choddo

Kindle shop Recommendations

I guess there are other threads about good books which are available in print or eBook format, so this is more about deals/offers/bargains. I don't know how often these crop up as I've only had my Kindle since Christmas, so it maybe that there isn't enough activity to fund an entire thread, but let's see...

I don't think you can doubt the bargainousness of;

Hitchhiker's Guide for £2.99

Pratchett's Wintersmith at £3.71 seems a good buy, though I haven't read this one yet. The man can do no wrong imho. I'm reading I Shall Wear Midnight at the moment and it's brilliant. I don't understand why Sky keep trying to convert his stuff for TV. The genius of all his books is in the narrative.

I've just picked up this very well reviewed 1946 Glasgow crime thriller The Hanging Shed for a quid.

and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is being knocked out at £2.74

Finally, Matt Cardle's "My Story (X-Factor)" is at a frankly stunning £6.99, a full £10 off the imminently Charity Shop bound print edition.

Not really a recommendations as I have no impressions of my own yet, but I bought The Honour of the Knights by Stephen J Sweeney at lunchtime. It's only £0.86 and has had some pretty favourable reviews so far.

I bought that. It was sort of fun, but full of typos and very amateurish, which is fine by me as I'm a very amateurish writer myself. I'd read the sequel if it becomes available, and for the same price, but it's hard to "recommend". The story's vaguely interesting, but nothing clever. The characters are mostly idiots. They're meant to be hotshot starfighter pilots, but they come across more like children, really.

Worth the price. Probably better than I'm making it sound.

For a similar price I then went on to buy, download and read: "Elfhunter: A Tale of Alterra, The World That Is". Total and utter wanky bollocks Lord Of The Rings wannabe, but again, somewhat interesting, I finished it and will read the next two...worth the less than a quid I paid for it. Although you'll be sick of the word "sense" by the time you've read it...and "love" :)

I'd link, but the site's blocked, sorry.

(Edit: I'm trying to find a kindle edition of Roadside Picnic. I've got a free, legit (I believe) PDF...but reading PDF's on my Galaxy S is a pain in the arse. I don't think there is one, is there?)

Really? The paperback has always been sub £5 on amazon for as long as I can remember. Just a quick glance and it's listed at £4.96. Unless of course you meant from a bricks-and-mortar store in which case ignore me.

Waterstones currently have a few Bloomsbury books reduced to £1.99 each:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/pages/bloomsbury-ebooks-offer/2312/

Any that you'd recommend? I've got a £10 voucher for them so I'm thinking of getting Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book which I've been meaning to buy for a while. The TC Boyle short story collection looks like a good choice as well.

Waterstones currently have a few Bloomsbury books reduced to £1.99 each:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/pages/bloomsbury-ebooks-offer/2312/

Any that you'd recommend? I've got a £10 voucher for them so I'm thinking of getting Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book which I've been meaning to buy for a while. The TC Boyle short story collection looks like a good choice as well.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is worth reading, and the Justin Cartwright book reviewed really well, its on my list to get when it hits paperback.

Is there much of a price difference between the us and uk amazon kindle stores? It keeps prompting me to change to the uk store but I'm afraid the uk pricing will be a rip off.

Why not go and have a look? Just logout of your Amazon account and go for a browse.

Does anyone know why Good Omens and The Stand aren't on fucking Kindle? I want to have them on there because they're 2 of my favourite books and amongst the tonnes of King and Pratchett those two are conspicuous by their absence. Most irritating.

Does anyone know why Good Omens and The Stand aren't on fucking Kindle? I want to have them on there because they're 2 of my favourite books and amongst the tonnes of King and Pratchett those two are conspicuous by their absence. Most irritating.

I've got both. PM me your email address and I'll send them as an attachment if you like?

I see The Hunger Games is £1.99 for the Kindle. Anyone read it, it's sold loads and they're making a film of it. I guess what I'm asking is it's classed as Young Adult fiction, how much pleasure would an adult get out of it? The premise sounds interesting.