rllmuk
makkuwata

Red Dwarf

Another interesting thing

"The work was written by Jon Farley and Alex Lucas, in collaboration with Red Dwarf creators Doug Naylor and Rob Grant, and directed by Declan Lowney through Another Film Company"

They did a damn good job replicating the feel of a Red Dwarf script. The character interactions were spot on.

It'll be shit.

I've always thought a film of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers would be good, although these days it'd have to be with a different cast.  I remember it being pretty dark and bleak, and most of the comedy coming from dry sarcasm about how shit their situation was, rather than the wacky adventures of the catchphrase brigade.  It was credited as both of them but it almost certainly has to have been written by Rob Grant, considering everything post-season 6.  I think the plot arc goes The End -> Kryten -> Better Than Life (possibly with Marooned in there as well I think?) and a properly faithful adaption with a decent budget and none of the "remember Duane Dibley?!" shite would be great.

• Upvote 8

I’m just so glad that egos have subsided and they’ve accepted and embraced this as the first line in each of their obituaries. Better than most of us. Have some fun with it. Keep having fun with it.

Some of it will work, some of it won’t. Just don’t steal DelBoys millions after having him walk into the sunset.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, PK said:

It'll be shit.

I've always thought a film of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers would be good, although these days it'd have to be with a different cast.  I remember it being pretty dark and bleak, and most of the comedy coming from dry sarcasm about how shit their situation was, rather than the wacky adventures of the catchphrase brigade.  It was credited as both of them but it almost certainly has to have been written by Rob Grant, considering everything post-season 6.  I think the plot arc goes The End -> Kryten -> Better Than Life (possibly with Marooned in there as well I think?) and a properly faithful adaption with a decent budget and none of the "remember Duane Dibley?!" shite would be great.

The books really are excellent. Somethibg about Lister and Rimmers first encounter on Mimas, and all the ship based shenanigans pre-crew death could be gold. Then the BTL stuff with Bedford Falls and Rimmers billions etc theres so much to be adpated. Ive never asked for any reboot but i think Red Dwarf is an excellent candidate.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PK said:

It was credited as both of them but it almost certainly has to have been written by Rob Grant, considering everything post-season 6. 

I think this is a simplification, like saying "Neil Gaiman wrote the dark mythological stuff in Good Omens, and Terry Pratchett contributed the jokes."' I'm wary of using authors' solo writing to guess at how they worked on collaboration.

I'd completely agree that Red Dwarf was at its best when they were collaborating, and was worse, on average, when Doug Naylor was writing almost everything. But I wouldn't extrapolate that out to assume that when they were a partnership, Rob contributed all the good bits and blame everything bad on Doug. Backwards is a better book than Last Human, but it's not like Rob Grant"s writing record since 1996 has been spotless!

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

I think this is a simplification, like saying "Neil Gaiman wrote the dark mythological stuff in Good Omens, and Terry Pratchett contributed the jokes."' I'm wary of using authors' solo writing to guess at how they worked on collaboration.

I'd completely agree that Red Dwarf was at its best when they were collaborating, and was worse, on average, when Doug Naylor was writing almost everything. But I wouldn't extrapolate that out to assume that when they were a partnership, Rob contributed all the good bits and blame everything bad on Doug. Backwards is a better book than Last Human, but it's not like Rob Grant"s writing record since 1996 has been spotless!

You're right, although my suspicion's based on there being some of the bleak, dryly fatalistic humour from the book in seasons 1-6 of the TV series, and none of it from season 7 onwards.

2 hours ago, McFly said:

The books really are excellent. Somethibg about Lister and Rimmers first encounter on Mimas, and all the ship based shenanigans pre-crew death could be gold. Then the BTL stuff with Bedford Falls and Rimmers billions etc theres so much to be adpated. Ive never asked for any reboot but i think Red Dwarf is an excellent candidate.

Yeah I think it'd work brilliantly. There's so much great stuff in the book:

Spoiler

Lister meeting Rimmer in the taxi, the pre-disaster stuff involving Rimmer's exam meltdown and Z shift bickering, the post-disaster drunken despair that Lister goes through, Rimmer examining his own life post-mortem, Lister trying to make Kryten more human so he's not so alone, etc.  The BTL stuff is fantastic as well, the 'YOU ARE DYING' messages being burned onto Lister's arm while Rimmer's self-hatred destroys the in-game world. 

Oh man, I'd love an Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers film. My most read book ever, so much good stuff in it. Everything had so much reason, like why Lister was on RD in the first place and why he bought the cat, why Rimmer constantly failed the officer exams, the crazy mission Kryten's ship was on and why it crashed.

