Kindle shop Recommendations

7 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Thanks. Bought, read and enjoyed. Did you like the others in the series?

Very much, although the first had the biggest impact on me by far. They don't follow the same characters, it's interesting.

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

The Power 99p today - I thought it was great. Also The Marshmallow Test on offer, which I found fascinating.

I spent a minute trying to buy The Power but couldn’t see the buy button. Then I noticed I’d bought it over two years ago. That’s the problem with ebooks - I end up with so many that I forget what I’ve got. I have a suspicion I’ve got a paperback copy too. :facepalm:

On 11/06/2020 at 23:24, Monkeyspill said:

I spent a minute trying to buy The Power but couldn’t see the buy button. Then I noticed I’d bought it over two years ago. That’s the problem with ebooks - I end up with so many that I forget what I’ve got. I have a suspicion I’ve got a paperback copy too. :facepalm:

Now go and stand in some dog shite. You know you wanna. 

• 2 weeks later...

Robopocalypse is utter drek, almost entirely US-centric with a side story set in Japan featuring some horrific Japanese stereotypes. Avoid like the plague.

Robopocalypse is possibly the worst science fiction book I have ever read. It tries, and fails, to be World War Z with machines. It is like that episode of Family Guy where Peter writes erotic fiction, but with killer robots instead of sex. Everyone should enjoy it if they get the chance.

The Aquariums of Pyongyang is very good, although if you are looking for books on North Korea then The Girl with Seven Names also worth a read and is free to Prime users, and the excellent Nothing to Envy is regularly on sale.

Flowers for Algernon is also in this sale, and is highly recommended.

45 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I bought that for £1.99 on June 1st, so have they just forgotten to update this month's Pratchett book? :(

Good point. I forgot that was last month's. I'll have a nose around later

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

Good point. I forgot that was last month's. I'll have a nose around later

:hug:

That wasn't meant to be a complaint btw. I had a look earlier today and thought "Hang on, don't I already have that?". When I checked, the date was June 1st, but no other Discworld book seemed to be at £1.99, so I think Amazon have screwed up. 

1 minute ago, Talvalin said:

:hug:

That wasn't meant to be a complaint btw. I had a look earlier today and thought "Hang on, don't I already have that?". When I checked, the date was June 1st, but no other Discworld book seemed to be at £1.99, so I think Amazon have screwed up. 

They do tend to sometimes roll out sales late. Often the daily deals page doesn't update for hours after midnight. Someone probs forgot, I bought Going Postal in 2019  so I didn't realise :)

On 01/07/2020 at 09:55, grungekid said:

I'm looking for a good ghost story style book in the vein of The Conjuring or Insidious. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dark matter by Michelle Paver, Also Wakenhyrst by the same author. Both are excellent.

Heart shaped box by Joe Hill (Stephen Kings son FWIW)

The silent companions by Laura Purcell is brilliant.

all are excellent ghost stories though perhaps not perfectly similar to the conjuring or insidious .

2 hours ago, little che said:

Dark matter by Michelle Paver, Also Wakenhyrst by the same author. Both are excellent.

Heart shaped box by Joe Hill (Stephen Kings son FWIW)

The silent companions by Laura Purcell is brilliant.

all are excellent ghost stories though perhaps not perfectly similar to the conjuring or insidious .

Will give them a whirl. Thank you!

On 22/07/2020 at 18:50, Boothjan said:

Leviathan Wakes is 99p today. I adored that book.

I don't think I've ever seen that reduced in price. I bought it years ago as @ZOK was always banging on about it. I didn't really think it was that great. I mean it was ok but not like OMG!!! :omg: horses for courses and all that.