rllmuk
choddo

Kindle shop Recommendations

Ooh, I want to read that myself, cheers!

On the Beach by Nevil Shute is on offer at 99p. A classic end-of-the-world novel from the 1950s when the threat of nuclear war was new, terrifying, and seemed likely. Very well written, if you can handle the dark subject matter and misogyny of that would suit the Connery-era James Bond. Certainly a very different take to the wastelands and roving marauders from other works of fiction and worth a read if this genre floats your boat.

Blurb from the back cover:

After the war is over, a radioactive cloud begins to sweep southwards on the winds, gradually poisoning everything in its path. An American submarine captain is among the survivors left sheltering in Australia, preparing with the locals for the inevitable. Despite his memories of his wife, he becomes close to a young woman struggling to accept the harsh realities of their situation. Then a faint Morse code signal is picked up, transmitting from the United States and the submarine must set sail through the bleak ocean to search for signs of life.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BossSaru said:

On the Beach by Nevil Shute is on offer at 99p. A classic end-of-the-world novel from the 1950s when the threat of nuclear war was new, terrifying, and seemed likely. Very well written, if you can handle the dark subject matter and misogyny of that would suit the Connery-era James Bond. Certainly a very different take to the wastelands and roving marauders from other works of fiction and worth a read if this genre floats your boat.

I've been wanting to read this for years and just never gotten around to it. Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Funnily enough, I'm reading this at the moment. It really isn't what I thought it would be. It's quite slow, but not in a dull, meandering way. Rather, it describes parts of daily life that initially seem totally normal until some element of adaptation is mentioned. I always thought it was about being dealing with the aftermath of a nuclear war but it's a bit more distanced than that. Also.for a book that is over 6o years old, the writing is quite modern in style; it doesn't feel particularly dated at all. About half way through and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The writing is strong enough to get you to forget that the mundanity of their lives is tainted by the ominous after-effects of war. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Funnily enough, I'm reading this at the moment. It really isn't what I thought it would be. It's quite slow, but not in a dull, meandering way. Rather, it describes parts of daily life that initially seem totally normal until some element of adaptation is mentioned. I always thought it was about being dealing with the aftermath of a nuclear war but it's a bit more distanced than that. Also.for a book that is over 6o years old, the writing is quite modern in style; it doesn't feel particularly dated at all. About half way through and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The writing is strong enough to get you to forget that the mundanity of their lives is tainted by the ominous after-effects of war. 

I always thought it was more about waiting for it to happen, knowing that it was about to hit... not in a Threads way...

12 minutes ago, idiwa said:

I always thought it was more about waiting for it to happen, knowing that it was about to hit... not in a Threads way...

It’s weird in that it’s a bit of both of those things. I mean, I don’t want to say too much as you’ve not read it yet. I think your thinking is in line with mine prior to reading it. 

There are periods in the books where you forget the underlying tension and existential threat for pages. Then something is dropped into the prose that reminds you what the book is about. The sudden bluntness and shattering of the mundane is really effective. 

Never Let Me Go on offer today.

I impulse bought The 1,000-year-old Boy - thought it might be something to try reading to my daughter when we're done with Harry Potter.

• Upvote 1

The Age of Football: The Global Game in the Twenty-First Century by David Goldblatt is 99p. 

This is an absolute steal if you're vaguely interested in football. This is a wonderfully researched and well written account of the pervasive nature of football on our lives and its impact across cultures. This bit from Amazon gives you a feel for what it's about:-

"In The Age of Football, David Goldblatt charts football’s global cultural ascent, its economic transformation and deep politicization, taking in prison football in Uganda and amputee football in Angola, the role of football fans in the Arab Spring, the footballing presidencies of Bolivia’s Evo Morales and Turkey’s Recep Erdogan, China’s declared intention to both host and win the World Cup by 2050, and the FIFA corruption scandal."

I'm half way through it now and it's been superb. Can't recommend this enough. Going to pop this in the football thread too. 

• Upvote 4