I want to read it again now.

• Upvote 3

I've only read 'Backwards' I think, but I was surprise at how brutal the books could be - stuff like Rimmer being melted into a puddle but still being able to feel it etc. It really added a bit of visceral horror to the bleak humour.

A Red Dwarf reboot - ten years ago the idea would have sent me into a rage. Now it's maybe an idea whose time has come. And an adaption of Infinity/ BTL would be a brilliant starting point. 

On 18/10/2019 at 17:41, Death's Head said:

I've only read 'Backwards' I think, but I was surprise at how brutal the books could be - stuff like Rimmer being melted into a puddle but still being able to feel it etc. It really added a bit of visceral horror to the bleak humour.

Did I imagine this, or in Backwards is there a bit where they describe the spines on Cat’s penis?

I think I imagined it 

• Empathy 1

You did not imagine it.

Despite everything I said above about being wary of guessing who contributed which bits to the Grant Naylor partnership... On the evidence of Backwards, Rob Grant was the one who tended to take most glee in thinking up gory physical tortures for his characters!

On 18/10/2019 at 12:23, PK said:

I think the plot arc goes The End -> Kryten -> Better Than Life (possibly with Marooned in there as well I think?) and a properly faithful adaption with a decent budget and none of the "remember Duane Dibley?!" shite would be great.

First book is (purely from memory) The End > Future Echoes > Kryten > Me2 > BTL, second is BTL > White Hole > Marooned > plot never seen on TV > Polymorph. But of course, a lot darker, and at times only loosely similar to any TV episodes. 

20 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

A Red Dwarf reboot - ten years ago the idea would have sent me into a rage. Now it's maybe an idea whose time has come. And an adaption of Infinity/ BTL would be a brilliant starting point. 

Cold open with Lister waking up in the café on Mimas, wearing the fishing waders and the crimplene hat. I'd love the first episode to be about him slumming it in the hoppers and living out of a locker, before signing up to JMC. Give it at least two or three episodes to introduce the world, the massive, bustling, city-sized Red Dwarf with the hyper-intelligent version of Holly coordinating everything, Lister settling in with Rimmer and developing his relationships before everything gets abruptly wiped out.

Not what everybody would want from a reboot, but what I'd want from an adaptation.

• Upvote 5

The basic premise is still excellent - last human being in the universe, with nothing but robots, genetically engineered organisms, dead people and the detritus of an overly-consumerist Earth society for company. A pretty awesome setup considering it evolved out of a relatively throw-away radio comedy skit, very high-concept sci-fi - it deserves more than just being used to satisfy the nostalgic cravings of ageing nerds like us. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Anne Summers said:

The basic premise is still excellent - last human being in the universe, with nothing but robots, genetically engineered organisms and dead people for company. An awesome setup considering it evolved out of a relatively throw-away radio comedy skit, very high-concept sci-fi - it deserves more than just being used to satisfy the nostalgic cravings of ageing nerds like us. 

Absolutely.  There's lots of great little details in the books as well - such as stasis pods originally having been created for interstellar travel in pursuit of making contact with other races, only for humans to come to the realisation that they were "utterly, incomprehensibly alone in the universe".  They end up for hire to people who want to spend their spare time "not existing" like Rimmer, or as a method of docking peoples' wages on long-haul journeys.

I'm re-reading it at the moment and it's not quite the heart-wrenching sci-fi epic I remember, but it really does well at depicting the bleakness of everything.

I loved both books when I was younger, and I've read them both a few times in the last 10-15 years or so. Each time I read them now, though, I realise that pretty much all the funniest stuff is in the first book, and possibly even just the first half or first two-thirds. At it's best, I think it's as good as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (another series where the humour tails off pretty quickly in subsequent books), there's some brilliant dialogue and passages where we follow the character's internal thoughts, and loads of little scenes that are paced really well so the humour stands out and doesn't get bogged down by paragraphs of unimportant detail.

Once you get in to book 2, it all becomes far too much plot- and action-driven - exactly the same problem as the later series - and the humour is virtually non-existent so it's more like sci fi drama.

• Upvote 2

Maybe im going space-crazy but id love it to be a dark dramedy rather than typical comedy. Theres so much to work with and current fx could make it awesome and dingy. Almost a Blade Runner Comedy.

Its just hit me how much i love s1 to 6 and the books and audiobooks (read by Chris Barrie obvs). Must have watched them dozens of times, except Queeg.

• Upvote 1