Kindle shop Recommendations

8 hours ago, idiwa said:

I don't think I've ever seen that reduced in price. I bought it years ago as @ZOK was always banging on about it. I didn't really think it was that great. I mean it was ok but not like OMG!!! :omg: horses for courses and all that. 

Not me I’m afraid, I’ve never read it!

Maybe you’re thinking of Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling? I might have mentioned that book once or twice in this thread before.

48 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Ack, sorry @ZOK was sure it was you. 

Haha, I’ve recommended many books people should hate so it was a fair chance! :lol:

Speaking of which, I finally polished off The Border Trilogy today, just wonderful, mesmerising, transcendent stuff. I’m not sure who recco’d it in here but I also definitely got into it through people talking about Blood Meridian and @Stopharage linking to that in the Kindle cheapies, so a tip of the hat to you all. I’ve read so much McCarthy this year, it’s like getting into Raymond Chandler, you don’t want to read anything else.

• Upvote 1
On 26/07/2020 at 09:10, Boothjan said:

Thanks for that - I'll add The Man in the High Castle to my long pile of shame.

The only Phillip K.Dick I didn't enjoy. He's probably my favourite author but I just found that one so boring, and don't understand its popularity.

Lots would disagree though!

It's still on last months. (Although Good Omens is there). Looks like they might have changed the date they change those titles. I've been doing the same. Trying to get a full set on the cheap.

In case you missed it @Darren  Monstrous Regiment was the 1.99 last month and it still is currently.

• Upvote 2

I think they updated around July 11th (at least that's when I bought Monstrous Regiment), so just keep checking. It should update in due course.

Due to the stupid way in which Amazon lists the various Discworld novels, there's no easy way of seeing which ones I already own (unlike other series, like say The Expanse novels) which is mildly irritating, but I'm on the same quest. I own pretty much all of them in paperback but as they're in another country and also the vast majority are amazing, I'm happy to throw a relatively small amount of cash at the Pratchett estate to own Kindle editions. :) 

The scary thing is how many of those books I try to buy only to notice “You already own this item. You bought it on ...”

I’m sure I’ve read a good number of them too and completely forgotten.

• Upvote 8

Not just me then. That makes me feel marginally better, but at the same time I need to get on those damn books.

First world problems I know, but I love books, films and gaming equally, but almost always spend my free time at home just doing one of those things (and if we're being honest here, it's mostly gaming). I always used to read when commuting to work, but that's not a thing right now and even then for the past few years I've been only a short bus ride from work so my commute read has been practically non-existent for about five years now. 

I guess I need to try and divide up my time between the three things, but that just feels like work so more often than not I just end up pissing more time away on the Bone. Ugh. :(

Of the big list posted by @Stopharage (which is brilliant by the way.... thank you for doing this every month!), my recommendations would be the Dark Eden books (first and third were great l, middle one a bit so-so but love the premise) and the Alexander Hamilton biography, particularly if you’ve watched the musical on Disney+ recently and want to learn more about this remarkable person.  

• Upvote 1

I've just finished Christopher Ecclestone's autobiography and it's one of the bravest, most emotional books I have ever read. 

I only started reading it yesterday but it's so, so good. For a quid, it's an absolutely essential purchase.

• Upvote 2
On 05/08/2020 at 22:44, Boothjan said:

I've just finished Christopher Ecclestone's autobiography and it's one of the bravest, most emotional books I have ever read. 

I only started reading it yesterday but it's so, so good. For a quid, it's an absolutely essential purchase.

Fantastic. I just grabbed this for myself. I read a piece in The Guardian about him (promoting the autobiography) last year and it sounded fascinating but also very brave/ raw. I'm looking forward (if thats the right word) to reading it.

Thanks @Boothjan and @Stopharage for highlighting this.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bitcoin Billionaires is the follow-up to the book that the film The Social Network is based on. It's about what the twins did with their Facebook money. I know less than nothing about bitcoin and I thought it was a great read. Definitely worth 99p. 

• Upvote 2