PS3 jailbroken

Halo

they have no right to be pissed off really. They made their choice to install unsupported, and not thoroughly tested, software released in a hurry.

I dont like to see this kind of shit. They made a choice to risk it, but theres no need to be a dick about it. You'd be the 1st posting "help" if you tried something like that.

Saw this on a couple of places, is meant to fix the brick (should you be so unlucky - I haven't tried anything)

--------------------

How To Fix Ur BRICKED Ps3.

1.First of all, download this recovery files. Download here.

2.Unzip the .zip file and it will show up two folders (Lv2Diag File 1 & Lv2Diag File 2)

3.Put your PS3 on Recovery Mode (it its bricked it will not show you the Recovery Screen, it will just turn off once you click power+eject)

4.Then format a USB and put the following files on the root: Lv2Diag.self (From the File 1 folder) and PS3UPDAT.PUP (Your current firmware)

5.Put the USB on the right USB port of the PS3 (The one closer to the Disc Reader) and turn it on

6.The screen will be black, just wait 10 minutes approximately and the PS3 will turn off it self (If the PS3 doesn't turn off after 10 minutes, turn it off manually)

7.Turn the PS3 on and you'll see the Recovery Mode screen, after this erase everything from your USB and put the Lv2Diag.self (From the File 2 folder) on the USB root

8.Turn off the PS3 and put the USB on the right USB port of the PS3 (The one closer to the Disc Reader)

9.Turn your PS3 on and then it will turn off, turn it on again and your PS3 will be unbricked .

Enjoy .

---------------------------------

Here's a link to the original forum post everywhere seems to be getting this info from, it has the link to download the .zip file mentioned.

http://www.glitcheaven.com/showthread.php?t=3021&page=1

I didn't want to post the link to the .zip here just in case a mod had to remove it.

And here's the same method written slightly differently from another place - use the same .zip file from the link in the post above :

-------------------

Cheers to all the people with a brick…

I fixed a brick on my 60gb(launch-console) with the 3.50 to 3.41 downgrade-method:

Download this package Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

After unrar the package, put the data inside the “Lv2diag.self FILE 1 folder” to the root of a normal usb-stick.

Take the “PS3UPDAT.PUP” inside “Modified 3.41 PUP” folder, create this folder structure on your usb-stick:

PS3->UPDATE<—and put the "PS3UPDAT.PUP" in this folder.

After finishing all files copied to your usb-stick, shut down your bricked PS3 and put the usb-stick into the rightest usb-port of your playstation-model.

Then start the engines of your black lady…if all goes well, your PS3 stay in Blackscreen, but the flashlights in front of the PS3 are working.

When finished, your PS3 shut down automatically and after start the engines again you are in "Service Mode/ Firmware 3.41".

If you want to go back from service mode to normal mode, then erase all data on the usb-stick and put the data inside the "Lv2diag.self FILE 2 folder" to the root of your usb-stick,shut down PS3, put the usb-stick into the rightest usb-port and start the engines again…after 10-20 seconds your PS3 shut down automatically again.

And now: "Put your hands up in the air", you have succesfully unbrick your PS3-Console…

This method is working great for me!

Good luck with this solution and keep the scene alive ;-)

With friendly greetings,

LarryHopp3r

--------------------------------------------------

It would seem the fat models with 256mb NAND are the ones most likely to brick (subsequent models have 16MB NAND) - see the diagram attached. This is by no means confirmed, some are reported to be working fine, but the most reported models that have bricked are the ones with 256mb NAND.

I'm posting this here so that the info (if it proves to be relevant) is somewhere that people don't have to go and plow through hundreds of pages of useless crap to find it.

post-13261-005446200 1295279481_thumb.pn

Can somoene please advise as to what I am doing wrong?

I'm trying to install the CFW to my PS3, but the PS3 is telling me there are no files.

I have the PUP file in a folder called UPDATE. And that's in a folder marked PS3. Then I copy to this over to a USB drive. Is this correct??

Can somoene please advise as to what I am doing wrong?

I'm trying to install the CFW to my PS3, but the PS3 is telling me there are no files.

I have the PUP file in a folder called UPDATE. And that's in a folder marked PS3. Then I copy to this over to a USB drive. Is this correct??

i think its case sensitive to, and i needs to be called update.dat i think

Can someone tell me how to go back to the official firmware after I tried Geoholts CFW 3.5 - all works fine with emulators etc but I was just taking a look and want to go back.

