Robo_1

Playstation Vita

What are the chances of this being 3D? In any case, I'd go for one of these - one of the things which appeals is that it'll be the first console to offer every game as a download from the off. If they added touchscreen and the option to use a SIM it'd be the perfect all-in-one multimedia/gaming/online device. Being able to use Lovefilm, iplayer etc. on the move would be great.

• Downvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled 3D out of the bag. They've made noises that it's not a tech they're pursuing, but I imagine they'll be keeping an eye on just how much it drives sales of the 3DS.

I don't think they'll go 3D with this device, not to begin with at least. They are selling 3DTVs that require glasses, they won't be sending out mixed messages on 3D just yet.

I love my PSP, it's one of my favourite consoles of all time, yet the 3DS is something I want more than a PSP2 :unsure:

They are pushing 3D in the home though and if they made PSP2 3D too then they'd only be reinforcing the message. They have a real chance here to beat Nintendo as their own game. If they offer touchscreen too, in addition to the touchpad on the back of he unit - then it pretty much beats everything on the market from a technical standpoint. Last time around DS really disrupted the market but this time everyone knows what to expect. This is Sony's chance. Not having 3D could make them pay if the 3DS takes off massively. Offering 3D movies too would be a massive boon.

They are pushing 3D in the home though and if they made PSP2 3D too then they'd only be reinforcing the message. They have a real chance here to beat Nintendo as their own game. If they offer touchscreen too, in addition to the touchpad on the back of he unit - then it pretty much beats everything on the market from a technical standpoint. Last time around DS really disrupted the market but this time everyone knows what to expect. This is Sony's chance. Not having 3D could make them pay if the 3DS takes off massively. Offering 3D movies too would be a massive boon.

I agree it makes sense, that is why it won't happen. Sony will have it in their heads that offering 3D with a glasses free offering conflicts with other products. I doubt it'll even have a touch screen. Touch pad on the back could be cool for non gaming apps.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Nintendo have shown their hand with the 3DS, which puts Sony in an advantageous position when planning their strategy with PSP2. If they added a 3D screen, then they've got all their bases covered. The question is, are they prepared to invest in the screen tech, and have the graphical fidelity of the games take a hit as a result of needing to process 3D.

My gut tells me they won't do it, but on the other hand, they're not a company who like being behind on a technical footing, and if nothing else, I imagine any announcement that PSP2 will support a 3D screen, could seriously mess with the 3DS's launch, provided they didn't slap it with a ridiculous price tag.

Portable PS3 like gaming?

Why hasn't Sony learned that very few people want to play twin stick shooters when on the bus/ train?

Unless it's hacked to play emulated machines, it will tank.

I'd be interested in a twin stick FPS that I could play online while lying on the sofa whist my wife watches telly.

• Upvote 3

I was a latecomer to the PSP, It never really interested me but I bought a Go earlier this year for Valkyria Chronicles 2. After that, Peace Walker and Tactics Ogre I'm definitely interested in the next one.

I'd be interested in a twin stick FPS that I could play online while lying on the sofa whist my wife watches telly.

For me that's the big appeal. Playing traditional console experiences on the couch, without having to hog the TV, whilst having the simpler PSN style games to mess around with on the train etc. Give it Android and a solid web browser, and I can see it being a really well rounded device.

That'll be Zeus, then. If they can get the price right. I'm convinced that RRPs for phones are comically inflated to make mobile contracts look like good value. There's no reason why £150 should buy a really capable gaming handheld or completely crappy phone, after all. However I could see the Zeus costing £600+ to justify the £400+ prices of the "vanilla" S-E phones.

I don't want another phone, but I'd be interested in a properly high spec'd PSP2 with decent stick stick controls.

I'd like a proper mini console that doesn't need a TV (I've got an iPhone for simple games). I don't particularly care about portability (I'd never take it anywhere), so my ideal PSP2 would be big enough to hold comfortably.

Basically, give me something 360 controller sized with a screen attached, and I'd be happy.

It won't be that though. It will be too thin and uncomfortable to hold for long periods.

