2010s Top 10 Most Pirated Films

Avatar has been named the most pirated movie of 2010.

James Cameron's record-breaking blockbuster was downloaded illegally more than 16 million times, according to website TorrentFreak. The figure is a 33% increase on the 11 million downloads for Star Trek in 2009.

Superhero movie Kick-Ass is second in the 2010 list with 11.4 million downloads, while two Leonardo DiCaprio movies - Inception and Shutter Island - chart at numbers three and four.

Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man 2 is at number five on the list and the actor's other big action movie this year, Sherlock Holmes, is the eighth most downloaded film.

The top ten list of 2010's most pirates films is as follows:

1. Avatar - 16,580,000

2. Kick-Ass - 11,400,000

3. Inception - 9,720,000

4. Shutter Island - 9,490,000

5. Iron Man 2 - 8,810,000

6. Clash Of The Titans - 8,040,000

7. Green Zone - 7,730,000

8. Sherlock Holmes - 7,160,000

9. The Hurt Locker - 6,850,000

10. Salt - 6,700,000

source http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a294447/avatar-named-2010s-most-pirated-film.html

How is this possible to even count? Sure, you get number of downloads on certain torrent sites but there is no way to factor in usenet, http downloads, streaming etc?

Just baffling really.

The figures are BS. For one thing it only counts how many times the torrent was downloaded, not the file itself. Then you have all the other things you mentioned like usenet etc. They're never going to 'beat it' so they might as well come up with a way to profit from it. Personally I think a lot of downloaders do it for the convenience more than cheapskatedness. I have a decent home cinema system, I'd pay the price of a cinema ticket to rent the film for 24 hours and watch it in my living room on the same day it released in cinemas.

The saving grace of many commonly-pirated films is their visuals, effects, sound and general all-encompassing in-your-faceness. In fact, they're not so much a film as an experience.

I know home cinema set-ups have come a long way in recent years, but even the best ones are no match for seing films like that in a proper cinema, be it Imax, 3D or just a standard multiplex big screen. I'd rather pay a bit more and get the proper effect than save a few quid and be even more underwhelmed.

I liked that idea that WB had with Harry Potter 7. They released the first 35 minutes of a screener, obviously to awards eligible people, which obviously leaked online. I think that did more to get people to go the cinema to see the film than any trailer.

The figures are BS. For one thing it only counts how many times the torrent was downloaded, not the file itself. Then you have all the other things you mentioned like usenet etc. They're never going to 'beat it' so they might as well come up with a way to profit from it. Personally I think a lot of downloaders do it for the convenience more than cheapskatedness. I have a decent home cinema system, I'd pay the price of a cinema ticket to rent the film for 24 hours and watch it in my living room on the same day it released in cinemas.

Yeah this basically. I used to DL a lot of music from Limewire etc, but since Spotify came out I've ponied up for a premium account and pretty much shelved iTunes.

Spotify is implemented so well that I'm happy to pay the cash for the convenience.

There doesn't quite seem to be an equivalent service for films yet, films seems to be at the same stage of lifecycle as music was a few years ago where the premium version isn't good enough to wean the masses off torrents.

I have a decent home cinema system, I'd pay the price of a cinema ticket to rent the film for 24 hours and watch it in my living room on the same day it released in cinemas.

If that ever does happen, is there any chance you could set up a camcorder in your livingroom and upload a copy for me?

I have a decent home cinema system, I'd pay the price of a cinema ticket to rent the film for 24 hours and watch it in my living room on the same day it released in cinemas.

A few studios are trialing something similar but I doubt it will ever be the same price as a cinema ticket because they are potentially losing money by having one ticket price for a group of people. I think they were looking at charging $30 for the service which is expensive if watching on your own but more reasonable if you have a group of 4-6 of you.

More info here.

There's also the Curzon on Demand service in which the cinema chain shows films contemporaneously with their theatrical release, and apparently makes an HD version available wherever possible. The films usually cost £7 or £8 to watch.

Unfortunately, the selection is vanishingly thin. I knew it would only feature indy/arthouse releases, but it's hardly got any of them (for example, Of Gods And Men and Catfish are currently showing at Curzon, but they're not available to view through the on demand service). Still, it's a start, I guess.

A few studios are trialing something similar but I doubt it will ever be the same price as a cinema ticket because they are potentially losing money by having one ticket price for a group of people. I think they were looking at charging $30 for the service which is expensive if watching on your own but more reasonable if you have a group of 4-6 of you.

More info here.

The $30 figure is apparently for sometime 'between' theatrical and DVD/Blu-ray release.

If you're wanting a film in the home on day of theatrical release then you're looking at $500...oh and a $20,000 one off 'startup' fee.

Don't all sign up at once!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/prima-cinema-offer-films-day-57831

The saving grace of many commonly-pirated films is their visuals, effects, sound and general all-encompassing in-your-faceness. In fact, they're not so much a film as an experience.

