Playstation Vita

is it worth having a vita if you don't have a playstation console? just bought one of the ebay refurbs for £89 but not quite sure what i'm actually going to play on the thing.. ps+ and just play "freebies" a good way to go?

And PS+ for discounts too, stuff is on sale all the time and your sub will get you another 10% off. So buy shit loads of stuff off this list:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/236209-playstation-vita/page-711#entry9713066

Doesn't everyone have a vita by now!

Going by sales numbers it seems we're the only ones that bought it :(

I've just bought one, but it came with a lot of fence sitting beforehand. I didn't want another PSP.

If shop/high street presense is anything to go by these days (and I suspect whilst a lot of you will protest it isn't, I am pretty sure it is) then the system is dead. In the 2 GAME stores I visited, they had one foot-long shelf with new games on in with a very thin selection, and underneath another shelf of pre-owned.

Everywhere else I've been, Vita is pretty much absent. Those that do still stock it, its purely the hardware only, not games at all. I would think that once the Slim stock they have sells out, they won't be getting them back in.

The momentum of the Vita will be in the hands of other territories providing games for it. And the indies.

I've just bought one, but it came with a lot of fence sitting beforehand. I didn't want another PSP.

If shop/high street presense is anything to go by these days (and I suspect whilst a lot of you will protest it isn't, I am pretty sure it is) then the system is dead. In the 2 GAME stores I visited, they had one foot-long shelf with new games on in with a very thin selection, and underneath another shelf of pre-owned.

Everywhere else I've been, Vita is pretty much absent. Those that do still stock it, its purely the hardware only, not games at all. I would think that once the Slim stock they have sells out, they won't be getting them back in.

The momentum of the Vita will be in the hands of other territories providing games for it. And the indies.

In my experience that's how its been since launch, in fact my local GAME has more of those cards you take to the counter for a code than boxed games and have stocked barely any of this years releases, of which there's been rather alot

At the moment I've got a massive list of 360 and 3DS games to play, and as much as I want a Vita, I was planning to wait until about Christmas time because I think it'll take me that long to get through my backlog. I'm planning on picking up an OLED screen one. What I'm worried about, however, is now that they've been discontinued (presumably) and Sony are just manufacturing the slim versions, retailers' stocks of OLED Vitas will start to diminish, meaning that by the time December rolls around there won't be any of these crazy deals around, like the Tesco one that was posted in the Bargains folder.

What do you guys think? Do you reckon prices will continue to lower as the months go by, or will it go the other way and will they become more expensive as they get rarer? I'd get one now if it wasn't for the fact that I know I'd be too addicted to it to play any of the unopened/unplayed games I've bought/downloaded recently. Plus I'd have to hide it from the wife...

What do you guys think? Do you reckon prices will continue to lower as the months go by, or will it go the other way and will they become more expensive as they get rarer? I'd get one now if it wasn't for the fact that I know I'd be too addicted to it to play any of the unopened/unplayed games I've bought/downloaded recently. Plus I'd have to hide it from the wife...

They stopped manufacturing the OLED ones some time ago so major retailers won't be getting any more in, and the Tesco ebay offer was a crazily good deal for what were refurbs as opposed to new stock. I doubt you're going to see much more at that sort of level.

The Vita is amazing, I'm so pleased with it that I'm almost not totally gutted that I paid £150 for mine one day before Tesco start knocking them out for £90. Oh well.

One question - Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse are fantastic, but is it possible to play all of the DLC from the PSP games on the Vita? Can I just stick it on a memory card and just copy it across, or is that just lunacy?

At the moment I've got a massive list of 360 and 3DS games to play, and as much as I want a Vita, I was planning to wait until about Christmas time because I think it'll take me that long to get through my backlog. I'm planning on picking up an OLED screen one. What I'm worried about, however, is now that they've been discontinued (presumably) and Sony are just manufacturing the slim versions, retailers' stocks of OLED Vitas will start to diminish, meaning that by the time December rolls around there won't be any of these crazy deals around, like the Tesco one that was posted in the Bargains folder.

If anything prices have gone up! As weird as this is, Asda deal last month for the pack I bought was £162. Its now £175.

Argos was one of the chepest places to get one, but now they are back up to £175. As are Amazon. MENTAL.

Shopto still seem pretty resonable though.

That's more shelf space than given to the Steam store and iOS App Store combined, but they do OK. Could be that the Vita is the cutting edge of console digital game delivery.

I think PS Plus will help the Vita in the longer term. If most PS4 owners get plus, and if most of them are wise enough to "buy" all the freebies, then every month that's a growing number of people with a growing catalogue of Vita games waiting for them, and a growing incentive to buy one.

It's working the other way round for me, sooner or later I can see myself getting a cheap PS3 if only to play all the freebies I'm accumulating.

It's a very clever scheme Sony have designed, where the longer you have one of their consoles the more attractive their others become.

I bought olliolli in the sale but it crashes 10 seconds into the tutorial, it's been out for months so surely they should have fixed it by now!

I found it was much more stable if you don't sign in to psn when it prompts you to.

I bought olliolli in the sale but it crashes 10 seconds into the tutorial, it's been out for months so surely they should have fixed it by now!

I found it was much more stable if you don't sign in to psn when it prompts you to.

That's more shelf space than given to the Steam store and iOS App Store combined, but they do OK. Could be that the Vita is the cutting edge of console digital game delivery.

In some respects your right. But the memory card price issue will always hold it back in comparision to PC downloads.

Why the fuck they went proprietary is just stupid. Memory card prices for the Vita are still obscene.No doubt its the price WE have to pay to prevent piracy.

To play Devil's Advocate for a minute, a proprietary memory card standard means they can garentee access speeds, which is kinda a big deal when you're making a game that can be run off of the card. It would be much harder to enforce a certain SD card speed class for example (AFAIK there's no capacity to read card class from the card), and then you have the issue of consumers buying the wrong card and it not working or buying slow cards and it compromising your game's playability, etc.

I mean it still sucks, but it makes sense.

Just finished Sly 1 from the Sly Trilogy. Utterly engaging game - not without some mechanics frustrations and the cutscenes are a bit ropey but I'd heartily recommend it.

The subsequent games are a far different beast from the 1st game. They're still good but it's more mission based than pure platformer if that makes sense.

That's a fair point but it doesn't explain why Vita cards cost ten times more than good quality SD cards of the same capacity.

Someone suggested that Sony weren't making much on the vita, so overpriced the memory cards? Surprised we haven't seen any cheap Chinese knock offs yet!