Kindle shop Recommendations

I got 

A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. LeGuin

Dark Eden - Chris Beckett

American War - Omar El Akkad

Black and British - David Olusoga

• Upvote 1

On 01/01/2020 at 06:43, Stopharage said:

84K by Claire North - 99p. Although I have reservations about this book (the writing is quite awkward, it's a pretty dark, unrelenting dystopian vision of the UK etc.) it's well worth reading. 84k relates to the cost to pay off a crime that has been committed, it's an intriguing (and somewhat believable) premise. 

Anyone else read this? I’m about 15% in and I can’t help feeling I’m reading something a little sub par writing and ideas wise, as readable as it is.

I guess I’m coming to it off the back of Blood Meridian which most things might seem thin in immediate comparison with, but I wonder if I should stick with it. It all seems a bit on the nose.

I think the criticism is fair. Think the best way to describe it was that I found it quite an awkward book. I liked the unrelenting grimness and real world portent. North is quite an interesting modern writer, she has a pretty diverse ouevre. From what I’ve read of her work, she has some really interesting ideas but doesn’t have the talent to quite squeeze all the goodness out of them. 

The first book in KJ Parker's Engineer trilogy, Devices and Desires is on sale for 99p. It's my favourite of his trilogies to date and I highly recommend it to people who prefer their fantasy to be realistic and without magic (also if you like reading about field artillery, such as scorpio(n)s)

Devices and Desires - 99p

• Upvote 2

Ha, came here to see if anyone thought this was good. Cheers! 

How's about the Lancelot one also 99p today? 

7 hours ago, Stopharage said:

The Wall by John Lanchester is £1.25 today only. In a not too distant future the UK has a wall around it to keep outsiders out. As the sea levels rise, more are desperate to get in and so, people must man the wall to protect the UK. IT was a relatively plausible concept and I really enjoyed it.

I recently finished this.  Also very much enjoyed it and I would highly recommend it. 

• Upvote 1

Just a note that if you enjoy fantasy, then Sabriel is well worth a punt. The trilogy did diminish over time and I wasn't entirely convinced by the final book (Abhorsen) but for 99p, you can't go wrong.

• Upvote 3

Excellent. In about two years I'll own the lot for only 2 quid a piece. Not a complaint so much as wanting them to go on sale faster!

EDIT: I also wish that Amazon would show all of the Discworld books as a series, so I could easily see which ones I own right now. I mean, the titles show them as "<Name> (Discworld Novel #)" so what's the problem Amazon? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Today's deal of the day is I am Legend.

It is significantly better than the movie.

Cheers, I'm always up for a bit of classic Sci-Fi. I did have pause before buying it, as I can't be 100% sure I haven't already read it, but hey that's one small side benefit of getting older, you can re-enjoy all the stuff you have forgotten!

• Upvote 1

Just noticed a few bargains:

The Craft series by Max Gladstone - £7.70 (five books in the series, which works out at around £1.50 a book and well worth it. All of the books range from good to excellent, and are set in a world that mixes science and magic in a deft way)

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth - 99p

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sachs - 99p

• Upvote 2