The Official RLLMUK Awards 2010 - Vote thread

Only use this thread for casting votes!

The discussion thread can be found here.

Please make my job easier and observe the following rules:

Rules

1. Use the ballot slip below to cast your votes. Only your last post in this thread will be counted.
  2. You have five votes per category. You don't have to use all of your votes, and you don't have to vote in every category.
  3. You can only vote for products released in 2010, in any region, with the exception of the 'Most Wanted' category.
  4. The vote thread will be closed on January 17th, 2011. No votes will be accepted after that point.

Posting Guidelines

• To cast your votes, copy the entire CODE block below, paste it into your reply box, then write the title of the game you are voting for inside the bold tags.
  • Everything outside the [ b ] [ /b ] tags will be considered comment. Comments will be collected, and the may make it into the results thread in the new year.
  • You can delete list lines or entire [ list ] blocks if you don't want to cast votes in that category. Or, you can leave them blank.
  • You may find the Gameplay Release Calendar useful for dates.
  • You don't have to vote for games in the "Hall of Shame" category.

Categories

• Game of the Year
  • Most Wanted Game Of 2011
  • Hall of Shame
  • Best Technical Achievement
  • Best Online Experience
  • Best Use of Waggle
  • Best NDS Game
  • Best Mobile Game (iPhone/Android)
  • Best PC Game
  • Best PS3 Game
  • Best PSP Game
  • Best Xbox 360 Game
  • Best Wii Game
  • Best Download-only Game (Wii/DSiWare, XBLA, PSN, Indie)

Ballot Slip

Copy and paste the contents of the following block as your reply:

[b]Game of the Year[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Most Wanted Game Of 2011[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Hall of Shame[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Technical Achievement[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Online Experience[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Use of Waggle[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best NDS Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Mobile Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best PC Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best PS3 Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best PSP Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Xbox 360 Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Wii Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]
[b]Best Download-only Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[*] [b][/b]
[/list]

Example

[b]Best NDS Game[/b]
[list=1]
[*] [b]Super Mario X[/b] I thought it was super awesome
[*] [b]Super Mario Y[/b] I thought it was awesome
[*] [b]Super Mario Z[/b] I thought it was pretty good
[*] [b]Super Mario EX[/b] I thought it was alright
[*] [b]Super Mario EX-Alpha[/b] Edge 8/10
[/list]

Game of the Year

1. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Civilization V
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Batman: Arkham City
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Phantasy Star Online 2 - IF it turns up
  4. Diablo III - IF it turns up
  5. Dawn of War II: Retribution

Hall of Shame

1. Final Fantasy XIV
  2. Heavy Rain

Best Online Experience

2. World of Warcraft

Best Mobile Game

1. Let's Go Create Pottery HD

Best PC Game

2. Civilization V
  3. Hydorah
  4. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Pac-Man Championship Edition
  3. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  4. Scott Pilgrim Vs the World
  5. Final Fight: Double Impact

Game of the Year

1. Vanquish - Head and shoulders above the other games I've played this year. Not just a phenomenal shooter, but a technical marvel, which is all the more incredible when its multi format. Coming so soon are Reach, Vanquish is the true successor to Halo CE. The single best arcade game in a generation, and shows what can happen when a game is designed as a purely single player experience.
  2. Bit.Trip Runner - Gripped me for weeks. The game soundtrack of the year, and gameplay which never frustrated, no matter how much the game tried. The instant restarts after the very frequent deaths meant it was more effort to quit than to continue playing. In the zone gaming like nothing else.
  3. Super Street Fighter IV - Update to the greatest ever fighter was always going to be good. Shame my skills plateaued a long time ago.
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - If you look at is dispassionately, it's better that its predecessor in every way (I still prefer the first one though),
  5. Bayonetta - Scoffed at the Edge 10, played the demo and disliked the cheesy acting and music, and was underwhelmed by the fighting. Then bought it anyway after being swayed by the constant praise for the game, and fell in love with everything about it.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Nintendo 3DS - About half the announced launch games have got me excited.
  2. The Last Guardian
  3. Child Of Eden
  4. Portal 2
  5. Dead Space 2

Hall of Shame

1. Limbo - I can't remember a game where my feelings for it have changed so much over its duration. The opening 45 minutes were joyous, but by the end, I wanted to destroy the universe.
  2. Kinect - The E3 smoke and mirrors bullshit out did Sony's infamous Killzone 2 pre-rendered nonsense. The final product - raw tech aside - is uninspiring.
  3. Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - There's a good game hidden in there, but oh my fuck, if this game isn't a masterclass in bad design decisions. From the retarded semi-fixed camera, poor signposting, to the cheap, unsignposted unblockable hits. Its combat is to Bayonetta what Rise Of The Robots was to SFII. Not forgetting the most shameless plagiarism I've ever encountered in all my years in gaming. The few original ideas present - hide & seek, FFS - are uniformly terrible.
  4. Sonic 4 - I was expected a prettier version of the original. What I got instead was the gaming equivalent of fan fiction. Appalling.
  5. Gran Turismo 5's UI - Menu and UI crimes are often committed by Japanese games, but this takes it to whole new levels. Made all the worse by the lengthy loading between menu screens.

Best Technical Achievement

1. Vanquish - One of the best looking games to date, rock solid on both formats, with screen filling particle effects, enormous enemies and a ton of graphical flourishes. The gravity bending shootout on the monorail is astonishing to behold.
  2. Halo Reach - A significant leap over Halo 3, and arguable the most technically impressive game on the 360.
  3. Infinity Blade - A current gen console game running on my phone. Incredible.
  4. Gram Turismo PSP - They effectively managed to squeeze GT4 onto Sony's now ageing handheld.
  5. Dead Nation - Lacks the 1080p/60fps of SSHD, but makes up for it by throwing a huge amount of effects and zombies at you, never missing a frame.

Best Online Experience

1. Super Street Fighter IV
  2. Game Centre - Finally, a single online point for the iPhone.
  3. Stardunk - Casual space basketball, played simultaneously against a couple of hundred people.

Best Use of Waggle

1. Tilt To Live
  2. Bit.Trip Beat - iPhone version
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  4. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor

Best Mobile Game

1. FlickKick Football
  2. Tilt To Live
  3. Infinity Blade
  4. StarDunk
  5. Fruit Ninja

Best PS3 Game

1. Vanquish
  2. Super Street Fighter IV
  3. Gran Turismo 5 - All the bad things you've read about the game are true. But so are all the good thing. Once you're out of the hellish menus and are on the tarmac, the sensation of driving is unparalleled.
  4. Dead Nation - I've eulogised about this in the PS3 owners thread.
  5. Costume Quest - A super easy, poor man's Mario & Luigi, but fun and charming and I loved every second of it.

Best PSP Game

1. Gran Turismo
  2. Age Of Zombies

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Bayonetta
  2. Halo Reach - If I'd only played through once on Heroic, this would probably have been my GOTY. Legendary, which is usually where Halo games show thief true colours, showed how the balance of earlier games had been lost. Constant deaths from splash damage from the never ending heavy plasma weapons is not fun, Bungie.
  3. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit - Certainly not as incredible as some folks make out, mostly due to the heavy handling of most of the cars. But it has its moments of pure arcade joy. Looks astonishing too.

Best Wii Game

1. Bit.Trip Runner
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
  4. Donkey Kong Country Returns - New Entry! Christmas day present. And it's glorious.
  5. Tatsunoko Vs Capcom - Eclipsed by SSFIV, but a fanastic fighter none the less. Roll on MvC3.

