Kindle shop Recommendations

On 02/12/2020 at 13:28, Flub said:

I really enjoyed Cage of Souls.

Likewise. I know that a lot of is have read Children of Time - I thought Cage of Souls was better. Incredibly inventive and, despite being a long book, moves at a decent pace.

Probably not what you're looking for at all, but Alan Moore's hefty Jerusalem novel has a whole chapter from the point of view of James Joyce's daughter Lucia, while she was in a mental hospital in Northampton in the mid-late 20th century.  Unfortunately she's quite insane, and to reflect this the chapter is written in a pastiche of Joyce's style, and is quite a challenging read.

I thought Ulysses was unbearable, so that doesn't suggest I'd enjoy it. Unless "pastiche" means "similar except good". 

I think I'm looking for something where the asylum experience is the whole book? I've recently read the history of one particular building, and want more of an idea about what life was like for the people in the building.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 08:38, Ste Pickford said:

Probably not what you're looking for at all, but Alan Moore's hefty Jerusalem novel has a whole chapter from the point of view of James Joyce's daughter Lucia, while she was in a mental hospital in Northampton in the mid-late 20th century.  Unfortunately she's quite insane, and to reflect this the chapter is written in a pastiche of Joyce's style, and is quite a challenging read.

How is that book overall? I have the audiobook ready to go but I've been put off by hearing it has a quite ridiculous number of characters. Does it even have a narrative you can follow along?

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Slim SF pickings in that list but you can get the essential I, Robot for 99p, a bargain for the ages.

The dark Eden books in the deal  are excellent.  They are a trilogy and of course only two and three are in the sale, the first being £3.50 ish but they are all well worth it.   Its about the ancestors of a group of astronauts who crash landed on a very alien planet.  I've read them through twice. 

42 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ll give those a look then, cheers!

Have you bought Cage of Souls by Adrian Tchaikovsky yet? 99p in this month’s offers (see a few posts above). 

I’m about a quarter of the way through so far and it’s excellent. Well worth a purchase. 

On 24/12/2020 at 13:41, Stopharage said:

Have you bought Cage of Souls by Adrian Tchaikovsky yet? 99p in this month’s offers (see a few posts above). 

I’m about a quarter of the way through so far and it’s excellent. Well worth a purchase. 

No I’ve not, for some reason I find myself put off by the author’s name! :lol: