IGNORED

Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors

Steven

Woo, another convert. :) You won't regret that price.

One point to note though, if you picked up the 3DS version, be very sure to not save in any puzzle room. There's a well documented bug that unfortunately causes the game to freeze and in some cases requires the deletion of your save file.

That said, I only had 2 freezes on my 30 hour playthrough and both were resolved by switching the power on and off.

I've very nearly finished everything on this (unless something really weird opens up but I've done all the endings apart from 'the' ending and already used my knowledge.

It's very clever, as I said in the 3DS thread, I love the way it was written and planned out in a way that knows it's a game, it's actually a good story but not something that would ever work in film or TV due to it's very nature. I automatically enjoy it more because of that uniqueness for some reason or another.

Some of the puzzles are a bit bloody annoying though, there are a few that I did rather shamefully have to cheat on but weirdly, I pretty much always managed to get the 'secret' safe code before I got the normal one.

This just became the final game I've finished in 2012. I say finished, I have reached one ending:

little anime girl hacked me to bits :(

I wasn't feeling it after an hour but I'm glad I persevered with it. I also didn't think I'd go for all the endings but I kind of feel like I have to now. £15 well spent.

Playthrough 2 complete, I just took all the alternate branches this time. This game is amazing. Kurt Vonnegut references! In a game!

I'm going to follow the chart in Mr Jeff's post above to get all the endings now but is there anything I should know that might not be apparent from looking at that before I start?

My first playthrough I never got the bookmark from Santa and never heard any mention of ice-9, but I did this time and turned down the chance to give the bookmark to Clover after the operating theatre puzzle room. When I continue my save again is the knowledge of ice-9 and my having had the bookmark in a previous playthrough enough to lead me down that branch on the left of the chart or am I reading it wrong?

If you're asking whether information you learned in a previous playthrough carries over then the answer is no. When you reach that decision point again you'll still have to say "yes" and skim through all the relavent text again for it to properly function. The sequel does sort out this problem by having a menu system a lot like that flow chart where you can skip to specific decisions/points

On the subject of endings, I'd highly recommend going for the coffin route. I never did find out whether it's still possible to get that ending after having the safe end but I'd say it's best not take chances. Plus that gives a nice gap between when you reach the true end as well.

Hope that made sense!

I finished this last night on my fifth playthrough. Absolutely stunning. The way in which it brought everything together at the end was amazing. Really cleverly written and remarkably cohesive given how many plot strands and alternate possibilities the game came up with throughout.

Definitely going to get the sequel now - but it appears to be sold out everywhere on the 3DS. Might have to grit my teeth and get it from the eStore. Does the sequel carry on from the end of 999? Does it provide any answer to that final scene in the epilogue?

• 1 month later...

Doesn't seem popular enough to warrant a thread but I've started VLR now and it's a bit special, isn't it? I don't like the characters as much if I'm honest and it's a little disappointing it recycles so much of the first game's soundtrack but all the stuff they've added like the flowchart and the memo screen is pretty great. Also I notice it retains the passwords you picked up on a first playthrough so I assume you don't have to redo the puzzle rooms from scratch every time, I only noticed this after completing the elevator puzzle the second time :lol: Good stuff.

I have had one ending so far and it was so bad I didn't even get the trophy for getting a bad ending.

Yep, you were right. Once I'd done a few endings and seen the point of the flowchart and realised what the the story "locks" were I changed my tune and the story just kept getting more delightfully insane the closer to the end I got. I have one really dumb question for anyone who's finished this:

There's a puzzle in the Treatment Room where a painting of a lion lowers and a laser comes out from the wall behind it and projects all the way through to the wall in the room with the three pods. What was the point of that? It seemed utterly bizarre at the time and nothing since really explained it unless it was intended to mark the person in the number 3 pod but that seems pretty weak. Odd.

Also this isn't really a spoiler but I'll save the surprise in case anyone else plays this:

post-6207-0-82047900-1361741651.jpg

:lol: I love K.

There's a puzzle in the Treatment Room where a painting of a lion lowers and a laser comes out from the wall behind it and projects all the way through to the wall in the room with the three pods. What was the point of that? It seemed utterly bizarre at the time and nothing since really explained it unless it was intended to mark the person in the number 3 pod but that seems pretty weak. Odd.

It's been a couple of months but:

Isn't it the case that when the laser is on and you raise one of the pod doors, it gives either a number or a time necessary for one of the passwords?

Glad you enjoyed the game in the end, I hope you went all the way and got the complete ending with all the gold files for ultimate brain melting. :)

Laser:

Nope. Just looked up a walk through to check and the times are just printed on the inside of the pods, I think the laser hits the wall over it too. Maddening. I had thought it would turn out to be something important like the keyhole in the gravestone which I'd noticed at the time I did that room and was getting anxious that I might never get to see what it did until right at the end

I did indeed get all the files and the brain-melting ending. I was a husk by the end of it, just taking what the game was telling me and deciding I would think about it later as I couldn't make full sense of it in real time. it reminded me a bit of Primer that way. Can't wait for the third and final one now.

• 1 year later...

So after looking for a copy of 999 for years, I finally got hold of it and been playing it over the last week.

It's utterly batshit insane, isn't it? I've got 5 of the endings, including the true ending just now and I'm thinking "what the fuck" for most of it because I thought the concept of the game (and the reason for the multiple playthroughs) was convoluted enough.

Greatly enjoyed it though and I can finally start Virtue's Last Reward. The first ending I got wasn't terrible so the subsequent bad endings were quite a shock.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm about to start playing this, but before I do, was it this or VLR which has a potentially game-fucking bug? I seem to recall something about saving in the wrong place could mean you have to start again? If it is this, how do I avoid it? Cheers.

OK, this is pretty damn cool. Completed a playthrough, and

Clover went on a crazy axe rampage. :lol: Then a caption came up saying Bad End. No shit!

I like this, it's well written and mysterious. It's made me want to play through again and try for a different ending, and to see what's through the other doors which I didn't go through this time.

The main issue with 999 is that there are a lot of paths which can lead to the same endings. In the end I had to get a guide to show me how to get to which ending, just so I wasn't repeating myself. Even the sped-up text is too slow on your fourth play through as well!