IGNORED

The REAL unsung heroes of 2010 - What were they?

Let us measure

It's nice to see Shattered Memories getting some love finally. I went on about it to everyone when it was first released but it largely fell on deaf ears. I thought it was far superior to both Heavy Rain and Alan Wake (Although I did play Alan Wake straight after Shattered Memories so maybe I judged it a little harshly). I'm glad so many others have mentioned it here.

I'm going to choose Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. A great game that got sadly overlooked due to the Christmas rush. Sure, it's not the most beautiful game, but the interactions between Tepeu and the Majin are great. And it has some great puzzles - almost Zelda style in places.

I'd hazard a guess that Shattered Memories, despite the novel uses of the Wiimote, would have done better on the 360/PS3, or at least as a multiformat title. There's still an audience out there for Silent Hill, and they'll still buy a Silent Hill game if it gets good reviews/word of mouth and enough marketing to make them aware of it.

I'd agree with you there.. However, there are lots of folks who probably do own a Wii, like this kind of game, but chose to ignore it because of the console it was on. Which was a massive shame. Seek it out, you'll love it. Really, probably the best ending of a game I've ever experienced.

Yeah maybe I will!

I don't have a Wii lol

TIP: Nightmare #2 is the most frustrating part of the game... There's a reason for it, but, see it through. :)

Genuinely interested in your thoughts, it's a great game to talk about... It was subtly different for many people and it's not dumbed down by explaining everything to you either.

The only game that I can think of that gets anywhere near unsung hero for me is:

Toy story 3

The sandbox mode is the first and only gaming experience that my family has shared and that my wife and I have carried on playing after our daughter has gone to bed. It is full of charm and introduces someone to the world of 3d 3rd person gaming far better than any of its contemporaries.

My daughter's tears and then laughter when we first started playing and I knocked her over, hit her with a few balls and then picked her up and threw her across the street. Climbing to the top of a building and throwing balls at her was far greater motivation for her to learn how to move properly and control a character in a 3d world then any attempts with mario previously.

The fun of her flying an army man into a well and getting an award for it.

Yes, some of the tasks were fiddly and broken at times, the races were way too hard and having to do the campaign level to get to the toy box was a pain, but nothing beats it for experiencing playing in a toy box; not just any toy box but the toy story toy box.

Damn, I really wish I'd written that post. I enjoyed a similar experience with my son. He absolutely loved just messing about, we'd sit there for ages just throwing balls at each other, he'd pick me up and chuck me in the water, or do the same with other characters. On the fairytale stage he decided he was going to barge Lotso into the drink, too.

We've both had hours of fun with it, and it's a shame it was dismissed as just another kids' licensed game, because it really, really wasn't. Like you say, certain elements are too tough for kids (heck, some of the races were too tough for me) but it's a great bit of knockabout sandbox fun. I've often wondered what a non-violent open world game would be like, and this isn't a million miles away from that thought.

I'd hazard a guess that Shattered Memories, despite the novel uses of the Wiimote, would have done better on the 360/PS3

Maybe, maybe not. Didn't the PS3/360 Shattered Hill title released at almost exactly the same time sell even less though?

Homecoming came out a year before Shattered Memories, and it's hard to say. None of the sales are tracked very well - if you look at vgchartz (lol) homecoming is about 500k and SM is about 600k, but that doesn't include any sales of the PC version of homecoming at retail or on Steam. Besides, you cut off the second half of my comment where I said it would depend on good reviews, good word of mouth and enough marketing to make it visible. Which Homecoming didn't really have because it was crap.

BLUR

Not sure if it was exactly unsung on here (the thread is still going!) but criminally overlooked by the world at large. My favourite and most-played game of 2010 by a country mile, its fast and extremely furious. Single-player may be too difficult for some (pah!) but the multiplayer is a guaranteed riot of fun every time. Every single time. It's super-cheap now, even HMV are flogging it for less than £20. Give it a go - play it for fun, not to win, and you will have an absolute blast (and eventually win too).

Bizarre Creations produced a masterpiece and no fucker played it and now look at them :(

BLUR :wub:

See? Fast and extremely furious!

Homecoming came out a year before Shattered Memories, and it's hard to say. None of the sales are tracked very well - if you look at vgchartz (lol) homecoming is about 500k and SM is about 600k, but that doesn't include any sales of the PC version of homecoming at retail or on Steam. Besides, you cut off the second half of my comment where I said it would depend on good reviews, good word of mouth and enough marketing to make it visible. Which Homecoming didn't really have because it was crap.

To be honest, one of the best things about Shattered Memories is how it's built entirely around the Wii's abilities. The torch is beautifully done (and couldn't be done on Kinect) and the microphone stuff couldn't be done on either.

To be honest, one of the best things about Shattered Memories is how it's built entirely around the Wii's abilities. The torch is beautifully done (and couldn't be done on Kinect) and the microphone stuff couldn't be done on either.

Isn't there a PSP and PS2 version as well though?

I'm just playing through Psychonauts for the first time ever. Is 999 comparable to the 'storybook' style gameplay seen in that game and Snatcher. Because if so, I'm there. I stayed away from Hotel Dusk as it's meant to be frustrating so if 999 does it right it's a must-buy for me.

Ummm, 999 to Psychonauts is as Bob Hoskins is to Tintin, nothing at all alike, just in case anybody was still wondering this.

For me it would be Singularity, Deadly Premonition and Yakuza 3. Raven (along with Monolith) continue to show other FPS developers how to make combat that's satisfying with wonderfully meaty weapons, pity Activision's essentially fucked them. Deadly Premonition is such a unique game and I can't think of anything else like it, despite being incredibly low budget I wouldn't change a damn thing about it. I do adore Yakuza 3, it's a series that continues to get ignored and it was one of the best RPGs of last year. A brawler RPG, I wish we had more of those. Roll on Yakuza 4 in just under 2 months time! :omg:

My unsung heroes would be metro 2033 and singularity, for keeping the single player focused FPS alive whilst all and sundry try to rip off COD and churn out dull multiplayer focused efforts. This year we have homefront, Crysis 2 and portal 2 to look forward to, hopefully they all have good singleplayer components.

And of course, this year we have 'that' announcement at E3, but only if we keep beli3ving.