I know home cinema set-ups have come a long way in recent years, but even the best ones are no match for seing films like that in a proper cinema, be it Imax, 3D or just a standard multiplex big screen. I'd rather pay a bit more and get the proper effect than save a few quid and be even more underwhelmed.

Don't worry, now that they've cracked 3D in the home, I'm sure Samsung and the rest are all working hard to simulate people talking, people checking their cell phones and even people munching on popcorn loudly during any key dramatic moment.

If we're lucky they'll also find a way to simulate technical gaffs that frequently occur like buzzing speakers, the curtain not going all the way up and obscuring part of the screen or (and this was my favourite) having the image loop round so the top half was on the bottom and vice versa.

That's the experience you can't quite get at home yet.

Ray-Winstone_1495415c.jpg

...you've obviously never watched a film on a decent home cinema setup if you're saying this with any conviction. If you were to go out and drop maybe £2k you could sort yourself out with a setup that'd trounce the vast majority of cinemas setups in terms of both picture and sound quality.

IMAX is something you can't do at home and the only other real reason for going to the cinema is to see a new release. If I were able to acquire a digital download of a new cinema release there'd be very little point in going out to watch anything aside from IMAX stuff that rolls around occasionally.

...you've obviously never watched a film on a decent home cinema setup if you're saying this with any conviction. If you were to go out and drop maybe £2k you could sort yourself out with a setup that'd trounce the vast majority of cinemas setups in terms of both picture and sound quality.

My friend has an excellent set-up, with a projector and 102" (or thereabouts) screen. It was a good way to watch The Dark Knight, but I still would have preferred to see it at the cinema.

My friend has an excellent set-up, with a projector and 102" (or thereabouts) screen. It was a good way to watch The Dark Knight, but I still would have preferred to see it at the cinema.

That effectively IS a cinema... I used to have a 92" projector setup and with the sound system it easily beat out 99% of cinemas I've ever paid to sit down in.

I mean yeah, it lacked idiots talking, rustling in a bag of Minstrels, people playing with their phones and the smelly dude that always seems to sit nearby but everything else couldn't have been better.

It's true that I wouldn't complain if I had that at home, although I guess it's out of reach financially and practically for many people. I have wondered if I should start saving for such a system.

But you just can't replicate the cinema atmosphere at home. I'm not talking about the annoying things, like talking and phones, but the bouncy seats, the muzak, the dimming lights, hanging out in the cinema lobby and so on. I know that's irrelevant to a lot of people but it adds to my experience when watching blockbuster films, especially if you're with friends.

But you just can't replicate the cinema atmosphere at home. I'm not talking about the annoying things, like talking and phones, but the bouncy seats, the muzak, the dimming lights, hanging out in the cinema lobby and so on. I know that's irrelevant to a lot of people but it adds to my experience when watching blockbuster films, especially if you're with friends.

You should totally save up... You'll find it very difficult to get rid of your friends if you get a decent setup though so if you're a lonely bastard then it's the best investment everrrrrrr.

Also the only one of those you can't replicate (cheaply) is the lobby. Seating = easy, shitty muzak = easier, dimming lights = easy.

You can have things set up so that when you sit down in your newly acquired cinema seating (fuck that, a sofa is soooooo much more comfortable) press a button on your remote, the curtains in front of the screen will open, the lights will dim, the muzak will stop, the projector will fire up and your film will start playing. I used to do that shit for a living, it's awesome.

Hell I'll even sell you overpriced drinks, popcorn and sweets if you want the experience so badly!

:)

I know who to ask for advice if I do secure the funds. One issue, however, is that with three young kids, I wouldn't be able to give the system a decent workout very often.

Seriously, though, I don't know how my friend's children weren't disturbed when we watched The Dark Knight, especially during the truck chase. Maybe he gave them ear plugs. Or Valium.

If your friend happens to be the bloke who sat behind me, with his young kids, when I went to see The Dark Knight, who then spent the entire film loudly shouting things like "Who's that?", "What's happening?", "Is that Batman?" and "I'm scared!" then punch him in the cock for me next time you see him won't you.

I'm surprised that Avatar and Clash of the Titans are there, seeing as they made such a big thing about being in 3D, not replicable at home, partially as an anti-piracy measure.

But they were also shown in 2D. 3D is useless as an anti piracy measure if it's shown in 2D too. I think Tron Legacy may be the first in 3D only, so that may not appear in viewable form until a 2D screener leak or whatever. Actually, would it be possible to put some kind of filter on a camera to make it 2D? Even as simple as sticking the equivalent of a lens from the glasses on it?

But they were also shown in 2D. 3D is useless as an anti piracy measure if it's shown in 2D too. I think Tron Legacy may be the first in 3D only, so that may not appear in viewable form until a 2D screener leak or whatever. Actually, would it be possible to put some kind of filter on a camera to make it 2D? Even as simple as sticking the equivalent of a lens from the glasses on it?

Tron's available in 2D though?

I stopped pirating films at the same point that I got a 12 month free subscription to LoveFilm with my £90 blu-ray player.

I'm not entirely sure that was the result the movie industry wanted.

It depends what you do when that free subscription ends.