Buying games to moan about

Systemshock

I only try and buy games that I think that I'll like and spend some time weighing them up before I buy them but, judging from some recent posts, loads of you seem to buy games that you don't like (or perhaps borrow them for the specific purposes of criticising).

Why is that?

I'll admit to buying Enter the Matrix just to see what it was like but i knew that one would be a train wreck.

I think people think they'll like the game buy it and the hate it.

ETM was the only game i've ever done it with but as i missed out on the ET fiasco i wanted in on ground level this time.

I'm playing through all my old games that i bought because i wanted but never played. Eternal Darkness at the mo, damn it's good.

Why is that?

...because they don't actually own them. They read other peoples comments, magazine reviews, and watch trailers.

Then they appear to be a bottomless cesspit of knowledge on all things mediocre.

Either that, or they have money to burn, and went to the Stevie Wonder school for choosing video games. :D

Why is that?

...because they don't actually own them. They read other peoples comments, magazine reviews, and watch trailers.

Then they appear to be a bottomless cesspit of knowledge on all things mediocre.

Either that, or they have money to burn, and went to the Stevie Wonder school for choosing video games. :D

The second one for me.

Plus I never sell stuff. Ever.

I buy things, if it's shit, I keep it as a reminder not to be so stupid ever again.

I'm also able to see faults in things that I like, so that it appears that I dislike things that I actually like.

I also need to play steaming piles of turd sometimes for review purposes.

So, there ya go!

Is this a thinly-veiled Mario Kart thread? Don't make me get the picture out.

No it wasn't (although a thread calling it Double Gash is a good example of what I meant and another blazing the fact that IGN had thrashed 1080 Avalanche when they hadn't is another).

Yes, I really love to spend 40 quid on stuff I don't like. :D

EH? I thought you lived in some other country? What are you on about 40 quid!? That's some crafty localisation of your posts!

Sprite Machine: Same here. Never sell anything. (Unless it's a duplicate).

I get around the buying games I won't like thing by waiting. That way, you'll have:

a.) A better idea of whether you'll like it or whether it is worth owning.

b.) Spent less money.

Currently waiting with regards to: KOTOR, Double Dash (though I'm pretty certain on that being worth buying), Donkey Konga. There's never so little to play that one has to buy the latest games.

Probably the least favourite game I've bought over the last year was ShenMue 2, and that was because it was reduced and I'd heard so many fab things about it...

And it's not bad at all...just time consuming, and anti-social which is limiting the amount I can get involved due to work/girlfriend...

Being older and having so much other stuff to splash out on means I'm tending to hold off on any 50/50 purchases...Plus getting into retro stuff means I can get reasonable games for old machines for £5, rather than risk £15+ on something of the same quality...

On a related note I played MGS2 all the way through just so I coulod take the high moral ground and tell everyone else I knew just how shit I thought it was/is.

Shouldn't that be WATCHED MGS2 all the way through, or did I miss the gameplay bits!

I just picked up MGS2: Substance for the documentary, I'll probably never play the game.

On a related note I played MGS2 all the way through just so I coulod take the high moral ground and tell everyone else I knew just how shit I thought it was/is.

Shouldn't that be WATCHED MGS2 all the way through, or did I miss the gameplay bits!

I just picked up MGS2: Substance for the documentary, I'll probably never play the game.

Well, yes. MGS2 doe kind of pass you by doesn't it. I forced myself to play it through though. I loved the PS version, and thought the boat section was brillo and in the spirit of the previous title. After that, it was up-its-own-arse-o-vision all the way.