). A water-drenched Starbug exterior was built in the studio - the high-pressure water completely annihilating the long-suffering cast.

Looks like everywhere that Gamesmaster filming location is mentioned online, someone connects it to Red Dwarf. Someone's added it to the Wikipedia article (see the asterisk next to Series 2) and here's a forum thread about it: http://www.bookofthedead.ws/gamesmaster_forums/viewtopic.php?t=25

• Upvote 1

So many favourite quotes already.  Always thought the delivery of this is fantastic 

Kryten:
They've taken Mr. Rimmer! Sir, they've taken Mr. Rimmer!

Cat:
Quick - let's get out of here before they bring him back!

These are both from Rimmerworld

KRYTEN

Sir, I didn't get the opportunity to tell you

before, but earlier today I discovered that Mister

Rimmer is suffering from a stress-related nervous

disorder.

LISTER

Next time I see him he'll be suffering from a

fist-related teeth disorder.

and

CAT

Nothing we can do, I know for a fact there's no

champagne. (smiles)

KRYTEN

On our side of this time dilation phenomena it

will appear as if Mister Rimmer has gone for just

a few hours, but from Mister Rimmer's point of

view, he will have to wait six entire centuries

for us to reach him.

LISTER

To hell with the champagne, we can celebrate with

urine resyc.

That whole sequence in Rimmerworld is brilliant.

• Upvote 2

Emperor Rimmer: "Bring their ashes to me on a plate with a glass of chilled Sancerre"

Cat: "This mans an animal! Doesnt he know its red wine with cold ashes?"

• Upvote 3

RIMMER: He's right. Co-ordinates 1746 by 9472. Take a peek, gentlemen. There's a meteor bigger than King Kong's first dump of the day, and it's screaming straight towards us.

Kryten: "The poor sucker must have written it using a combination of his own blood, and even his own intestines."

Rimmer: "But who would do that?"

Lister: "Someone who badly needed a pen."

• Upvote 1

On 25/10/2019 at 16:27, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just remember to stop after season 6.

Season 7 was a bit of a let down, but I'd rate season 8 as up there with the best of them. Krytie TV had some hilarious moments, such as Lister sabotaging Ackerman's room and the whole "appeal" narrative had a brilliant pay off. Cassandra was another great episode with a lot of classic Dwarf moments, particularly the Rimmer / Kochanski scenes. I mean Back In The Red and Pete were both great too, with the latter being classic Dwarf silliness.

Yeah, didn't rate Back To Earth at all, but everything else has been great IMO.

• Upvote 1

Most of season 8 falls flat to me - Cassandra a notable exception.

"Only The Good..." kinda exemplifies it for me, where Kryten introduces the mirror universe out of nowhere to fuel the plot. I've probably said this earlier in the thread, but in previous series that concept would have been the basis for a whole episode, similar to Timeslides, Bodyswap or Stasis Leak in which the crew discover some way to alter reality, and explore that. They're science fiction scenarios played out over the episode, whereas the mirror universe is basically wizard ex machina.

But hey, even the worst of season 8 is better than Timewave.

• Upvote 1

I've not braved series 7 since it was first broadcast so was it ever explained how, at the end of series 6 the time-drive could move them in time but not space (hence being stuck in deep space in the medieval period) but by series 7 they're cheerfully nipping back to Earth whenever?

I still maintain season 7 with its storyline of Lister being infected with a virus and losing an arm and getting a robotic arm made by Kryten is funny and good, though obviously not as good. And season 8 is an abomination.

• Upvote 3