The PSPhone may not share tech with the PSP2 in the first place, even if it was on the same hardware level, it still has to run a fat resource hungry OS which would make it difficult to have it perform at the same level as a dedicated gaming device like the PSP2, just look at what was possible with a fairly low spec PC when you stripped out the bulky OS and then try running the equivalent game on a normal Windows PC with that tech spec.

That'd be an odd time to reveal it, it'd be about as far away from a games conference and all the corresponding hype and publisher reveals as they could possibly muster. Maybe that's the point, though, make themselves the centre of attention and have control over what software's on display.

I may be talking shit but I think Sony have kind of lost it. They used to be really cool. Now they make mostly average TV's, not-very-good phones with Ericsson. They are bad at interfaces & software IMO. And despite the PS3 being a cool piece of kit it just seems a bit disappointing really.

So I really, really, really hope that they are going to kill it with the PSP2. I want master Sony back. No more pissing about, show the world how to do awesome.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Having a dual-stick high-res games system announcement just weeks before a dual-stick high-res touchscreen games phone announcement and making them completely different platforms is pure Sony, mind. I look forward to the "My PSPphone don't play PSP2 games look like ass WTF" user reviews on the web.

They aren't hard to differentiate, the phone is supposed to be called the Xperia Play.

I don't see how it's any more confusing then there being different models of iPhones all with different capabilities and compatibilities.

This is starting to sound interesting.

Equivalent power to PS3, HD screen, dual sticks, out in Q4, Sony specifically requesting deep games, and in terms of processing power PSP2 is to 3DS as PSP was to DS.

Yikes.

Won't that screw battery power? The more powerful these systems get the bigger the drain on the battery, even the 3DS appears to have been effected with some sites reporting 3 hours so just what will this PS3 hybrid offer? 30 minutes to an hour :o

There has to be an element of SONYLOL in there. It's been a while since that phrase has been broken out.

It's probably the case that you have to have the console plugged into the mains at all times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The iOS platform's like PC gaming, where if you have a more recent phone the game will play better, and if you have an old one it'll play more poorly, or not at all. There's a nice, clear linear progression, and each release is separated by a year. The press is only hyping exactly one iPhone generation at a time.

Trying to launch two gaming platforms that're both portable PlayStations with very similar controllers, but entirely different capabilities, simultaneously, is something else entirely. The press will be talking about one new PlayStation gizmo one week and a completely distinct but very similar one the next. One of them is going to suffer, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the PSP Phone.

I'm not sure what'd be worse for the situation, if the PSP2 has 3G or if it doesn't have 3G. It might come across like Nokia's comical range of 5800 descendants, where you could get a phone with 3G but no GPS, or wifi and GPS but a worse camera.

It also reeks of the "old Sony" where rival groups were constantly fighting with each other and there was no overall brand strategy. The Sony that had its consumer electronics unit building a handheld PlayStation that was shit-canned the minute the PlayStation unit got wind of it. Really, look at this, you've got the next generation of PlayStation handheld, and the triumphant arrival of PlayStation on the Android platform. Why the hell aren't these the same events? Is it even remotely plausible that someone important in PlayStation will be around to help launch the Xperia Play to the media?

• Upvote 1

Just to re-clarify, I don't think it's an issue that it's hard to distinguish the platforms at retail, but it's going to be harder for them to lodge these devices in people's minds because of the similarity.

Won't that screw battery power? The more powerful these systems get the bigger the drain on the battery, even the 3DS appears to have been effected with some sites reporting 3 hours so just what will this PS3 hybrid offer? 30 minutes to an hour :o

It's cool, it'll jack into your body's metabolism to power itself. I hear that the new Final Fantasy's going to be a full Jimmy Chung's banquet worth of gameplay.

• Upvote 2

It's probably the case that you have to have the console plugged into the mains at all times.

It'll be like playing Afterburner on my GameGear all over again.

Clearly it's going to use Sony's wireless energy. And 10% of the human population will die of a new kind of radiation poising a year later.

Just to re-clarify, I don't think it's an issue that it's hard to distinguish the platforms at retail, but it's going to be harder for them to lodge these devices in people's minds because of the similarity.

I agree with Alex - it didn't occur to me how confusing the wii/kinect/move thing was, but speaking to family over christmas (rather than other games developers at work) made it blatantly obvious: typical consumers can not differentiate the three. When I started thinking about it, its understandable.