Jump to content
IGNORED

Kindle shop Recommendations


choddo
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Premonitions bureau, shown above is £1.29 today. I read it earlier in the year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s the true story of the formation of a network of psychics to predict forthcoming disasters. Amongst all the absolute nonsense and people who clearly were making it up were several people who inexplicably were able to predict disasters with uncanny accuracy. Recommended 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got 100 Years of Solitude for £5. I don’t think it’s on sale but it’s a good price and apparently a good book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Birds-Wolves-Secret-That-ebook/dp/B07L998M8X

 

A game of birds and wolves by Simon Parkin down to £3. Blurb - In a riveting, intricately researched book, Simon Parkin tells the previously unknown story behind the Allied victory in the Atlantic during World War II. It's an underdog's tale - not only of British supply fleets trying to outrun German U-boats, but also of the women game designers who made that victory possible.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I picked up a Signature edition and cover in Prime Day, and took on the Unlimited trial. What's the consensus here - is Kindle Unlimited really worth it? So far I haven't found much I'd want, except maybe as a way to get magazine subs (and viewing those on a Kindle is not the way to go).

 

The book selection seem to be random tat.

 

Good shout on the Ghormenghast - I also recommend the Robin Hobb on sale, if you haven't picked her stuff up before:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Apprentice-Farseer-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B005JE1K9M/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2022 at 08:26, DC said:

I just got 100 Years of Solitude for £5. I don’t think it’s on sale but it’s a good price and apparently a good book.


It’s not just a good book. It’s arguably the best novel that has ever been written.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ZOK said:


It’s not just a good book. It’s arguably the best novel that has ever been written.

Had to buy it based on that recommendation. I've never heard of it, don't know what it's about, but I look forward to reading it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, smac said:

So I picked up a Signature edition and cover in Prime Day, and took on the Unlimited trial. What's the consensus here - is Kindle Unlimited really worth it? So far I haven't found much I'd want, except maybe as a way to get magazine subs (and viewing those on a Kindle is not the way to go).

 

The book selection seem to be random tat.

 

Good shout on the Ghormenghast - I also recommend the Robin Hobb on sale, if you haven't picked her stuff up before:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Apprentice-Farseer-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B005JE1K9M/

If you have an iPad or android equivalent you can get the magazines on that.   I tend to equate the novels on unlimited to the 3 for 2 you used to get in garden centres.  Perfectly serviceable but nothing amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, smac said:

So I picked up a Signature edition and cover in Prime Day, and took on the Unlimited trial. What's the consensus here - is Kindle Unlimited really worth it? So far I haven't found much I'd want, except maybe as a way to get magazine subs (and viewing those on a Kindle is not the way to go).

 

The book selection seem to be random tat.

 

Good shout on the Ghormenghast - I also recommend the Robin Hobb on sale, if you haven't picked her stuff up before:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Apprentice-Farseer-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B005JE1K9M/

I don't bother with it. I'll read 40 books or so a year and will pick up at least 60-70 through sales etc, so it's not like I'm ever going to run out of books I've actively chosen to pick up. There is stuff on Unlimited that I would like to read but there are other books I'm more interested in reading - ultimately its a time issue. Same with Audible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sane said:

Had to buy it based on that recommendation. I've never heard of it, don't know what it's about, but I look forward to reading it. 


Hope you enjoy it. Worth remembering on your first read through (because you will read it many times!) that you don’t really need to understand who is who, or what’s happening, just luxuriate in the writing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Louis Theroux’s “Theroux The Keyhole”  is 99p today. I’ve just finished reading it as I was bought it back in December. It’s basically his lockdown diaries and I thought it was a lot better than his autobiography. Pretty honest about his parental failings, putting his job before his family and how alcohol helped him through lockdown. 
 

This week’s Adam Buxton has Louis on and he talks all about this book. 
 

For a bit of light reading Cormac McCarthy’s The Road is 99p too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ooh, Spook Country. I have I missed a bargain offer for Pattern Recognition, or is this the first of the Blue Ant trilogy that has been on offer?

 

Last time I read it, it felt like an odd book, a group of interesting characters in search of a plot, which they eventually got in Zero History. Looking forward to revisiting it, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Talvalin said:

PSA: The Last Astronaut is a truly awful book that should be avoided at all costs.

Shit, I just bought it :lol:

 

Edit: too bad, it sounded quite OK, I'm just a sucker for this kind of thing. What's so bad about it? 

 

And any recommendations for something similar but better? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sane said:

Shit, I just bought it :lol:

 

Edit: too bad, it sounded quite OK, I'm just a sucker for this kind of thing. What's so bad about it? 

 

And any recommendations for something similar but better? 

 

Really bad science, the titular character getting fucked over and questioned about her decision making when she made the right choice on her previous mission, some incredibly dubious science, characters doing incredibly dumb things Prometheus-style etc etc etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.