Best Download-only Game

1. Bit.Trip Runner
  2. Dead Nation
  3. FlickKick Football
  4. Tilt To Live
  5. Costume Quest

Game of the Year

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. VVVVVV
  3. Apple Jack
  4. Blur
  5. Halo Reach

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. FEZ
  2. Rayman Origins
  3. Catherine

Hall of Shame

1. Activision Still the biggest arseholes in the industry! Fucked over IW and didn't give them any respect for making the biggest game the industry has seen! Fucked over Bizarre Creations cause they couldn't be bothered to market their game! Ran Guitar Hero into the ground, and poor Tony Hawk still thinks his games are amazing!
  2. Sonic 4 SEGA still questioning my intelligence.
  3. Kinect You are the controller! Fuck off Microsoft
  4. Kinect Apologists 'Its suprisingly quite a lot of fun and it works most of the time!' Wii owner circa 2006

1. Halo Reach
  2. Blur
  3. Bayonetta

Best Online Experience

1. Halo Reach
  2. Blur

Best NDS Game

1. WarioWare D.I.Y.

Best PC Game

1. VVVVVV
  2. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
  3. Puzzle Agent

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Apple Jack
  3. Blur
  4. Halo Reach
  5. Rock Band 3

Best Wii Game

1. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. VVVVVV
  3. Apple Jack
  4. Decimation X
  5. Afterburner Climax

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Alpha Protocol
  3. Assassin's Creed II
  4. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game
  5. Minecraft

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  2. Mass Effect 3: Space Journalist Puncher Extreme!
  3. Dragon Age 2
  4. Portal 2
  5. Batman: Arkham City

Hall of Shame

1. Activision - in general.
  2. Ubisoft - absurdo-DRM.
  3. Starcraft II's 'storyline'
  4. APB - What is this I don't even
  5. Red Dead Redemption's severe disjunct between story and actual gameplay. Again. You'd think Rockstar might one day learn.

Best Online Experience

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Alpha Protocol
  3. Minecraft
  4. Desktop Dungeons
  5. Starcraft II

Best PS3 Game

1. Alpha Protocol
  2. Assassin's Creed II
  3. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game
  4. Resonance of Fate
  5. Vanquish

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Alpha Protocol
  3. Assassin's Creed II
  4. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game
  5. Limbo

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game
  2. Minecraft
  3. Desktop Dungeons
  4. Limbo
  5. Fate of the World

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Portal 2
  2. Uncharted 3
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. The Last Guardian
  5. HL2: episode 3 (wishful thinking on my part probably)

Hall of Shame

Best Online Experience

1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story

Best PC Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Best PS3 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption (well, I played it on PS3!)
  2. Heavy Rain

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Game Dev Story

Game of the Year

1. Bayonetta - that fighting system just never gets old, and the game is full of surprises and challenges
  2. Rock Band 3 - the third game has broken so much ground with Pro Guitar and keyboards, and there's still so much potential
  3. DJ Hero 2 - they could have just released a glorified song pack, but the freestyle gameplay elements, the extra community features and the brilliant multiplayer make this feel like a whole new game
  4. Super Street Fighter IV - whilst my skill has dropped dramatically lately, this is still one of the best fighters ever made, with a brilliant roster and amazing online support.
  5. Half-Minute Hero - not as epic as the above four games; this was still a nice surprise, with adorable presentation and plenty of wit and charm

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Catherine - even though I know next to nothing about it, it looks very interesting to say the least. I hope a Europe release is announced soon...
  2. Ghost Trick - I fell in love with this from the first trailer, and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game and indulge in supernatural sleuthing.
  3. Deathsmiles - it's been region-free for a while, but I'm not a big importer, and I think such a niche game getting a Euro release deserves all the support it can get.

Hall of Shame

1. Rock Band 3 - and it's online component. Certain instrument combinations simply don't work, which has soured a few online lobbies I've tried to set up with friends. Considering how much of the game is so polished, it's a real letdown...
  2. Nier - and it's almost brilliant but not quite game. As I've said before, it's greatest achievement is that it tried to be it's own game rather than imitating something else, but it doesn't always come together that well.
  3. Kinect - not so much the final product, which has turned out okay, but the pre-release nightmares, from the E3 promos to the reports about space requirements
  4. APB - yeah, I actually bought a copy. It had great potential but the combat was terrible, and then the whole project got fucked anyway.
  5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - what, another boss that periodically strikes the ground and sends huge shockwaves rippling outward?

1. Rock Band 3 - it's just astounding how much Harmonix managed to squeeze into both the hardware and the software
  2. Battlefield Bad Company 2 - one of the first times in ages where I've had to stop and blink in appreciation at just how good the visuals looked in certain places

Best Online Experience

1. Super Street Fighter IV - so many demands were met with this game, and the Replay Channel, lobbies and more all make this feel like a game developed by people who listen to the fans
  2. Phantasy Star Portable 2 - dodgy wi-fi signals sour the experience, but aside from Everybody's Golf it's one of the best infrastructure based multiplayer games on PSP, proving that not everything needs XLink Kai and Adhoc Party
  3. DJ Hero 2 - just for the Hero Feed and Rep and challenges - it made it feel like a really well-rounded online experience

Best NDS Game

1. Wario Ware DIY - just for firing up my imagination and letting me create rubbish "poke the face to make him wiggle his eyebrows" epics...
  2. Super Scribblenauts - if only for title screen fun. :P Although I did finish it in the end...

Best PSP Game

1. Half-Minute Hero - it's original, charming, witty, fun, and that final sprint on the last Hero 30 mission was one of my most memorable gaming moments of the year.
  2. Phantasy Star Portable 2 - just for the aforementioned multiplayer. When it works, it's awesome.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Rock Band 3
  2. DJ Hero 2
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Battlefield Bad Company 2

Best Download-only Game

1. After Burner Climax - if only because, like Outrun 2, I never thought I'd get the chance to play this ouside of arcades. Simply brilliant fun.
  2. Score Rush - the bullet patterns are almost hypnotic in bringing me back for more manic blasting against impossible odds; it's just awesome.
  3. Chime - admittedly just Lumines prettied up with a few tweaks, the way the songs build up is mesmerising
  4. Pac-Man CE DX
  5. Shank

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Though it inevitably doesn't have quite the same impact second time around, the game is still a near-perfect distillation of the platforming genre, filled to the brim with throwaway ideas and flourishes that whole other games would be built upon
  2. Alan Wake - More than the sum of its parts; the combat is meaty and satisfying, the writing, though variable in quality, is always interesting, but the star of the show is Bright Falls itself, a location dripping with atmosphere. The seeds of something incredible is here, they just need to work on the variety for a sequel, which is not beyond them if the DLC is anything to go by.
  3. Mass Effect 2 - Two steps forward, two steps back, trading scale for intimacy and plot progression for character development. Welcome improvements to the combat and tech side of things but an over-reliance on certain mission structures and warehouses full of crates. Again, the seeds of something magnificent are here; ME2 is merely excellent.
  4. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - For packing an emotional punch that most games could only dream of. The most mature game I've played in a long time; if this had been released on the HD consoles it would have garnered far more praise and attention.
  5. Super Meat Boy - For perfectly straddling the line between challenge and fairness. The purest gaming challenge of the year.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 - The final chapter of a great but flawed trilogy. Dying to see if they can truly make player's choices seem significant and if they can produce the masterpiece they keep hinting at.
  2. The Last Guardian
  3. Zelda: Skyward Sword - Not convinced by what I've seen so far but a new console Zelda is always an event.
  4. Batman: Arkham City - Sequel to GOTY 2008
  5. Portal 2 - Sequel to one of the most memorable experiences of this gen.

