One Chance

elmo

I'd urge people not to read spoilers until they play this. And please do play it.

I

saved the world and sat in the park with my daughter. Wife killed herself, though.

That said, I've got an awful feeling my daughter was dead. She didn't move when I put her down at work. :(

went to work, thought I could do something in the lab, chapter ended every time I went in.. second day coworker topped himself off the roof, wife topped herself after that(complete with wanky emo music), went to work one last time with the kid, then took the kid to the park on the last day where we died.. all alone.... in the snow :rolleyes:

Don't think it has a message to e honest. I think it tries to build up the susspence of of a world ending.

The game tells you that you can save the world so you kind of frantically think about the options the game gives you.

I think it does what it wants to do very well.

See, I think it does have a message:

I reckon the One Chance of the title is the chance to spend those last days with your family. I went to the lab to try and save the world, but looking back on it, I feel guilty for the wife's suicide. The only 'good' thing I did was going to the park with my daughter on the final day.

I reckon everyone will take it in a slightly different way, but that's what I got from it. Nice work.

Exactly the same as Gique.

I'm all sad now.

@Rudderless - how did you save the world? I went into work every day apart from the last, where I went straight to the park. It seemed the right thing to do.

I went into work on the last day. Actually, I don't know whether I saved anything, whether anyone else was still alive by that stage. I really wish I could tell whether my daughter was dead or not.

As for the message...

It partly refers to the one-time-only nature of the game, obviously, but it's also ambiguous. It's saying you have one chance - and that's either one chance to find a cure, or to spend time with your family before the world ends, or even to fuck the girl at work who fancies one last bit of rumpo before the apocalypse.

I suppose that makes sense, bit I still have a problem with it's ripped format. The way you control too, what does it add in One Chance? Why take such precise details from EDTSD that mean nothing in a different context?

If you haven't played EDTSD I'd give it a go, I enjoyed it far more. You'll see what I mean by 'ripped':

driving your car? roof top suicide? progress chart? I mean come on!

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is that in EDTSD everything about it's design has been choosen to reflect 'its message', whereas One Chance seems like it's just taken that game and adapted certain bits to match it's own.

Same as above.

Anyone played Every day the same dream?

It seems completely ripped from that.

It is very similar, but I found this better executed and more affecting.

And where the format for EDTSD makes sense (like repetition of waking up, speaking to wife etc) I don't see how this works with One Chance.

It's almost the opposite from EDTSD in that

getting out of work isn't the point of the game, whereas in EDTSD the idea is to break the routine. You work every day (apart from day two, where it's impossible) in One Chance and you find a cure.

It's almost the opposite from EDTSD in that

getting out of work isn't the point of the game, whereas in EDTSD the idea is to break the routine. You work every day (apart from day two, where it's impossible) in One Chance and you find a cure.

So why have a routine at all in One Chance? There is no need whatsoever. He needn't have copied the format at all! It's just pure lack of imagination and misunderstanding of his source 'inspiration'.

EDIT: As in, what does the whole 'routine' concept have to do with One Chance's message? It even conflicts with the title!

As usual for me with most 'original vs remix' comparisons I'll normally always favour the original. It's where all the creative effort and inspiration is found.

The bleak atmosphere, minimal but effective graphics, the way you're made to perform dull time-consuming tasks (like the slow walking and driving your car), the impact of waking up to the same room stuck in a desperate cycle to change something. These were all uniquely created by the guy behind EDTSD. It doesn't matter if One Chance could be considered 'better' for it's improvements (which I would disagree with). Comparatively it is creatively hollow.

I went to work every day, some people died, wife died, took kid to park, i died, had hilarious glitch where zombie child came to work with me on the last day even tho she was dead, or maybe it was the game being emo and trying to make me think it was her ghost or something

thrilling stuff

MAJOR spoilers

so I'm guessing the only way to save the world is to go to the lab every day but by doing so you'll neglect your family and lose your wife and child.

I've beenthinking about this all day. I want to play it again but I know I shouldn't.

I died in the park with my daughter. Went for beers on the first day and rather stupidly slept with the woman from work while my wife died at home.

I am such an arsehole. Fantastic game, was not expecting it to be so touching, i found myself trying to reverse the stupid mistakes earlier on.

Loved it.

Saying it's a bit like EDTSD is a fairly redundant argument, every game is a bit like something else. Don't damn it for taking that idea and stepping a different way with it. It's a free 5 minute novelty that made me think about it for much longer than the time I spent playing it. Sounds like a decent result to me, I'd be very proud if it were my creation.

Good stuff.

MAJOR spoilers

so I'm guessing the only way to save the world is to go to the lab every day but by doing so you'll neglect your family and lose your wife and child.

I've beenthinking about this all day. I want to play it again but I know I shouldn't.

I'm not sure

you do save the world. You might just be saving yourself. It's ambiguous as to whether you're too late to rescue anyone else. Upon reflection, I do think my daughter was dead at the end. :(

Rarely has a game affected me like this. I've been thinking about it all day, even though it was yesterday that I played it.

Loved it.

Saying it's a bit like EDTSD is a fairly redundant argument, every game is a bit like something else. Don't damn it for taking that idea and stepping a different way with it. It's a free 5 minute novelty that made me think about it for much longer than the time I spent playing it. Sounds like a decent result to me, I'd be very proud if it were my creation.

Good stuff.

Sorry, but if you're going to make something in the 'games are art' field, then ripping directly from something else becomes a bit more noticeable. We don't mind shameless idea stealing as much in most mainstream games as their main concern is more to do with providing a fun gameplay experience (or at least providing something that people are willing to pay for).

Don't get me wrong, the premise and plot elements are interesting. Just wish the creator had gone that little bit further to create something that can stand on it's own.

I was responsible for the virus so I did everything I could to stop it, regardless of the consequences. Letting my personal feelings get in the way would have been selfish and irresponsible.

I lost my wife but that mattered little to me in comparison to killing half the world's population. If there was even the slightest thing I could to to potentially help what was left, there was no other choice.

Fortunately my efforts were rewarded with a cure and I got to spend the final moments of the game in the park with my daughter. Though I think Rudderless may have ruined it for me as I fear that he's right.

If the game had left out the responsibility aspect and the possibility for a cure, it might have been more interesting. Knowing there's absolutely nothing you can do to affect the outcome, forcing the player to seriously think about how they would spend their final moments.

If this happened tomorrow, what would you ACTUALLY do? Seriously. It's not an easy question, but the game made it easy by making the mistake yours and giving you a chance to resolve it. Why would you do anything else?

Had exactly the same outcome as Rudderless.

Is there even an option to stay at home the whole way through? I always get the impression with these kind of things that it won't move on to the next day until you hit a certain point. I don't remember seeing an option (at least early on) to stay at home.