IGNORED

Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights

Monkeyboy

In the mid-hundreds of thousands, I think. I can't remember the figures but ISTR they almost halved after the first one.

Edit: 1.3 million -> 575K. Ouch.

575K...Is that a particularly bad amount for that time?

I have no idea, I'm just hoping that a)This isn't renewed and b)Frankie Boyle has lost a substantial amount of whatever popularity he had.

Well I've finally watched it. The first three episodes in one sitting. As someone that has never seen him live and never watched him on 'Mock The Week' as I found it the most insufferably smug programme on television, I found the standup sections mildly amusing. Sometimes. In fact the best bit so far has been utterly unplanned (I guess), the mocking of an audience member that installs telephones for a living. But those sketches. Fuck me, those sketches. Does anyone find them funny? Anyone?

I'm really surprised Boyle got his own show, and this is coming from someone who really liked a lot of his gags on MTW. Did anyone at Channel 4 really think he had the widespread appeal for a primetime slot purely filled with his material? Bear in mind this has nothing to do with the quality of it - more that the very nature of his humour is incredibly polarising and everyone knows that.

I suppose they perhaps wanted him to "have a go", as they're always going to be after the next "Is It Bill Bailey", and I guess that says good things about their willingness to take risks on a new programme - but that's the only positive thing I really have to say about it.

I hear if you pour the bleach direct into your eyes it'll help stop watching this in future.

In my defence I am ill and I had them all in the same folder. It seemed easier somehow than actually having to make a decision about watching something else.

Really, there is no justification. The order would be something along the lines of:

- Watching Tramadol Nights, in turn giving CH4 / FB the slightest hint that this is anything other than a huge pile of shite.

- Buying pirate DVDs, indirectly supporting terrorism.

- Giving a tramp a few quid, knowing it will be spent on drugs.

Really, there is no justification. The order would be something along the lines of:

- Watching Tramadol Nights, in turn giving CH4 / FB the slightest hint that this is anything other than a huge pile of shite.

- Buying pirate DVDs, indirectly supporting terrorism.

- Giving a tramp a few quid, knowing it will be spent on drugs.

I downloaded it, so I am probably supporting terrorism or something.

There is a single plus side to the show. The theme tune is awesome. I had never heard it before. Searching for it on YuTube reminds me that I really need to see The Fantastic Mr Fox

I downloaded it, so I am probably supporting terrorism or something.

There is a single plus side to the show. The theme tune is awesome. I had never heard it before. Searching for it on YuTube reminds me that I really need to see The Fantastic Mr Fox

You really should watch Fantastic Mr. Fox, preferably while on something. It's freaking awesome.

It's really, really shit. He's basically just not clever enough to write shocking material that genuinely pushes the envelope in the way he so obviously imagines himself to be doing, so has to resort to the most offensive tripe he can muster just to get a laugh, and ends up with an act more like the kind of thing expect to hear coming from the mouth of a 12 year old on the school playground as he desperately tries to impress his mates with all the naughty words he knows.

Reading back through the thread about the Jade Goody joke, surely Russell Brand and Jonathon Ross got taken off the air for a lot less?

It's really, really shit. He's basically just not clever enough to write shocking material that genuinely pushes the envelope in the way he so obviously imagines himself to be doing, so has to resort to the most offensive tripe he can muster just to get a laugh, and ends up with an act more like the kind of thing expect to hear coming from the mouth of a 12 year old on the school playground as he desperately tries to impress his mates with all the naughty words he knows.

Reading back through the thread about the Jade Goody joke, surely Russell Brand and Jonathon Ross got taken off the air for a lot less?

If it was on the BBC then The Daily Mail would have gone apeshit and all the Murdoch media outlets would have joined in.

However it was on Channel Four. In fact, I found Boyle's obvious bitterness towards the BBC quite embarrassing. He did a few things about stuff that got cut out of BBC shows he was on. Frankie, maybe they were cut because they were shit? Maybe your one line wasn't but the rest of the segment was?

I fucking hate it when comedians laugh at their own jokes as well. Especially his sniveling little shit laugh.

If it was on the BBC then The Daily Mail would have gone apeshit and all the Murdoch media outlets would have joined in.

However it was on Channel Four.

Also, don't forget that Frankie Boyle writes for NOTW, so the Murdoch papers are unlikely to drag him over the coals.