Hall of Shame

1. Activision - Generally continuing to be embarrassing, short-termist idiots.
  2. Sonic 4 - For being fuck all like a proper Sonic game
  3. Red Dead Redemption - Great world wrapped around Rockstar's trademark flavourless game design.
  4. Microsoft - For letting their first party dwindle away to fuck all in the face of Sony and Nintendo's large stable of developers.
  5. Fable 3 - Very disappointing entry in the franchise, ill thought-out and lacking in the resonance of the second game.

1. Kinect - It works well and does feel genuinely futuristic at times.
  2. Red Dead Redemption - Not too many games are really wowing me graphically at this stage of the generation but this was a notable exception
  3. Alan Wake - In raw terms of textures, tearing etc, it's not at the top end of this generation, but I found it very impressive in terms of scale, lighting and draw distance which really adds to the sense of place

Best Use of Waggle

1. Dance Central
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Alan Wake
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Super Meat Boy
  4. Dead Rising 2 - A sequel which takes all that was good about the first game and runs with it. One of the funniest games of the year, packed with secrets and things to do.
  5. Bioshock 2 - Better than the first game in most respects, particularly in terms of pacing, combat and level design.

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Silent Hill:Shattered Memories
  3. Donkey Kong Country Returns - Solid platformer but lacking any real excitement or innovation.

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. The Misadventures Of P.B Winterbottom - Fun Braid-Lite enhanced by its humour, music and art-design
  3. Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light - Meaty and polished spin-off
  4. Ilomilo - Mind-bending spatial puzzles wrapped up in gorgeous music and visuals
  5. Hydro Thunder Hurricane -

Game of the Year

1. Pinball FX 2 - I really do love this game
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. NHL 11
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Limbo

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. LA Noire
  2. Test Drive Unlimited 2
  3. Dead Space 2
  4. Last Guardian
  5. Portal 2

Hall of Shame

1. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
  2. Activision

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Pinball FX 2 For the leaderboard and friend integration

Best Online Experience

1. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
  2. NHL 11
  3. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  4. Blur

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story
  2. Angry Birds
  3. Cut The Rope

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Pinball FX 2 - I really do love this game
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. NHL 11
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Limbo

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Pinball FX 2
  2. Super Meat Boy
  3. Limbo
  4. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  5. Joe Danger

Game of the Year

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Monster Hunter Tri
  3. Minecraft

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. The Last Story
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Trauma Team

Best Online Experience

1. Monster Hunter Tri
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  3. Minecraft

Best Use of Waggle

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops - not waggle, but the pinnacle of pointer FPS controls
  2. Wii Party
  3. Red Steel 2 - sword & specials
  4. Goldeneye 007 - tilt-to-lean stealthily perfected
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - fuckin' BAM!

Best PC Game

1. Minecraft

Best Wii Game

1. Monster Hunter Tri - SMG2 was the only game in 3 months I stopped playing this for
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops (multiplayer)
  4. Goldeneye 007 (singleplayer)
  5. Wii Party - too much fun playing it with the wife and kids to exclude it

Best Download-only Game

1. Minecraft

Not really been a year when I played much, but for what it's worth:

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Vanquish
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Limbo
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Dead Space 2
  3. Batman: Arkham City

Hall of Shame

Best Online Experience

1. Halo: Reach

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Vanquish
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Limbo
  5. Red Dead Redemption

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Scott Pilgrim

Game of the Year

1. Minecraft
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Limbo
  4. Toy Soldiers
  5. Afterburner Climax

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Dead Space 2
  2. Portal 2

Hall of Shame

1. Red Dead Redemption

Best Online Experience

1. Minecraft
  2. Halo Reach

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

1. Minecraft

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Limbo
  3. Afterburner Climax

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Limbo
  3. Afterburner Climax

Game of the Year

1. Mass effect 2
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Red Dead Redemption
  4. Alan Wake

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Batman Arkum City
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Dead Space 2
  4. LA Noire

1. Halo Reach
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Kinect

Best Online Experience

1. Halo Reach

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Afterburner Climax
  3. Toy soldiers

Game of the Year

1. Apple Jack - I had no idea that when I was playing Super Mario Galaxy, I'd be so, so distracted by a one dollar Xbox LIVE Indie Game, to the point where I could literally play nothing else until I was done with it. It's easily my game of the year, for the amount of fun I got from it, and for the price:fun ratio I don't see how anything can even hope to compete. The 2D platformer came from nowhere and just hooked me. There are 100 levels, puzzles, perfect, perfect controls and a really funny story running through it that sees you travel across the English countryside looking for your dog. Enemies are killed by picking them up and throwing them into other enemies, and this introduces a combo system whereby if you then kill more enemies quickly, coins spew out (twice as many each time) until the screen is literally covered in them. It is ridiculously satisfying. I'm also massively proud to be one of the only people that will have completed the game before it was patched to make it a bit easier. I am hardcore, man! It was my GOTY the second I loaded it, I reckon.
  2. Hypership Out of Control - Most addictive title of the year, and ignored by everyone because it's an Indie. It's genuinely amazing, though.
  3. Resonance of Fate - Sent out to die against Final Fantasy XIII and indeed, I bought FF first myself. It turned out though that this was the most unique, refreshing RPG of the last x years and was a joy to play. Exquisite battle system, too. Glorious.
  4. Super Meat Boy - Everything I wanted it to be. Hard, hard, platforming. I knew in my head what I wanted and it just did it all perfectly.
  5. Loopop Cube: Lup Salad ★ PSP - Best puzzle game ever gets an even better PSP version. Yes, please.

Hall of Shame

1. Final Fantasy XIII - Horrendous. There was nothing about this that was good, especially the horrendous, broken, shit, boring battle system.
  2. Harmonix - For having the totally shit idea of making people rebuy DLC they already own. So much for a platform, cunts.
  3. Activision - For being Activision.
  4. Microsoft - For shutting down 1vs100.
  5. Timothy Langdell - LOL

Best NDS Game

1. Pokémon Soul Silver
  2. Dragon Quest IX
  3. Professor Layton & The Unwound Future
  4. Shantae
  5. WarioWare D.I.Y.

Best Mobile Game

1. Tilt to Live
  2. Game Dev Story
  3. Pix'n Love Rush
  4. Marblenauts
  5. Cubed Rally Racer

Best PC Game

1. Recettear

Best PS3 Game

1. Heavy Rain

Best PSP Game

1. Loopop Cube: Lup Salad ★ PSP
  2. Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd
  3. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Apple Jack
  2. Hypership Out of Control
  3. Resonance of Fate
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Darksiders

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Apple Jack
  2. Hypership Out of Control
  3. Super Meat Boy
  4. Recettear
  5. LIMBO

I bought Bayonetta last year, but if it's allowed, my list would be:

Game of the Year

1. Bayonetta - The best and deepest combat system ever and a game just dripping with a style that's just all its own. Completing it once is only the beginning as new difficulty levels change the game entirely, new items become available and you get better and better.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - It didn't feel as fresh as the first, but the platforming is nothing short of genius

3. Assassin's Creed Broherhood - Add-on my arse. Great new additions make this the best AC yet.

4. Mass Effect 2 - A game full of memorable moments and some of the best characters in any game this year.

5. Vanquish - Stylish, fast, it breathes new life in a stale genre.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1.Batman: Arkham City - Because they seem to improve on every aspect of an already ace game.

