GAMING ADDICTION...

Danster

I've given this quite a lot of thought recently and have realised that playing videogames regularly has a generally negative affect on me. Firstly, I actually enjoy the gametime less as I play more. This is because I have increased level of expectation around my performance levels which are easily let down leading to frustration. The less I play, the more I just enjoy the game for what it is, a game.

Fortunately, I feel like I'm fairly self-aware and avoid or limit things if I realise they're having a damaging affect on my wider life. I think this is where the difference is between myself and people with an addictive personality. Regardless of the addiction, those people typically have an awareness that their addiction is having a negative affect yet can't stop. I can easily see why this is a problem with respect to videogames but it's equally applicable to many things in life; the gym, eating, drinking, sex etc. Anything which gives an endorphine rush really.

So, just finished watching Panorama. WHAT THE f**k.

Pretty much anything is addictive if you do it all the time and enjoy it enough on inception. Psychological addiction is something that, in my opinion, says more about the person than whatever it is they are addicted to.

I have quite an addictive personality but it doesn't mean I'd play a game until I'm pissing in a bottle or kicking in my siblings door.

All I could see when watching all those parents talk about their kids issues was "Why the f**k are you LETTING your son play for 20 hours a day?". I've been into video games for pretty much as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I might have wanted to play for days on end from time to time but would my mum let me do that? Of course she wouldn't, because I went to school and had friends. When someone is young you need to TEACH them how to manage their life. Isn't that the job of parents in this world????

Some of these people are from another world. "He was playing computer games for 20 hours a day, not going to school, not speaking to the family", Oh, yeah, and what were you doing about it?!? Blaming that the game is addictive! If you don't like it take the f**king console/PC/handheld away! If you command so little respect from your children then you need to sort out your parenting skills, not a fantastic industry that's progressive, innovative and already under appreciated in this country.

f**king hell...

I fondly remember the times my mum would come to my room and complain to me about how I was addicted compuutor games while I was playing my Master System. How they were like a drug and bad for me. A few years later my Dad started having ago as well, in one of his attempted motivational speeches, how I should do something with my life like he thinks he did at my age when he traveled to Belgium once or when on camping trips. He even did the classic "It just makes beep beep beep noises". Yes, the sound chips of a SNES really was that crap. <_<

What they failed to see that I was working a lot of hours, six days a week, often with whatever overtime I could get. To be even to afford that nice TV, sound system, pile of import games and consoles. Work hard, earn money, buy games.

Parents should actually take and interest and encourage their children hobbies. Never know, might end up with a good career in the game industry. :sherlock:

I'm currently suffering from the outer side of gaming addiction, where all my friends have decided to sod off and play Cataclysm, when they're supposed to be working on a group assessment for uni with me which has to be handed in next Tuesday. Fuckers.

I fondly remember the times my mum would come to my room and complain to me about how I was addicted compuutor games while I was playing my Master System. How they were like a drug and bad for me. A few years later my Dad started having ago as well, in one of his attempted motivational speeches, how I should do something with my life like he thinks he did at my age when he traveled to Belgium once or when on camping trips. He even did the classic "It just makes beep beep beep noises". Yes, the sound chips of a SNES really was that crap. <_<

What they failed to see that I was working a lot of hours, six days a week, often with whatever overtime I could get. To be even to afford that nice TV, sound system, pile of import games and consoles. Work hard, earn money, buy games.

Parents should actually take and interest and encourage their children hobbies. Never know, might end up with a good career in the game industry. :sherlock:

I don't think my parents ever had any idea that my gaming could be turned into anything positive (in their eyes). I'm sure that if they had been better educated, or took more interest in games, then they would have realised that my interest could have been directed into a career.

I think that part of the problem is that gaming is still not socially acceptable for the vast majority of people, despite the advent of the Wii.

Did anyone listen to Weekend Confirmed this week? I thought it was interesting when they were speaking about gaming not being socially acceptable at College.

Very few people I know play video games. If you are not in the "crowd" who regularly plays then you may not know anyone who plays.

This is why you a programme like exists, yet there isn't one on TV or Film. Gaming is still not seen as mainstream. Why do you think it needs to keep justifying itself as being "the biggest entertainment medium"?

Games are really aiming at diverse demographics now

I think the video speaks for itself.

I had a bit of a discussion with a self confessed gamer today and a non-gamer at work. The gamer stood and proudly confessed his mini-addiciton for Animal Crossing and, to the neutral, it sounded utterly bizarre... the non-gamer couldn't understand why a grown man would play something like Animal Crossing; a game totally designed to keep you coming back to play in a specific schedule. I am positive that some Animal Crossing players will have things like Yay Day written in their real life diaries, note down when Joan is next coming to the village etc. etc. and if you stop and think about it, that's completely odd behaviour. I've not played WOW but from what I've read, it's whole design and structure encourages regular playing and lengthy playing; a "successful" WOW player is a regular player (from what I've heard and read).

The Panorama programme only spent about two minutes discussing the game mechanics however and pretty much went for the OMG factor with the drop out and the violent boy who obviously lost control playing games. I think, as online communities etc. grow and online gaming becomes far more mainstream, we'll end up with an otaku style sub culture.