I read somewhere about you had to book the PS3 in service mode to reinstall the OFW (which I have already downloaded)

Can someone tell me how to go back to the official firmware after I tried Geoholts CFW 3.5 - all works fine with emulators etc but I was just taking a look and want to go back.

I read somewhere about you had to book the PS3 in service mode to reinstall the OFW (which I have already downloaded)

Yes you need to put it into recovery mode and then flash the firmware

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.

2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps

4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.

5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button

6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

I did it as the cfw seems a bit pointless (already having a Wii homebrewed for emulators) and it rolled back from geohot fine.

Yes you need to put it into recovery mode and then flash the firmware

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.

2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps

4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.

5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button

6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

I did it as the cfw seems a bit pointless (already having a Wii homebrewed for emulators) and it rolled back from geohot fine.

Many thanks :)

i think its case sensitive to, and i needs to be called update.dat i think

ah this might be why this isnt working for me

what exactly need to be called update.dat? the folder?

I made a PS3 folder, then a folder inside that called UPDATE (all in caps) then put the ps3update.pup in there directly from geohots zip

does precisely nothing installing from the update thing on xmb and says its corrupted on the service menu

Nothing needs to be called update.dat, it sounds like you're doing it right. Did the firmware actually install okay?

Do you have compatible pkg files on the root of the USB drive? I could be wrong, but I think the 'install package files' folder only appears when you have some on a USB device to install.

Nothing needs to be called update.dat, it sounds like you're doing it right. Did the firmware actually install okay?

Do you have compatible pkg files on the root of the USB drive? I could be wrong, but I think the 'install package files' folder only appears when you have some on a USB device to install.

it seemed to install and did the four beep thing etc

I have the snes emulator on the root,but its not in a folder....

Only a rumour at the moment but:

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys

Read more: http://www.techeye.net/security/sony-plugs-ps3-root-key-hole-with-blu-ray-serial-keys#ixzz1BgIXyexa'>http://www.techeye.net/security/sony-plugs-ps3-root-key-hole-with-blu-ray-serial-keys#ixzz1BgIXyexa

Sony will introduce a serial key system for its games on the PlayStation 3, according to a “very reliable source” cited by PS3-Sense.

The move follows the revealing of the PS3's root keys at the beginning of this month, which opens the doors to piracy. The root keys are used as part of the authentication process to verify the legitimacy of a PS3 game, but with them out in the wild hackers can trick their way past the protection measure.

The exposing of the root keys caused massive embarrassment for Sony and could cost it millions in pirated games. It has taken the threat to heart, suing over 100 hackers involved in the case.

That may help recoup some losses or keep the hackers at bay for a bit, but it won't repair the breach in the PS3's hull, so clearly it is hard at work trying to find a new authentication system.

New games are expected to come with a unique serial key relating to that specific Blu-ray disc, which must then be entered on the PS3 for verification, much like standard serial keys for software and games on PCs. However, it can only be entered a maximum of five times, obviously to prevent further piracy, but it may cause severe restrictions for genuine gamers also.

Sony is already working on this proposal and has, according to unnamed source, already updated the PS3's firmware to enact the new protection measure. Of course, old games that have already been shipped cannot have the serial keys introduced, so either Sony will have to forfeit its losses on those or come up with another security measure.

http://www.techeye.net/security/sony-plugs-ps3-root-key-hole-with-blu-ray-serial-keys

So does this also mean you might buy a preowned PS3 game and find out you can't play it since the keys are already used up? What about the rental market for places like lovefilm or boomerang?

Killing the second hand market is probably considered the lesser of two evils. Also it probably gets them on the good side of some of the big publishers that are opposed to the second-hand market (project $10, etc), so I'd consider this a win-win for Sony.

Shame about the gamers lumped with a draconian DRM solution though.

Killing the second hand market is probably considered the lesser of two evils. Also it probably gets them on the good side of some of the big publishers that are opposed to the second-hand market (project $10, etc), so I'd consider this a win-win for Sony.

Shame about the gamers lumped with a draconian DRM solution though.

The scary thing is that people that are playing pirates will no doubt get fully cracked non DRM'd versions to download - much like on PC and the only folks that are lumped with full price games, no rental market and no 2nd hand option are the paying public.