Robo_1

Playstation Vita

I still find it amazing that sony, microsoft and nintendo haven't hired away some of these well known hackers to help in developing protection for their next generation of devices. it would be along the same lines as security companies hiring reformed thieves (which happens quite often).

Or just accept it'll be cracked eventually and get on with it!

Every year it takes to get a system playing pirate games is a year you can tell your publishing partners "Hey! Our system doesn't allow the playing of pirate games!".

Don't underestimate the power of Playstation keeping EA and Activision happy. If the PSP2 comes out and there's a roaring trade in pirate games a week later it'll get dumped faster than a Virtua Boy at an epilepsy clinic.

• Upvote 2

I still find it amazing that sony, microsoft and nintendo haven't hired away some of these well known hackers to help in developing protection for their next generation of devices. it would be along the same lines as security companies hiring reformed thieves (which happens quite often).

I'm certain they do, but it's not something you want to make a big noise about. "Hey kids! Free job if you allow the illegitimate execution of unsigned code on our platform!".

It's not hard to understand, they do it constantly, Sony is painfully in love with proprietary formats, though after decades of these being miserable failures, they might have learnt something.

Why wouldn't you want to be in control of a format and therefore decide who can use it and how much they have to pay to use it? As a business practice it's sound, but only if it works.

Betamax is an interesting one, it failed to take off as a home format, but did very well in its pro-derived version, Betacam, a bit like the path Minidisc also took.

Is Sony the only company to continually try to enforce adoption of home-grown inventions?, not really, their nearest rival in the games market has a fairly long history of attempting similar things, with similar levels of success, even the likes of Intel attempt such things, BTX motherboards? :lol: shame about that one, I thought it was a great idea myself.

MiniDisc was a success in my opinion. It was widely used by many for several years before newer technology made it redundant.

And UMD is essentially a subset of Minidisc, which meant that using it in PSP had many benefits for Sony.

Betamax is an interesting one, it failed to take off as a home format, but did very well in its pro-derived version, Betacam, a bit like the path Minidisc also took.

Is Sony the only company to continually try to enforce adoption of home-grown inventions?, not really, their nearest rival in the games market has a fairly long history of attempting similar things, with similar levels of success, even the likes of Intel attempt such things, BTX motherboards? :lol: shame about that one, I thought it was a great idea myself.

Anyone remember when, who was it, Universal bought the rights to the Flipper Box DVD case format for 80 years and was going to leverage it in such a way that they'd control shelf dimensions in video stores and force everyone else to license the boxes back from them?

Edit- ah, it was the Warner snapper case format.

I'm really really really looking forward to the PSP2 - not exactly with the intent of buying one asap, but to see how they handle the launch of a truly new console shipped by a company formerly engineering-driven to one (hopefully) software-driven.

Backwards compatibility with the UMD would be an enormous plus in my book.

If they can integrate:

* a decent webbrowser

* support for epub's/PDF's

* Skype (video)chat

* DLNA client for easier mediamanagement

* universal photoviewing-client for Flickr, Picasa & FB accounts

* last.fm-like client

....I'd say they're on their way to Something Interesting Again

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the PSP2. Really looking forward. It sounds like something I'll dig. I just hope that I'll have the money for one when it comes out.

I'm looking forward to the graphics the games on PSP 2 will have, you can bet your ass if Nintendo have Gamecube/Wii quality graphics on 3DS that Sony will trump it one higher with 360/PS3 quality graphics.

I don't think a big screen is a good idea anymore, it's great for gaming but when you want to use it for other things (like an MP3 player) it doesn't seem as much of a realistic option.

I think two analogue sticks are a given, but it should have L2 and R2 as well. Then it would be a perfect Playstation handheld.

I never had a problem with UMD, I don't understand why people do. It's comparable to any cartridge media Nintendo invent solely for use with their handhelds. I think they should definitely incorporate UMD into the PSP 2, even if they don't sell PSP 2 games on the format. Atleast it will be backward compatible and keep the movies/games software circulating.

• Upvote 1

not to be a "debbie downer" but you probably won't see any umd movies other than ones from sony and their affiliate's studios

the licensing costs were so high, that none of the other studios made any money from the umd movies (plus once people created applications allowing you to convert your own from dvd, imo it was much better than paying 20-30usd for something that was cropped and not shown in its original proper aspect ratio).

with the advent of most dvd's offering a bundle with a digital version on board, it's probably just as easy to copy the file to a memory stick. sony just needs to provide the software to convert it from 720x480 to whatever resolution the psp2 will be (or have a built-in codec) to handle the file rather than convert it to something like the .mp4 format that the psp relied upon.

edited (added 11.7% more info)

I can't see a UMD drive being included in the PSP2 in a million years.