2. Uncharted 3 - Because it's the sequel to 2009's best game and you know it will be absolutely gorgeous.

3. The Last Guardian - It's Team ICO getting all the time they need from Sony. This will be a masterpiece.

4. Mass Effect 3 - Because I can't wait to see what changes and additions will be made and how the trilogy ends.

5. Mortal Kombat - Looks to be the Mortal Kombat I always wanted. Great art direction, deeper mechanics and a return to its roots.

Hall of Shame

1. Piracy - Activision may be a pain, but piracy is even worse in my book. It hurst devlopers, publishers and honest gamers and as such it damages our favorite pasttime.

2. Activision - Soulless sequels, cheap fighting talk, killing development studios with lots of potential... The list goes on an on.

3. GT5 - After all these year it should have been so much more. Instead it's stuck in the past.

4. Waggle - I am sure there are a few gems in between all the crap, but I'd rather have publishers spending their resources on games that appeal to me. Perhaps we'll see better waggle integration next year though.

Best Online Experience

Halo Reach - Tons of options, a great co-op campaign, a much expanded Firefight mode, good multiplayer, the list goes on and on.

Pinball FX2 - Best integration of score list and friends lists to date and just tremendous competitive fun.

Best Mobile Game

1. Fruit Ninja - Incredibly addictive and a great game to play at work.

1. God of War 3 - The character model of Kratos is absolutely insane and nothing this year even approaches the Titan sequences. Beautiful water effects as well.

2. Red Dead Redemption - Despite the best ending of 2010, I found the mission design lacking a bit. The world itself was absolutely brilliant however and a true technical marvel.

3. Vanquish - Tons of crazy shit happening at once with some stunning particle effects and animation, as well as truly glorious slow motion effects that emphasize its beauty.

Best Use of Waggle

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I haven't played anything else with waggle this year.

Best PC Game

1. Zumba Blitz

2. Bejeweled Blitz - they're the only games my ancient PC runs, but they are great fun.

Best PS3 Game

1. Vanquish

2. God of War 3

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Bayonetta

2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

3. Mass Effect 2

4. Vanquish

5. Halo Reach - A masterclass in FPS combat on Veteran and it looks a lot better than it did before as well.

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Pinball FX2 - Incredibly addictive with the recently released Marvel tables being the icing on the cake.

2. Super Meat Boy - Old school platform action that just feels right.

3. Limbo - Its first half was a lot better than the second, but it's still one of the most atmospheric games of the year. Those spider sequences... Really like the physics based puzzles as well.

4. Costume Quest - Easy, but also very witty and charming with lovely visuals and music.

5. Dead Rising: Case Zero - Everything that makes Dead Rising so unqie and fun, now in a bite sized version. Full game was excellent as well by the way.

Game of the Year

1. Super Street Fighter IV - I can't honestly say it was any other game. No game has captured my imagination like this has. I have spent hundreds of hours practicing my combos, fluffing them online with the excellent people of the SSFIV thread, loling at bad random select match ups, and trying to do the legendary Dan super taunt finish. Hell, I even started playing people in real life every month or so. It'll be a shame if I can't vote for an iteration of this game next year, as I already know it'll be my most played again. And I also know my Burrito knowledge is going to increase over the next year as well. No other game's thread is going to afford me that.
  2. Bayonetta - This game is so fucking good that I actually suffered the PS3 version (pre-install patch no less) and earned the Platinum trophy back when it was released. This game is so fucking good that I went through the whole ordeal again (1000G) just last month when I got another copy for 360. This really is a pinnacle of the genre, and I look forward to playing it even more to better understand its intricacies.
  3. Mario Galaxy 2 - The effect this game had on me wasn't nearly as great as its predecessor, but it still dazzled me as it's still packed full of that wonderful magic that only Nintendo know how to make.
  4. Mass Effect 2 - I don't have a lot to say about this compared to what's already been written, but I love the dialogue system, the well thought out universe and the complete overhaul of the inventory and combat since the last game. Sure, the mission structure is repetitive, but even if it's only surface differences in each location and plot strand, the core combat and excellently fleshed out cast are satisfying enough to keep me entertained throughout.
  5. Monster Hunter Tri - This wouldn't have made my list if it wasn't for my excellent hunting buddies, Choo, Uzi and Valeska. An immensely rich and satisfying experience, I can't wait to go hunting with you guys again in the next one.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Uncharted 3 - I can't wait for the next installment of serial adventure and excitement form Drake and buddies. The rumour of online co-op throughout the main adventure puts this straight to the top of my list.
  2. The Last Guardian - Please come out. Please come out. Please come out.
  3. Batman: Arkham City - One of 2009's nicest surprises looks like it's going to get bigger, better and certainly more badass.
  4. Mass Effect 3 - I'd love to see some of the kinks in the second game ironed out, but basically, I can't wait to jump back into the Normandy and go adventuring around the universe again.
  5. Project Dark - More Demon's Souls? YES YES YES YES YES.

Hall of Shame

1. Activision - Well, let's face it, the way they handled the West/Zampella situation seemed atrocious. And apparently the answer to their problems is to squeeze the CoD IP even harder. Great.
  2. Scott Pilgrim - Lovely sprite work, but I just can't shake that feeling of slight disappointment when I play it. It just doesn't feel like I'm playing one of those insane Paul Robertson animations.
  3. Capcom's SSFIV costume dlc pricing and dates - Each individual pack is bloody expensive. The discounted 'all costume' packs take an age to get released and a fair few costumes are pretty sub par. The only part of the SSFIV package that lets the fans down.
  4. Zen United - Massive delays on an already late PAL release over and over. They really need to shape up.

5. I think It's a testament to the exceptional quality of this year that it took a lot of effort to fill this category.

Best Online Experience

1. Super Street Fighter IV - They improved everything about the online tenfold by adding lobbies, sorting out the ranking system, allowing people to record and share replays. Basically, everything that everyone wanted in SFIV is now there, and it's fucking glorious. (But yeah, a more refined replay filtering system would be good...)
  2. Monster Hunter Tri - With a little help from Skype, this was a fantastic game. Cheating a little, I know, but the mission structure and the way everyone had to really work together to take down the beasties was both amazingly fun and very very satisfying.
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Just good fun, if still a little frustrating over time. Basically, while the maps aren't quite as finely tuned, I do like the fact the emphasis is now on gunplay rather than killstreaks, and most of the bullshit like quickscoping and noob tube spam has been take out of the equation.
  4. Halo: Reach - I really love the infinite variety this game has to offer. It's hard being a newcomer though.
  5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - I like the fact this game really emphasises teamwork above all else.

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon Quest IX - The only truly excellent NDS game I've played this year. Lovely innovative job system and that indefinable DQ charm in spades.
  2. Pokemon: HeartGold/SoulSilver - This was well made. Um... I didn't play much DS this year...
  3. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - A decent, if not great entry to the series.
  4. Mega Man Zero Collection - I'm struggling to think of any other games I've played on DS this year. It's certainly a good game, with lots of nice options for the player.

