IGNORED

Change one scene, change the whole movie

kerraig UK

Dark City

I'd remove the opening monologue as read by Kiefer Sutherland which pretty much gives the entire film's plot away during the first 60 seconds of the film. Finding out what The Strangers do rather than being told would've been far better, so much so that I mute the film (for the benefit of any new viewers) up until the point Kiefer looks at his watch at which point the film's gold, people don't need it spelled out for them before it begins.

Pretty sure the director's cut version they released a few years back does exactly that!

Collateral! I’d change that to remove the whole last twenty minutes, and end it with

the bit where Terry Fox or whatever his name is crashes his car. Obviously, you’d have to rejig it a little to make that work as an ending, but it would be far more satisfying than the actual ending, which is coincidence city, and completely ridiculous in that Barry Fox, a fat taxi driver, manages to defeat Tom Cruise – a professional assassin – in a running gun battle.

I absolutely love the shootout at the end of collateral. I thought the train door double tap thing was actually really clever and ironic. One of my fave endings to a chase movie ever in fact

re: Collateral:

The ending isn't really a 'running gun battle'. At the actual climax they are both simply firing blind. Part of the film is the concept of circumstances; luck; whatever you want to call it. It fits in perfectly with the philosophical bullshit Tom Cruise's character uses for his own ends. He dies by the nonsense he has been spouting, which is ironic.

I also think it would be weird for Max to pick up more clients as well. Like above it is 'fate' that leads him to first pick up her and then Vincent straight afterwards. He initially ignores the fare because he's daydreaming and obviously that introduction scene shows that Vincent has been scoping out the law offices of his last job, i.e. he has already scouted out all the other targets.

That bit was great, it’s the kind of fast-moving, imaginative action sequence that Spielberg used to excel at and forgot how to do shortly before filming the last Indiana Jones film. It was worth it just for the Marathon 2-style spinny-reloady stun gun things.

It feels like an inventive Spielberg action chase sequence from another film set in a similar universe. It's too reliant on props and timing - it's like the film becomes POTC (or yeah, Indiana Jones) for a few minutes. For me it doesn't gel with the nastier, grimier elements.

I absolutely love the shootout at the end of collateral. I thought the train door double tap thing was actually really clever and ironic. One of my fave endings to a chase movie ever in fact

kerraig:

I liked the car crash scene though, because it was Fox’s way of taking control, and taking on Vincent on his own terms. Having a gunfight just seems wrong for the character; the earlier nightclub scene where he pretends to be the assassin was amazing, because it’s Fox’s character going into an incredibly scary and stressful situation, and rising to the challenge. He wins through determination, and not backing down. That’s real growth from the character we saw at the start of the film.

For him to go on from that, and not only become incredibly steely and assertive, but to become an ace gunman just seemed stupid and unbelievable. Cruise’s character defeats people by cold-bloodedly shooting them; he’s essentially a coward. Jamie Fox’s character has shown he can defeat people through intelligence and sheer nerve, which makes him the bigger man to my eyes, and having him win a gunfight seems to almost bring him down to the level of Cruise’s sociopath.

re: Collateral:

The ending isn't really a 'running gun battle'. At the actual climax they are both simply firing blind. Part of the film is the concept of circumstances; luck; whatever you want to call it. It fits in perfectly with the philosophical bullshit Tom Cruise's character uses for his own ends. He dies by the nonsense he has been spouting, which is ironic.

I also think it would be weird for Max to pick up more clients as well. Like above it is 'fate' that leads him to first pick up her and then Vincent straight afterwards. He initially ignores the fare because he's daydreaming and obviously that introduction scene shows that Vincent has been scoping out the law offices of his last job, i.e. he has already scouted out all the other targets.

