rllmuk
choddo

Kindle shop Recommendations

The rather wonderful The Goldfinch by Donna Tarrt is 99p today. Be warned it’s pretty long at 800+ pages but it was one of those books that I just never wanted to end. The writing is superb, characters fully realised and the plot was engaging throughout. Won the Pulitzer for fiction in 2014 and it’s up there with the best modern literature. 

Presumably cheap as the film version comes out next week. 

• Upvote 6

My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite is £1.19 today. Quite a few of us have read it on here and general consensus seems to be that it’s an engaging read. My thoughts on it from the Just Read thread:-

“The title gives little away beyond the fact this a crime novel; this is a story of two sisters, one who has killed and the other who has had some knowledge and involvement in these crimes. Set in Lagos, the novel gives a humorous insight into Nigerian life and the role of class. It's not a page-turner or a conventional crime novel; but the characterisation is well done and the plot plods along relatively well. I wasn't blown away by it but I did devour it all in a morning so it certainly has charm and was an enjoyable read.”

Excellent. That first one has been on my wish list for a while.

Similar views on The Girl With All the Gifts: great start, then goes badly downhill. Not sure how enthusiastically I'd recommend it overall. 

I find the idea that Isabel Hardman has ideas on politics worth reading that could fill out a whole page, much less a whole book, quite hilarious.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, ZOK said:

I find the idea that Isabel Hardman has ideas on politics worth reading that could fill out a whole page, much less a whole book, quite hilarious.

As of March 2018, Hardman is in a relationship with John Woodcock, the Member of Parliament for Barrow and Furness, who currently sits as an independent MP, having resigned from the Labour Party amid an investigation into claims of sexual harassment.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabel_Hardman#Personal_life

I'm not sure that I trust Hardman's view on who the right politicians are.

There seems to be an Autumn Kindle Sale on now.

A few books that may be of interest:-

Jay Rayner - Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights a collection of his most disparaging resataurant reviews. Only 75 pages - £2.59

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner - 99p. Loved this as a kid, wonderful fantasy book. 

This is Not Propaganda:Adventures In The War Against Reality.  by Peter Pomerantsev - £3.89.

Peter Hook: The Hacienda: How Not To Run a Club - 99p. 

Autonomous by Annalee Newitz.  99p

Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher. 99p

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. 99p

The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science by Richard Holmes £1.49

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon is £1.99. Really enjoyed this when I read it some years back. 

Europe in Autumn by Dave Hutchinson. 99p Really enjoyed this sci-fi novel and series. Recommended.

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore By Robin Sloan. £2.49

Beneath the World: A sea by Chris Beckett £2.19

• Upvote 7

I can vouch for Annihilation (well, it won't be good for everyone but it's perfect for me) and Kavalier and Clay from that list. 

Luna: New Moon is a great read. Rival families on the newly colonised Moon fight for territory and status. Lots of politics, hard space-tech and betrayal. Game of Thrones in space is a lazy but accurate description. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Is this the one that Craig Mazin spoke so much about when he wrote the TV series?

“And then there was Voices From Chernobyl, which is unique. What Svetlana Alexievich did there, I think, was capture an aspect of history we rarely see, which is the story of the people who you wouldn’t otherwise even know existed. We look at history from the point of view of the big movers, the big players, and she looks at history through the eyes of human beings. They’re all equal to her: Whether they are generals or party leaders or peasants, it doesn’t matter. And I thought that was just beautiful. It really inspired me.”

From here.

• Upvote 3