IGNORED

Change one scene, change the whole movie

kerraig UK

I would have taken "I see dead people" out of the trailer for the Sixth Sense, which is effectively like changing the first half of the movie.

I am so sick of movies where the director clearly built up for some sort of ambiguity and surprise in the first act, which the trailer completely short-circuits. It turns the first 20-40 minutes of those movies into a plod.

It wouldn't change the movie, but I'd change the bit in Lost in Translation where they're chased by guys with machine guns. It seemed terribly stupid to me. They're getting shot at, with machine guns, in the middle of a busy street in Tokyo... it was out of place in what was an otherwise quite lowkey and subtle film.

The chase itself is fine by me, but there could have been some other reason for them to run other than there being a guy with an uzi behind them.

It wouldn't change the movie, but I'd change the bit in Lost in Translation where they're chased by guys with machine guns. It seemed terribly stupid to me. They're getting shot at, with machine guns, in the middle of a busy street in Tokyo... it was out of place in what was an otherwise quite lowkey and subtle film.

The chase itself is fine by me, but there could have been some other reason for them to run other than there being a guy with an uzi behind them.

I just don't know what to believe anymore.

A lot of people disagree with me, but hacking the last scene off the end of Shawshank, where Red strolls up to Andy on the beach, would have made it better. The bit where he's on the bus talking about hope would have been a perfect way to end the film. We don't need to see them meet up on the beach

Well, if Mark Kermode is to believe the director is in complete agreement with you there. Apparently the original ending was a fade to black at the end of Red's speech. But that didn't go down well with the test screenings so the studio insisted that the ending be changed so that they did meet up. Darabont argued against this but compromised on an ending with no dialogue when he realised he wasn't going to win.

It would have been a much, much better ending.

Event Horizon.

475claire4.jpg

"What about my ship? You can't just leave her!"

5732-23126.gif

"I have no intention of leaving her, Doctor. I will take the Lewis and Clark to a safe distance, and then I will launch TAC missiles at the Event Horizon until I'm satisfied she's vaporized. Fuck this ship!"

sam+neill.jpg

"Very good, carry on!"