Stargazing Live

Anybody else watch this?

I've always really enjoyed just gazing at the stars, but haven't ever taken it further than that. So it was good to get a few tips on taking photographs.

It is cloudy here at the moment, so I haven't had chance to take any pictures with the trusty compact I have to hand.

Hopefully the amateur photographers from the Creative Design board will be along to show us what can be done.

For those who missed it and want to have a go at taking some piccies, here's the relevant guide that was on the show tonight.

I found that really awkward and uncomfortable viewing. It was a bit The One Show does Astrophysics.

I suppose I learnt a few things which must have been the main objective (other pushing the tried and tested celebrities do dancing/magic etc. format on to stargazing) but I don't think it benefitted from being live at all. Obviously it's all about tomorrow's episode which, i suppose, has to be live.

I'd rather the beeb (or was it on C4?) repeated that Stephen Hawking's Universe programme from last year (or was it the year before?) which fried my brain after about 15 mins but I really want to give another try. I'd rather be challenged than shown how many telescopes Jonathan Ross has that he doesn't have time or can't be bothered to learn to use properly.

I really like the format, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm a bit of an astronomy geek, and I get a good fill of knowledge and info from more traditional documentaries, websites and podcasts etc so I'm happy for them to try a format like this.

It did come across as quite awkward in places but I'll do anything for more Cox RARARA. Really liked the tips on photography, especially the wonderfully simple idea about taking a picture of what you see with a telescope by just jamming a camera up there. That picture of Saturn they got like that was really nice.

I'd rather the beeb (or was it on C4?) repeated that Stephen Hawking's Universe programme from last year (or was it the year before?) which fried my brain after about 15 mins but I really want to give another try.

Wasn't it on Discovery, or Nat Geo?

[edit]

Seems like it was broadcast on Nat Geo on the 16th of November '09 - it's on usenet :)

I thought that Stephen Hawking show was bloody terrible. This however, was great. I have no interest in actually doing any stargazing (I trust that science isn't lying to me and it's all actually there, I have no need to see it myself. Also I live in London so I'm not going to see anything anyway), but it was informative, and light-hearted. Brian Cox and Dara O'Briain have a decent chemistry.

It's a bit odd though that Brian Cox has become TV's Mr Space when he's a particle physicist.

Since it's a live programme, it takes longer to encode it for iPlayer... pre-recorded programmes they can have ready and just hit a button to put it there when the (real) broadcast finishes.

Was interested in this, but a) watching other stuff and b) it has Jonathon Ross in it

Wossy's only in it for five minutes max, so assuming you can endure him for that long you should be OK. Apart from the music from the stars bit I thought the second programme was really good. It still does seem weird to have something like this going up against the soaps but I'm sure Stargazing is holding it's own. I felt sorry for the telescope guy when he was waffling on about the clouds and missed the awesome meteorite shooting across behind him. I really, really want one of those little wooden solar telescope things someone in the Hawaii segment had but they're around £300 in the UK, so knickers to that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I liked last nights show and although I do think that Prof Cox is an incredibly smug git at times, Dara balances it out to make us mere mortals be able to watch it without feeling like a thicky. The stuff about the moon landings was just :o

Also tonight, Black Holes!! :omg:

Ayone do the searching for exoplanets thing? I done it and thought I found one, but then it told me it was a simulated planet, presumably so I would know I was doing it right.

Not yet, but I'll give it a go later on. Have you tried Galaxy Zoo?

Shame this show isn't on every night. If the Beeb did stuff like this more often it would be worth the licence fee.

There's great stuff on BBC4 every night. For instance, one time I watched a series of three hour long documentaries about Harris Tweed. Now I know everything there is to know about Harris Tweed. You wouldn't get that on Sky 1.

Seeing this really made me want to see Wonders of the Universe again, even though much of it was the same information. I do wish Dr Cox would stop grinning though.

Grin? I'm surprised he isn't the smuggest guy on the planet - and I mean that as a compliment.

The man has had a Number One record, is a Professor of a mind blowingly difficult and cool subject, gets to play with shit like the Large Hadron Collider and practically any telescope in the world that he so chooses, has spoken to legendary astronauts and physicists, has the International Space Station on speeddial, had sellout tours to talk physics and now gets to go all over the world to stand on top of mountains and say "that's amaaaaazing" on one of the most popular TV shows the BBC has produced in years. Oh, and his wife is a babe.

All he needs is to be good at football and he's made every other bloke in the world feel completely inadequate.