Playstation Vita

Thanks Treble (edit: and esar). I was just concerned I might need to connect it to a PS3 to d/l stuff or something. I assume if I want to d/l I can connect to a PC and go to the Playstation store that way? Like I said, sorry about dimwitted questions,

Also, and this is important. If I go to a shop, do I ask for a Playstation VEETA or VIYTA? I'd hate to look or sound like a total newb.

Edited by multiClunk

my nephews, 7 and 10, were ecstatic after getting 3DSs for xmas. all their friends have one. last week i asked them if they wanted a ps vita. they asked what that was.

these markets don't overlap much, i feel, except for us 'enthusiasts'

Given the huge DS sales numbers, I think it's pretty clear that the markets are perfectly capable of overlapping - if the right software is in place. The mass market really couldn't give a toss about the hardware per se - they will buy for the right software (whatever that may be in their eyes).

People who try to put the hardware in buckets are generally the same people who try to argue that Call of Duty is somehow more mature than Mario Kart.

can i ask:

has anyone had a dead/stuck/lit pixel?

Nope. It was the first thing I checked and mine was fine, I've not seen anyone else on here or gaf post about it either.

When it comes to the iphone/ipad debate all I'm gonna mention is GTA. Sorry but GTA on iOS is fucking dire, touch controls all over the screen make it an absolute dog to play. Handheld devices without physical controls will NEVER replace proper handheld consoles that are designed for gaming.

Sure iOS has its fair share of quality games but they will always be limited by the lack of controls.

Thanks Treble (edit: and esar). I was just concerned I might need to connect it to a PS3 to d/l stuff or something. I assume if I want to d/l I can connect to a PC and go to the Playstation store that way? Like I said, sorry about dimwitted questions

I'm not sure about the PSN -> PC -> Vita route to be honest. Do you not have a wifi connection? If not, you could always run down to your closest coffee shop with free wifi when you wanted to grab stuff! Seriously, though, there must be a way. I know you can grab updates via the PC, so surely it's doable with games (?)

Also, and this is important. If I go to a shop, do I ask for a Playstation VEETA or VIYTA? I'd hate to look or sound like a total newb.

Lol, I actually have no idea! I've been saying VEETA but haven't watched enough play videos of annoying yank teens (or IGN) to get a proper bead on it :lol:

Nope. It was the first thing I checked and mine was fine, I've not seen anyone else on here or gaf post about it either.

When it comes to the iphone/ipad debate all I'm gonna mention is GTA. Sorry but GTA on iOS is fucking dire, touch controls all over the screen make it an absolute dog to play. Handheld devices without physical controls will NEVER replace proper handheld consoles that are designed for gaming.

Sure iOS has its fair share of quality games but they will always be limited by the lack of controls.

the issue is that the market will decide this - it will be mainly first and second parties that will be developing for the dedicated handhelds. If EA can shite out a cheap port of a big console franchise and sell it at a huge profit for a fiver - why would they bother taking a risk and investing big console development money to put a game on a handheld. So, regardless of how much we as gaming enthusiasts bleat about lack of controls - the publishers will go where the easiest money is to be made. Brucie had a point, if it's good enough for most of the people (folks still going OMG GTA ON A PHONE), then it's good enough - and us gaming snobs are an irrelevance...

Quick PSP game question; what is the difference between Metal Gear Portable Ops & Metal Gear Portable Ops +, the description doesn't seem to tell me & the file sizes differ by over 200MB?

Also is Peace Walker not on the store or am I blind?

Quick PSP game question; what is the difference between Metal Gear Portable Ops & Metal Gear Portable Ops +, the description doesn't seem to tell me & the file sizes differ by over 200MB?

Also is Peace Walker not on the store or am I blind?

You're blind, Peace Walker is there :) The difference between PO and PO+ is that PO+ has no single player story but more multiplayer options and 'skirmish' like missions. Go for the original imho.

If you download Peace Walker to the Vita, does it have support for the 2nd stick? I'm assuming not - but... if it did........

Yes you can! Hold your finger on the screen when the game is running and you can assign the second stick to the face buttons :)

Now there HAS to be a GTA game for the Vita...even if it was an update of 3/Vice and SA.

If you download Peace Walker to the Vita, does it have support for the 2nd stick? I'm assuming not - but... if it did........

It does support the second stick. I spent time with that and Phantasy Star Portable 2 last night, both run brilliantly on Vita with the second stick adding more to both games.

