Playstation Vita

Robo_1

...well I hope Hotline Miami's bugs will be non-existent upon release for PSN.

Did you try the PC Beta? It's based on the build that's being used for the Vita/PS3 versions, and it's rather good.

And by rather good, I mean 'doesn't shit itself five times over the second you start it up for the first time'.

Right so Game does a £139.99 pre-owned wi-fi with free Virtua Tennis, or £149.99 new with Soul Sacrifice, Little Big Planet or Uncharted. Since I have Uncharted thanks to PS+, would the best option to be get soul sacrifice, then trade it in against something else straight away?

Either that or play it right away. It's not a bad game, and the story's pretty nifty.

Right been meaning to write this for a while...

Soul Sacrifice is ace, so far I've managed 50hrs since launch, just 'finished' single player although there are plenty of hi-rank quests and DLC left to do.

As a massive MonHun fan (450hrs on PSP versions) I think I'm qualified to say this, SS is NOT as good as MonHun on PSP. However it's a very different game it's far more focussed on short play and less slogging about. It's more than capable of giving you an engaging fight that is on a par with MonHun. Crafting isn't as good but is also not as horribly grindy. Multiplayer is as good if not better just for the fact it online as opposed to adhoc only. It's like the rinsed MonHun, took what was good about it distilled it into something that you can turn around quicker. I also like the very clear scoring system that ranks your performance make it clear how to get to First Rate and Legendary status and gives good reason for replay.

MonHunFreedom2/ Unite PSP was an easy 10 out 10 for me, with that in mind I'd say SS is an 8. Which for a first iteration is very good. I hope they get to go again.

If you have a vita you should get this game...

I hope you'll be able to do this as I was debating doing the same thing only to be put off by the way shops were wording it, they said it comes with 'a code' to download the games rather than 'codes'. I can't remember hearing of any multi-game codes in the past though so hopefully they'll all be separate.

Good point, I didn't think of that possibility. I've just fired off a quick tweet to Shahid Kamal to ask him.

The indie games you play on the Vita (think Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Guacamelee, Velocity and others ) are not the cheap-ass ones you play on your phone or tablet though.

That's true, I would have bought Guacamelee but the reports of it being incredibly hard put me off as I don't have the patience for that nowadays. Actually, aren't Hotline Miami and Spelunky both quite hard as well?

Has anyone played Epic Mickey 2? £12 is a good price but given the framerate in the Jak and Daxter port I'm worried it shares a similar fate and the original game didn't exactly receive stellar reviews.

That's true, I would have bought Guacamelee but the reports of it being incredibly hard put me off as I don't have the patience for that nowadays. Actually, aren't Hotline Miami and Spelunky both quite hard as well?.

Guacamelee isn't that hard to play or complete, but getting the platinum trophy can be quite tricky as some of the platforming sections are pure evil. It's all down to the dexterity of your fingers. Tbh if you're good at pulling off combos in Street Fighter you'll be ok with Guacamelee.

Gah, sorry for being so late replying to friend requests lately. I've not had much Vita time for a while due to other stuff keeping me busy. All accepted now. :D

Hotline Miami is apparently going to be £7.29 and I already have £6.55 in my wallet. Can I justify buying a game I already own because it's 74p? :P

I have Epic Mickey 2. It's getting a bit of a slamming critically, but put back to back with the Jak Collection it's night and day in terms of port quality. Yes, it has a few minor issues, but the entire thing seems to have been done with a certain amount of love and attention. It looks good, especially the video which is probably the best I've seen on download on Vita and almost free of the compression artefacts that blight Resistance (for example). The game itself isn't very good, and unless you know someone else with it then co-op is ad-hoc only - so I'd summarise it as a choice between great games, horrendous port (Jak Collection), bad game, terrible port (Q-Force) and deeply average game, good port (Epic Mickey 2). For £12 it's a decent buy on the store I think - but it is 3Gb so watch the memory card space. It might be a canny one to buy retail, as I suspect some of these early Vita releases might hold their value quite well, especially the kids games. Ben 10 Kart Racing seems to trade at a decent price (US version in particular), for example. Simply because about 10 cards were released to retail and most went in the bin when no-one bought them.

What are the problems with using multiple memory cards on the vita?

It needs a full shutdown when swapping them right?

Anything else to be aware of?

Yes, full shutdown, and when it restarts it has to "rebuild" its database (which takes 20 seconds). But a recent firmware update fixed a massive problem which was the icons scattering across the screen when you switched cards - so if you're looking online you might see moans about this, but it's fixed now.

I use 2 cards in one Vita with no problems. Just set up a bubble for one card and a second for the other and everything will stay where it's put. It's quite a viable strategy to buy up cheap 8Gb cards and stack them, as while there's a hassle switching, it's not bad.

Gah, sorry for being so late replying to friend requests lately. I've not had much Vita time for a while due to other stuff keeping me busy. All accepted now. :D

Hotline Miami is apparently going to be £7.29 and I already have £6.55 in my wallet. Can I justify buying a game I already own because it's 74p? :P

Just be aware that you have to add a min of £5 to your wallet to make that purchase.

I have Epic Mickey 2. It's getting a bit of a slamming critically, but put back to back with the Jak Collection it's night and day in terms of port quality. Yes, it has a few minor issues, but the entire thing seems to have been done with a certain amount of love and attention

Cheers. I'll pass that on.

I'm having a scout for it in the shops today because I'm really sad. Probably hard to find since the shops hardly stick vita stuff these days.

While it takes up 3gb, if you do get it on a cart...the Save games goes on the cart, so you don't need a memory card. Just saying, since we were discussing that it's a shame less games do that. If you're getting a kid a cheap vita, it's not a bad thing to get with it if you don't want to get memory yet.

The buzz on GAF is that Moto GP 13 for the Vita is a very creditable port, if you are into that sort of thing. It has all the features of the big console versions. I think it's not for me, looks too technical, but EG quite liked it.

Epic Mickey 2 is £16 in Game.Sony is really pushing their own store. Sky Cooper costs a fiver more too and that doesn't even get you the ps3 version

Back of the box says EM2 needs a bit of memory for the save but in pretty sure that it shouldn't :/

MonHunFreedom2/ Unite PSP was an easy 10 out 10 for me, with that in mind I'd say SS is an 8. Which for a first iteration is very good. I hope they get to go again.

If you have a vita you should get this game...

I've played a few hours of Soul Sacrifice and agree with what Quexex wrote. It's really a trimmed-down MonHun. Less faffing around. More focused on the core action components (i.e. the boss fights), less grindy crafting but still extremely customisable, very pretty and slick.

I'd recommend it if you're after that part of the MonHun experience.

So Epic Mickey 2... Is the game really shit then, or it is it just a bit of an average platformer that's fit to waste a few hours with?

It's not shit, no. It's just odd. Some bits are crafted with real care and attention, other bits look like they were put together in 5 minutes by a work experience student. It's never terrible and if you love Disney and its heritage that will certainly help, it just doesn't ever really click together into anything greater than the sum of its parts. It is fairly dull, the camera isn't brilliant, the platforming spotty and the environments often badly designed and the lack of co-op will hurt. But it's also £12, can look fantastic, is steeped in Disney lore and occasionally has some surprisingly creative sections. I'd say it's a solid buy if you're even half tempted.

I found Epic Mickey 2 to be dull and uninspiring. It was totally devoid of the magic that you'd come to expect with Disney. It came across that they tried to force some kind of Disneyness into the game and it came across as disjointed.

It could have been much better, but in the end it was just super dull.