rllmuk

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Pete Hines said it was different unlocks for different regions on twitter. I'm hoping for 00.01 :D

This is what has confused me, as he's also been repoorted as saying the exact opposite! Anyway, I can see myself getting baws deep into this for weeks, only coming up for air via co-op sessions on SR3.

How are my fellow Master Racer's planning on playing this? With a controller or keyboard+mouse? I was assuming the latter, but the more videos I've seen, it looks like getting one of them new fangled xbox 360 for Windows controllers might be a good idea for the whole dual-spell malarky.

I do like using the 360 controller for some PC Games, Mafia 3 was wonderful for example.

However aiming spells/ranged weapons on a 360 pad is always tricky for me. I recently got Borderlands on the PC and playing with the mouse where I'd played it on the 360 before...and suddenly on the PC I was loving the sniper rifle.

Having also played Oblivion a few days ago I kept missing ranged spells on the pad, hard to correct while people are running about.

Its kinda sad that I am rather impressed by the

'3d map'

and the

interactive load screens showing off different objects in the game

Also, current 'deathclaw' equivalent seems to be

the giants sitting about in small camps. Even at level 10 am making no dent against them

Quick load/favourites menu is god-send.

lolz, at the negging.

• Upvote 4

Its kinda sad that I am rather impressed by the

'3d map'

and the

interactive load screens showing off different objects in the game

Also, current 'deathclaw' equivalent seems to be

the giants sitting about in small camps. Even at level 10 am making no dent against them

Quick load/favourites menu is god-send.

lolz, at the negging.

Deathclaws were the bane of my melee/unarmed character in New Vegas. They were almost impossible to sneak up on.

Same here, after Morrowind it felt like a massive step back in Oblivion. Hopefully it's not as annoying/obvious in Skyrim, but I really hope that is one of the things they improve upon in ES6 on the NextBox 720.

Ha, I was actually just taking the piss.. I mean, sure it's a shame but it really doesn't spoil that much for me.

Definitely 360 controller for me, those Bethesda open world game stend to be designed with that specific controller in mind - and it will also allow me to enjoy this on a decent telly sitting on a comfy couch :D

WHY IS THIS WEEK TAKING SO LONG FFS

They seem to have put a lot of thought into making the interface work with the controller, and I wonder how well that will translate to M+K. I can see myself switching between them, if there's some kind of ability to arrange stuff on shelves in your house M+K will be better for that.

Ha, I was actually just taking the piss.. I mean, sure it's a shame but it really doesn't spoil that much for me.

Doesn't it feel far more restricted and thus less immersive to you? In Morrowind I could be out and about picking herbs in the swamp and then run straight back into Balmora to sell my loot, buy some new stuff, pick up some quests and maybe rest at my house which I'd taken over from an Orc who had suffered an unfortunate accident. Balmore and Ald'Ruhn felt like an actual part of the eminently explorable open world. It was regrettable that the game still needed to load interiors separately (especially in Vivec, consisting of all those different cantons really spoiled that city and made it the worst location in the game) but given what the game accomplished with the available hardware I accepted it. I hoped that future hardware generations would be able to solve that problem with the interiors which would improve the game massively - and some low-budget B-game like Two Worlds actually managed it on the 360 (it has no loading time for any of the interiors, even in the biggest city - only for the underground caves) - but no Oblivion decided to make matters even worse by artificially separating ENTIRE FUCKING CITIES from the already sterile and repetitive generated game world in that game. And that is on top of having to load all the interiors in separately! Boy the increased power of the hardware really allowed Bethesda to make some some drastic improvements, didn't it?

I'm still hyped beyond all reason for Skyrim though :D

Or play the others first and Skyrim will be patched by the time you get to it? ;)

Unacceptable. Bugs and quirks are part of the Elder Scrolls experience. You will encounter your first bug in Skyrim and say to yourself "the real Elder Scrolls starts here". Let the ignorant masses go about their business with their puny games that are not Skyrim or - even worse - with such trivialities as "real life" or "loved ones", while we, as true connoisseurs and enthusiasts, immerse ourselves in the beautiful and atmospheric world of Skyrim. Tell your significant other that the wench better begone for tonight you dine in Windhelm!

• Upvote 5

It's a go for preload [on Steam], just isn't available yet. Pinged folks tonight to find out when it gets turned on.

:omg:

Yep [there will be a day 1 patch ready for the game]. All platforms going to 1.1 by 11/11/11.

:omg:

Skyrim Director: "Substantial" DLC Already in the Works

Speaking to Wired today, Skyrim director Todd Howard said that DLC is already in the works for the game, though Skyrim itself doesn't release until this Friday. Past Bethesda strategies have seen the company bouying large mission packs with smaller weapon and cosmetic downloads, and it sounds as though with Skyrim, they'll be focusing more on large, meaty add-ons.

"Very quick DLC might sell well," says Howard, "but that's not our priority … Our high-level thinking is that there'll be not as many [pieces of DLC], but they'll be bigger and more substantial. The goal overall is not necessarily to put out more content, but to make the game better."

"Very quick DLC might sell well," says Howard, "but that's not our priority … Our high-level thinking is that there'll be not as many [pieces of DLC], but they'll be bigger and more substantial. The goal overall is not necessarily to put out more content, but to make the game better."

This reads to me like they may release mod like DLC for consoles

Has anyone else ordered this from Asda Direct? My delivery status has been listed as "On Backorder" for the last couple of days, someone is getting hurt if I don't have Skyrim in my hand by Friday lunch time.

Thanks for that, a superb anthology. Two things struck me: the really impressive generational leap in fidelity between Morrowind and Skyrim (earlyish xbox to late 360 is quite something isn't it?); and the amount that developers have learned from Hollywood in making game trailers in the last decade!

Is it Friday yet?

Do Kajiits still have permanent night vision? It annoyed me a little bit in Oblivion, having everything blue tinted all the time.

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

:hat:

Khajiit don't have permanent night vision. It's a racial ability that you can use like a spell but it only last for a certain amount of time.

• Upvote 1