Reading back the two replies to my post has made me realise that both of you may have missed the subtlety of the train bit. What actually happens is

Both characters turn to face each other and fire their weapons simultaneously as the doors close. The fully trained, calm and controlled Cruise character fires two to the chest and one to the head, however, these shots are blocked by the metal frame of the closing doors. Jamie Fox's character is panicking and shooting wildly, and one bullet gets through the window due to his lacklustre aim

I understand K's point about at the character motivation, but it doesnt bother me because the last scene is a 'whatever it takes' act of a guy who is no longer afraid. The only reason he wins though is that Cruise is TOO efficient, which is really nice.

These are from listopia. Different endings. The top one is mine, the rest aren't:

Titanic - During the infamous "I'm flying" part, Winslet loses her footing and falls headfirst into the ocean. The remaining hour and a half shows her being ground up repeatedly in the gears of the ship.

Brief Encounter - He fucks her in the waiting room, splurts all over her face, sticks her knickers in his attache case, says 'Nice one' and fucks off.

Home Alone - The intruders finally corner the boy in the cellar and subject him to a lengthy and appalling sexual assault which leaves him unable to function in society ever again, or make the sequels.

Sam presents Frodo with an invoice for a year's unpaid wages. When Frodo can't pay, the bailiffs evict him from Bag End and he flees by ship. Sam moves in and just wanders around smirking and touching things.

Shawshank Redemption - Andy follows Reds' orders and heads to the field in Buxton. He digs under 'the tree that has no place being there' and finds a small metal box. It contains a small note saying, "I cant believe you fell for this you CUNT"

Jaws - Schneider misses, the shark inhales all the oxygen, grows wings and repeatedly swoops over Amity Island like an owl picking children up in it's fins and dropping them on their heads from 1200 feet.

Brad Pitt's character laughs, smiles and says "You saved the best bit!". Then proceeds to place Gwyneth Paltrow's head on his penis to climax. Morgan Freeman shyly asks if he can have seconds.

Bradd Pitt and Edward Norton stare at each other, realising in their shock that not only are they the same person but that that person is in fact Steven Seagal, who guns them both down.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark - upon opening the Ark, it turns out the spirits within are horny as fuck, and thus commences the biggest supernatural Nazi bukkake orgy you've ever bloody seen. Indy has to settle for a handjob off Pat Roach after.

Charlie's Angels - They lez up

Jurassic Park - loads of big dinosaurs and that escape from their cages and instead of running amok and eating people, they just meander about, sniffing each others poo and that before sleeping for a bit

Toy Story 2 - Andy reconstructs the reason his dad isnt around anymore using Buzz Lightyear as his dad, the other toys as his dads mates and an old bath sponge as himself.

2001: A Space Odyssey - After the psychedelic bit, to the horror and confusion of everybody on Earth, the space-baby unfurls its massive glowing celestial cock and starts grinding it into the surface of the planet.

Lost in Translation - Unwilling to return home to his miserable wife, Murray catches Johansson and fucks her in the street, surrounded by Salarymen all filming it on their cellphones, while whispering words like "cunt" and "shitter" in her earhole.

I am not Spartacus! He's that cunt over there with the giant bum-chin, and an ego to match.

The Wizard of Oz - Dorothy wakes realising the twister has carried her hundreds of feet into the air. She gasps: "It was a dream." Before plummeting to earth impaling her head on a fence post. Toto trots up and nibbles on Dorothy's dangling eyeball.

Groundhog Day - Phil rapes Rita every day for all eternity, safe in the knowledge that, whatever happens, he'll wake up the following day in his hotel bed, she'll be none the wiser and he can do the whole thing again in an even more degrading way.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - McMurphy, freshly lobotomised, is presented to that big Indian fella as a fuck-kitten. And boy, let me tell you, that Indian fella dont fuck around, my eyes were watering.

The Green Mile - They let the big black fella out to cure the governors wifes mentalism and he kills them all and runs havoc raping farm animals

Bridget Jones's Diary - Colin Firth twats Renee Zelwegger with a plank

Blair Witch Project - the kids get out their GPS device and walk straight to the nearest town, glad that science and technology actually works, whereas witchcraft and ghosts are a crock of horseshit.

