Dreamcast Collection

moosegrinder

I read on a blog that it will contain nearly 200 games, a video preview of the Segadrive, and a special form that you can complete with the serial number of your actual Dreamcast and your address to allow Yuji Naka to come round to your house with a massive gold belt saying “TRUE GAMER”. Your face will then be scanned, orientalised, and then digitised into the forthcoming Shenmue remake as a real life pasty mid-eighties nerd.

Doubt we'll get them, but I'd really like to see Headhunter, Illbleed, 18 Wheeler, Blue Stinger (:wub:) and Dynamite Cop.

And as mentioned above, would be great if they'd pull their finger out and start to release some Saturn games. I'd happily pay £20 each to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Die Hard Trilogy and Die Hard Arcade again. :wub:

I was about to rattle off a post like everybody else listing all the classics they could cram on this collection. Then I remembered that this is Sega, sobered up a bit and repeatedly punched myself in the balls instead.

Crazy Taxi

Rez

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Soul Calibur (Edit! Hang on, this one is Namco fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuu)

Sega Bass Fishing

Space Channel 5 Part 2

Sonic Adventure

...is what the collection will be, at best, won't it? :(

Prove me wrong, Sega, my testicles are sore.

Doubt we'll get them, but I'd really like to see Headhunter, Illbleed, 18 Wheeler, Blue Stinger (:wub:) and Dynamite Cop.

And as mentioned above, would be great if they'd pull their finger out and start to release some Saturn games. I'd happily pay £20 each to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Die Hard Trilogy and Die Hard Arcade again. :wub:

play the PS1 version on the PS3 yeah?

They announced something about this a while ago, didn’t they? And the games turned out to be something like Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi and nothing else. Maybe I dreamed it, although it seems a bit disappointingly realistic for a dream.

You didn't dream it, I started a thread when it first appeared on whatever shop was listing it, now it's just been confirmed. It won't be nothinmore than the xbla ports and maybe a couple of extra games. Given the time it takes them to make the rubbish ports they've already released, a proper compilation of new titles is unlikely.

So basically:

Sonic Adventure

Space Channel 5

Bass Fishing

Crazy Taxi

They mig get off their arse and add Chu Chu Rocket :unsure:

This is bound to be an immense let down for one simple reason: the people's expectations. You lot are expecting far too much.

Powerstone 1 and 2 - owned by Capcom and not Sega.

Shenmue - not sure if Sega owns the brand. If they do, Shenmue is hardly material for a game collection disc.

Jet Set Radio - a lot of licensed music (partially) not owned by Sega is going to be a nightmare. Look what has happened to the re-release of Crazy Taxi.

Ferrari 355 Challenge - Sega does not own the Ferrari license, end of story.

Seaman - voice of Leonard Nemoy, legal issues. Plus like Shenmue it is not game collection disc material.

Plus I think this DC Collection disc will sell much less than the Mega Drive Collection. Mega Drive games have this certain old school charm that even 'new school' gamers can appreciate: sprites are more or less always cool. Low resolution textures on blocky models however... not so much.

This is bound to be an immense let down for one simple reason: the people's expectations. You lot are expecting far too much.

Shenmue - not sure if Sega owns the brand. If they do, Shenmue is hardly material for a game collection disc.

Jet Set Radio - a lot of licensed music (partially) not owned by Sega is going to be a nightmare. Look what has happened to the re-release of Crazy Taxi.

Seaman - voice of Leonard Nemoy, legal issues. Plus like Shenmue it is not game collection disc material.

Plus I think this DC Collection disc will sell much less than the Mega Drive Collection. Mega Drive games have this certain old school charm that even 'new school' gamers can appreciate: sprites are more or less always cool. Low resolution textures on blocky models however... not so much.

Why wouldn't Sega own the rights to Shenmue? I can't think of anyone else who would? Genuine question - I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything here.

I agree it's not exactly compilation material though, and Sega being, well, Sega, wouldn't include it even if it was.

I'm going to guess and say they'll be a load of shitty ports, like Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi.

Still, if they left them "as is" graphically and stuck Live/PSN support for games like Chu Chu Rocket and Powerstone I'd be hard pushed not to buy it.

I still don't understand how Chu Chu Rocket hasn't gotten onto the downloadable markets yet. It's made for them.

Especially since the GBA version had an interface where it pretended to be online.

In fact....if Sega wanted to get a presence on Facebook Chu Chu Rocket would be ideal.

Who owns Bangaio? They should add that on, as it was on the DC, not the DS.

I'm expecting dross like Sega GT or Red Dog unfortunately.