Best PS3 Game

1. Super Street Fighter IV - I think I've already said enough about this.
  2. Bayonetta - And this.
  3. Demon's Souls - I played this through again this year, despite already playing the shit out of the asian version last year. It's just so so satisfying to conceive and then master a new build.
  4. Vanquish - Excellent fun. Properly heart-pounding stuff. It's quite overwhelming at times. Until I got used to the pace I had to play it in small doses. It's a welcome breath of fresh air though, and with unexpected depth.
  5. Heavy Rain - A very interesting, unique experience. It would rate higher if repeat play didn't so completely yank out all the magic.

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Super Street Fighter IV - I've definitely said enough.
  2. Bayonetta - Even better on 360.
  3. Mass Effect 2 - The first game that made me feel like my 360 purchase was truly worthwhile.
  4. Red Dead Redemption - I was expecting to like this game, as everyone knows Rockstar are masters of their craft. I wasn't expecting to be quite so pulled in though. A truly well told fiction.
  5. Vanquish - Yeah, Platinum are pretty great.

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Still the king of pure video game joy.
  2. Monster Hunter Tri - I loved leveling up my cave man with my team. Some of the most satisfying experiences I've had videogaming have been spent in this world.
  3. No More Heroes 2 - Not quite as startling a kick in the nuts as the first game, but it was a nice streamlined, refined sequel mechanically, if not thematically.
  4. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor - I thought I'd love this more as I thought the concept would be perfect after the first time I played the original on Virtual Console. Still an excellent game, and I'm sure I'd appreciate it more with repeat play, but for some reason the story seemed especially grating.
  5. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Unfinished so far, but a really intriguing take on the series.

Best Download-only Game

1. Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den - Honestly, this totally blew me away. It easily outdid the main sequel plot line in a scant four hours. Proof that the Bioshock concept still has legs. The tranfer of Hot Scoops to Irrational is an excellent sign indeed.
  2. Super Meat Boy - I never thought myself a masochist until I realised how much I liked this game. I probably wouldn't have persevered without Choo to bitch at while we played, but I'm glad I did.
  3. Limbo - I'm not as in love with the style as most people - probably due to the immense hype levels before I played it, but I did enjoy the puzzle content rather a lot.
  4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - This really surprised me as a very fun and polished experience (well, single player was).
  5. Guwange - Ahh, the game that recently re-ignited my passion for shmups. It's by no means the best I've played this year (that title belongs to Mushihimesama), and Space Invaders Infinity Gene certainly brought a lot of interesting concepts to the table, but I think this bullet hell classic has certainly withstood the test of time.

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. Fallout New Vegas
  4. Halo: Reach
  5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. The Last Gaurdian
  4. L.A. Noire
  5. Uncharted 3

Hall of Shame

1. My bought but not played pile of shame
  2. My own 2d Mario skill - See below
  3. Bayonetta

1. God Of War 3
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Fallout New Vegas
  4. New Super Mario Bros 3

Best Online Experience

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

1. New Super Mario Bros 3 - SMB3 from the NES remade using NSMB graphics, made me wonder when I became so shit at Mario games but all the time with a huge smile on my face.

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story
  2. Angry Birds

Best PC Game

1. Bit Trip Beat
  2. Super Meat Boy

Best PS3 Game

1. Heavy Rain
  2. God Of War 3
  3. 3d Dot Game Heroes

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Fallout New Vegas
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  5. Limbo

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Bit Trip Beat
  2. Super Meat Boy
  4. Limbo
  5. Final Fight: Double Impact

Game of the Year

1. Fallout: New Vegas
  2. Dead Rising 2
  3. Red Dead Redemption
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. Mass Effect 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
  2. Witcher 2
  3. Deathsmiles
  4. Last Guardian
  5. Uncharted 3

Hall of Shame

1. God of War 3
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Ipad
  4. Metro 2033

Best Online Experience

1. Lord of the Rings Online

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

1. Espgaluda II
  2. Angry Birds

Best PC Game

2. Dead Rising 2
  3. Minecraft
  4. Football Manager 2011
  5. Metro 2033

Best PS3 Game

1. Heavy Rain
  2. God of War III

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Limbo
  4. AC: Brotherhood
  5. Metro 2033

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Download-only Game

1. Guwange
  2. Espgaluda II
  3. Angry Birds

Game of the Year

1. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Bayonetta
  4. Lego Harry Potter

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Deathsmiles
  2. Shenmue Town Or Shenmue City, whatever it's called. And as long as it comes out over here.

Hall of Shame

1. Realtime Worlds Management I know several people from RTW, and several people who know RTW high-ups from previous companies, and from the stories they've told me they really should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
  2. Activision
  3. Tim Langdell Seems weird to not have him at number 1, but RTW and Acti just take the piss.
  4. Sony Move
  5. Kinect I love the kit itself far more than I thought I would, but the amount of space it requires is ridiculous - and is made even worse by the fact that the thing is so large and heavy it is a very difficult and/or expensive task to mount it in a good position.

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Bayonetta

Best Online Experience

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

1. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Amazing they got this working so well on the DS. As much as I loved it, it made me really crave a PSP version.
  2. Professor Layton and the Lost Future

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Yakuza 3

Best PSP Game

1. Valkyria Chronicles 2
  2. Half Minute Hero

Best Xbox 360 Game

2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Bayonetta

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Guwange
  2. Cthulhu Saves The World Exactly how I want RPGs to be (just wish the bloody dungeons were smaller - hate wandering round through same-looking scenery, only to hit a dead end).
  3. Vorpal
  4. Score Rush
  5. Vampire Rage Bloody brilliant if you're into Cave/Treasure-style shooters. So close to being awesome. Here's hoping for a follow-up!

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2 This time last year, ME2 was my most wanted game of 2010. I was already a massive fanboy of Mass Effect 1 despite all of the flaws so I knew with more than two years to rework the technical and gameplay issues and further the story, ME2 couldn't do anything less than blow me away. Then it arrived OH GOD THE NEW GRAPHICS AND FRAMERATE, OH GOD NEW GOOD COMBAT, OH GOD NO MORE INVENTORY HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT, OH GOD SPACE HAMSTER.
    There is a whole thread of ME2 fans who could tell you why it was such an amazing game for various reasons. I'll tell you one of my biggest though and why I think it stands out as a high point in story based/RPG/adventure games. The continued journey. It was the first time I had seen where you as a player had such a direct impact on what was happening in the sequel. The imported save game was the beautiful invisible link between a disc people have owned and played since late 2007 and the massively improved follow up. Little side quests which seemed insignificant were recognised as your Shepard was recognised by familiar faces and continued stories and relationships. An incredible game and knowing again, that it serves as the direct and personal gateway to the next installment makes it all the more special. Oh and Mordin singing. Game of the fucking year.
  2. Super Street Fighter IV Lobbies, more characters, better balance, lobbies! Rllmuk SF thread! Fei Long Taunt 5! Best fighting game ever because of all of those.
  3. Fallout New Vegas I've posted a lot about this in the NV thread about why I think it's so much better than Fallout 3- and considering FO3 was my GOTY 2008, that's a pretty huge statement. It is simply the most enjoyable open world RPG I have played in recent years, possibly ever (morrowind being the key competition). The reputation and faction system was genius, makes you feel like you're part of a bigger picture rather than some lone protagonist that somehow single handedly affects the destiny of the whole world. There is a power struggle in this world and you decide how you want to be a part of that. Better writing, better quests, better balance and levelling up and a more interesting world mean this overtakes my journey in DC by a significant margin
  4. Silent Hill Shattered Memories I had to stick a wii game in here so Scottcr wouldn't neg me ;) Seriously though, silent hill shattered my perception of how videogames can handle certain issues and emotions within story. Funnily enough a few weeks before this I had rented heavy rain and thought it had a decent stab at the very same things mentioned above. Oh how wrong I was. Despite all the hype and attention on HR and how Silent Hill got the usual attention most third party wii games did, I'm glad people here were posting about how good the experience and story was. The atmosphere, characters and most importantly the emotions the game enveloped in the world were masterfully done. There wasn't much of a game under it all, but it didn't matter. The experience was all the better for it, it meant the gameplay didn't get in the way of the story and make it clumsy but just added greatly to how it was told. Left me thinking about it for ages afterwards and I occasionally still do. You are always in my mind.
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 No, Persona 4 did not come out this year apparently. LOL. While it didn't have the same impact as Galaxy 1 it was platforming perfection and for that alone it deserves recognition.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 It's going to be the final chapter in a series of games that are possibly my favourite from the entire generation. The last chapter of a journey that will recognise your decisions and outcomes from the last two games. It's going to be pure fuckingbadassery in space. I'm excited
  2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim This is why I'm looking forward to this so much: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=235251&view=findpost&p=7576055
  3. Project Dark A sequel to Demon Souls- and multiplatform this time so many more can see why so many adore this incredibly unique and special experience. Demon Souls was my GOTY 2009, I wouldn't be surprised if this got near to the same title next year.
  4. Batman Arkham City Goddamn batman
  5. Uncharted 3 I'm in like Flynn.

