rllmuk
Robo_1

Playstation Vita

1 hour ago, wev said:

Danganronpa v3 for less than £11 :wub:

Am near what I presume is the end of that game at the moment and it's brilliant. Much more along the quality level of the first rather than the second. And the trial mini games are a lot better this time, there's not been the frustration of that bloody logic surfing from 2.

And though I must be near the end, I still don't know exactly what's going on! I love these games....

If I want to pick up a Vita which model (secondhand) should I go for?

People seem to be a bit down on the revised model, but my mate swears by his - I'm confused!

The OLED model - this is the “fat” shape. They are so much better than the revision model which has a cheaper LCD screen. The revision model is smaller and a slightly nicer shape for holding.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen the LCD slim model in the flesh but as far as the Oled model goes I love it. I'm pretty sure the LCD model is a great little machine but I also read that it was born out of Sony cost cutting and not a 'as time goes by we can improve the system and lose things not needed/useful'  type update. Those articles may only have arisen due to Sony dropping the Oled screen mind but I don't think it was improved in any way. I might be wrong and read some bullshit articles though. Either way I can't recommend one of the two enough.

I've recently gotten a little fed up of the big TV experiences, not really sure why and it'll probably subside any day now but in the interim I've been loving my handhelds. I'm catching up with some TV or watching a bit more streaming stuff to justify my TV license and multiple subscriptions so that's probably it. Anyway I fucking love having some middling show playing that I'm watching more out of recommendation than passion but still playing through my backlog. I've been plugging away at Hollow Knight and Dead Cells on the Switch but to get my racing fix it's all about the Vita. How fucking many awesome racing games does the machine have? Ok they're mainly via PSP emulation but still, they've never looked better.

Outrun 2006 C2C. Playing this with the cpu overclock and it's the fucking pinnacle. Just amazing, 30 hours on the clock and still stuff to do. My favourite.

Wipeout Pulse. 

Burnout Legends/Dominator.

Motorstorm Arctic Edge.

Ridge Racer 2.

Gran Turismo.

Wipeout 2048. Recently went back to this and OMG is it good. Rinsed the Omega collection but this still feels fresh. Why the hell did Sony close Studio Liverpool. Fools.

Ridge Racer Vita. I know it got a lot of stick but I love it. Handles amazingly, looks stunning. Just wish they had structured it better and it had a few more tracks.

Tons more awesomeness on here but that's what I'm smashing at the minute.

Just get a Vita.

• Upvote 3

Original model advantages: OLED screen, and 3G on some models

Revised model advantages: 1GB onboard memory, and micro usb port for charging instead of proprietary cable

Whichever is more important for you, really

• Upvote 1

Top is a 2k, lower is the 1k, you can see the deeper blacks on the oled screen, and general niceness of it.

this was on the one I recently swapped a new screen onto because the touch screen was pretty badly scratched up, it’s running Henkaku Enso with an sd2vita card in, great little emulation station and as an added bonus, it plays vita games :)

CB77F592-DCE9-4645-8AA3-811273D653E7.png

• Upvote 2

There might be another factor to consider, how likely you are to encounter a corrupted memory card. Plenty of complaints about Sony's official memory cards becoming corrupted over time for no real reason, though I'm not sure if that is the same thing as total failure of the memory cards. I've not looked into it enough to figure that out. It is a big reason to hack the launch model, to avoid the problem with the memory cards by using the SD adapter instead.

5 hours ago, amc said:

Playing this with the cpu overclock and it's the fucking pinnacle. 

How do you do the overclock and what benefits does it give to C2C?

It's a hacked Vita running Adrenaline PSP. So it's basically the same as a hacked PSP with the handhelds cpu pushed to the max. Looks extra spicy on the Oled screen with a couple of choice filters turned on. Once you run at the higher clock it really helps with the game's framerate. It's not perfect but it's much improved over the stock speed.

Sorry if I gave the impression that it was the Vita itself that was OC. Although I think that can be done but I haven't looked into it.