Treasure are releasing an XBLA version of Bangai O as well as Radiant Silvergun some point next year :)

Personally Im not sure about if I should be excited for this collection or not, I bought Sonic Adventure for XBLA and although its a nice nostalgic trip the port itself is pretty poor, the colours seem to not be as vibrant as the DC version and its just a very sloppy port. I tried the demo for Crazy Taxi and that one was even worse, the colours are washed out and look dull and the controls are not like the original, add to that the music changes and its not a patch on the original. As much as I want a port of something like Jet Set Radio I dread to think what will happen in the transition, that game relies even more heavily on its music and if Sega dont have the rights to it like Crazy Taxi then that will be another butchered port :(

Shenmue won't make it due to disc space and Seaman's probably out by fault of the microphone, since it won't be shipping with one and neither PS3 or Xbox comes with one as-standard. Otherwise I'd say they're both collection material, particularly when you consider the Mega Drive collection played host to pretty much every Phantasy Star, so size certainly isn't a concern.

Slightly disappointed Sega have decided to skip a generation. There's loads of Saturn/Model 2 games which could've made for an excellent compilation. In fact, they've already released arcade-perfect conversions of Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Last Bronx and Virtua Fighter 2 under the Sega AGES brand on PS2 (Japan-only), so how much trouble would it be to bundle them onto one disc? They're certainly not wanting for quality titles from that era, and almost certainly have enough to fit the contents of a DVD or two.

Winter Heat, Athelete Kings and Sega Rally immediately spring to mind. In fact, didn't they do a conversion of Sega Rally for PS2? Anyway, it'll never happen - that's why Saturn is still so friggin' boss.

Slightly disappointed Sega have decided to skip a generation. There's loads of Saturn/Model 2 games which could've made for an excellent compilation. In fact, they've already released arcade-perfect conversions of Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Last Bronx and Virtua Fighter 2 under the Sega AGES brand on PS2 (Japan-only), so how much trouble would it be to bundle them onto one disc? They're certainly not wanting for quality titles from that era, and almost certainly have enough to fit the contents of a DVD or two.

Winter Heat, Athelete Kings and Sega Rally immediately spring to mind. In fact, didn't they do a conversion of Sega Rally for PS2? Anyway, it'll never happen - that's why Saturn is still so friggin' boss.

Japanese PS2-owning gamers would tend to disagree with most of the above complaints ;)

It's just the overseas markets that get the shaft, or maybe they just thought people over here were too cheap to pay out ~£19 a time or more for the chance to own one of these remakes.

# Vol. 01 Phantasy Star Generation 1 (August 28, 2003)

# Vol. 02 Monaco GP (August 28, 2003)

# Vol. 03 Fantasy Zone (August 28, 2003)

# Vol. 04 Space Harrier (September 25, 2003)

# Vol. 05 Golden Axe (September 25, 2003)

# Vol. 06 Bonanza Bros. (January 15, 2004)

# Vol. 07 Columns (December 18, 2003)

# Vol. 08 Virtua Racing (February 26, 2004)

# Vol. 09 Gain Ground (February 26, 2004)

# Vol. 10 Afterburner II (March 18, 2004)

# Vol. 11 Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) (Remake version plus unaltered version of the game known as Black Belt) (March 25, 2004)

# Vol. 12 Puyo Puyo Tsuu Perfect Set (May 24, 2004)

# Vol. 13 Outrun (May 27, 2004)

# Vol. 14 Alien Syndrome (July 29, 2004)

# Vol. 15 Decathlete Collection (July 29, 2004)

# Vol. 16 Virtua Fighter 2 (October 14, 2004)

# Vol. 17 Phantasy Star Generation 2 (March 24, 2005)

# Vol. 18 Dragon Force (August 18, 2005)

# Vol. 19 Fighting Vipers (April 28, 2005)

# Vol. 20 Space Harrier Complete Collection (October 27, 2005)

# Vol. 21 SEGA System 16 Collection: SDI & Quartet (October 27, 2005)

# Vol. 22 Advanced Daisenryaku: Doitsu Dengeki Sakusen (February 23, 2006)

# Vol. 23 Sega Memorial Selection (December 22, 2005)

# Vol. 24 Last Bronx (June 29, 2006)

# Vol. 25 Gunstar Heroes, Treasure Box (February 23, 2006) (also contains Dynamite Headdy and Alien Soldier)

# Vol. 26 Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade) (April 27, 2006)

# Vol. 27 Panzer Dragoon (April 27, 2006)

# Vol. 28 Tetris Collection (September 28, 2006)

# Vol. 29 Monster World Complete Collection (March 8 2007) (Also known as the Wonder Boy series)

# Vol. 30 Galaxy Force II Special Extended Edition (July 26, 2007)

# Vol. 31 Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (October 25, 2007)

# Vol. 32 Phantasy Star Complete Collection (March 27, 2008)

# Vol. 33 Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (September 11, 2008)

NiGHTS into Dreams... (02/21/08)

Sakura Taisen: Atsuki Chishio Ni (02/27/03)

Sega Rally 2006 (with a very faithful port of the Arcade original) (01/12/06)