Hall of Shame

1. Me So many amazing games this year, 2010 is possibly the best year for games ever for me. Quality from start to finish with Bayonetta and ME2 leading the charge in Jan to BC2:Vietnam just coming out the other day. I'm so lazy that my backlog is insane- on one of the busiest and best gaming years to date I've probably had....no, made the least time to play the games. Of course it doesn't help that it is easy to lose so much time to online gaming like Street Fighter and whatnot, but no point being so so excited and enthusiastic about the hobby if I'm too lazy to turn on my console sometimes because I'd would end spending 30 mins reading a car crash off topic thread or the official sales thread instead. I'm sure games like Alpha Protocol and Minecraft would be on here if I had the chance to play them yet. It is nice to talk about your hobby and get excited about it, but it's good to actually practise it too you know?

1. 3DS Not out yet, but the tech behind it has my very excited.

Best Online Experience

1. Super Street Fighter IV Sugar, spice and everything nice in these friendly lobbies. And salt sometimes.
  2. Battlefield Bad Company 2 Best team based shooter to ever arrive on a console.
  3. Monster Hunter Tri Me, Valeska, Imp, Choo. Post monster kill. My giant hammer- my teammates flying. I loved it.
  4. Halo Reach The replay mode, online challenges, smooth play and co op and firefight modes make this quite a package.
  5. Demon Souls Played through the pal version online with Valeska. Was able to experience the online integration again. Just works so well, the messages and the whole terror of invasion. Excellent.

Best Use of Waggle

1. Silent Hill Shattered Memories The torch was awesome.

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon Quest IX Incredible, best little traditional RPG you can find. So polished, charming and easy to play.

Best PC Game

1. GOG.com Not a pc game a such but after the terrible PR stunt, they've actually become an insanely valuble resource and platform for older amazing games that run perfectly and cost almost nothing. They deserve a mention for that

Best PS3 Game

1. Demon Souls
  2. Yakuza 3
  3. Castlevania:LOS
  4. God of War 3
  5. Heavy Rain

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Super Street Fighter IV
  3. Fallout New Vegas
  4. Halo Reach
  5. Bayonetta

Best Wii Game

1. Silent Hill Shattered Memories
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Monster Hunter Tri
  4. Sakura Wars I'm sure you've never heard of it. It's quirky and really really weird. But that also makes it unique and pretty fun
  5. Donkey Kong Country

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy Fuck this game. It's amazing and fun and incredible and responsive and funny, but fuck it. This is why the "fuuuuuuuuu" meme was invented.
  2. Breath of Death VII Very funny little RPG that cost like 70p. Exactly the type of thing I enjoy on xbox indie games, a persons own take on a genre and mixing it up.
  3. Battlefield Vietnam This is a big fuck you to map packs. Why offer 3-4 new places to do the same shit in you've been doing for months when you can change everything- the weapons, the setting, the music- even the damn menu. Same price as a COD map pack- far more interesting, fun and value for money.
  4. Lara Croft Guardian of Light Excellent co op mode- not so excellent delay on it or the game would have been higher up on the list.
  5. Monday Night Combat Not the most appealing game on the surface, but had quite a little bit of fun with this lovely little team based defense/attackem up. Played it on tuesdays sometimes as well.

Game of the Year

1. Bayonetta
  2. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  3. Mass Effect 2
  4. Demon's Souls
  5. Limbo

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Project Dark
  2. Batman: Arkham City
  3. Dirt 3
  4. Mass Effect 3
  5. Gas: Fuel for Fun

Hall of Shame

1. Kinect Adventures - Kinect is fine but this is the most embarrassing demonstration of the hardware they could've possibly bundled.
  2. Activision
  3. Peter Molyneux - Completely sick of his bullshit.

1. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  2. Demon's Souls - For it's unique online integration.
  3. Kinect Sports
  4. Rock Band 3 - For perfecting the menu system and ease of hop in hop out gameplay.
  5. Sports Champions - Table tennis!

Best Online Experience

1. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  2. Demon's Souls
  3. Blur

Best Use of Waggle

1. Kinect Sports
  2. Sports Champions
  3. Wii Party

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

1. Demon's Souls
  2. Sports Champions

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  4. Limbo
  5. Blur

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Wii Party

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  3. Perfect Dark
  4. Battlefield Vietnam
  5. Breath of Death VII

Game of the Year

1. Minecraft
  2. Bioshock 2
  3. Alan Wake
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. Darksiders

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. The Last Guardian
  2. Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
  4. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hall of Shame

2. Dante's Inferno
  3. Aliens vs Predator
  4. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  5. Fallout: New Vegas

1. Alan Wake
  2. Vanquish
  3. God of War III

Best Mobile Game

1. Cut the Rope HD
  2. Plants vs. Zombies HD

Best PC Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Desktop Dungeons

Best PS3 Game

1. God of War III

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Alan Wake
  3. Bioshock 2
  4. Darksiders
  5. Super Meat Boy

Best Wii Game

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Metroid: Other M
  3. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Best Download-only Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Super Meat Boy
  4. Limbo
  5. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2 By an absolute country mile. Awesome game, helped by not even having the intro section spoiled for me beforehand. My first run through I was devastated by the loss of well, you know, the one who provides the reach, owing the the spiteful boasting by "why don't you put some clothes on first" Miranda, then insanity run completed, then the Ultimate run with all the DLC in which my relationship with Liara was respected and which sets the scene for the conclusion. Writing, action, variety of mission, it all comes together beautifully.
  2. Divinity II Dragon Knight saga All that glitters is not gold but the visual upgrading of the original game and bundling it with the follow on for mid price creates an excellent VFM package. Funny quests, puzzles, mindreading and your dragon ability make it a winner.
  3. Two Worlds II The team has come good with this at the cost of having to cut content to release it. A well crafted world with plenty of depth to character customisation and combat / magic.
  4. Alpha Protocol A gem of an RPG which which must have one of the most complex decision trees - and it's subtle too, after a couple of playthroughs I still have no idea how to earn some of the achievements by triggering fights or romances. Don't let the understated appearance fool you, this is worth your attention.
  5. Resonance of Fate Really enjoyed this one - rock hard combat and exploration with a novel twist even if the story is incomprehensible rubbish even by JRPG standards.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 Please please please have a section which is dependent on your having rescued the Rachni queen.
  2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Can't wait to see how this one goes gameplay wise.
  3. Deus Ex
  4. Dragon Age 2

