rllmuk

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ShopTo have sent me a picture of this in a jiffy bag, waiting to be sent.

It's just sat their in a warehouse. Taunting me.

I WANT IT NOW :omg:

I too have received a photo of my order awaiting dispatch. Gotta love those shopto packing robots.

Unfortunately seeing the package has made the imminent arrival of the game all the more real in my mind and I can no longer focus on anything else. Sigh.

Ok, so I've had about 15 hours on this now, and as someone who really didn't get on with Oblivion I have to say it's mostly been a really pleasant surprise. Graphically it's lovely. It doesn't grab you by the balls the second you start playing, but for consistency it excels; animation aside it never looks less than convincing and is particularly solid. It seems to be incredibly open-ended, there's never been a lack of options and straight away you can cause trouble instead of doing the obvious. There seems a lot of scope for freedom and naughtiness.

The world is HUGE. I walked in one direction for ten straight minutes and in relation to the world map it barely registered. Overwhelmingly massive.

The only place it's fallen down so far is the combat. It's been purely close-quarters so far and the fighting feels awkward and unnatural. There's nothing like the subtlety of Dark Souls. I kind of expected it after playing Oblivion but I was hoping it would be better than this. I have to remind myself of the games excellence in other areas while I'm fighting, at least so far. Hopefully the fighting will get more tactical later as my skill improves. For the first 15 hours it's been very, very tedious indeed.

Overall more positive than I thought I would be, though.

• Upvote 4

Good impressions Timmo, are you melee-only? I recommend adding some offensive magic to make things a bit less tedious. Twas the way with Oblivion too. In the past I've compared it to playing Bioshock with the wrench and no plasmids. It's a shame they couldn't expand the melee combat, it wouldn't exactly be difficult.

The overworld is meant to be about 16 square miles according to Bethesda.

Well, I've crunched some numbers and Dark Elf is still the only decent choice for me. I thought Breton or High Elf might be close, but actually only Khajit and Argonian were and I really don't like the way either of them look. I just need to pick a name now, I'm probably going to call him Ren. Then it's back to painfully waiting :(

A sneaky mage for me first time through, going by that excellent chart probably a weird looking Dunmer. Thursday will be a good day.

Anyone know what the great balance thing in that chart bestows exactly? Or does it just mean these guys are just especially good for moulding into any playstyle?

I have a quick question.. How often do you run into spiders?

Being an arachnophobia these are the monsters I am looking forward to the least.. :o

I watched a video of the first 20 mins, it had spiders in. Big fat ones which hiss and drop on you from the ceiling :(

Currently thinking of going either my usual Redguard, or an Imperial just for a change. All boils down to either 50% poison resist or getting extra money. Hmm.

Also probably going my usual Warrior with heals, though might go a dual wield berserker type. Gotta have me them cool looking finishers either way, so melee archetype at least!