This system is a great piece of kit, the screen really is gorgeous and the games so far have been of a real high quality. Virtua Tennis 4, Super Stardust Delta and WipEout are my picks so far. Still to play Mutant Blobs Attack and Escape Plan.

You're blind, Peace Walker is there :) The difference between PO and PO+ is that PO+ has no single player story but more multiplayer options and 'skirmish' like missions. Go for the original imho.

I've just checked again, its not under M or P ( bear in mind I'm on the store on my Vita ( UK ) )??

I'm not sure about the PSN -> PC -> Vita route to be honest. Do you not have a wifi connection? If not, you could always run down to your closest coffee shop with free wifi when you wanted to grab stuff! Seriously, though, there must be a way. I know you can grab updates via the PC, so surely it's doable with games (?)

Lol, I actually have no idea! I've been saying VEETA but haven't watched enough play videos of annoying yank teens (or IGN) to get a proper bead on it :lol:

Yes I've got a wifi connection at home. Like a proper dipshit, it hadn't occured to me that I could connect directly via the machine. Thanks for the help. I'll be off to the shops this weekend to ask for a Veeta, Viyta, new PSP.

Quite excited now.

Where's that T@G app? I don't seem to be able to find it on the system or on the PSN store.

I want to, like, totally, like you'know T@G up da streetz bruvs. :sherlock:

Ah piss "t@g will be available to download for free from PlayStation Store in May 2012;"

well if so I am a 41 yr old kid... actually that is confirmed :)

Nintendo franchises appeal to a massive range of ages and are very family friendly. That is their market

The Vita's market is tougher aimed at a narrower demographic...

I was simply saying Vita was a fantastic peice of hardware and if it doesnt succeed then noone will in that narrower demopgraphic.

i don't disagree at all. i was just dismayed* that they - as kids - hadn't even heard of it.

*I hate sony after the whole geohot thing. but i like the vita. emotionally traumatic as you can imagine

Given the huge DS sales numbers, I think it's pretty clear that the markets are perfectly capable of overlapping - if the right software is in place. The mass market really couldn't give a toss about the hardware per se - they will buy for the right software (whatever that may be in their eyes).

People who try to put the hardware in buckets are generally the same people who try to argue that Call of Duty is somehow more mature than Mario Kart.

now that's just bitchy! i say something you dislike == i love COD >> holy mario. might as well call me a cunt and get it over with :-)

the PSP never felt like something you could risk taking out. it was too heavy, precious. the DS lite felt like it could get tossed about, whatever, it'll still work happily. the PSP just felt like too much for a handheld on the go. it lacked the feeling of robustness (ie working under stress).

i would argue that was one reason it didn't really take off. in which case the public could give a stuff about hardware. not to invaldate your point about software being king tho.

and for heaven's sake next time please don't be so rude as to accuse me of being a CODlover. there's really no need for language like that here :-)

I don't really separate 'adult-rated/themed' games and 'family friendly franchises' - they're all games to me... and both platforms will be offering up great games that will appeal across a wide spectrum.

But anyway, that was me just being me - my main point being is that, for the sake of THE FUTURE OF GAMING, I want both the Vita and 3DS to be successful and promote healthy competition between them. We'll be worse off as gamers if they both really are the last roll of the dice in this market.

i agree with all you said. but i'd like them both to succeed for the selfish reason that the games they make will be quite different and i like both 'sorts'. i was just shocked that kids hadn't heard of the vita. maybe it's my nephews (doubt it), maybe it's the price. or maybe it's shades of whatever killed the PSP. I hope sony get it right this time wrt marketing and pricing (obv they're doing well with sw).

Just spotted my first slight 'nick' in the screen. It is tiny, but my eyes are now completely drawn to it. Had kept it in a cheap PSP case, but off to buy a screen protector now.

Give it a couple of days to get used to it, it won't bother you in the least by then.

I was going to wait on getting a Vita until there were more games that appealed to me, but having tried just one in Game today I liked what i saw with the Gravity switching action/adventure game & the version of Katamari where you can change the shape of the Katmari with the Backtouch. Add in the 2nd stick really adding to both games as well & my resolve is crumbling.

So I noticed the Bluetooth icon in the corner next to the Wifi one. How long before we get Voice Chat (unless it's already in and I've been living under a rock. A rock with no internet).

I think that Party app already has voice chat and can use a BT headset. Not tried it though yet.