Hall of Shame

1. Thieving neighbours
  2. Activision
  3. Peter Molyneux Not for overhyping this time around but for going too far in making combat in Fable III "accessible" - it's simply dull dull dull.
  4. Various continental publishers for dicking around with release dates and undermarketing their rather excellent games

Best Online Experience

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon Quest Ix

Best PC Game

1. GOG.com I hope they stick around since I want to download all the classics and play them in my doteage when the current glut of console RPGS dries up

Best PSP Game

1. Persona 3

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Divinity II: the dragon knight saga
  3. Two Worlds II
  4. Alpha Protocol
  5. Resonance of Fate

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Fallout New Vegas
  4. Starcraft 2
  5. Alan Wake

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. The Witcher 2
  3. Dragon Age 2 Assuming it doesn't just become ME2 with swords and Dragons and I'm slowly becoming more optimistic that won't be the case.
  4. Uncharted 3
  5. Dawn of War 2 Retribution Next year really is looking amazing, I could fill this, 3/4 times over, I even forgot ME3 first time around and had to drop Deus EX: HR and Guild Wars 2 which I'm just as excited about.

Hall of Shame

1. Final Fantasy XIV A paid for beta that amazingly makes their 7 year old MMORPG look fresh and new. It's as if the game has been made in a vacuum and the developers have paid no attention to the developments of the games and market around them.
  2. JAW and the Oddboxxx Potentially one of the worst PC ports and a CEO that did nothing to help the situation.
  3. Ubisoft For their always constant connection DRM
  4. Sniper Ghost Warrior I'm wearing a ghillie suit and in a thick bush, how can you see me from a mile away!
  5. GOG.com The service is fantastic and I would recommend them to anybody but the relaunch stunt was a step too far.

1. Metro 2033 The PC version is stunning, this should be everyone's first port of call to see what their new graphics card can really do.
  2. Castlevania: Lord of Shadows
  3. Red Dead Redemption

Best Online Experience

1. Starcraft 2
  2. COD Black Ops
  3. Super Street Fighter IV
  4. Dawn of War II Chaos Rising If you ignore the painfully slow matchmaking thanks to GFWL.

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

1. Fallout New Vegas
  2. Starcraft 2
  3. Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
  4. Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising
  5. Just Cause 2

Best PS3 Game

1. God of War 3

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Alan Wake
  4. Bayonetta
  5. Alpha Protocol

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  2. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Capitalism Ho!
  3. Puzzle Agent
  4. Chime

Game of the Year

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Limbo
  4. Mass Effect 2
  5. Fable 3

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  2. Dead Space 2
  3. Portal 2
  4. LA Noire
  5. Mass Effect 3

Hall of Shame

1. Activision
  2. Sonic 4
  3. APB

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Limbo
  4. Epic Citadel

Best Online Experience

1. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
  2. Halo Reach

Best Mobile Game

1. Cut The Rope
  2. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  3. Osmos
  4. Rage HD

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Fable 3
  5. Limbo

Best Wii Game

1. Bit.Trip Runner
  2. Goldeneye 007

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Bit.Trip Runner
  3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Game of the Year

1. Vanquish Take Marcus from Gears of War, slap the ugly out of him, jam a cigarette in the side of his mouth and tie rockets to his legs. Then make his game more concise, more fun, and a hundred times more hectic and satisfying. Add tonnes of replayability, challenge modes and style.
  2. Halo: Reach 3 was my favourite, Reach is just as good. Endlessly replayable and never allows itself to get too repetitive, introducing new things at the perfect rate.
  3. Bayonetta Finished it twice, still don't feel like I've even slightly scratched the surface. It's that kind of game. I'll be playing this for years.
  4. Heavy Rain Yes, really. Widely panned, but the facts are: 1) it's almost worth playing just for the looks and 2) it has easily the best and most tense semi-interactive action sequences (QTEs) ever done. And that means that its action scenes can be directed more specifically than a dedicated action game ever could. The scene where I was tied to the table was one of my best ever gaming highlights. I'll never play it again for the following reason: I know that it could have been so different, and to this day regret some of the decisions I made. Now that's a gravity you don't get in other games or in movies, and that's why I loved this so much.
  5. Demon's Souls Would be higher if I hadn't spoilt it for myself by getting help. What a wimp. Great, great game.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Bulletstorm
  2. Deus Ex
  3. The Last Guardian
  4. FEAR 3

Hall of Shame

1. Dead Rising 2 I loved Case Zero, and hoped that this would be more of the same; 5 or so manageble bitesize missions. To get another marathon far too similar to the superior first game was a big disappointment. And the graphics are worse, bafflingly.
  2. Red Dead Redemption Stunning first few hours, but in catering to the masses ended up far too easy, and far too repetitive and safe. The final nail for me is that travelling wasn't fun. GTA's car handling was superb, horses are dull in comparison.

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2 - By a considerable distance. Retains all the stuff that made the original great, fixed a lot of the things that rankled in the first. Superb game
  2. Vanquish - Snuck up on me, but it's a truly superb arcade game. Phenomenal.
  3. Alpha Protocol - Got it after reading the thread here. Rough around the edges but scratch the surface and there's a great game under there. A true feeling of choice, and a real sense of tension in the game.
  4. Super Meat Boy - Brilliant game. The controls are so perfect that you never feel like the game is at fault when you die.
  5. Halo: Reach - After becoming bored with Halo 3 and ODST, Reach was a breath of fresh air much needed with Halo. Added enough to make it feel new and interesting, and get me playing it online again.

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  4. Portal 2
  5. Dead Space 2

Hall of Shame

1. Activision - An embarassment.

1. Vanquish - Looks amazing, throws hundreds of things all over the screen with no slowdown as far as I can see. Amazing
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Halo: Reach - Just for Forge World
  4. Kinect

Best Online Experience

1. Halo: Reach
  2. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

1. Super Scribblenauts
  2. Professor Layton and the Lost Future
  3. Infinite Space

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

1. Football Manager 2011
  2. VVVVVV

Best PS3 Game

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Vanquish
  3. Alpha Protocol
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Halo: Reach

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Pacman CE: DX
  3. Plants vs Zombies
  4. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  5. Afterburner Climax

Game of the Year

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Heavy Rain
  4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  5. Just Cause 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Guild Wars 2
  4. Diablo 3

Hall of Shame

1. WoW's Sparkle Pony pricing
  2. Real ID on Forums
  3. Bobby Kotick
  4. Activision
  5. Fallout New Vegas Bugs

1. Just Cause 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. WoW Cataclysm

Best Online Experience

1. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Starcraft 2

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

1. Dragon Quest IX

Best Mobile Game

1. Game Dev Story

Best PC Game

1. Civilization 5
  2. WoW Cataclysm
  3. Football Manager 2011
  4. Starcraft 2

Best PS3 Game

1. Heavy Rain
  2. Gran Turismo 5
  3. Final Fantasy 13

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  4. Just Cause 2
  5. Alan Wake