Requiem For A Dream - it turns out the last half of the film was a bad trip, and everyone learns to take mind-bending drugs in a more comfortable environment in future. Then they all organise a Skins party on Myspace.

It's a Wonderful Life - Despite Clarence's best efforts, George's confused state of mind leads him to grasp the angel by the hips and ram his naturally curved erection into his withered ringpiece, screaming "You like that God? Eh? You Fuck."

The Usual Suspects - The detective is confounded to discover a pool of Kevin Spacey's semen under his desk, having been distracted and misled the whole time he was wanking. Spacey hobbles down the street with a big wet spot spreading on his trousers.

Gone With The Wind - Rhett turns to Scarlett and delivers the immortal line, "Frankly my dear, I'm going to rape you in the head" before seizing the wench and brutally stuffing his engorged knob into her throat until she chokes on cock and vomit.

Rocky - Rocky Balboa takes a severe beating and is knocked out in the first round by Apollo Creed. He lapses into a coma and dies, Adrian kills herself, Mickey is run over, Paulie is murdered, Butkus starves to death and Apollo dies of cancer.

Watership Down - Bunch of rabbits ignore Fiver, because he's 'bloody weird'.They decide to scurry around and shag a lot instead.Next morning they're all butchered by heavy farm machinery.'Bright Eyes' replaced with 'Combine Harvester' by the Wurzels.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Frodo throws the ring into the volcano after only 20mins of walking and moaning, as opposed to 9 fucking hours of it.

Once Upon a Time in the West - When the Man sticks the harmonica in Frank's mouth, his last breaths wheeze out the first few bars of 'Love Me Do'.

The Matrix - Neo takes the blue pill, which turns out to be a laxative.

Finding Nemo- “Fish and chips? £2.60 please.”

Reading back the two replies to my post has made me realise that both of you may have missed the subtlety of the train bit. What actually happens is

Both characters turn to face each other and fire their weapons simultaneously as the doors close. The fully trained, calm and controlled Cruise character fires two to the chest and one to the head, however, these shots are blocked by the metal frame of the closing doors. Jamie Fox's character is panicking and shooting wildly, and one bullet gets through the window due to his lacklustre aim

No, I got that, hence why I said that Vincent dies on his own sword - it's chance that Max managed to actually shoot him given the circumstance. As I recall it the three bullets actually indent the metal on Max's side, showing how fortunate he has actually been.

I understand K's point about at the character motivation, but it doesnt bother me because the last scene is a 'whatever it takes' act of a guy who is no longer afraid. The only reason he wins though is that Cruise is TOO efficient, which is really nice.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember that at all. Maybe I forgot, maybe I just didn't notice at all first time round. Maybe you're just more observant than I am. Doesn't this mean that

Jamie Fox kills him by accident? That's even worse than I thought! You've completely ruined the film for me. I'm going to write to Michael Mann and slag you off.

Interesting thread. I'd thought of a couple but when I saw Lord Cookie's High Tension alteration I knew he'd nailed it. Such a daft plot twist that really damages the film to some degree. It makes no sense at all and actually destroys any credibility the film had built up.

Adding one - 28 Days Later - not the ending but...

Cut everything from the moment they meet the soldiers. What a way to fuck up a great opening 45 minutes, jettison your terrifying,fast paced psychopathic killers for dull, boring, out of control soldiers. And oh wow, they've not had sex for at least 28 days so need to rape the first two women they meet. Just ruined it for me.