If the machine is as powerful as the rumours suggest then battery life will be at a premium.

I'm hoping that it will be compatible with PSN downloaded games...I think that is the best we will get.

UMD made some sense when Sony introduced it in 2004, but I don't see any point in 2011. There's no point having to deal with the many downsides of an optical format, especially on a portable, when 2gb memory cards are only a couple of quid.

The PSP2 running Android would make sense, especially if it means they can share DLC content with the Xperia Play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know, the PSP Go was Sony's pre-PSP2 experiment to see if people would adopt a physical-media-less games console and it failed miserably. People like buying tiny discs and cartridges. The PSP Go if anything is evidence that Sony won't ship a system without physical media for another 2000 years.

Personally I'd rather a UMD/download combination like the current PSP, however, I thought that the pricing of the PSPgo (more expensive than the regular system that could also run the exact same downloads AND UMD) was a contributing factor.

There's no way the PSP 2 will run Android. It will have a Sony developed XMB with brand new security.

I think a UMD drive makes sense. As I said before, they don't have to put their games on the format. If they don't include one, all the software floating about is going to be completely redundant and buried. It would raise the cost of the machine slightly but atleast they will have backward-compatibility as a selling factor and keep the previous software in circulation in the shops. It's one thing Nintendo are aware of and have done well by it.

I think its entirely possible that PSP 2 games will be on UMD, but the disc encased will be of bigger medium.

• Upvote 2

Hm, maybe "memory card" is reserved for flash memory.

Anyway, what I intended to mean is that PSP2 games will be released on cartridges that you can buy in-store.

Anyway, what I intended to mean is that PSP2 games will be released on cartridges that you can buy in-store.

That's been all but confirmed in the recent leaks. Sony want to keep retail happy, so there will be a physical versions of games, as well as PSN downloads. This is almost certain to be a flash card of some description.

Hm, maybe "memory card" is reserved for flash memory.

What's the difference to UMDs that you can buy in-store?

UMD is fine, just because it's a compatible medium or because it contains a disc and isn't a cartrdige or what?

What's the difference to UMDs that you can buy in-store?

Because UMD is optical media whereas cartridges are solid-state (i.e. no moving parts).

The reason I doubt they will use UMD is because disk space is comparatively low and fixed, the cost of memory has dropped, developing and manufacturing new UMD tech would be a considerable expense, optical media uses significantly more power and has seek times (requiring loading screens), and a UMD drive is physically quite large in size. Sony will still want an in-store presence, which would put them off scrapping all media completely, especially after seeing the PSP Go bomb.

Backwards compatibility is nice, but I simply don't see trade-offs as worth it. If the PSP used DS-like cartridges then it would make perfect sense.

Because UMD is optical media whereas cartridges are solid-state.

The last thing the PSP2 needs is cutting edge specs, hampered by long loading times and the battery draining result of an optical drive. Solid state all the way, baby.

I think Sony pretty well dealt with that when they doubled the PSP's RAM to allow devs to just cache the shit out of everything and use the drive a lot less. I'd be unsurprised if the PSP2 provided part of its onboard flash memory as a similar, cheaper cache, in the manner of the Xbox, 360 and PS3.

Every year it takes to get a system playing pirate games is a year you can tell your publishing partners "Hey! Our system doesn't allow the playing of pirate games!".

Don't underestimate the power of Playstation keeping EA and Activision happy. If the PSP2 comes out and there's a roaring trade in pirate games a week later it'll get dumped faster than a Virtua Boy at an epilepsy clinic.

It's quite telling you said 'years'! Sony did an amazing job keeping the PS3 clean for so long though.

I think Sony pretty well dealt with that when they doubled the PSP's RAM to allow devs to just cache the shit out of everything and use the drive a lot less. I'd be unsurprised if the PSP2 provided part of its onboard flash memory as a similar, cheaper cache, in the manner of the Xbox, 360 and PS3.

There is still a world of difference in speed between games loading on UMD and from flash. Whenever I'm low on storage space on my 8GB memory stick duo, the first thing to go is the GT install (which installs the entire game, Xbox style). The different in load times when reading from UMD is huge.

"As powerful as a PS3"

I wonder if this is just pre release hype, if not wow. I have to say the one thing about the 3ds that is killing hype for me is apart from resi and street fighter the games look a bit meh.

• Downvote 1

If they can integrate:

* a decent webbrowser

* support for epub's/PDF's

* Skype (video)chat

* DLNA client for easier mediamanagement

* universal photoviewing-client for Flickr, Picasa & FB accounts

* last.fm-like client

....I'd say they're on their way to Something Interesting Again

Get an iPhone/iPod Touch. They do all of those things.