IGNORED

Playstation Vita

Robo_1

Yeah I think they've played it quite well putting the demo on PSN from day one (well... bar the weekend technical problems) I think most people will have downloaded it, and be hungry for more. A game that had it hit launch may well have been overlooked will now I suspect do some pretty big numbers as a result. Y'know hopefully because it's good. But even if it's not a 90%-er I think it'll sell well.

On the mainland strange things are happening with the Unit 13 demo. I wanted to play it after the feedback in the thread, but I couldn't find it. When searching it directly it showed up and I downloaded it, and it was in French. Now my French is good enough to understand the stuff that's going on, but over here in Dutchland we're used to getting the English versions of games/demos. And if you don't type 'Unit 13' in the search field, it won't show up in the first place.

Sadly, hardware wise, it doesn't appear Vita got off to all too hot a start in the UK.

PS Vita UK launch sales 'around one quarter' of PSP debut - http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/PlayStation+Vita/news.asp?c=38346

Disappointing, I hope the unit will be a slow burner. I couldn't care less about sales figures in itself, but publisher support is crucial.

I wonder what their 'system seller' will be. With the PSP it was Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy wasn't it? It really works that way in Japan. The one big thing the system has is its power. The reason the PS3 held up in Japan is because of Wii's lack of power. Devs want to develop on a powerful machine and the PS3 was the only option. They are kind of in a similar place with the Vita. Its a lot more powerful than the 3DS and therefore can stand on its own. In the West there is not even a '360' console alongside it to tempt people away. For a powerhouse handheld it has no rival.

I do agree with those who have said that its not, at the moment at least a casual console in any way shape or form.

Remember that when the PSP came out it was an astonishing piece of kit. It sold in huge numbers thanks to its shiny factor and its ability to play movies on train journeys. Something that was very rare at the time and very tempting to the playstation casual suits. This is just not the case anymore. They've all got iPads, iPhones and Android Tablets.

This HAS to sell to gamers for at least 2 years until the price is half what it is now. Are there enough gamers to support it? With the positive reaction to it so far there should be. I am sure that a lot more people will be buying one thanks to its positive feedback in the coming weeks. Whether this is enough of a market to keep it at the top of the pack is another matter.

I really hope it stays there.

This HAS to sell to gamers for at least 2 years until the price is half what it is now. Are there enough gamers to support it? With the positive reaction to it so far there should be. I am sure that a lot more people will be buying one thanks to its positive feedback in the coming weeks. Whether this is enough of a market to keep it at the top of the pack is another matter.

I really hope it stays there.

Even if it doesn't sell as much hardware compared to when the casuals are all over it, keep in mind that the gamers, guys like everybody in this thread, do buy a stupid amount of games if they like a console. Hopefully this will mean that the software is massively profitable on the Vita, leading to ever increasing publisher support. Like Nap, I don't care about sales figures in a format wars kinda way, I just want to see as many quality games on this amazing new platform that I really like.

Motorstorm RC question.

What view are you folks using? Aerial? I ask because I can't seem to use any other one without jamming into walls the whole time? Have you just got to memorise the course or something as there is no map?

Or am I just being cack?

It reminds me of Dreamcast and is the least 'casual friendly' system from a major manufacturer since.

I don't think it needs to be a roaring mainstream success to be sustainable; PS3 and 360 proved much better homes for most third party games than Wii despite not being able to compete in consoles sold. With a bit of luck Vita will prove a solid alternative for developers whose software isn't a natural fit with the Nintendo audience.

I just hope Sony have managed to avoid making it easy to use as a home brew / pirate machine this time around. PSP may have sold 70m but outside of Japan, its software died a death at retail several years ago.

So my starter kit turned up from HMV today. Quite a nice bit of kit for £20 but I'm not sure that two cases were neccesary, the hard leather case is lovely though and the pouch is nice too but I'm not sure why I'd need both? 4gb card like the US version might have been more useful instead of two cases?

Card case is going to be useful too I think - has let me put the game boxes away for now.

Twas a little cheap of Sony not to include the pouch and strap with the machine mind.

I find Motorstorm most fun in the dynamic view although I seem to get the best times on the ariel one.

So I have to go into the store & check the list of special offers manually?

Its good that they have that but it would be better if I could add games to a wish list & then recieve a little notification when the price changes.

Eurogamer usually do a weekly PSN update list with all of the discounted games, special offers, etc, psp included. I still have a fair few psp games that I can't transfer over to my vita yet. Impulse buys aren't always a good thing if you look at the ratio of games I brought/played on my Go.

A 4GB card is not useful at all.

I disagree - its fine for game saves and a few small dowloadble games (for which there really should have been system memory for given you can't even play the likes of Uncharted without a memorycard, which is a big ommission really). I'm not hugely into digital distribution - I tend to play my games and then trade them so I'm not really feeling the need to pay almost the same price and have no residual value to my purchase and I could fit enough of the PSN only games that I'm actually playing at one time and my saves on a 4 gig card quite easily so I doubt I'll be buying any retail games unless they are download only (remains to be seen how big Gravity Daze and future download only games will be).

A 4gb card would have been fine for my needs for now then with the little game case the starter kit comes with - I always travel with a bag anyway so its no real issue for me to carry the case and switch the cards where needed.

I got a 8gb card becuase of the amazon deal but otherwise I'd have probably only have bought a 4gb to start with myself - and a 8gb and 4gb card and a case to keep them safe in a bag would be fine for my needs for quite some time I suspect.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be using the console this way...

Well I did that account swap trick mentioned earlier in the thread and am now happily using Netflix on my UK account, add to this the unblock us dbs settings and I have all the us content. I am a very happy man :-D

What does it actually delete? Just your settings?