rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dizogg

A nice sauce for Salmon?

I quite often make Salmon with some green veg and mash potato, and its pretty nice. Only people is it lacks something wet. Like gravy on sausage and mash.

So what sauces do you use on your salmon? Can be shop bought, homemade, hopefully simple enough that I could make it in 10 minutes whilst the rest of it is cooking.

Ideas please!

Fry off some garlic, ginger, and fresh chilli. Add a big dollop of honey and soy and let it cook down for a few minutes until it appears quite sticky and think. Smear over salmon.

Orange juice and soy sauce. Fill the bottom of the pan with one, add a generous splash of the other, then heat on very high to reduce it until it starts to thicken. Keep stirring it.

Parsley sauce would be your classic option. You don't see it around much anymore, probably because it was ruined by packeted rubbish, but done properly it's a beautiful sauce that sits really well with salmon.

Alternatively you could do a Bearnaise, another classic although that's quite hard to do well. Maille do it in a pot and it isn't expensive.

Alternatively you could do a Bearnaise, another classic although that's quite hard to do well. Maille do it in a pot and it isn't expensive.

I'd have said hollandaise, rather than bearnaise - the tarragon would be an odd combination with the salmon.

Parsley sauce would be your classic option. You don't see it around much anymore, probably because it was ruined by packeted rubbish, but done properly it's a beautiful sauce that sits really well with salmon.

Parsley sauce - yes. I used Delia's recipe a while back, very good it was too (and doesn't need you to make a roux so it's a bit quicker / easier).

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sauce/english-parsley-sauce.html

Fry off some garlic, ginger, and fresh chilli. Add a big dollop of honey and soy and let it cook down for a few minutes until it appears quite sticky and think. Smear over salmon.

With Mash?

I'd go with Parsely sauce. Once you've made parsley sauce you can adapt the recipe and make all kinds of great sauces.

With Mash?

I'd go with Parsely sauce. Once you've made parsley sauce you can adapt the recipe and make all kinds of great sauces.

Oh yeah :doh:

Okay, this would go well with noodles or rice ^_^

Parsley sauce - yes. I used Delia's recipe a while back, very good it was too (and doesn't need you to make a roux so it's a bit quicker / easier).

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sauce/english-parsley-sauce.html

My Delia sense is tingling. That looks like a slightly batshit mental way to make what is really a very easy sauce if you make a roux, particularly because her method involves two stages, the first of which you have to let cool.

I'd have said hollandaise, rather than bearnaise - the tarragon would be an odd combination with the salmon.

It's a very common herb in various sauces and dishes in France and often partners fish.

It's a very common herb in various sauces and dishes in France and often partners fish.

Odd was the wrong word. I meant that it's a very deliberate choice as it's a distinct flavour. Leave out the tarragon and you have the same sauce but without changing the overall flavour of the dish.

I just reviewed The Saucy Fish Co's Salmon Watercress and Creme Fraiche Dressing - surprisingly fresh and tasty. Website with the review is in my signature... (they do sell the sauce in a pouch on its own at Tesco, you don't have to buy it with the salmon).

Hey Dizogg, I tried Teriyaki sauce with some salmon today, salmon medallions apparently. I had 2 bottles of this sauce, one was thin like soy sauce and the other was thick and sticky. I spread the sticky stuff on with a little silicone brush, all over, quite liberally. Then I fried them, and then painted some more sauce on. This is basically what shiftcrack suggests in the first reply I know, but from a bottle.

Could have done with some extra bite personally, some really finely chopped chilli and garlic, heated in the pan, then sprinkled on the top, but it was surprisingly good, definitely gonna try it again.

Usually we either stick a big dollop of creme fraiche on the salmon before grilling, or mix up a load of diced cucumber and creme fraiche and add it afterwards.

Could have done with some extra bite personally, some really finely chopped chilli and garlic, heated in the pan, then sprinkled on the top, but it was surprisingly good, definitely gonna try it again.

My preference is to make cuts across the salmon and then rub it over with finely chopped garlic, ginger, chilli and the rind of a lime. I then steam it as it mellows out all the flavours considerably more than with frying and it takes on an almost creamy texture.

I do a Teryaki-esque marinade for salmon that I got out of an issue of Good Food. I can't remember the exact ratios as I improvise it these days, but it's Dry Sherry, Honey, Soy sauce, and crushed garlic. Very simple, very tasty, and if you fry the salmon off first, then bubble the rest of the marinade in with it for a minute of two you get a nice sticky sauce with it.

Chilli, ginger etc, could easily be added.