Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - still the best Halo!

It looks great, but they should have kept the fog. It's an integral and massively important beginning to the level.

I know they kept saying they didn't want to change things just for the sake of it, but I hope they've realised the importance of some of the design decisions Bungie made with the original rather than thinking it was because of a technical issue.

It looks great, but they should have kept the fog. It's an integral and massively important beginning to the level.

I know they kept saying they didn't want to change things just for the sake of it, but I hope they've realised the importance of some of the design decisions Bungie made with the original rather than thinking it was because of a technical issue.

To be fair, even Bungie themselves have never understood the importance some of the design decisions of the original ;)

• Upvote 6

True dat.

I'm sort of hoping 343 can recapture that essence for Halo 4. I'm not overly optimistic though as Bungie couldn't manage it in the following 3 that they made.

I didn't know the Xbox was capable of 3D? Specially the older models. Will this be full-on 1.4 hdmi stereoscopic 3D, twin 720p frame buffer configuration? Or some option that's there to just say 'it's in 3D' but it'll look crap.

True dat.

I'm sort of hoping 343 can recapture that essence for Halo 4. I'm not overly optimistic though as Bungie couldn't manage it in the following 3 that they made.

Not sure it's even recapturable tho. Fluke etc...

That looks fantastic; I love the way that they've kept the original level's basic aesthetic, but just massively widened the scope and the scale of it. One of the things I didn't like about the remade maps in Halo 3 was the way that the whole vibe of a level was changed, with Lockout's bizarre remodelling into some rubbish oil rig being the most egregious example. With this, the maps look like the same places, refracted through some kind of awesomeness prism.

About the only thing I don't like is the way that the cliff on Installation 4 seems a lot lower than in the original Halo - you got the sense of a really vertiginous drop in the original, whereas the cliffs in the new map seem a lot less of a drop. Extreme nitpicking, obviously.

They've made 343 Guilty Spark look like Fern Gully. I think I'm just going to have to get used to the fact that this isn't really a HD version of the original, but rather a kind of re-imagining where everything has a gleaming sheen on it and the colour palette is far more broad. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just not really what I was hoping for.

unbelievable... just watched the new version. the best bit about that, even though its not something i looked forward to, was the atmosphere. as someone mentioned it's not supposed to be a well it furn gully.

Installation 04 is an excellent choice for a Firefight map, since that area in the original Halo level is a pretty good contender for the title of best encounter in the entire series - in my opinion definitely right up there with the giant Two Betrayals battle!

It's a location that works well whether you want to approach it from long range (starting by parking the warthog at the top of the hill and having the gunner take out as many enemies as possible, before getting out and using the sniper rifle), or play hide and seek between the pipes that enemies can't get into and into the tunnels where the marines are hiding.

With any luck that layout will be just as suited to Firefight as it is to the Campaign. :D

You're not wrong. Elephant in the room much? And shall we complain more if they have changed it, or if they haven't?

Jaime Griesemer once told Edge that in the Library's original version, more of the hallways used to look out into the big central chasm, but they had to close everything off to maintain a good framerate. So maybe the revamped version will replace some of those walls with transparent windows to get closer to that original design?

Jaime Griesemer once told Edge that in the Library's original version, more of the hallways used to look out into the big central chasm, but they had to close everything off to maintain a good framerate. So maybe the revamped version will replace some of those walls with transparent windows to get closer to that original design?

Yeah, I remember those comments. If that is what happens, it'll be interesting to see whether a bit more texture and variety to the environment can enhance the level. I think the locked doors on Assault on the Control Room enrich the level, for example, so maybe it will be of some help.

It is one of the rare occasions when you get to simply appreciate the weapon and enemy design without the higher-level tactical elements, but the disorienting level layouts were uncharacteristically inelegant. Knowing what the large-scale layout actually is should improve subsequent replays.

• Upvote 2

They've made 343 Guilty Spark look like Fern Gully. I think I'm just going to have to get used to the fact that this isn't really a HD version of the original, but rather a kind of re-imagining where everything has a gleaming sheen on it and the colour palette is far more broad. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just not really what I was hoping for.

Well, it is an HD version of the original.

Just press the Back button.

Sounds like they've made some visual changes to The Library...(unless the bolded part is of them talking about 343 GS, but then I don't really remember there being a big pillar anywhere in that level..in any case, I'm pretty tired, so apologies if they aren't talking about The Library)

“For example, 343 Guilty Spark had a lot of fog, and people associate that fog with broodiness, mood, terror as the Flood came out,” he said. “But one of the realities is that yes, the fog was there for all those reasons, but it was also in there as a performance saver, as fog used to be. [so we found] other things we could do to give it mood and give it a somberness.

“We also said at some point, ‘If we’re doing something with the graphics, we should really do something with it, not just ape exactly what was there. The Library is another good example.

“It had this big pillar in the center which was put in, again, to occlude objects so you don’t have to draw every enemy in the game. We took this opportunity to re-light the level, do stuff with the textures, and some of the effects to make it much more navigable.”

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/30/343-sometimes-had-to-do-more-than-just-tweak-halo-anniversarys-visuals/

And some MP vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxw1FsCEUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yudrvfKjQSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdqBkV-9IDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qpYtO5dcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXL0XtTVPW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ag884JAqDE

:)

• Upvote 1