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo

Game of the Year

1. Minecraft - A joy, a game that's a proper sandbox in the full meaning of the word, rather than most games that profess to be sandbox but really just let you choose between taking one of several scripted missions. It's a game made by a single guy that outdoes the industry in a huge number of attributes, and has managed to sell to a casual and core gamer audience, something that many games still struggle with.
  2. Mass Effect 2 - That the Mass Effect 2 thread has been a staple of this forum frontpage even now, despite launching in January this year shows the level of appreciation that this game enjoys. A fantastic experience from start to finish, one of the most radical reworkings of the gameplay of any franchise-in-progress and brilliant post-release support.
  3. Bayonetta - A brilliant wild crazy game that I struggle to find words for.
  4. Civilisation 5 - This game got a bit of a rough reception, but recent patches are moving it strongly in the right direction, and given the sheer hours and sleepness nights it has robbed from me, I'd be remiss not to include it.
  5. Recettear - Recettear is a nice game, but it's being included largely because many much more enjoyable games didn't fit the criteria <_<

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 - Can't wait.
  2. Portal 2 - Well, who isn't.
  3. Batman: Arkham City - Played the first this year, was a pleasant surprise - more please.
  4. Children of Eden - I need more music games.
  5. Star Wars: The Old Republic - KOTOR 3,4,5 and 6 with co-op? Hell yeah.

Hall of Shame

1. 3D with Glasses - Still not worthwhile. Fuck off and don't come back for another 25 years.
  2. Final Fantasy Franchise - The two latest entries were duff, sort it out.
  3. GT Series - Another big old franchise that seems to have hit the rocks this generation.
  4. Sonic Franchise - Say sonic is shit 420 everyday.
  5. Microtransactions - $150 on the MannCo Store to date.

Best Online Experience

1. Minecraft - playing with mukkers on a survival server is brill. Collaboratively building, clearing out caves, watching each others backs, and so on. Watch the Yogscast youtube video series for how entertaining it can be.

Best Mobile Game

1. Angry Birds
  2. Game Dev Story
  3. Cut the Rope

Best PC Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Civilisation 5

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Super Meat Boy
  4. Dead Rising: Case Zero
  5. Perfect Dark XBLA

Best Download-only Game

1. Minecraft
  2. Super Meat Boy
  3. Recettear
  4. Dead Rising: Case Zero
  5. Plants vs Zombies

Christ this was hard, most of the games I played this year were actually from 2009/2008, so there were loads that were really significant that I couldn't include, like Dragon Age, Persona 3 FES and Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Download Only category was far fuller than the actual number of candidates for GOTY that I had. Anyway, I stuck a better Top 10 list up here

I wanted to stick Team Fortress 2 in GOTY, Best Online and Best PC Game, because after the MannConomy update and the Polycount packs and the Holiday updates, it's a different game than the one in 2009, and 2008 and 2007, and its a shame I can't vote for it to reflect that.

Also MMOs, yeah, it's ok if you're WoW and can list Cataclysm, but the format prevents listing of any MMOs that didn't launch of get an expansion this year by default. Goddamn console bias <_<

Game of the Year

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood A fast-tracked sequel that was far better than it had any right to be. Numerous singleplayer advancements are topped off by a fantastic, unique multiplayer mode. It's empowering without feeling like a cakewalk, violent but not meat-headed and my favourite entry in the best new series of this generation.
  2. Mass Effect 2 I could nit-pick this game all day, but that still won't stop me buying it for the second time come January's PS3 release. An experience to share and relive, far greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Red Dead Redemption The best open world game Rockstar's ever put out. A great sense of place and character with an ending to be remembered.
  4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Most Wanted Game Of 2011

1. Mass Effect 3 The end of the trilogy, and likely the end of the line for Shepard. Whilst I have a few concerns — it would be a shame for BioWare to drop the ball now — I'm still hopeful it will be a fitting end to the story arc of the first human Spectre.
  2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception With the second game being an under-appreciated multiplayer gem I'm eager to see how Naughty Dog take things to the next level. Even if they rest on their laurels as far as the campaign goes, the chances of it being anything less than great are slim.
  3. inFAMOUS 2 The first was a bit repetitive but I loved the elasticity of Cole, the player flinging him around like an electrified gecko. This sequel certainly takes place in a more interesting environment, so as long as the missions are given a shake up I can see this being a winner.
  4. Batman: Arkham City Despite not being a card carrying Bat-fan the first game won me over completely with its mechanics, polish and clear love of the source material. Every gamer should be looking forward to this, comic book reader or not.
  5. Final Fantasy Versus XIII Whereas the other games in this list I know will be good, with this I'm more incredibly curious. Even if it's terrible I want to see it for myself.

Hall of Shame

1. Sega's Downloadable Dreamcast Ports A huge missed opportunity. Also, the lack of a proper XBLA/PSN ChuChu Rocket! is a case for the Hague.
  2. Game Blog Headlines Stop trying to make news where there isn't any.

1. God of War III Not a favourite of mine as a game, but on a technical level it's undeniably stunning.
  2. Final Fantasy XIII Perhaps 'Artistic Achievement' would be more apt. It doesn't push the most polygons or slather the screen in effects, but its presentation is gorgeous, consistent and features some stunning vistas.
  3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 A bit of a rough diamond visually — at least on console — the game's destructible environments and peerless audio are the real stars.

Best Online Experience

1. Demon's Souls Dares to be different, making online integral to the experience rather than a menu option. I also think it shows that voice chat isn't right for every game.
  2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 No other game makes you work and feel like as much of a team. It's had its fair share of network issues but they're easy to forget when you're bunkered down with your squad, buildings collapsing all around you, flaming wreckage cartwheeling overhead.
  3. Halo Reach Painless and laden with features, Bungie have once again set the standard for matchmaking.

Best Use of Waggle

Best NDS Game

Best Mobile Game

Best PC Game

Best PS3 Game

1. Demon's Souls
  2. Yakuza 3 I'm usually not a fan of Japanese melodrama but this game made me care. It's rather baffling how it manages to tie together the disparate worlds of orphanage management and street brawl face stomping, but somehow it succeeds.
  3. Resonance of Fate Bizarre and yet progressive, this is a JRPG like no other.
  4. Heavy Rain Similar to Mass Effect 2 I could pick holes in this game all day, but as a whole its a memorable, intriguing and ambitious stab at something different. Everyone should try it.
  5. Final Fantasy XIII Whilst heavily criticised and clearly mismanaged, I had a great time with this game thanks to its presentation and battle system. It tried to advance the JRPG in a very different direction to RoF and I think it had more success then most people are willing to concede.

Best PSP Game

Best Xbox 360 Game

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Red Dead Redemption
  4. Alpha Protocol An unfinished masterpiece, its dialogue system and branching consequences unlikely to be bettered for years to come.
  5. Alan Wake Likely to be remembered for what it isn't given the protracted development time, this game offers a nice spin on the over-the-shoulder shooter interwoven with an above average story and often lovely visuals.

Best Wii Game

Best Download-only Game

1. Limbo
  2. Joe Danger
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. Monday Night Combat

Edit: Tweaked a few things.