It can, yep, but you don't see the gains you did with the PSP. Partly because a lot of Vita games are locked to a max 30fps, partly because devs worked to the machine's clocked speed, mostly because the machine was actually under clocked because Sony fretted the battery life would be laughed at by the press, so 'over' clocking it sets the PSP to rights :)

I own a 1000 and a 2000, and the original machine feels great in the hand and has dat screen. The 2000 is fine as a cheap and simple alternative, but definitely feels like a mobile phone with physical buttons designed around it.

I'd say the 2000's benefits (slightly more curved; a bit lighter & thinner; charges using a regular phone charger) aren't strong enough reasons to bother over the 1000 and its solidity, build quality and amazing screen. Both great though, as it's the Vita :)

Edit: my two, with bonus cattage

DSC_0390_1557001898265.thumb.jpg.f0889eff25848ae37ef358cc8c06c6c0.jpg

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, amc said:

It's a hacked Vita running Adrenaline PSP. So it's basically the same as a hacked PSP with the handhelds cpu pushed to the max. Looks extra spicy on the Oled screen with a couple of choice filters turned on. Once you run at the higher clock it really helps with the game's framerate. It's not perfect but it's much improved over the stock speed.

Yeah, I'm running the same. I've still no idea how to switch on any overclocking of the emulated PSP unless Adrenaline is just doing that automatically regardless? Can't see anything in the Adrenaline settings.

Launch the Adrenaline app and once you're at the PSP's menu screen, press the Vita's select button and it should bring up another menu that lets you adjust the clock speed.

• Upvote 1

Certain PSP games aren't compatible with the Vita, you couldn't directly download to the machine. You used to be able to get around this and download the PSP games by downloading them on PS3 then transferring to Vita with content manager.

I've just bought Gradius Collection  PSP, downloaded it on the PS3 and tried to transfer to Vita. Only content manager doesn't see the game, so I can't copy. Is this a known issue brought about with a firmware update? Is there a workaround? It appears on lists as it should work, but these are old.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

Just a message to promote the fact @SuperCapes is selling an OLED Vita on our very own forum (here).

Grab that, stick H-encore on it and get an SD2Vita with a whopping memory card - job done!

I have an SD2Vita adapter too which I will throw In. Firmware is 3.68 I believe! Thanks Treble! 

• Upvote 1

So the new hack for 3.69/3.70 is out

https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Trinity

I think I will give this a try this afternoon as I have some spare time, I'll let people know how it goes. 

Once it's all done they recommend you downgrade to 3.68, so guess I'll be doing that as well. Nice to have a little tech project to work on, and while I will probably not use many of the features, I might as well give it a go.

Well that was pretty painless, seems to work fine. But now I'm thinking what to do next, I'm not sure there is much I want to muck about with. I get the SD2VITA stuff would be useful. Might have a poke around at what else I can do with it. Adrenaline seems a no brainer to install I guess?

10 minutes ago, Avuncular said:

I play SNES and MD games on mine.

Is it best to go via the retroarch route then? SNES games would be good.

I've had a PCH-1000 since launch and the battery is finally giving up on me. Anyone replaced one?. Had a look at some videos and does seem quite fiddly. 
The battery itself looks cheap to purchase, around £10 from Amazon.

It could be that there's nothing wrong with the battery, I had an issue where it seemed to drain almost immediately. But I just took the battery out and reinserted it, which forces the vita to re-calibrate something or other and it's been fine since. This is after using and charging the vita pretty much every day for a couple of years. So I'd try that first.

It's easy to take apart and put back together assuming you have a screwdriver that fits.

• Upvote 1

It was much easier to replace the battery than I expected, maybe twenty minutes to do.
The only fiddly part was connecting the battery cable to the board. In the end I practiced with the older (removed) battery cable and then was able to do it. Have just put the Vita on charge fingers crossed it is an improvement. All in, cost me about £15.

Here is the kit and the Vita opened up and the older battery removed.

ZLVnjCH.jpg

nTg6zGH.jpg

Feeling chuffed that I was able to do this, was rather hesitant and even queried with some local electrical repair stores for quotes on doing the work, but pleased I decided to venture and try it myself.

• Upvote 4