Sideways - I enjoyed it but the scene that was unneeded was Giamatti stealing money from his mother. He was a decent guy, it wasn't needed and didn't appear to have any reference to anything that followed it. If it was meant to make you feel something about the character it just made me think "Why did he do that? It has no bearing on anything before or after"

Also, the last half hour of Minority Report is fucking stupid, and should have ended with the scene in the

Isn't the whole deal there that

the last 30mins or so is his post 'haloing' fantasy hence on the face of it, it seems like a perfect / dull holywood ending but in reality he's actually still in the clink. The clue comes when the guy who runs the halo storage facility (the organist) says something about them all being happy because all their dreams come true once the halo goes on. Quite a bleak ending if you take it that way

My choice change would have been for TRON: Legacy

Just as he goes for his 1st slo-mo lightcycle dive...

he realises mid-flight he actually has no idea what to do with his cycle stick, face plants into the gound and smashing his teeth into pixally bits

Interesting thread. I'd thought of a couple but when I saw Lord Cookie's High Tension alteration I knew he'd nailed it. Such a daft plot twist that really damages the film to some degree. It makes no sense at all and actually destroys any credibility the film had built up.Adding one - 28 Days Later - not the ending but...

Cut everything from the moment they meet the soldiers. What a way to fuck up a great opening 45 minutes, jettison your terrifying,fast paced psychopathic killers for dull, boring, out of control soldiers. And oh wow, they've not had sex for at least 28 days so need to rape the first two women they meet. Just ruined it for me.

"

Funnily enough both of these have been fan-edited down to pretty much what you are saying.

Find somewhere to download High Tension - Minus one edit and 27 days later and check them out. I have watched a few recently that were rather good, inc 27 days later (full on zombie infedtion film minus all the waffle), Jaws the sharksploitation edit (Jaws + missing scenes + Jaws 2 mixed with stock shark/whale footage.. I loved this) and Texas chainsaw 1 & 2 remakes edited in to one movie.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember that at all. Maybe I forgot, maybe I just didn't notice at all first time round. Maybe you're just more observant than I am. Doesn't this mean that

Jamie Fox kills him by accident? That's even worse than I thought! You've completely ruined the film for me. I'm going to write to Michael Mann and slag you off.

He actually partially looks away whilst firing, it's completely random panic fire.

Dark City

I'd remove the opening monologue as read by Kiefer Sutherland which pretty much gives the entire film's plot away during the first 60 seconds of the film. Finding out what The Strangers do rather than being told would've been far better, so much so that I mute the film (for the benefit of any new viewers) up until the point Kiefer looks at his watch at which point the film's gold, people don't need it spelled out for them before it begins.

As mentioned, the director's cut is exactly this. It's also the first and only version of the film I've seen, and I found it to be very creepy and mysterious.

If that’s true, then it’s subtle to the point of imperceptibility. I mean, it’s basically the ending to Total Recall again, although I’m not sure the film supports that interpretation with anything other than that throwaway comment earlier on in the film. And I’d be surprised if they nicked the ending from another Philip K Dick adaptation.

If that’s true, then it’s subtle to the point of imperceptibility. I mean, it’s basically the ending to Total Recall again, although I’m not sure the film supports that interpretation with anything other than that throwaway comment earlier on in the film. And I’d be surprised if they nicked the ending from another Philip K Dick adaptation.

I don't think there's ever been an official line that says one way or another so it's just an interpretation

I think the reason I'd go for the halo/fantasy ending over the literal one is that the literal one is all just a little too perfect. It's not so much that the comment from the organist is the clue it's all the individual elements of his life suddenly shifting from bad (drug dependancy, loss of his kid, relationship with wife) to really good (wife goes from hating him to rescuing him, he solves the crime, wife gets pregnant again) are the indicators and that cutover happens from the point he gets haloed. It's all down to interpretation so it could just be me willing the film to be a better one as much as anything

I need to watch the film again, but yeah, I don’t like that. I dislike coincidences and flukes in stories, so that ending really doesn’t do it for me.

Its not that at all though, its much more that Tom Cruise gets hoisted by his own retard. Its an ironic ending rather than a contrived one. Cruises skill, training and reflexes are the very thing that cause his downfall