rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MrHendo

Digital board games

You should honestly try out Blood Bowl, it's a lot of fun but ignore the single-player (well it's good enough to learn on) and the Real-time mode. It's all dice-rolls and choices despite it looking like a football game. Play in tournaments online and it becomes a lot more, managing your squad's injuries (again decided when they get KO'd by dice-roll) and knowing when to hire/fire players is a brilliant meta-game in it's own right!

The teams also have tons and tons of variety, nothing quite beats picking up a Snotling with your Ogre and throwing them over the score line. Most of the time they'll be dopped and die though. :lol:

(it's the million to one odds that make it.)

• Upvote 1

Ah, sorry to hear that, it is a fairly low spec game but if your PC is really that bad perhaps not.

But there's always Fumbll: http://fumbbl.com/

All you need is Java and an account, it's exactly the same game but with the most basic graphics and sound - still it's free and if you want to get into it there's tutorials and stuff.

• Upvote 1

Fumbbl should work fine; it's really up to you though because it's not as user friendly and without the singleplayer stuff you're going to have to read up on everything beforehand, but then I think FumBBL allows you to spectate other games so it's not so bad.

Plenty of guides out there but most importantly I suggest downloading the rulebook: http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml

• Upvote 1

Apologies for the bump but I've got right into the digital board games recently. :)

Got myself the new iPad....

....Any new-ish recommendations?

There is a fantastic version of Forbidden Island for the iPad. It's a co-op game and it has no online mode at the moment, but if you're short of players you can just play several roles yourself and solo it. It's apparently just been updated with more island maps via an IAP too.

Funnily enough I did download that! I only gave it a quick spin with a mate and we weren't sure what we were doing so didn't bother again. I'm quite willing to go back to it though.

I also got a game called Operation Eradicate which is meant to be a clone of the board game Pandemic. It's also co-op and we got a better idea of what we were doing but the interface is a bit fiddly.

I seem to be happy enough at the moment with Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride at the moment and am always up for people to play against on those.

Pandemic is kind of the big brother of Forbidden Island. They were both created by the same person, Matt Leacock, and most of the gameplay mechanics are the same in each title. I have looked at Operation Eradicate but I would really love to see an official Pandemic release on iOS, so I'm holding off in hope of it appearing for the time being at least.

I play Carcassonne quite a bit as it's a great wee single screen multiplayer game on xbox. Ended up going there on holiday this year as well because we enjoy the game so much (but probably actually because it was pretty much the cheapest RyanAir flight going).

Monopoly (not Monopoly Streets, which I wasn't as fond of) on the Wii is great as well; better than the 360 version at least, which is clearly the Wii version adapted to a standard control scheme without any attempt to optimise it. Not a huuuuge deal, but it creates a few niggling issues. "The Richest" mode is a pretty entertaining diversion too, though each round of it is broken up by minigames which are so poor that I'd rather have my fate decided by a dice roll than play them.

I've probably posted about it too many times now, but I adore Boom Street on the Wii (Fortune Street in the US; the first western release of the Japanese Itadaki Street games from SquareEnix). It's a slightly more complex version of monopoly which adds the tactical element of buying and selling shares in each four tile "district" and spending money to upgrade your shops (which in turn increases the share price). Buying into regions you haven't any propertly in can allow you to benefit as the owner upgrades, and tactically selling shares to force a drop in others' share values is deliciously malicious. Well worth trying out.

It does have a criminal flaw though, in that there are five further boards to unlock, but you can only unlock them by playing through solo.

Yeah; Mario Party 9 does it too, to an extent; you can unlock an extra board with some mad tokens or whatever you get for playing in party mode, but you have to plough through a solo mode if you want to unlock the extra characters. But Birdo is already there as standard, so there's little point.

It's really good though, in exactly the same way as the other Mario Party games are really good; ie not that good at all really if you've already played one of the other ones recently. I like it.

Helped test an iOS game called Motherlode recently, based on a real board game. Free solo player version, pay for multiplayer (local only at present)

Apologies for the bump.

I'm tempted to get Armello on the PS4 as it's on sale till Wednesday but not got any buddies tempted with it yet.

Anyone play it or know if there's a decent community playing?

2 hours ago, MrHendo said:

Apologies for the bump.

I'm tempted to get Armello on the PS4 as it's on sale till Wednesday but not got any buddies tempted with it yet.

Anyone play it or know if there's a decent community playing?

I bought it on release and loved it, posted some thoughts here.

• Upvote 1