rllmuk
choddo

Kindle shop Recommendations

Also saw that Leviathan Wakes is 99p at the mo. Not read any of the Expanse books yet so thought I'd give them a try.

Snapped that up with a couple of others linked above - thanks @Stopharage for the heads up.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I'd be amazed if you didn't like it, I recommend it all the time and everyone who has read it has raved about it. It's magnificent. 

I bough this the  last time you recommended it and, yes, it is a fantastic book. Two incredible stories very well told..

Thanks for the heads up!

• Upvote 1

I preferred the first half of The Twelve to The Passage. They made a televised version of The Passage and whilst it was a bit b-movie and budget in places they did a pretty good job of translating it to the screen. Interested to see how they’ll translate The Twelve to television. 

I prefered The Twelve to The Passage, it's a hell of a lot darker to the first book. The final book (City of Mirrors) is just shite... a dragging shite to boot. 

17 minutes ago, milko said:

Twitter's Regular Frog's The Life And Death Of Schneider Wrack is 99p today too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Life-Schneider-Wrack-ebook/dp/B072FBLH1W/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's good fun, in an occasionally-nauseating salty sea zombie yarn kind of way. 

I thought that sounded familiar - it's 'The Sea Hates A Coward' (which I've read) and 'Grand Amazon' (which I haven't, yet) put together into one book, instead of as separate short stories.

Just a warning, in the unlikely event anyone else has bought one or both previously.

The first Witcher book seems to be 0.99p as well.

I also picked up the fourth volume in Peter Ackroyd's history of England series, titled "Revolution", if you're into that sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Parksey said:

The first Witcher book seems to be 0.99p as well.

I also picked up the fourth volume in Peter Ackroyd's history of England series, titled "Revolution", if you're into that sort of thing. 

Nice one cheers, have a hard copy but picked this up for a quick refresher for the Netflix series.

Eleanor Oliphant and Evelyn Hardcastle are two of the books I enjoyed most this year. And two genres I wouldn't have even have thought to try ordinarily, which I suppose is slightly damning of my narrow mindedness!

On 01/12/2019 at 08:08, Stopharage said:

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - 99p. If you haven't read this, you have to. Pretty grim in places, beautifully written throughout but a must read. 

Just reading this now, a wonderful book and a steal at the 99p it cost, cheers again!

On 01/12/2019 at 21:23, Kzo said:

Thanks, bought Perdido Street Station, been on the list for a while and haven't read anything by the author.

Oh man. It's a LOT!

• Upvote 1

Just a note to say that Flowers for Algernon is a bona-fide classic and anyone with an even passing interest should pick it up. 99p is an absolute steal, and I'm tempted to buy it (even though I own a physical copy in the UK somewhere) just so I can read it again.

Another year, another list of cheap Kindle offerings to bring love, laughter and perspective to these troubled times. It's a pretty weak offering IMHO; presumably, Amazon were fully aware of my reading backlog and so offered nothing that I'd need to purchase. You can see, I'm clutching at straws with a few of these. However, Wolf Hall is Deal of the Day at 99p. Happy reading, folks and Happy New Year!

American War by Omar El Akkad 99p Fully recommend this. "A dystopian future: a second American Civil War, a devastating plague and one family caught deep in the middle. In American War, we’re asked to consider what might happen if America were to turn its most devastating policies and deadly weapons against itself." Read this a couple of years ago and was suitably impressed, entertained and engrossed. 

84K by Claire North - 99p. Although I have reservations about this book (the writing is quite awkward, it's a pretty dark, unrelenting dystopian vision of the UK etc.) it's well worth reading. 84k relates to the cost to pay off a crime that has been committed, it's an intriguing (and somewhat believable) premise. 

Wilt bt Tom Sharpe 99p.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy - 99p

Contact by Carl Sagan 99p

Black and British: A Forgotten History by David Olusoga 99p

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - 99p

Half A King by Joe Abercrombie - £1.99

Anathem by Neal Stephenson - £1.99

His Bloody Project by Graeme Mcrae Burnet - 99p

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein - £1.99

Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart - 99p

The Looting Machine: Warlords, Tycoons, Smugglers and the Systematic Theft of Africa's Wealth by Tom Burgis 99p

The real story of the Peaky Blinders - £1.49

The Reddening by Adam Nevill - 99p

Recursion by Blake Crouch - 99p

• Upvote 8

Well, so much for my New Year's Resolution to buy less books. I just bought 5 from this list and then also Packenham's The Scramble for Africa to go with The Looting Machine. 

Cheers @Stopharage but also argh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Well, so much for my New Year's Resolution to buy less books. I just bought 5 from this list and then also Packenham's The Scramble for Africa to go with The Looting Machine. 

Cheers @Stopharage but also argh.

Which 5 did you go for? I'd already read 6 of them on there and in 2 minds about a few of them. 

12 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Which 5 did you go for? I'd already read 6 of them on there and in 2 minds about a few of them. 

The God of Small Things

Anathem

Black and British

Contact

The Looting Machine